2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

B Kat

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby B Kat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:48 pm

So the shootout goal counts as a goal against, right? Fingers crossed.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:52 pm

Nope.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:00 am

Dallas has 194 GA with two games left and NYI have just 191 with one game remaining against the Caps. Yeah, not likely.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:45 am

Kind of funny semi-shot at the Stars from the DGB Grab Bag on the Athletic

New York Islanders: Are in a tight two-team race for the Jennings Trophy for fewest goals allowed, and reading that has made you realize you have no idea who the other team is, and now you’re opening a new tab to go and look it up, and now you’re just kind of staring at the screen muttering about how that can’t be right.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:14 pm

I mean, I'm a Stars fan and I don't even think it can be right...
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:51 pm

Well shouldn't it make perfect sense that the moment we get rid of Lehtonen we almost win the Jennings?
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

slaps

Postby slaps » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:33 pm

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:35 pm

Stay whole, Ben.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:55 am

The magic number is down to -7 now. I’m starting to get more comfortable with our odds of making the playoffs.
Thoraly Birch.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:24 am

I still don't believe.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:47 am

BigAl wrote:The magic number is down to -7 now. I’m starting to get more comfortable with our odds of making the playoffs.

Does that carry over into next season?

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:50 am

I'm convinced the NHL miscalculated the stats and will come out on Monday with the correct standings where the Stars will be out by 1 point.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:22 am

Here's an insight into Montgomerey's opinion of his offensive talent that Nill gave him. So for those of us that have bitched about the offense, this is Montgomerey's answer... there's just not enough talent to do it the way he wants. Now, he may be trying one system and one system only, which may make him not a great coach, but this at least tells you he tried to fix the offense and the players didn't fit what he wanted to do.

From an article on the Athletic:
“To me it was just more our staff knowing how we had to play to have success. We tried to improve (the) offense and it didn’t work. It got worse.”

Montgomery said the Stars weren’t able to get everyone on the same page offensively, and when it did happen they still struggled to finish.

He didn’t completely scrap offensive coaching; the Stars still focus on the principles Montgomery would like to see. But scoring became less of a stress point as the focus turned to shutting teams down on the other end.

“We’re better at it now, we’ve become better at it,” Montgomery said of the team’s offense. “We talk about it but haven’t made it a point of emphasis. With the puck we have it more often because of defense and that’s what led to us building our offensive game.”

The offensive focus has turned to more individual instruction rather than team video.

“I’m never going to go away from my belief that you have to pressure and possess the puck,” Montgomery said. “But some players just don’t hang on to pucks long enough, they don’t protect pucks well enough for us to do certain things. That’s why we did more one-on-one video.”

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:28 am

Those are some surprisingly honest comments from Monty.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:28 am

Montgomery's defensive system isn't as absolutely boring as Hitchcock's system. Hitchcock's system seemed like it was "sit back and wait, wait, wait, and when a chance presents itself...wait some more for a better chance." Montgomery's system has the "sit back and wait" component, but at least he seems fine with the players going when they have a chance. His system just seems to have them wait for the chance instead of actively trying to create the chances.

If we can get more offensive talent in over the summer, I think Montgomery will try the more open style that was attempted at the beginning of the year. But I thought he responded pretty well to utilize what he has, better than Hitchcock did. He's also created a more mentally tough team that doesn't fold like they have in the past. A huge chunk of that is attributable to actual good goaltending, but I think Montgomery deserves some credit. Also important - Montgomery was willing to (somewhat) mix up lines and sit people if he thought it meant a better chance at winning. I didn't always agree with who he sat, but the fact that he was willing to sit Spezza multiple times was a good sign to me (because most coaches aren't going to sit The Veteran Guy making $7.5MM).

And yes, the Western Conference was terrible this year. That said, the team went on a hell of a run after the All Star break, and they clinched a spot with games remaining in the regular season. That's way better than a lot of past seasons.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:39 am

Eh. We've missed the playoffs before because we were in the stronger conference. What goes around comes around.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:59 am

slaps wrote:(because most coaches aren't going to sit The Veteran Guy making $7.5MM)

Why do we do MM to indicate million annually?

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:Eh. We've missed the playoffs before because we were in the stronger conference. What goes around comes around.

Yep. Indeed.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:19 am

I remember looking it up before, and yes, google again confirms that M is the roman numeral for 1,000. Yet we've all gone to using K for 1,000. So you put MM to make it different from the roman numeral.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:25 am

So why do we use K for 1000? Because of Kilo?

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:33 am

slaps wrote:Montgomery's defensive system isn't as absolutely boring as Hitchcock's system. Hitchcock's system seemed like it was "sit back and wait, wait, wait, and when a chance presents itself...wait some more for a better chance." Montgomery's system has the "sit back and wait" component, but at least he seems fine with the players going when they have a chance. His system just seems to have them wait for the chance instead of actively trying to create the chances.

If we can get more offensive talent in over the summer, I think Montgomery will try the more open style that was attempted at the beginning of the year. But I thought he responded pretty well to utilize what he has, better than Hitchcock did. He's also created a more mentally tough team that doesn't fold like they have in the past. A huge chunk of that is attributable to actual good goaltending, but I think Montgomery deserves some credit. Also important - Montgomery was willing to (somewhat) mix up lines and sit people if he thought it meant a better chance at winning. I didn't always agree with who he sat, but the fact that he was willing to sit Spezza multiple times was a good sign to me (because most coaches aren't going to sit The Veteran Guy making $7.5MM).

And yes, the Western Conference was terrible this year. That said, the team went on a hell of a run after the All Star break, and they clinched a spot with games remaining in the regular season. That's way better than a lot of past seasons.

I've always questioned coaches who only coached one "system" precisely because that system may not fit the talent you are given. If you can't adapt to fit the personnel you have on hand, then maybe you aren't a great coach. I can understand it a bit with hockey since there is relatively limited practice time and opportunities to implement a new system, but you've got to at least be able to tweak things.

5minmajor

Postby 5minmajor » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:10 pm

MM is a thousand thousand, which is a million.
"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:32 pm

5minmajor wrote:MM is a thousand thousand, which is a million.

Ah, leave it to the former Roman citizen to clarify things.

5minmajor

Postby 5minmajor » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:41 pm

I was just trying to make some sense of it. MM really means 2 thousand in Roman Numerals.
"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:57 pm

It really is amazing they were able to do what they did with a stupid number system like that.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:16 pm

The reason their civilization collapsed is their accountants were overwhelmed.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:52 pm

slaps wrote:Montgomery's defensive system isn't as absolutely boring as Hitchcock's system. Hitchcock's system seemed like it was "sit back and wait, wait, wait, and when a chance presents itself...wait some more for a better chance." Montgomery's system has the "sit back and wait" component, but at least he seems fine with the players going when they have a chance. His system just seems to have them wait for the chance instead of actively trying to create the chances.

Right, and the addition of their only All-Star didn't matter at all.

Last year's team was fourth in goals-against average with Kari Lehtonen as the backup goaltender before Ben Bishop got hurt on March 5th and scored 25 more goals with one less win and one less point than this year's team with Dan Hamhuis playing instead of Miro Heiskanen.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:34 pm

Well the good news is they pretty much made the playoffs without as much depth as they have now.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:49 pm

Yeah, that's what makes them interesting. They are their most dangerous looking right now, and we have only barely had a chance to see it. It's only been 4.5 periods of hockey with this fully operational battle station, but what we saw sent a great disturbance through... *f-bomb*, I'm even too embarrassed to type it out.