2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

BigAl

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby BigAl » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:51 pm

Some of you may recall when an extremely intelligent poster ran some stats on draft success.
The odds of getting a bust with a mid round pick are pretty solid at around 34% never playing more than 100 games.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8965&hilit=SQL+server&start=240#p379468

So I’m not overly surprised that so many of our 1st round picks busted. But I would have liked just a couple land in the other end of the spectrum.

Odds of #11 - #20 success

Code: Select all

games played range players     pct of total
------------------ ----------- ----------------------
 0                 19          11.88
1 - 100            37          23.13
101 - 200          15          9.38
201 - 300          5           3.13
301 - 400          14          8.75
401 - 500          12          7.5
501 - 600          22          13.75
601 - 700          8           5
701 - 800          4           2.5
801 - 900          4           2.5
 > 900             20          12.5
Could of.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:53 pm

ToddM wrote:Under Hitch, the Stars were a .600 team with Honka in, and a .450 team without. No idea what their Honka/Honkaless ratio is this season, but it's likely similar.

Were they .600 because they only played Honka against shitty teams? Also, how much ice time did he get in those games? I'm guessing it wasn't much.

And this year they are .461 with Honka playing. Without him they are .588.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:15 pm

ToddM wrote:
SaintAngerBH wrote:It makes the lack of the EK trade this summer even more bitter for me. I bet Ottawa is so glad that they chose to trade with SJ rather than us now that we have seen the big bag of nothing they would have gotten in return with Honka. I wish we had gotten that deal done before the cat was out of the bag.

Ottawa wanted Heiskanen, not Honka.

Hard pass.

And the fact Nill only would offer Honka is why the Senators passed.

To your other point, if Honka's four points represent a career year, then it's time to pull the plug.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:24 pm

ToddM wrote:Gurianov is getting ten minutes a night, and his time on the top line was usually only about 5-6 shifts in the first period. Even less with Hintz.

Gurianov is averaging 11:29, but that average was brought down his last two games when he barely played because he was downright awful. He's been given good ice time and did nothing with it.

Hintz gets more ice time than Gurianov. He's averaging a little over 12 minutes a night. But he skates around fast while doing little with the puck.

So what would you do with them? Give them 20 minutes a night game after game no matter how little they do with the ice time? How long would you keep it up? If weeks and weeks go by with them producing nothing, do you stick with it?
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:42 pm

ToddM wrote:
SaintAngerBH wrote:It makes the lack of the EK trade this summer even more bitter for me. I bet Ottawa is so glad that they chose to trade with SJ rather than us now that we have seen the big bag of nothing they would have gotten in return with Honka. I wish we had gotten that deal done before the cat was out of the bag.

Ottawa wanted Heiskanen, not Honka.

Hard pass.

Right, but the Stars were trying to convince them to take Honka instead.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:44 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
ToddM wrote:Gurianov is getting ten minutes a night, and his time on the top line was usually only about 5-6 shifts in the first period. Even less with Hintz.

Gurianov is averaging 11:29, but that average was brought down his last two games when he barely played because he was downright awful. He's been given good ice time and did nothing with it.

Hintz gets more ice time than Gurianov. He's averaging a little over 12 minutes a night. But he skates around fast while doing little with the puck.

So what would you do with them? Give them 20 minutes a night game after game no matter how little they do with the ice time? How long would you keep it up? If weeks and weeks go by with them producing nothing, do you stick with it?

That's what Ruff did with Lindell. It sucked then, and probably at least partially led to Ruff getting canned, but now he's as solid as they come. If you constantly expect every 20 year old to just jump in and Heiskanen it all over the place at a high level, well.... maybe hockey isn't going to be your "thing."

Every draft pick is a risk, every young player is a risk. But it's a game, so every risk is worth taking (to an extent). The alternative to starting your young guys is to overpay for mediocre veterans and hope that they, too, somehow "find their potential" (or, I guess you could also hire a coach like Hitch who negates all talent and creativity with a plain vanilla scheme). Vets might have a slightly higher "hit" rate than developing prospects, but it's waaaay more expensive.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:46 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
To your other point, if Honka's four points represent a career year, then it's time to pull the plug.

On pace!! His point total thru 26 games matches his points total from all of last year already, thru 42 games. Progress!

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:48 pm

ToddM wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:

On pace!! His point total thru 26 games matches his points total from all of last year already, thru 42 games. Progress!

I'm aware of his pace. He's on pace for a really really low point total.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:55 pm

ToddM wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:

That's what Ruff did with Lindell. It sucked then, and probably at least partially led to Ruff getting canned, but now he's as solid as they come. If you constantly expect every 20 year old to just jump in and Heiskanen it all over the place at a high level, well.... maybe hockey isn't going to be your "thing."

