2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

ScubaSteve

2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Postby ScubaSteve » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:59 pm

I may be pulling the trigger a little early, but this thing is over.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

SaintAngerBH

Re: 2019 offseason thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:18 pm

I'm not really sure what to say. There isn't much that can be done to improve the personnel I guess. Not much point in watching any more games since this road trip will likely sink them permanently.

I'm not really sure what you would do to fix the team. Sure, Panarin. But, would Panarin single-handedly fix the team? Probably not.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:31 am

Seguin and Benn can fix the team.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:39 am

Well. You got half of that right.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

stuyhutklison

Postby stuyhutklison » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:28 pm

ToddM wrote:Seguin and Benn can fix the team.

almost agree

cdanew

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Postby cdanew » Wed May 08, 2019 9:27 am

A quick look at CapFriendly:

Coming off the books:
Spezza - $7.5m
Methot - $4.9m
Niemi buyout - $1.5m for a total of $13.9m

RFAs unlikely to be re-signed:
Honka - $863,333
Ritchie - $1.75m

That puts around $16.5m available (not taking into account any raise in the cap)

UFAs that may/may not be re-signed:
Lovejoy - $2.67m
Polak - $1.3 m
Fedun - $650,000

If any of those are re-signed, I can't imagine them getting huge raises.

Current players that are getting raises/new contracts:
Seguin - His raise kicks in, accounting for an additional $4.1m
Lindell - RFA currently making $2.2m
Dickinson - RFA - $875,000
Janmark - RFA - $2.3 million
Zuccarello - UFA - $3.15

So let's say Lindell goes up to $5m a year, Dickinson goes to $2.2m and Zuccarello goes to $6m. With Seguin's raise, that would take up $11.075 of additional cap space. I'm not giving Janmark a raise - maybe sign him to a one-year at the same rate.

Just ballparking numbers, but even with re-signing Zuccarello and giving Lindell and Dickinson raises (my numbers may be low for Lindell and Zuccarello) the Stars should have cap room to sign another $4-6m per year player.

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed May 08, 2019 9:33 am

I've seen a few people float Radulov's contract as a comparable for Zuccarello. I haven't looked at their production, but that would be $6.5MM.

Could we get a Tyler Myers for $5.5MM - $6.5MM? If so, I think you pass on Fedun and one of Lovejoy / Polak to get a guy like that.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed May 08, 2019 10:00 am

Don't forget to include the cap savings from the Nichushkin buyout.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Shabazz Jenkins

Postby Shabazz Jenkins » Wed May 08, 2019 10:06 am

Do we presume Zuch likes it here and wants to re-sign?

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Wed May 08, 2019 10:20 am

And if Hanzal would just go ahead and retire ...

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed May 08, 2019 10:21 am

I hope Zuccarello likes it here and wants to re-sign. It's obvious he's a good fit. If he doesn't, then I guess we deal with it.

Hanzal won't retire - he'd give $4MM+ in doing so. Best case, he can't play and goes on LTIR for the year.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed May 08, 2019 11:28 am

slaps wrote:I hope Zuccarello likes it here and wants to re-sign. It's obvious he's a good fit. If he doesn't, then I guess we deal with it.

Hanzal won't retire - he'd give $4MM+ in doing so. Best case, he can't play and goes on LTIR for the year.

Yeah, Hanzal has every financial incentive to try, find out he can’t, and then collect his checks. It’s what anyone would do. The only thing that sucks about it is the Stars almost have to keep that cap space unspent unless they know for sure he has no chance of playing from day one. If he does like last season and makes a couple of attempts to return, then they could end up again having two or three months of his cap hit on the books.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed May 08, 2019 11:34 am

Shabazz Jenkins wrote:Do we presume Zuch likes it here and wants to re-sign?

I bet Zuccarello surprises us. We should remember he was a late bloomer, and he’s never really been given a massive contract. There seems to be some presumption that he’d take a moderate three season deal with either the Rangers or Stars, but he might also be in line for a nice fat contract from one of these teams with money to burn. I wouldn’t blame him if he looks past places where he has attachment and opts to hop on the money train.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Wed May 08, 2019 12:11 pm

After his playoff performance, Zuccarello will be highly sought after by any playoff team. I have no idea their cap situations, but why wouldn't the Islanders or Blue Jackets go for him?

