Page 8 of 13

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:22 pm
by #JTONTFJTGM
mookie1010 wrote:Knives and I pointing out (rightly) that the officiating has sucked is - wait for it - totally normal behavior for fans of a team. Calling us both childish is rude and arrogant. You've made your point and are just beating a dead horse now. Move on and let us have a conversation.

I called you both childish because that's how you've acted in these discussions.

The officiating has been atrocious, just like it is in all of the other major professional sports. But it wasn't why your team lost. That happened because they got outplayed by a better team.

The Blues trailed the Sharks two games to one in the Western Conference Final after they lost Game 3 when Erik Karlsson's game-winning goal in overtime was scored three seconds after an obvious hand pass was ignored by the referees. They responded by outscoring the Sharks 12-2 in sweeping the final three games of the series.

I'm interested to see how the Bruins will respond to the ridiculous non-call that resulted in the eventual game-winning goal being scored against them last night. If they respond like the Blues did then we're in for a treat.

But, either way, both of these teams got screwed by the officials much worse than your team did.

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:49 pm
by Knives Out
#JTONTFJTGM wrote:Instead of childishly blaming the officials to try to make yourself feel better about your team's failure, here's another look at how your horseshit captain performed in the final two games of the series:

Uh, it clearly goes far beyond the Stars’ failure. I don’t know if you’ve noticed but I’m kinda losing it about the Blues getting away with everything these entire playoffs. Last night really drove it home since now they are only one win away from the Cup because of said bullshit. Also, LOL at having a gripe with an NHL playoff record for longest stretch played without taking a penalty being set while playing against us being considered childish. I feel like if there was ever a case to complain about that, literal history would be a good starting point.

Is ... is that Benn stuff supposed to hurt me? Do I come off as a Benn apologist? I’m the one who posted that “sickening” tweet that you quoted.

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:11 pm
by #JTONTFJTGM
Knives Out wrote:
#JTONTFJTGM wrote:Instead of childishly blaming the officials to try to make yourself feel better about your team's failure, here's another look at how your horseshit captain performed in the final two games of the series:

Uh, it clearly goes far beyond the Stars’ failure. I don’t know if you’ve noticed but I’m kinda losing it about the Blues getting away with everything these entire playoffs. Last night really drove it home since now they are only one win away from the Cup because of said bullshit. Also, LOL at having a gripe with an NHL playoff record for longest stretch played without taking a penalty being set while playing against us being considered childish. I feel like if there was ever a case to complain about that, literal history would be a good starting point.

Is ... is that Benn stuff supposed to hurt me? Do I come off as a Benn apologist? I’m the one who posted that “sickening” tweet that you quoted.

No, it was to remind you of what you'd posted. Your team had two games to win one to advance and your captain had the necessary chances to win the series for you and failed.

The officials had nothing to do with that, but they definitely did cost the Blues Game 3 against the Sharks. The way the Blues played in the next three games made it not matter, though.

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:19 pm
by Troy McClure
Knives Out wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:
Knives Out wrote:And the Blues committing penalties should've gotten us way more than just the zero power plays we had in a game they dominated that much.

Sure, but a ~20% PP doesn't guarantee a goal. And I'm not really convinced a couple of PPs would have changed how the Blues were playing.

They were playing with total immunity.
But you're right. My bad. I'm totally cool with them constantly getting away with this bullshit as recently as last night, because it was only a 1-1 Game 7 and we were playing like dogshit anyways, so why even bother with the PP or changing the momentum of the game? Hell, I'm sure all of us here didn't even flinch when Benn almost scored in OT because *f-bomb* us, right? No worries.
This is a game of inches!

I’m not cool with it or fine with it, but I take shitty officiating in the playoffs as an expectation. Christ, the hockey media treats the let them play bullshit as though it is the only proper way to ref a game. Yes, I’m blaming snobby Canadian writers for this problem because they’ve created a hockey culture where calling penalties in a playoff game is something offensive to the sport. I think the whole practice of swallowing whistles hurts the game tremendously and always works to give the team more willing to cheat an advantage.