Every draft pick is a risk, every young player is a risk. But it's a game, so every risk is worth taking (to an extent). The alternative to starting your young guys is to overpay for mediocre veterans and hope that they, too, somehow "find their potential" (or, I guess you could also hire a coach like Hitch who negates all talent and creativity with a plain vanilla scheme). Vets might have a slightly higher "hit" rate than developing prospects, but it's waaaay more expensive.

The "thing" is these "prospects" just aren't that special. We're talking about guys who've never really put up impressive numbers at any level, who need multiple seasons in the AHL to figure out the AHL, and who come up here and do nothing. Really good scoring forwards don't need multiple years in the AHL. They often skip the AHL entirely or only spend about half a season there.

If you want to talk about the vets they are better than, what vets are you talking about? I don't see any vets getting in their way. If anything, I see a roster with several spots open for these kids to take by playing well.

The risk you mention is worth it for guys who play well enough to show they want their jobs. For all the hand wringing over these lesser prospects, it overlooks how Nill has worked in young players on a regular basis. Klingberg, Janmark, Lindell, Heiskanen, Faksa, Shore, and Dickinson are all young guys who have become every game players. Vets didn't get in their way because they all stepped up their games. They didn't have to be gifted ice time.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:03 pm

Troy McClure wrote:The "thing" is these "prospects" just aren't that special. We're talking about guys who've never really put up impressive numbers at any level, who need multiple seasons in the AHL to figure out the AHL, and who come up here and do nothing. Really good scoring forwards don't need multiple years in the AHL. They often skip the AHL entirely or only spend about half a season there.

If you want to talk about the vets they are better than, what vets are you talking about? I don't see any vets getting in their way. If anything, I see a roster with several spots open for these kids to take by playing well.

The risk you mention is worth it for guys who play well enough to show they want their jobs. For all the hand wringing over these lesser prospects, it overlooks how Nill has worked in young players on a regular basis. Klingberg, Janmark, Lindell, Heiskanen, Faksa, Shore, and Dickinson are all young guys who have become every game players. Vets didn't get in their way because they all stepped up their games. They didn't have to be gifted ice time.

Vets like Comeau, Hanzal, Gonchar, etc. Remember Aaron Rome? Jiri Hudler? Travis Moen? Kris Russell?

Every season we load up on sub-mediocre vets, who are demonstrably not better than the young guys who could fill in those spots at a fraction of the price. And every year other than one (Val on the top line!), we're a bubble team or worse. Nemeth or Oleksiak may not be on Erik Karlsson's level, but I can guarantee you that they're better than Kris Russell.

Same with Honka. There is no world in which playing Roman "Oops, Another Forward Just Blew Right By Me" Polak is better for the franchise than playing Honka. Yes, Honka makes mistakes that end up in net. Usually because he's trying things that Polak or Fedun or Bayreuther is *utterly incapable of doing*. They're just not able to skate or pass like Honka, so they dump it in from center ice. Safe and boring. Still a turnover, but an acceptable one. Honka, meanwhile, stickhandles through three guys, loses the puck in his skates, and there's a turnover that coaches HATE. He should've just rimmed it along the boards, like the coaches' favorites! Welp, he's on the bench now for five games... he must SUCK.

Now, there might be other, non-hockey reasons for benching Honka. Like if he stays out on the ice long past when the coaches call him in, and THEN he makes a turnover. I have a guy on my soccer team that does that every *fargin'* game, and I HATE it (but he pays his dues on time and scores a goal a game, so...). Or maybe Monty/Hitch has a sit-down meeting about some facet or another, and Honka ignores him, or talks back, or something like that. That, I would say, is a pretty good reason to bench somebody repeatedly. But we don't know any of that stuff. All I see are the games, where Honka is clearly our fourth-best d-man, trying (and usually succeeding) at plays that will never be in Fedun's repertoire.

I'm 99% sure that at this point it doesn't matter, he's out of here for a conditional fourth rounder at the deadline. Some team like Pittsburgh or Buffalo, who are in desperate need of a speedy, puck-moving d-man, are going to snatch him for peanuts and reap the benefits, just like the Avs did with Nemeth or the Kings did with Campbell. All because we continue to hire coaches who are too chickenshit to take a risk on talented young guys.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:13 pm

Polak is not that slow, actually. I expected him to be and have been quite surprised. Apparently he is a fitness buff. He also plays defense. I see him struggle some too, especially lately, the minutes may be catching up. He was signed to be a 7th Dman and a good mentor. He has far exceeded my expectations.

