2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

SaintAngerBH

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri May 10, 2019 2:48 pm

Hintz has gigantic balls of steel. Even with a broken foot, he's out there blocking shots. Lots of respect for that guy.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri May 10, 2019 2:58 pm

Even with a broken foot, he was faster than almost anyone else on the ice. That's crazy.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Fri May 10, 2019 3:51 pm

ToddM wrote:We got Seguin because in his last playoff series he went 1-for-70 for the Bruins. 70 shots on goal is phenomenal, just one behind the team leader. But his moronic old school bosses only wanted to see the 1 goal, and collectively decided that He Didn't Want it Enough or something.

And yet despite having nothing left on their roster in either of the last two seasons in return for trading him the Bruins won a playoff series last year and are three wins away from playing for the Stanley Cup while your team has won two playoff series in six seasons with him.

:doglaugh

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri May 10, 2019 8:04 pm

Yeah, but can you imagine a line with Seguin AND Pasternak? They'd have won twenty Cups by now.

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Fri May 10, 2019 9:02 pm

wonko80 wrote:I'm also not sure I understand "Expected" stats. How are they derived compared to the actual stats and why would there be a huge difference in them?

And if I go look at forwards for the playoffs and use C +/- to sort them, it looks like Kusnetsov is the 5th worst forward in that stat (who would want that piece of *poo poo* player on their team) followed closely by Faksa as 7th worst and Dickinson at 11th worst. Does that mean we should jettison Faksa and Dickinson now? *poo poo*, Zuccarello is 23rd worst after what many are considering to be a great playoff performance.

Expected stats are BS. You can’t “Moneyball” Hockey. It’s too fluid and unpredictable, especially in the playoffs.

Hat tip to the whole Stars organization for this year and I’m looking forward to 19/20.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri May 10, 2019 9:19 pm

Stats in baseball work better because they measure outcomes.

Hockey advanced stats are trying to measure opportunity. Like you say, the fluidity and unpredictability of the game means it is very hard to look at things like expected stats and apply them evenly when looking at small sample sizes like a handful of games or a dude who plays very few minutes. But even these opportunities are not equal. Crosby getting a shot opportunity from a particular spot is not an equal scoring chance when compared to Polak taking the same shot from the same spot.

I get what advanced stats are trying to do. They have their place, but that place isn't to displace the rest of the scouting process or an evaluation of actual production.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Fri May 10, 2019 9:51 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Stats in baseball work better because they measure outcomes.

Hockey advanced stats are trying to measure opportunity. Like you say, the fluidity and unpredictability of the game means it is very hard to look at things like expected stats and apply them evenly when looking at small sample sizes like a handful of games or a dude who plays very few minutes. But even these opportunities are not equal. Crosby getting a shot opportunity from a particular spot is not an equal scoring chance when compared to Polak taking the same shot from the same spot.

I get what advanced stats are trying to do. They have their place, but that place isn't to displace the rest of the scouting process or an evaluation of actual production.

Add to that the unpredictability of the officiating.

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Fri May 10, 2019 10:04 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:Hintz has gigantic balls of steel. Even with a broken foot, he's out there blocking shots. Lots of respect for that guy.

Same here. He probably took the numbing needle.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Sat May 11, 2019 2:04 pm

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat May 11, 2019 3:14 pm

I mean... probably wise to investigate. Can’t help but think there’s something broken.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat May 11, 2019 3:49 pm

I hope some team is stupid enough to do something like that.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Shabazz Jenkins

Postby Shabazz Jenkins » Sat May 11, 2019 4:39 pm

Well, for starters, they confuse Galardi and Jim Lites, so......

slaps

Postby slaps » Sat May 11, 2019 4:44 pm

Shabazz Jenkins wrote:Well, for starters, they confuse Galardi and Jim Lites, so......

Lites was supposedly just the mouthpiece for Gaglardi.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Sat May 11, 2019 4:49 pm

Vancouver is probably the only option, and it seems an unlikely one at that. All the other teams that are stupid enough to make a deal for Benn can’t take on his cap hit. Edmonton, for example.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sat May 11, 2019 6:22 pm

Benn for Nurse. Make it happen.

Jason

Postby Jason » Sat May 11, 2019 9:38 pm

link
Penguins looking at changes they could be a option

1. Pittsburgh will never rebuild as long as Sidney Crosby is around. But defeat does not sit well in that corner of Pennsylvania and there is need for renovations. You can understand the eye-rolling that comes with Evgeni Malkin trade rumours, but several other clubs believe there is something to this — that, at the very least, the Penguins are determining the feasibility of the idea.

GM Jim Rutherford declined comment, but hinted at it in a couple of local interviews last week. Malkin has a no-move clause, yet the buzz is that he’s taking some time to decompress and think about a.) if he’d agree and b.) where he’d agree to go to. That would be a short list, maybe the Rangers and Florida? The bigger hurdle might be Mario Lemieux, with The Athletic’s Josh Yohe reporting sources have told him Lemieux is against the idea. For the Penguins to consider this, the return must be good enough to keep them in contention now.

2. Independent of Malkin, the Penguins are willing to consider a lot of things. Phil Kessel for sure and they will be asked about Kris Letang. On the latter: Rutherford takes pains to point out how much he likes Letang and has said to people who have asked that the amount of blame the defenceman is taking for the first-round defeat to the Islanders is unfair. The Penguins also have to extend head coach Mike Sullivan

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Sat May 11, 2019 11:46 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Vancouver is probably the only option, and it seems an unlikely one at that. All the other teams that are stupid enough to make a deal for Benn can’t take on his cap hit. Edmonton, for example.