It sucks. It hurt the Stars all series long against the Blues, but it’s also the way it is and won’t change until Bettman is gone and another commish comes in to make a restoration free wheeling hockey a priority.

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:31 pm
by Knives Out
@JTONTFJTGM - The officials had nothing to do with Benn sucking *poo poo*, but Benn sucking *poo poo* had nothing to do with the officials letting the Blues get away with murder for two months.

@Troy - Thank you! That’s all I wanted LOL. I felt like Mugatu taking crazy pills here with how ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ everyone was still treating it.

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:41 pm
by Troy McClure
Knives Out wrote:@JTONTFJTGM - The officials had nothing to do with Benn sucking *poo poo*, but Benn sucking *poo poo* had nothing to do with the officials letting the Blues get away with murder for two months.

@Troy - Thank you! That’s all I wanted LOL. I felt like Mugatu taking crazy pills here with how ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ everyone was still treating it.

And this is why I’m also angry at the Stars for letting the Blues run them over and take away the series. Shitty, biased reffing is something you have to play through if you’re the less physical team in any playoff series. The Stars were able to do so through five games, but then they caved in to either the pressure or to their own fatigue of having to outskate and outsmart the Blues and their bullshit. They had two more games to find one more good effort to put the *fargin'* Blues behind them.

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:56 pm
by Knives Out
Sing it, sista! That is way more palatable than “What happened was fine, I didn’t even expect the Stars to get that far anyways.”

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:40 pm
by #JTONTFJTGM
Knives Out wrote:@JTONTFJTGM - The officials had nothing to do with Benn sucking *poo poo*, but Benn sucking *poo poo* had nothing to do with the officials letting the Blues get away with murder for two months.

But my issue here is that poor officiating isn't what cost your team the series. They got beat by the better team that did more of what was needed to win, including overcoming an insanely great goaltending performance by Ben Bishop in Game 7.

Where does the officials ignoring an obvious hand pass on a play that leads to an overtime goal three seconds later, putting the Blues in a two games to one deficit in the Western Conference Final, stand with regard to your claim that the Blues have gotten away with murder for two months?

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:40 pm
by mookie1010
We understand your position. Re-stating it over and over with different words isn't necessary.

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:47 pm
by Knives Out
#JTONTFJTGM wrote:
Knives Out wrote:@JTONTFJTGM - The officials had nothing to do with Benn sucking *poo poo*, but Benn sucking *poo poo* had nothing to do with the officials letting the Blues get away with murder for two months.

But my issue here is that poor officiating isn't what cost your team the series. They got beat by the better team that did more of what was needed to win, including overcoming an insanely great goaltending performance by Ben Bishop in Game 7.

Where does the officials ignoring an obvious hand pass on a play that leads to an overtime goal three seconds later, putting the Blues in a two games to one deficit in the Western Conference Final, stand with regard to your claim that the Blues have gotten away with murder for two months?

Cost is a bit extreme, but affected negatively is definitely applicable. Despite playing like dogshit in Game 7, it still went down to the *Dang ol'* wire, where one goal would have changed everything, so yes it would have been nice if the refs had held the Blues to the same standard as the Stars in that series and we got our looks on the PP like they did that night. Momentum etc. If you can’t understand why the longest non-call playoff record is enough ground to be frustrated and *goddess*, then I don’t know what to tell you.

And there seems to be a logical fallacy here. I’ll just use the most recent example since there have been too many per game to scoreboard: how does last night’s blatant non-call (penalty) leading directly to the GWG stand with regard to the hand pass (not a penalty) leading up to the GWG? It doesn’t, because the latter only happened once (obviously a bad call) and the former has been part of a serious ongoing problem. The Blues have literally been the least penalized team these playoffs despite how physical and chippy (aka dirty) they play. Pin pricks accumulate.

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:49 pm
by slaps
The Blues are also playing in manner that would absolutely be penalized in game 43 in January, but it’s June, so “let them play.”

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:52 pm
by ToddM
slaps wrote:The Blues are also playing in manner that would absolutely be penalized in game 43 in January, but it’s June, so “let them play.”