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed May 08, 2019 12:13 pm

I'm sure the key for Zuccarello at his age will be term on the agreement, and likely salary structure (signing bonus versus salary, with lockout protection).

Shabazz Jenkins

Postby Shabazz Jenkins » Wed May 08, 2019 1:06 pm

Zuch is 31 and he plays a game that will age well. He's always going to be quick and nimble and play a pass first game. I'd give him more years if he'd take $5M or so.

Shabazz Jenkins

Postby Shabazz Jenkins » Wed May 08, 2019 1:21 pm

Gurianov is up here next year, right? There's a nice big winger to slide in and see if he can take some minutes. What about Robertson? Does he need a year in the AHL?

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed May 08, 2019 1:25 pm

Shabazz Jenkins wrote:Zuch is 31 and he plays a game that will age well. He's always going to be quick and nimble and play a pass first game. I'd give him more years if he'd take $5M or so.

I think that's a tough sell. It's only a $500k raise. He finished the best points pace of his career by far. He's going to demand a hefty raise.

Shabazz Jenkins wrote:Gurianov is up here next year, right? There's a nice big winger to slide in and see if he can take some minutes. What about Robertson? Does he need a year in the AHL?

Both are unknowns. Probably depends on camp.

If Robertson shows he can skate with the pros, he should start in the NHL. I'd love to throw him out there because natural goal scorers gain very little from time in the AHL. But my guess is the team goes into camp with too many bodies just like last season, so he'll start in the AHL no matter what until Nill clears a body or two off the roster (like he had to do with putting Smith on waivers early this season).

Gurianov has to show he can fight through the NHL's more physical game. Being fast is nice, but being fast and easily knocked off the puck is going to push him down to the 4th line scratch rotation. It would be great for him to at least become an every game player, even on the fourth line to inject more speed.

Shabazz Jenkins

Postby Shabazz Jenkins » Wed May 08, 2019 1:37 pm

Zuch made $3.15M this year. $5M is almost a $1.5M increase.

We need scorers on this roster. Period. Hintz will take the step next year, presumably. But we need more. Robertson needs to be on this roster, on top of whatever FA signing they can afford on that end.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Wed May 08, 2019 1:38 pm

Shabazz Jenkins wrote:Gurianov is up here next year, right? There's a nice big winger to slide in and see if he can take some minutes. What about Robertson? Does he need a year in the AHL?

Oh my sweet summer child.

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed May 08, 2019 1:51 pm

A quick look at Capfriendly reveals the following UFAs that could be of use (skipping over Panarin, Duchene, Karlsson, etc. - they would be great, but not realistic targets):

Jordan Eberle
Jeff Skinner (he'd be a moron not to stay in Buffalo though)
Kevin Hayes (I think he would be great here)
Gustav Nyquist
Carl Hagelin
Anders Lee
Ryan Dzingel
Patrick Maroon (lol)
Brett Connolly

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed May 08, 2019 1:56 pm

Shabazz Jenkins wrote:Zuch made $3.15M this year. $5M is almost a $1.5M increase.

We need scorers on this roster. Period. Hintz will take the step next year, presumably. But we need more. Robertson needs to be on this roster, on top of whatever FA signing they can afford on that end.

He was paid $4.5 million this season. It looks lower on Capfriendly because the Rangers retained the difference as part of the trade. It's strange they don't highlight it in some way.

I won't argue with you about scorers. They need guys who can put the puck in the net. They don't need superstar 40 goal scorers, but just more guys who can score 10+ down the lineup. Can't have only four forward score 10+.

