2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

slaps

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Postby slaps » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:29 am

I feel like this article best sums up my feelings on the Stars:

https://sports.yahoo.com/where-dallas-s ... 06483.html

Lambert basically says the offseason was fine, Pavelski was a good signing, and the Stars should be competitive, but they aren't an elite team that is legitimately in the Cup conversation.

One of the things I’ve seen a lot in the past couple of weeks is the idea that there’s some debate about whether the Dallas Stars should be considered Stanley Cup contenders. That seems a bit much considering they needed .929 goaltending to finish three points ahead of the cut line last season, but the persistence of these just-thinking-out-louds really makes me wonder.

We’ve heard a lot, for instance, about how they were a goal away from eliminating the Cup champions (albeit only in the second round). This is a very optimistic way to look at things, because I’m trying to remember if any other teams in recent years have famously been a goal away from eliminating the Cup champs and then underperformed collective expectations the following year. Can’t think of any.

Dallas obviously isn’t Ottawa. On paper, the Stars have a lot of the qualifications you need to be considered an elite team: Good (perhaps very good) coach, four high-end forwards, a couple of very good defencemen and a goalie who is often above average. That’s definitely going to put you in a position to compete.

That said, they did overperform last season and it got them to 93 points in what everyone acknowledges was a tough division. That division got even tougher over the summer, with Nashville adding offence, Colorado having probably the best off-season in the league, Chicago marginally improving, and Winnipeg maybe bouncing back. Also, St. Louis isn’t going to spend half the season in the toilet.

Where does that leave the Stars? Probably right around where they were last year, if we’re being honest. A good, and perhaps even very good team. But will they be great, or even elite? It’s not the most likely scenario.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:44 am

Not me, Cup or bust. :)

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:53 am

Chicago is going to suck ass next year. But, the rest of the teams will definitely be tough to beat.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Math

Postby Math » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:45 pm

Overall I got the same feeling, even though linking the 3-pt difference only to the ,929 goaltending percentage is way too simplist. I barely see the top-6 struggling again.

A ton of potential, but some question marks about defense (well, overall) depth as the Stars still need a brilliant Bishop in front of the next (about average won't suffice in the playoffs).

Just enter the *Dang ol'* playoffs. Once you're in, everything is open, and screw the "home-ice advantage" bullshit, it's a non-factor: in the last five playoffs, home teams won between 47% and 53% of all games, and even game #7 winners tend to be equally distributed between home and visitor teams.

Chicago and Minnesota will be in the bottom. Given the tight Central division, 2 WCs could go to central teams. So the Stars could easily make the 1st part of the season in the toilet, save some energy, go under the radar in a submarine operation, and then go on winning streaks to end up winning the Cup. Sounds like a plan !

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:45 pm

slaps wrote:I feel like this article best sums up my feelings on the Stars:

https://sports.yahoo.com/where-dallas-s ... 06483.html

Lambert basically says the offseason was fine, Pavelski was a good signing, and the Stars should be competitive, but they aren't an elite team that is legitimately in the Cup conversation.

One of the things I’ve seen a lot in the past couple of weeks is the idea that there’s some debate about whether the Dallas Stars should be considered Stanley Cup contenders. That seems a bit much considering they needed .929 goaltending to finish three points ahead of the cut line last season, but the persistence of these just-thinking-out-louds really makes me wonder.

We’ve heard a lot, for instance, about how they were a goal away from eliminating the Cup champions (albeit only in the second round). This is a very optimistic way to look at things, because I’m trying to remember if any other teams in recent years have famously been a goal away from eliminating the Cup champs and then underperformed collective expectations the following year. Can’t think of any.

Dallas obviously isn’t Ottawa. On paper, the Stars have a lot of the qualifications you need to be considered an elite team: Good (perhaps very good) coach, four high-end forwards, a couple of very good defencemen and a goalie who is often above average. That’s definitely going to put you in a position to compete.

That said, they did overperform last season and it got them to 93 points in what everyone acknowledges was a tough division. That division got even tougher over the summer, with Nashville adding offence, Colorado having probably the best off-season in the league, Chicago marginally improving, and Winnipeg maybe bouncing back. Also, St. Louis isn’t going to spend half the season in the toilet.

Where does that leave the Stars? Probably right around where they were last year, if we’re being honest. A good, and perhaps even very good team. But will they be great, or even elite? It’s not the most likely scenario.

False. The Stars were one bounce away from winning the Stanley Cup and are even closer now because Pavelski.

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:02 pm

Connor got a stuffed shark in red, white, and blue colors around the same time Pavelski signed here. I told Connor they call Pavelski "Captain America" and he named the shark Joe.

:gulp
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:45 pm

Their biggest problem last season was scoring goals, and they added a very good goal scorer. They also cut bait on some dead weight on the 4th line. They didn't go and make massive improvements, but addressing weaknesses is a good thing. If everything works out, they should be a playoff team again.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:00 pm

I see a lot of "hope Hintz is actually a legit top-6 player" type of issues. However, I think that's probably a better way to go than a roster full of overpaid, old, and slow veterans.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:01 pm

slaps wrote:I see a lot of "hope Hintz is actually a legit top-6 player" type of issues. However, I think that's probably a better way to go than a roster full of overpaid, old, and slow veterans.

Adding a full season of fully operational Hintz is another upgrade over last season.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:17 pm

That's assuming he doesn't go the way of Janmark.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:00 pm

Fabiann Brunnstrom was going to be the next Pavel Bure, let's not forget.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:28 pm

slaps wrote:Fabiann Brunnstrom was going to be the next Pavel Bure, let's not forget.