Some trade site suggesting a swap between a Gaglardi and an Aquilini? They obviously didn’t look at the history of hate there. Total BS clickbait asstard article.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sun May 12, 2019 12:23 am

Jason wrote:link
Penguins looking at changes they could be a option

1. Pittsburgh will never rebuild as long as Sidney Crosby is around. But defeat does not sit well in that corner of Pennsylvania and there is need for renovations. You can understand the eye-rolling that comes with Evgeni Malkin trade rumours, but several other clubs believe there is something to this — that, at the very least, the Penguins are determining the feasibility of the idea.

GM Jim Rutherford declined comment, but hinted at it in a couple of local interviews last week. Malkin has a no-move clause, yet the buzz is that he’s taking some time to decompress and think about a.) if he’d agree and b.) where he’d agree to go to. That would be a short list, maybe the Rangers and Florida? The bigger hurdle might be Mario Lemieux, with The Athletic’s Josh Yohe reporting sources have told him Lemieux is against the idea. For the Penguins to consider this, the return must be good enough to keep them in contention now.

2. Independent of Malkin, the Penguins are willing to consider a lot of things. Phil Kessel for sure and they will be asked about Kris Letang. On the latter: Rutherford takes pains to point out how much he likes Letang and has said to people who have asked that the amount of blame the defenceman is taking for the first-round defeat to the Islanders is unfair. The Penguins also have to extend head coach Mike Sullivan

I want no part of trading for Letang (aging and constantly injury prone), Kessel (also the wrong side of 30). Malkin is the most interesting because his production remains strong, but he's also hurt every season and is the oldest of the three.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sun May 12, 2019 1:48 am

#JTONTFJTGM wrote:

clickbait wrote:A trade with the Canucks could be centered around Bo Horvat and prospect Olli Juolevi (drafted 5th overall in 2016). The move would give the Canucks one of the best top lines in the league with Pettersson, Boeser, and Benn. While Dallas would add another young Finnish d-man to their back end, and Horvat would give them a legit replacement for Benn's production.

Oh man would I take that and run. And yes Bo Horvat’s production was better than Jamie’s this year LOL.

Troy McClure wrote:I want no part of trading for Letang (aging and constantly injury prone), Kessel (also the wrong side of 30). Malkin is the most interesting because his production remains strong, but he's also hurt every season and is the oldest of the three.

Agreed about Letang. LOL Malkin > Benn even when hurt and always has been so that doesn’t help the Pens contend now, like at all. I actually feel like Kessel is the most interesting one (his rumours started way before anybody else’s). He still put up 82 points in 82 games this season (and 92 in 82 last season) and has three years left at 8 mil compared to Jamie’s six years left at 9.5 mil. Plus having that fat bald likeable *f-bomb* on our team might actually earn us some respect and coverage from NBC.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sun May 12, 2019 2:07 am

I'm definitely on board with Kessel. Him, Robertson and Some Rando could make for the fattest line in hockey history.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sun May 12, 2019 2:17 am

ToddM wrote:I'm definitely on board with Kessel. Him, Robertson and Some Rando could make for the fattest line in hockey history.

Maroon.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sun May 12, 2019 2:18 am

Troy McClure wrote:The third line was interesting. In a lot of ways, Cogliano-Faksa-Comeau looked good with their defensive play, but holy crap I just looked at their stats. All three played all 13 games. Here are their point totals: 2-1-2. Three dudes who all played good minutes in every game combined for three goals and five points. Man, that hurts. I'm not expecting big production, but Faksa with no goals and one assist *fargin'* sucks.

ScubaSteve wrote:You’re selling that line short. Cogliano-Faksa-Comeau in this playoffs was the best shutdown line I’ve seen from this team in years. Their puck pursuit was amazing. Nashville couldn’t even break out of their own zone when that line was out. Yeah, a little bit more offense from them would’ve been nice given how many turnovers they were able to force, but I was pretty pleased with that line through the whole playoffs.

Troy McClure wrote:I'm trying not to. I love what they did without the puck, but they've got to chip in more. You can't have both your third and fourth lines producing no offense.

All fair points. In addition, I really wasn’t too pleased with Comeau being the most penalized player on our team (16 PIM). Granted the officiating was atrocious overall, but still, it was pretty frustrating and dumb.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sun May 12, 2019 2:41 am

cdanew wrote:

Very telling that Zuccarello scored our last goal of the season.

Jason

Postby Jason » Thu May 16, 2019 10:16 am

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:30 am

That's a reasonable deal for Lindell. Have to imagine Klingberg kicks himself over the money he left on the table.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu May 16, 2019 10:32 am

Lindell: That's one hell of an awesome contract for the Stars. It could have been more.

Spezza: Sounds like one of two things happened: (1) Spezza has been informed he's not getting an offer from the Stars or (2) Spezza doesn't want to come back. Whatever the reason, I'm good with it.

FrozenFailure

Postby FrozenFailure » Thu May 16, 2019 10:35 am

That seems like a lot of money for Lindell but okay.

Shabazz Jenkins

Postby Shabazz Jenkins » Thu May 16, 2019 10:38 am

It’s not

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu May 16, 2019 10:42 am

Wait until you see the contracts far inferior defenders get this summer.

And with the cap always going up, this will be a pretty moderate contract in four seasons.

FrozenFailure

Postby FrozenFailure » Thu May 16, 2019 10:52 am

Yeah, I went back and looked at comparables... He's basically getting paid Niskanen dollars. Which is fine because they're pretty comparable. Except less suicide passes.

And re: Klingberg dollars... he had a lot less leverage. I think he wanted the term more than the dollars, because who the hell knows if his hips will hold up.