Julie is probably better than he has shown. He can move the puck up the ice quickly. And there are the occasional turnovers. But he also gets hemmed at times he just doesn't make the best decisions, consistently.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:15 pm

I haven't seen Honka be an effective puck mover very much this season. He finds guys for exit passes at the same rate as Fedun if not less. More often I see him hold on too long looking for I guess a perfect pass then he just has to wing it up along the boards to a forward sitting there as a safety outlet. The thing is, his decision making seems to suck. He picks the wrong times to jump in and he often seems lost internet the defensive zone.

I also think you're not watching Polak. I don't see him get blown by really. All dmen will have that happen except Heiskanen, but Polak hasn't stood out. To start the season he was bad, but since all the injuries he's Benn fine. And to your point of jumping in the rush, he makes better decisions on when to do so than Honka.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:18 pm

I agree that Polak should be a #7 and not a #4, but if any of those prospects had anything to offer, they’d have displaced Polak by now. I’m not saying some guys don’t get pigeonholed, but these coaches see these guys every single day in practice, and it’s not like this is the first administration to arrive at the evidence-based solution that Honka has got nothing.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:13 pm

ToddM wrote:Vets like Comeau, Hanzal, Gonchar, etc. Remember Aaron Rome? Jiri Hudler? Travis Moen? Kris Russell?

Every season we load up on sub-mediocre vets, who are demonstrably not better than the young guys who could fill in those spots at a fraction of the price. And every year other than one (Val on the top line!), we're a bubble team or worse. Nemeth or Oleksiak may not be on Erik Karlsson's level, but I can guarantee you that they're better than Kris Russell.

When the Stars were at their best, Val was a non-factor playing third line minutes. The Stars had acquired Sharp to significantly upgrade their RW over Nichushkin. When Val was on the top line, the Stars were a bubble team who snuck into the playoffs as the 8 seed.

Either way, every team has some vets on the roster. That's part of building a roster. You can't have half your roster be rookies who have done nothing in the NHL. Let's focus on this season. Comeau isn't stopping anyone from playing. He's a third line PKer. There are still two 2nd line spots up for grabs. Those 2nd line spots are so up for grabs that Nill even called up both Hintz and Gurianov at the same time hoping either one could generate offense there, but they couldn't. Nichushkin can't. It's a *poo poo* show, but it's not a *poo poo* show because one old guy is on the roster. It's a *poo poo* show because no young winger can score a *fargin'* goal.

ToddM wrote:Same with Honka. There is no world in which playing Roman "Oops, Another Forward Just Blew Right By Me" Polak is better for the franchise than playing Honka. Yes, Honka makes mistakes that end up in net. Usually because he's trying things that Polak or Fedun or Bayreuther is *utterly incapable of doing*. They're just not able to skate or pass like Honka, so they dump it in from center ice. Safe and boring. Still a turnover, but an acceptable one. Honka, meanwhile, stickhandles through three guys, loses the puck in his skates, and there's a turnover that coaches HATE. He should've just rimmed it along the boards, like the coaches' favorites! Welp, he's on the bench now for five games... he must SUCK.

Polak isn't blocking Honka. Polak is playing because he kills penalties. If you scratch Polak, there is now a hole on the PK. Maybe Honka could take Polak's job if Honka didn't suck at defending.

ToddM wrote:I'm 99% sure that at this point it doesn't matter, he's out of here for a conditional fourth rounder at the deadline. Some team like Pittsburgh or Buffalo, who are in desperate need of a speedy, puck-moving d-man, are going to snatch him for peanuts and reap the benefits, just like the Avs did with Nemeth or the Kings did with Campbell. All because we continue to hire coaches who are too chickenshit to take a risk on talented young guys.

Eh, I think you're not getting the sequence of events right. The Stars let Nemeth go to make room for other young guys like Lindell, Honka, and Oleksiak, but it turned out neither Honka nor Oleksiak were interested in taking over the spot the team desperately tried to hand them. Now this season, the Stars hoped Honka would step his game up and take over a job, but instead, it's more unimpressive play by Honka. Even when the rash of d injuries hit, Honka didn't lose his job to vets. No vet was keeping him out of the lineup. Instead, he lost his spot to other young guys like Bayrueuther.

Like I mentioned, the Stars take risks on young guys every season, but you don't seem to want to count those other guys.

Edit: typo
Last edited by Troy McClure on Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:59 am

That does remind me. Last time we were good we had a good version of Sharp. Something like that would help.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:12 am

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:That does remind me. Last time we were good we had a good version of Sharp. Something like that would help.