Yeah, but unlike game 43 in January, people are actually watching these games, so refs default to non-calls over possibly-controversial calls every time.

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:27 am
by #JTONTFJTGM
Knives Out wrote:
#JTONTFJTGM wrote:
Knives Out wrote:@JTONTFJTGM - The officials had nothing to do with Benn sucking *poo poo*, but Benn sucking *poo poo* had nothing to do with the officials letting the Blues get away with murder for two months.

But my issue here is that poor officiating isn't what cost your team the series. They got beat by the better team that did more of what was needed to win, including overcoming an insanely great goaltending performance by Ben Bishop in Game 7.

Where does the officials ignoring an obvious hand pass on a play that leads to an overtime goal three seconds later, putting the Blues in a two games to one deficit in the Western Conference Final, stand with regard to your claim that the Blues have gotten away with murder for two months?

Cost is a bit extreme, but affected negatively is definitely applicable. Despite playing like dogshit in Game 7, it still went down to the *Dang ol'* wire, where one goal would have changed everything, so yes it would have been nice if the refs had held the Blues to the same standard as the Stars in that series and we got our looks on the PP like they did that night. Momentum etc. If you can’t understand why the longest non-call playoff record is enough ground to be frustrated and *goddess*, then I don’t know what to tell you.

And there seems to be a logical fallacy here. I’ll just use the most recent example since there have been too many per game to scoreboard: how does last night’s blatant non-call (penalty) leading directly to the GWG stand with regard to the hand pass (not a penalty) leading up to the GWG? It doesn’t, because the latter only happened once (obviously a bad call) and the former has been part of a serious ongoing problem. The Blues have literally been the least penalized team these playoffs despite how physical and chippy (aka dirty) they play. Pin pricks accumulate.

As I stated earlier, the way the Blues played in Game 7 compared to the way your team played should've earned them more than just the two power plays they had. So however many power play looks you feel your team's dogshit play entitled them to, the Blues should've had even more.

Which adjective would you use to describe your team's play in Game 6 and do you believe it was good enough to deserve a win?

The logical fallacy in the two examples above is that the missed call on the obvious bounced hand pass caused the game to end three seconds later on an overtime goal. While the missed tripping/slew-footing penalty led to the eventual game-winning goal Thursday night, 9:24 remained in the third period after it was scored and 6:28 remained for the Bruins to try to tie the score after Jake DeBrusk's goal.

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:00 am
by Knives Out
#JTONTFJTGM wrote:As I stated earlier, the way the Blues played in Game 7 compared to the way your team played should've earned them more than just the two power plays they had. So however many power play looks you feel your team's dogshit play entitled them to, the Blues should've had even more.

Which adjective would you use to describe your team's play in Game 6 and do you believe it was good enough to deserve a win?

The logical fallacy in the two examples above is that the missed call on the obvious bounced hand pass caused the game to end three seconds later on an overtime goal. While the missed tripping/slew-footing penalty led to the eventual game-winning goal Thursday night, 9:24 remained in the third period after it was scored and 6:28 remained for the Bruins to try to tie the score after Jake DeBrusk's goal.

1) So I can cite a specific example of Zuccarello being hauled down hard in the slot at 1-1 towards the end of the game, and you can tell me that the Blues should have had more PP’s in general. Cool. I’ll take it. At least we finally would have gotten our own PP. And Bishop was godlike that night so I don’t mind your made up scenario being passed as a factual statement.

2) Annoying. Just like you moving the goal posts. And no LOL. But sometimes hockey will hockey and the “deserving” team doesn’t take home the W (it almost happened in Game 7). An equal playing field usually helps settle that.

3) How do you feel about Nathan Lafayette hitting the post with 6:02 left in the third period of Game 7 on June 14th (it was a Tuesday) of the 1994 Finals? Because it bares the same relevance as the hand pass goal does to St. Louis not being called for penalties all playoffs long.

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:52 am
by Knives Out
PS Barbashev was just suspended for Game 6 for his illegal hit to Johansson’s head during Game 5. There was no penalty called on the play ...

