2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Troy McClure

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:37 pm

I hope the Stars go for it and throw every draft pick and prospect at adding some high end goal scoring talent. I'm so tired of this conservative approach, and I'm tired of it because it hasn't worked.

We watched both Nieuwendyk and Nill spend their entire time as GMs stockpiling assets. They were both sellers most seasons and collected a bunch of picks and prospects. Sadly, after the better part of a decade of being conservative and accumulating assets, we still have very little to show for it. Most of those prospects acquired when selling veterans turned out to be junk. Most of those picks were wasted. Remember when Nieuwy made a bunch of trades to load the team up with other team's d prospects? All of those guys are gone, and none of them were any good.

Let’s try something else.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

FrozenFailure

Postby FrozenFailure » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:11 pm

In defense GMJN1.0, his hands were tied most of the time, but he didn't really do anything to help get this franchise out of it's death throes.

GMJN2.0 has spent 6 years accumulating jack squat. 2015 draftees are here and they're okay. Absolutely nothing from the 2014 draft, and they drafted 9 guys. Basically nothing from 2013. A couple decent young guys out of 2012. He almost has to be conservative with assets because he has NOTHING of value, except the lucky picks from years back. Quite frankly, I would have much rather kept Eriksson, Smith and Joe Morrow.

The picks are junk, the players management acquires are junk, and the coaches are retreads or junk. If I was Tom Gaglardi, I'd be absolutely furious about how my franchise looks after 6 years. If I were the fans, I'd probably be on suicide watch or thinking about Cowboys season tickets to add to the masochism.

We're the Florida of the Central.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:20 am

So the Lites horseshit thing gets brought up in articles and whatnot, and then people point to Seguin starting to score and all that. Sure, that's nice. Worth noting that he is still only 49th in scoring and on pace for 76 points, but his goals at least have picked up since then.

Uh... Benn is now on pace for 56 points this year. That would be paying him $232,142 per point. And we have 7 more years to look forward to! Not to mention the intangibles of giveaways, killing offensive plays by trying to make too pretty a play, and the occasional fight against a third or fourth line player!

Last night as Benn was getting into it with a few different Predators, Bogorad said Nashville was "poking the bear with a stick". I think the only bear Benn can be compared to now is a koala bear. He has no beast mode (and hasn't for years as I've mentioned before), so the other team is in no danger from poking him except to get him to commit a dumb penalty.

Also, fun fact, there are 39 players (39!) who have already scored 56 points this year, and 7 who have already scored 76. So at least we have 7 more years of two guys who are definitely now in the second tier (or worse) of scoring.

This is a young man's game folks, and we don't have any impact young players. :S

FrozenFailure

Postby FrozenFailure » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:28 am

Comparing him to a koala is hilarious considering they are filthy, chlamydia ridden monsters.

Contracts are for business impact, not hockey impact.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:11 am

76 is Seguin’s exact career pace. We’re getting exactly what we signed up for there.

Jamie in the other hand, you know I agree with you.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:22 pm

wonko80 wrote:So the Lites horseshit thing gets brought up in articles and whatnot, and then people point to Seguin starting to score and all that. Sure, that's nice. Worth noting that he is still only 49th in scoring and on pace for 76 points, but his goals at least have picked up since then.

Uh... Benn is now on pace for 56 points this year. That would be paying him $232,142 per point. And we have 7 more years to look forward to! Not to mention the intangibles of giveaways, killing offensive plays by trying to make too pretty a play, and the occasional fight against a third or fourth line player!

Last night as Benn was getting into it with a few different Predators, Bogorad said Nashville was "poking the bear with a stick". I think the only bear Benn can be compared to now is a koala bear. He has no beast mode (and hasn't for years as I've mentioned before), so the other team is in no danger from poking him except to get him to commit a dumb penalty.

Also, fun fact, there are 39 players (39!) who have already scored 56 points this year, and 7 who have already scored 76. So at least we have 7 more years of two guys who are definitely now in the second tier (or worse) of scoring.

This is a young man's game folks, and we don't have any impact young players. :S

Captain Fantastic has scored 39 points in 58 games while missing a game so his pace for this season is 54 points which has already been exceeded by Wah-Wah's 55.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:21 pm

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:58 am

Unless we pull off some miraculous haul at the deadline, I fear we will be on the outside again this year. Just doesn't look good to me at this point. But, at least we will have the house cleaning to look forward to this summer.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:59 am

I think we've got the tools and the weapons to squeak into the wild card spot and get blasted in the first round.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:39 am

It’s already a miracle that we are still in a playoff spot.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:32 am

https://blackoutdallas.com/2019/02/18/dallas-stars-deadline-buyers-caution/

That’s where Nill has to be smart. He has to know when to justifiably raise his offer, which pieces he could include and which are absolutely off-limits, and when to walk away from a price that surpasses the team’s range.

Oh *f-bomb* right off. What future does this team have as it is combined with its ridiculous failure rate at drafting anyhow?

Caution is the LAST thing Nill should be practicing. Sure, don't trade Jamie Benn, Tyler Seguin, Radulov and Bishop for Duchene. Got it. But, safe is death at this point. Throw caution to the wind and make something happen. I'm *fargin'* sick and tired of reading this "oh, we need to be careful with our assets" bullshit.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:33 am

I would trade Benn for Duchene in a second. That would get us out from under that terrible contract.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:38 am

slaps wrote:I would trade Benn for Duchene in a second. That would get us out from under that terrible contract.