And Eaves on the first line. And a productive Spezza. And Hemsky, for all the *poo poo* he got, still chipped in 30-40 points a year, which would be good for like 4th in scoring on this team now. Since then we've added Rads, but basically not replaced our entire second line. The hope was for at least a couple of Shore, Mckenzie, Ritchie, Dickinson, Faksa, Janmark, Val, Gemel, Gurianov, etc to develop enough to fill those gaps in the lineup, and not a single one of them has been able to.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:21 am

Shore had a good start to the season, but after he was injured, nada. Janmark should have been that this season, but has not. Looking realistically at the roster we need a full second line, 3 players. Hintz might fill one of those NEXT year.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:31 am

The team also doesn’t have any “energy” guys. Guys like Roussel or Sceviour that played with high intensity, skated hard, hit hard. Our bottom lines are full of mercurial types that are waiting to be inspired. Radulov might be the only one with a burning desire to win on every shift.
Could of.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:20 pm

That's a good point actually. I do think our energy lines are weaker than before.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:35 pm

For sure. We all scoffed at Roussel leaving, but he'd be helpful right now. Not at his salary really, but if you think we could of had him instead of Comeau AND Nichushkin, we'd be actually better off since he is outproducing them combined so far. Or take your pick of any two players on the lower lines and he'd be doing better than them.

I'm not saying he's the key to the team being great, but Al has a great point that there does seem to be lack of energy driving play from those lines.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:47 pm

I assumed that Elie and/or Smith would be able to step into energy role, and Janmark and Ritchie would contribute too. But two of those guys left and the others have been invisible.
Could of.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:48 pm

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:That's a good point actually. I do think our energy lines are weaker than before.

I think it's because they're slower.

Those energy lines of years past had faster guys like Roussell, Fiddler, Garbutt, Eakin, and others. Those guys were all pretty darn fast and created a lot of transition havoc flying up the ice. Even if they weren't scoring, they were able to take the puck and race it the other way.

The energy lines this season are slooooow. Spezza, Ritchie, Comeau, Dickinson, Pitlick, and Shore are not very fast, and some are dreadfully slow. By being slower, these lower lines are struggling to move the puck up ice, are struggling to take the zone even when they do get through the neutral zone, end up dumping it more often than not, and aren't fast enough to win the race to the dump in. The speed of this forward group is probably the slowest it has been since Nill took over.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:56 pm

Can we take a step back and acknowledge that things are so bad right now that we are begging to have guys like Roussel and Sceviour back?

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:02 pm

I always liked Roussel even though he was in your crosshairs. He had a down year last year, but I could've been convinced that was Hitch's fault. And originally I wouldn't said he wasn't worth the money or term, but then we went out and signed Comeau for 3 years at almost the same yearly money, so that reason to not keep him was void.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:07 pm

Of the top 8 in the West as of today, all are a + goal differential, which is good. Two of those are single digit positive goal differentials - the Stars at +2 and the Wild at +1. The next "worst" goal differential is +12 for the Avalanche (who lost by 3 the night before).

Part of the frustration with not putting teams away was illustrated last night. Haven't checked the stats, but it seems like the Stars have a hard time scoring with the opposing goalie pulled. A few years ago under Ruff, I think they led the league in empty netters. Now, they can't score with 3 minutes of an open net.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:30 pm

Bingo. Speed has gone down. That's why.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:30 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Can we take a step back and acknowledge that things are so bad right now that we are begging to have guys like Roussel and Sceviour back?

I think what we're acknowledging is just how many areas of the roster have declined or been downgraded. When comparing guys now to guys in the past, Radulov is certainly the best RW the team has had in decades, but most every other direct comparison is not a good one.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:31 pm

wonko80 wrote:I always liked Roussel even though he was in your crosshairs. He had a down year last year, but I could've been convinced that was Hitch's fault. And originally I wouldn't said he wasn't worth the money or term, but then we went out and signed Comeau for 3 years at almost the same yearly money, so that reason to not keep him was void.

There was more than one big game that I thought Roussel and friends singlehandedly won.

There were a few that he lost by losing his cool, but I always liked him as well.

I think people are underrating these pieces. It all matters.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:38 pm

It also makes for a relatively boring product.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:47 pm

cdanew wrote:Part of the frustration with not putting teams away was illustrated last night. Haven't checked the stats, but it seems like the Stars have a hard time scoring with the opposing goalie pulled. A few years ago under Ruff, I think they led the league in empty netters. Now, they can't score with 3 minutes of an open net.

Maybe I'm just looking for flaws, but it seems like the Stars have a terrible time transitioning out of their zone. Teams seem to keep them pinned in almost at will, but then the Stars have a lot of trouble with sustained pressure in the other team's zone.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.