2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

SaintAngerBH

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:16 pm

Wonder what sort of pleasantries were exchanged between Benn and Lites lol.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:18 pm

Troy McClure wrote:How the *f-bomb* is this a playoff team?

Their four-game winning streak would have them in 10th place if they were in the Eastern Conference.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:21 pm

Man. I'm excited for the opportunity to play 2 playoff home games again. It's Benn a while.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:22 pm

Troy McClure wrote:How the *f-bomb* is this a playoff team?

The West is terrible and the goaltending has been great.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:18 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:Man. I'm excited for the opportunity to play 2 playoff home games again. It's Benn a while.

You are probably right given the likely wildcard position, but if the goaltending keeps up this pace you never know ...

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:23 pm

True. They might pull a Turco and get us to 3 home games!

Leonardo da Vinci

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:41 pm

#JTONTFJTGM wrote:Two points ahead of John Chayka's Coyotes.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:15 pm

Not after last night they aren't.

Leonardo da Vinci

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:46 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:Not after last night they aren't.

Last night was all about goal scoring. They had chances, but couldn’t finish. Holding the Hawks to two goals should have at least guaranteed a loser point.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:27 pm

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:36 pm

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:02 pm

Are you highlighting how ridiculously tall the goalie leg pads are?
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:09 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Are you highlighting how ridiculously tall the goalie leg pads are?

No, but you make a good point.

It was the facial expression of the dude next to Bishop and the size difference between Khudobin and the dude next to him.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:40 pm

My name? It's uh ... Bauer ... Mr ... Enema Bag Bauer.

I like how Zuccarello was placed directly behind Bennguin.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:24 pm

Welp, the three teams chasing us scored a grand total of 1 goal between them in their three losses today, so it's a good time for Dallas to get shutout just to make things interesting.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:20 am

Finally the scoreboard goes our way, so yeah, the Stars will fall apart. Plus we’ve beat Buffalo a million times, so overdueski. :)

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:15 am

Man... looking at Cap Friendly this morning and just realized both Oleksiak and Cogliano are under contract for two more seasons at a combined $5.4 million.

I was excited about the idea of the Cogliano trade at first because I wanted more speed in the forward group, but he sure seems to have lost whatever hands he had in the past.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:52 am

Troy McClure wrote:Man... looking at Cap Friendly this morning and just realized both Oleksiak and Cogliano are under contract for two more seasons at a combined $5.4 million.

I was excited about the idea of the Cogliano trade at first because I wanted more speed in the forward group, but he sure seems to have lost whatever hands he had in the past.

Cogz is a better player than Shore (who is scoring at exactly the same pace he did here, but with 3+ more minutes a night and sometimes on Anaheim's top line) (tho in all fairness, Anaheim *really sucks*, so...). Oleksiak... dunno. He's better than Polak but Monty will never, ever, ever --ever-- bench Polak for a single one of his many coverage mistakes, so I'm not even sure why he's on the roster.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:03 am

I guess I have to disagree that Cogliano is better than Shore. For all of his many faults, Shore still managers to generate some amount of offense and is more capable of moving up and down the lineup. Adding Colgiano seems to have worked to exchange Shore's meager offense for yet another black hole. I'm not advocating keeping Shore around because he wasn't anything special, but trading him for a guy who brings zero offense and two more years on a not cheap contract was a bad trade.

OIeksiak sucks. He was sheltered in Pittsburg and was dumped by them. Here, he's also been super sheltered and hasn't looked very good even when asked to play against other team's 4th liners with zero PK responsibility. Whatever Polak is, he is rolling out there against every team's #1 PP unit. Polak's minutes are a million times more difficult than Oleksiak's. Adding Oleksiak's contract was just dumb.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:36 am

Agreed on both trades. Regardless of the outcome this year, Nill should be shoved out the door.

Leonardo da Vinci

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:15 am

Cogz is scoring less than Shore, but he also kills penalties far better, so it's kindof a wash.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:00 pm

I guess, but with Faksa, Comeau, Janmark, and Dickinson already spending a lot of time killing penalties, adding another PK forward didn't seem like a need. The team needed offense.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:47 pm

Troy McClure wrote:I guess, but with Faksa, Comeau, Janmark, and Dickinson already spending a lot of time killing penalties, adding another PK forward didn't seem like a need. The team needed offense.

With all our d-men (and Gleason, Bayruether, Hanley in the AHL), why did we need Oleksiak?