I meant don't trade all 4 for Duchene.

I would trade Benn for Duchene straight up in a heartbeat. No team is stupid enough to do that now that Chiarelli is out of a job and I doubt Benn would waive his NTC to go to a shitty place either.

Leonardo da Vinci

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:18 pm

Good (paywalled, probably) video-heavy read on Hintz:

https://theathletic.com/829215/2019/02/ ... the-stars/

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:02 pm

L’Esperanto was sent down to make room.

After the deadline, the roster size expands. We’ll see if they bring anyone back up.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:35 pm

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:28 pm

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:35 pm

2017-2018:

https://www.nhl.com/stars/news/jim-nill ... -296387254

Right from Day 1, when we go back to the start of the season, July 1, we made a lot of changes to our team. I like where our team is at. The big thing was going to be how healthy we stayed. Getting (Marc) Methot back is a big addition for us before the trade deadline. Overall, I like where our team is at. If we could have added another experienced player somewhere we might have done it, but the price had to be right. There were just none of those fits. I like our depth in our organization. We have lots of players down in Austin that are knocking on the door. I like where our team is at and unless it was going to be a real type of hockey trade I knew there probably wasn't going to be a lot going on.

2018-2019:

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:42 pm

This roster is a hodgepodge of *poo poo*. It's completely unrecognizable from September, much less from three years ago when we were actually pretty good except for the goaltending. Either way, you can't look at this roster and tell me it's the product of a process or a plan.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:00 pm

Dude's gonna be fired anyway. He knows it.

Leonardo da Vinci

atticus ross

Postby atticus ross » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:05 pm

*f-bomb* Jim Nill.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:17 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:This roster is a hodgepodge of *poo poo*. It's completely unrecognizable from September, much less from three years ago when we were actually pretty good except for the goaltending. Either way, you can't look at this roster and tell me it's the product of a process or a plan.

Whatever the plan was, it fell apart when pick after pick turned out to be a bust. That resulted in panick-driven free agency signings.

FrozenFailure

Postby FrozenFailure » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:18 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:This roster is a hodgepodge of *poo poo*. It's completely unrecognizable from September, much less from three years ago when we were actually pretty good except for the goaltending. Either way, you can't look at this roster and tell me it's the product of a process or a plan.

If the plan was to be a landing spot for broken and misfit toys, then the Dallas Stars are built perfectly. No wonder they swapped to the Children's Health branding for the Stars centers.

I feel like Nill's plan to build around Benn and Seguin hasn't really come to fruition, mainly because he didn't do anything to do that. He didn't go acquire depth scoring so that the top talent could get some breathing room. He's now signed them to boat anchors, with no out in the event that the boat anchors don't get yanked out of the water every year to make sure the boat floats on.

His drafting has been spotty at best, with no impact players other than maybe Faksa and Lindell showing anything at the NHL level.

There's no character guy, there's no leader, just a bunch of goofballs who want to have fun and maybe put on a show on the ice. Too much 'entertainment' than 'gladiatorial sport'. Which is probably why all of us 'hockey fans' are effectively rioting. Feel even more sorry for the Ottawa Senators, and their *fargin'* terrorist ownership. They're in the same boat we are. Dumping every positive asset from 5+ years ago for one ECF run.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:29 pm

The Ottawa Senators have been further in the playoffs than we have in recent years, though.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:31 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:a hodgepodge of *poo poo*.

New TSF banner line?

FrozenFailure

Postby FrozenFailure » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:44 pm

slaps wrote:The Ottawa Senators have been further in the playoffs than we have in recent years, though.

Yeah, technically the truth. They had their ownership change well before Hicks' meltdown, so that probably kept them in the mix through the early 2k. Spezza's prime also helped, I'm sure. Dallas hadn't picked up some insane talent like Yashin, Chara, or Spezza through that period. Which reeeeally didn't help the Hicks meltdown era.

Oh, and Ottawa's clearly gearing up for a 2020 tank to make sure they get a top tier talent in that draft.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:20 pm

From Shapiro's latest article. I find this funny because Troy pointed out the same thing from Montgomery's comments.

Julius Honka’s continued presence in Dallas is somewhat surprising. If you want an idea of where he stands in the Stars’ minds, think about Jim Montgomery’s comments when the Stars acquired Lovejoy. Montgomery was discussing how the Stars now had options with Fedun being scratched, saying he now had seven defenders he could use, before quickly correcting himself to say eight.Hockey coaches generally don’t like Honka. His three NHL coaches have failed to trust him and I’ve been told even in the WHL and AHL, there were coaches who didn’t like his game. Honka could have really won a job with this coaching staff; Montgomery and Co. were hoping he would seize an opportunity when John Klingberg was injured, but he failed to do enough for them and he was essentially banished to the role of a practice player.

So fancy stats aside, no coach likes Honka. But apparently we should play him 20 minutes an night and reap the rewards because he had some strong possession numbers or whatever in his 6 minutes of playing time.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:57 pm

Why don’t they just waive him? It’s mime boggling.
Thoraly Birch.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:16 pm

#JTONTFJTGM wrote:
ScubaSteve wrote:a hodgepodge of *poo poo*.

New TSF banner line?

:doglaugh

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:35 pm

wonko80 wrote:From Shapiro's latest article. I find this funny because Troy pointed out the same thing from Montgomery's comments.

Has anyone proven that Troy and Shapiro are not the same person?