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:40 am
by #JTONTFJTGM
Knives Out wrote:
#JTONTFJTGM wrote:As I stated earlier, the way the Blues played in Game 7 compared to the way your team played should've earned them more than just the two power plays they had. So however many power play looks you feel your team's dogshit play entitled them to, the Blues should've had even more.

Which adjective would you use to describe your team's play in Game 6 and do you believe it was good enough to deserve a win?

The logical fallacy in the two examples above is that the missed call on the obvious bounced hand pass caused the game to end three seconds later on an overtime goal. While the missed tripping/slew-footing penalty led to the eventual game-winning goal Thursday night, 9:24 remained in the third period after it was scored and 6:28 remained for the Bruins to try to tie the score after Jake DeBrusk's goal.

1) So I can cite a specific example of Zuccarello being hauled down hard in the slot at 1-1 towards the end of the game, and you can tell me that the Blues should have had more PP’s in general. Cool. I’ll take it. At least we finally would have gotten our own PP. And Bishop was godlike that night so I don’t mind your made up scenario being passed as a factual statement.

2) Annoying. Just like you moving the goal posts. And no LOL. But sometimes hockey will hockey and the “deserving” team doesn’t take home the W (it almost happened in Game 7). An equal playing field usually helps settle that.

3) How do you feel about Nathan Lafayette hitting the post with 6:02 left in the third period of Game 7 on June 14th (it was a Tuesday) of the 1994 Finals? Because it bares the same relevance as the hand pass goal does to St. Louis not being called for penalties all playoffs long.

I felt great about Lafayette's shot hitting the post on Tuesday, June 14th, 1994, because at that time I'd always wanted to be inside Madison Square Garden when the Rangers finally won the Stanley Cup and, fortunately, I got to experience that with my Dad and two cousins sitting next to me.

I honestly couldn't care less about it now, though, because feelings can change when you get older and gain more perspective.

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:51 am
by Knives Out
That’s weird. You’re weird.
I’m also arguing with a guy who has me in his avatar.

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:16 am
by #JTONTFJTGM
Knives Out wrote:That’s weird. You’re weird.
I’m also arguing with a guy who has me in his avatar.

:doglaugh

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:28 pm
by slaps
wonko80 wrote:$2.3 million for 6 goals?


I just realized we have Janmark, Nichushkin, and Polak all under contract for around $7MM combined, and that equates out to about 8 goals.

D\

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:30 pm
by SaintAngerBH
Can't we just waive Nichushkin?

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:39 pm
by Jason





Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:48 pm
by ScubaSteve
So who's out? Or are we just going with 13 assistant coaches?

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:52 pm
by ToddM
ScubaSteve wrote:So who's out? Or are we just going with 13 assistant coaches?


One for every 7/8 d-man on the roster, per league rules.

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:15 am
by B Kat
Good, I like John Stevens. Either Bowness (and I hope not) or Nelson may go to become a head coach. What other team still need ‘em? Ottawa? And Anaheim, I guess.

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:30 am
by SaintAngerBH
Would definitely prefer to keep Bowness.

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:54 am
by cdanew
B Kat wrote:Good, I like John Stevens. Either Bowness (and I hope not) or Nelson may go to become a head coach. What other team still need ‘em? Ottawa? And Anaheim, I guess.


Ottawa hired D.J. Smith (Toronto assistant coach) towards the end of May.

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:24 am
by slaps
I think Bowness is still under consideration for other teams.

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:46 am
by B Kat
cdanew wrote:
B Kat wrote:Good, I like John Stevens. Either Bowness (and I hope not) or Nelson may go to become a head coach. What other team still need ‘em? Ottawa? And Anaheim, I guess.


Ottawa hired D.J. Smith (Toronto assistant coach) towards the end of May.

Missed that. I did see they interviewed Patrick Roy. So just Anaheim left unless some other coach gets fired.

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:43 pm
by cdanew
Stepneski is leaving his job covering the Stars:


Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:53 pm
by ScubaSteve
We all knew that legitimate news source would never last without a message board attached to it.