All Nill did was trade for more of what we already had plenty of. That's my main beef with him this season. We didn't have a first-line center when he traded for Seguin or a second-line scoring winger when he traded for Sharp, etc etc. I think Nill's lost his fastball.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:48 pm

The team definitely needs more offense, but Cogliano brings speed and maybe I'm an optometrist, but I think he is gonna pot some goals here soon. Plus he brings a needed attitude to the team. Neither Shore nor Cogliano are gonna fill the need for more goals, but he's still an upgrade.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:07 pm

ToddM wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:I guess, but with Faksa, Comeau, Janmark, and Dickinson already spending a lot of time killing penalties, adding another PK forward didn't seem like a need. The team needed offense.

With all our d-men (and Gleason, Bayruether, Hanley in the AHL), why did we need Oleksiak?

All Nill did was trade for more of what we already had plenty of. That's my main beef with him this season. We didn't have a first-line center when he traded for Seguin or a second-line scoring winger when he traded for Sharp, etc etc. I think Nill's lost his fastball.

I don't think Nill ever had a fastball. Nill had near infinate cap space and made a few trades with cap-strapped teams.

I understand the idea of the Oleksiak trade, but it's turned out to be a dud. They weren't satisfied with their scratch rotation of Honka and Carrick as the #6 guy, and they hoped Oleksiak would lock that down. Sadly, it turns out the Pens were eager to give Oleksiak away for a reason. He sucks.

Then to fix his fix, Nill goes and trades for Lovejoy... only to find out Lovejoy isn't that good either. In total, to find a dude to play the #6 spot, Nill made two trades and took on a bad contract. And the team isn't even more than a sliver better for all of this effort.

Nill sucks.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:22 pm

I think Nill knows he is done.

Saw him on the pregame show the other day. He was visibly nervous and reserved. Seemed different from his usual calm, collected self.

Leonardo da Vinci

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:50 pm

The players you guys are arguing about are all equivalent bags of nothing. If we'd rather trade a pick we're going to blow for a pick we've already blown (Oleksiak), who cares. Nobody we have in the minors has anything to offer, so if you'd rather play an old like Lovejoy, then fine, whatever. Shore had every chance to prove himself and move ahead of the pack and into a top 6 role and consistently failed, so if you want to trade him for a used up Cogliano, then fine. I really can't be bothered. None of these moves make us any better or worse, they're just moves to make moves.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:54 pm

I think Nill hit it big on a bunch of early trades. You can't penalize him for taking advantage of capped-out teams run by morons, because smart GMs do that all the time (and continue to do that... there's no shortage of moron GMs/owners). The Seguin trade ranks right up there with the Zubov and Ribeiro trades in terms of outright robbery. Getting Sharp and Johns for Daley and Garbutt is, frankly, amazing. Spezza for Chiasson, another win.

But ever since he traded for Kris Russell at the deadline, it seems Nill's lost his way. Maybe other GMs are more wary of dealing with him now? But other than a 4th for Bishop, which is insane at every level, Nill's trades have become increasingly bizarre and nonsensical. Combine that with his inability to correctly evaluate free agents (up until very recently with Rads and Dobby) and coaches (Hitch probably set us back 2-3 years), and you've got the blueprint for a mediocre team.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:40 pm

Here's what you get from his trades and free agency moves going back a couple of offseasons.

Good
Signed Radulov
Signed Pitlick
Traded for the rights to and signed Bishop

Bad
Signed Hanzal
Traded for Methot
Bought out Niemi a year too late

Good
Traded a 7th for Fedun
Signed Khudobin
Dumped Smith on waivers
Signed Polak for next to nothing

Bad
Signed Nichushkin
Signed Comeau

Good
Traded for Zuccarello – he’s a good player even if the price was steep

Bad
Traded for Lovejoy
Traded for Cogliano

I ignored RFA signings.

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:51 pm

Cogliano is fine, I guess. He's much faster, and I do believe his experience adds some additional value.

Oleksiak was a bad move - Bayreuther and Gleason were both fine in the limited minutes they got, and Oleksiak is not an improvement there. He's just bigger (shocker, given Nill's size fetish) and more expensive. So basically he's a bottom pair defenseman at best, and will be an ongoing impediment to bringing up players who might be better.

Lovejoy, I understand the thought process. We've been hit by injuries and having depth for the playoffs isn't bad. Plus, he's on an expiring contract, so it's not a long-term thing. But where I get upset is Nill misjudging the market. Adding in a 3rd was a wild overpayment, seeing as how Brassard went for a 3rd and Del Zotto for a 6th (I think). I'd much rather have Del Zotto, who is much more mobile. And Brassard would have been a much better add for this team.