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed May 08, 2019 1:58 pm

I think I would be fine at 5 years X $6.5MM for Zuccarello. The final year or two will probably suck, but that's life. I don't see how you give him more than Radulov, though.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Wed May 08, 2019 2:07 pm

slaps wrote:A quick look at Capfriendly reveals the following UFAs that could be of use (skipping over Panarin, Duchene, Karlsson, etc. - they would be great, but not realistic targets):

Jordan Eberle
Gustav Nyquist
Carl Hagelin
Anders Lee
Ryan Dzingel
Patrick Maroon (lol)
Brett Connolly

All decent candidates. Not Maroon, and not just because of the series. Too slow! Some obviously have more scoring potential and are better than others, but it's good to have more than 1 or 2 big names as options. All those dudes would be helpful.

No idea what Zuccarello wants or is looking for. At 31 years of age, probably to win. So he might take less if he felt like the Stars were going to win, because he does fit. Or move along if he doesn't see the Stars as close.

oglethorpe

Postby oglethorpe » Thu May 09, 2019 11:17 am

slaps wrote:A quick look at Capfriendly reveals the following UFAs that could be of use (skipping over Panarin, Duchene, Karlsson, etc. - they would be great, but not realistic targets):

Jordan Eberle
Gustav Nyquist
Carl Hagelin
Anders Lee
Ryan Dzingel
Patrick Maroon (lol)
Brett Connolly

Dzingel, Anders Lee (definitely in on, but he aint leaving the Isles, if the isle let him walk, they may burn the place down after the Tavares fiasco last year.), Kevin Hayes (yes, again, yes). As for skipping over Duchene and Karlsson, no issue, wouldn't touch Karlsson with a 10 foot pole, puts up points, but is not very good in his own end, would rather have a good depth d-man if the Stars are looking in this direction (Tyler Myers?). I am still not convinced that Duchene is not a some kind of cancer, even after the nice run in Columbus.

Panarin is only unrealistic if he is truly set on a big market, ie NYR. If he is willing to sign with the stars, you find a way to clear the space for him. Not saying it would be simple, but you throw him into the top 6 with the emergence of Roope, then you got something. I think Hayes is similar in that regard as well. Just some ramblings on my part.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Thu May 09, 2019 11:27 am

Wasn't 100% sure where to put this

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu May 09, 2019 11:52 am

Man, I feel bad for Stephen Johns. That's such a tough situation. And it's not like he's some spare - I think a big mobile guy like Johns would have put us over the top with the Blues.

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu May 09, 2019 11:53 am

oglethorpe wrote:

Jordan Eberle
Gustav Nyquist
Carl Hagelin
Anders Lee
Ryan Dzingel
Patrick Maroon (lol)
Brett Connolly

Dzingel, Anders Lee (definitely in on, but he aint leaving the Isles, if the isle let him walk, they may burn the place down after the Tavares fiasco last year.), Kevin Hayes (yes, again, yes). As for skipping over Duchene and Karlsson, no issue, wouldn't touch Karlsson with a 10 foot pole, puts up points, but is not very good in his own end, would rather have a good depth d-man if the Stars are looking in this direction (Tyler Myers?). I am still not convinced that Duchene is not a some kind of cancer, even after the nice run in Columbus.

Panarin is only unrealistic if he is truly set on a big market, ie NYR. If he is willing to sign with the stars, you find a way to clear the space for him. Not saying it would be simple, but you throw him into the top 6 with the emergence of Roope, then you got something. I think Hayes is similar in that regard as well. Just some ramblings on my part.

If we can walk away this off-season with both Hayes and Myers, we'd be a terrifyingly good team.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu May 09, 2019 12:09 pm

We’d be pretty good if we got Connor McDavid too. Just spitballing.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu May 09, 2019 1:05 pm

I"m not so big on Tyler Myers. The Jets don't seem to want him anymore, and they've got huge issues at D.

I'd like Zucs... I was totally wrong about him... but after his playoff run, about 5 teams will be throwing suitcases full of cash his way. I bet he ends up making Radulov money, and he's really not as good as Rads.

I'd also be open to seriously looking to trade Benn. A lot of old-school GMs would love to have him. We'd take a short term hit, but we're already a pretty bad team (with an A++ goalie), so it'd be fine depending on what we got back.