He kind of was. For a game.

Leonardo da Vinci

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:20 am

Troy McClure wrote:Their biggest problem last season was scoring goals, and they added a very good goal scorer. They also cut bait on some dead weight on the 4th line. They didn't go and make massive improvements, but addressing weaknesses is a good thing. If everything works out, they should be a playoff team again.

Despite the bit about one bounce away, I felt we actually got stronger towards the end instead of our traditional fade. So I'm truly more optimistic than usual w/ this style and system.

But, you never really know anything until you see the games.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:31 pm

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:Their biggest problem last season was scoring goals, and they added a very good goal scorer. They also cut bait on some dead weight on the 4th line. They didn't go and make massive improvements, but addressing weaknesses is a good thing. If everything works out, they should be a playoff team again.

Despite the bit about one bounce away, I felt we actually got stronger towards the end instead of our traditional fade. So I'm truly more optimistic than usual w/ this style and system.

They did. Even though he got hurt right away, the team overall looked better following the Zuccarello trade. Kind of like it injected some confidence. A guy like Comeau was far more productive those last six weeks than he was the previous part of the season.

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:45 pm

The ability to score goals and "think" the game at a high level is a skill. It's a skill that most forwards on the Stars don't possess. Seguin does, and Pavelski does. Guys like Benn and to some degree Comeau can't think the game like a Seguin or Pavelski, but they can finish off the setups from them. Adding guys who can think the game at an elite level, such as Zuccarello, has a trickle-down effect throughout the lineup.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:48 pm

I believe Benn thinks the game well, especially when he doesn't have the puck. His problem when he has the puck is he consistently waits one second too long and gets it taken away. But he often makes a great move right before that to get to open space, then just doesn't commit to using that extra space to move it or shoot it.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:51 pm

To your point though, the "thinking the game well" is what intrigues me about Jason Robertson. I thought he was just a pure scorer, but reading more on him he's also a really good play maker, which this team desperately needs.

That was really one of the most disappointing things about Nichushkin. His first year or two he seemed like a good play maker with some of the passes he'd make to open guys in the zone, but man, that sure went away. Maybe once his skating wasn't as good post injury he couldn't create the space to look for those plays.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:51 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
The Frugal Gourmet wrote:

They did. Even though he got hurt right away, the team overall looked better following the Zuccarello trade. Kind of like it injected some confidence. A guy like Comeau was far more productive those last six weeks than he was the previous part of the season.

Yeah, as late as February I was convinced that this team sucked and everyone should be fired/traded.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:56 pm

Okay, I think this is kinda funny that the Stars have a quote about having high expectations for this season and showing Seguin playing golf.

Golftakesapriority.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:11 pm

wonko80 wrote:That was really one of the most disappointing things about Nichushkin. His first year or two he seemed like a good play maker with some of the passes he'd make to open guys in the zone, but man, that sure went away. Maybe once his skating wasn't as good post injury he couldn't create the space to look for those plays.

This is kind of a suspicion of mine, too. Occasionally he got praised for his ability to protect the puck in the offensive zone, but I think the reason he did that was because he couldn’t think up anything better to do.
Could of.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:18 pm

wonko80 wrote:Okay, I think this is kinda funny that the Stars have a quote about having high expectations for this season and showing Seguin playing golf.

Golftakesapriority.png

That also showed up on my Facebook wall, and I lol'ed.

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:23 pm

wonko80 wrote:I believe Benn thinks the game well, especially when he doesn't have the puck. His problem when he has the puck is he consistently waits one second too long and gets it taken away. But he often makes a great move right before that to get to open space, then just doesn't commit to using that extra space to move it or shoot it.

I think Benn is (or used to be) really good at getting open, and has / had a wicked wrist shot. As long as he had someone who could get him the puck, it was likely going to be a goal. I don't think he thinks the game in an elite playmaking way, though.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:24 pm

wonko80 wrote:To your point though, the "thinking the game well" is what intrigues me about Jason Robertson. I thought he was just a pure scorer, but reading more on him he's also a really good play maker, which this team desperately needs.

That's probably my biggest objection to the Stars' drafting. They go for the safe pick that projects to be a 3rd-line guy. That's fine here and there, but they need to take a swing at guys who have the mental ability to do the hockey at an elite level.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:00 pm

“Thinking the game well” is a euphemism for not physically gifted. Spezza is slow, but he still has great hockey sense!

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:49 pm

It is when its used an excuse. But you can't tell me a guy like Seguin or Heiskanen or DeBrincat or Brayden Point don't see the game and the ice at vastly different level than Comeau or Dickinson. And not every player is going to be like that, but the Stars default to going for the Comeau / Dickinson guy at the draft when they should be trying for the DeBrincat / Point guy.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:18 pm

They do, but they’re never described that way. You just call them “good.”

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:54 pm

Possibly even above average.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:01 pm

Comeau was an offensive force before the NHL. So was Steve Ott.

I'm always confused by guys like that who suddenly can't score at all in the NHL. Is the NHL game really that different?

Leonardo da Vinci

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:28 pm

It's not different, it just moves so much faster. It's a common theme with players - in the AHL, they have so much extra time to think about what to do, where to go, etc. In the NHL, they get the puck and there is a guy on them almost instantly.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:43 am

This was a fun video. Crazy that they could field almost an entire roster with just Finnish ex/current Stars players.