2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

User avatar
Knives Out
Posts: 18815
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 pm
Location: TO via MTL

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby Knives Out » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:03 am

#JTONTFJTGM wrote:

slaps wrote:It’s crazy to think that Ovechkin even has a shot at Gretzky’s record.

I hope he does it.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 32602
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby slaps » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:14 am

I do too. It's just crazy to think that someone has a realistic shot. Ovechkin is maybe my favorite player. Everyone knows exactly where he is going to shoot from, how he shoots, everything, and he still manages insane goal totals.

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 32602
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby slaps » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:19 am

Image

User avatar
wonko80
Posts: 15167
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: Frisco

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby wonko80 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:10 am

Funny

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 16105
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby ToddM » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:34 pm


User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 16105
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby ToddM » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:35 pm


SaintAngerBH
Posts: 11478
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:17 pm

ToddM wrote:https://twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/1087905702394253319


Pretty sure we all know what he is doing there...
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
#JTONTFJTGM
Posts: 2440
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:31 am

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:02 am



User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 16105
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby ToddM » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:07 am

Should Toronto fans be worried?

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 32602
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby slaps » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:57 am

The new player tracking technology they were showing off looks awesome.

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 32602
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby slaps » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:53 am


User avatar
slaps
Posts: 32602
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby slaps » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:16 pm

I wouldn’t be too sad if the league really cracked down on fighting. But *Dang ol'*, that’s a beating, and in his first game, too. His parents seem thrilled with his performance:



User avatar
wonko80
Posts: 15167
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: Frisco

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby wonko80 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:41 pm

I like fighting in the "in the moment" passion of it. I dislike it for the planned fight to inject energy or the token fight after a big hit. So really, if it were out of the game it wouldn't really change much for me.

User avatar
Knives Out
Posts: 18815
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 pm
Location: TO via MTL

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby Knives Out » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:58 pm

So the idea of extending 3-on-3 OT from 5 minutues to 10 minutes is being floated around.
Statistics show that it would eliminate the need for a shootout by something ludicrous like 99.9%.
Hells yeah I'm on board. I *fargin'* love 3-on-3.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 44788
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:01 pm

Knives Out wrote:So the idea of extending 3-on-3 OT from 5 minutues to 10 minutes is being floated around.
Statistics show that it would eliminate the need for a shootout by something ludicrous like 99.9%.
Hells yeah I'm on board. I *fargin'* love 3-on-3.


The games aren't too long so I could handle it. Will it be nonstop or will a commercial break be added? If it's nonstop it will be amazing.

I can see people beginning to whine about overtiring their top players though.

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 46040
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:15 pm

I can see the NHLPA being against this. 3 on 3 ends up falling entirely on a team's best players, so this kind of move would end up exposing them to injury when coaches over use them for a full ten minutes.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 32602
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby slaps » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:18 pm

But 3-on-3 is phenomenally entertaining. It's quite possibly the best decision from the NHL this century.

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 38292
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:54 pm

3on3 is dumb. Shootouts are dumb. Go back to ties.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 44788
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:55 pm

Lots of dumb things are entertaining.

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 32602
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby slaps » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:02 pm

Keep 3-on-3 and shootouts, dump the loser point.

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 38292
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:24 pm

Keep the loser point, dump the winner points.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 32602
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby slaps » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:43 pm

Keep the message board, dump the news portion.

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 38292
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:56 pm

Not a joke suggestion here, I think they should add the two line pass rule back in. The original idea of taking it out was to add offense and decrease the number of whistles, but it has had the opposite effect. You wanted stretch passes for breakaways, right? And that's what you got, for a while. But you don't get that anymore. Instead, now you get stretch passes which are just tipped into the zone and everyone goes for a change. You've basically legalized icing as long as someone deflects the puck past the red line. Oh and half the time those stretch passes get missed and it goes for icing anyway. Add the two line pass back in and cut it out with those stupid passes, and you may see less dump and change. And if you eliminate the stretch pass/tip/dump-in/change and teams have to exit their own zone with actual skill, you'll probably see more turnovers which leads to more offense.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 32602
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby slaps » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:08 pm

I'd like to see the two line pass rule reinstated, and remove the trapezoid.

User avatar
B Kat
Posts: 15032
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:36 pm

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby B Kat » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:34 pm

Keep the 3 on 3 for five minutes and the shootout. Not very many games go to the shootout anyway. 10 minutes is too long for the players and the shootout being less frequent keeps it a little more exciting. It had gotten old before they added the 3 on 3.

User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 44788
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:10 pm

Compromise. 7 minutes of 3 on 3. Every 3rd shootout will be switched out with a hot dog eating contest to keep things fresh and interesting.

User avatar
wonko80
Posts: 15167
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: Frisco

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby wonko80 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:30 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Not a joke suggestion here, I think they should add the two line pass rule back in. The original idea of taking it out was to add offense and decrease the number of whistles, but it has had the opposite effect. You wanted stretch passes for breakaways, right? And that's what you got, for a while. But you don't get that anymore. Instead, now you get stretch passes which are just tipped into the zone and everyone goes for a change. You've basically legalized icing as long as someone deflects the puck past the red line. Oh and half the time those stretch passes get missed and it goes for icing anyway. Add the two line pass back in and cut it out with those stupid passes, and you may see less dump and change. And if you eliminate the stretch pass/tip/dump-in/change and teams have to exit their own zone with actual skill, you'll probably see more turnovers which leads to more offense.

How about allow two line passes, but only if they result in completed pass where the player maintains possession. Meaning the tip in thing gets called an icing. So you can still get the long breakaway passes, but eliminate Lindell's only zone exit option somehow giving him even more icings. But seriously, I think it would be a good combination of rules.

User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 44788
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:43 pm

Too complicated. Essentially legalized icing is fine. The point is fewer whistles that draw out the game and not some magical kind of hockey that will never exist.

A better suggestion would be to legalize all icing. That is the main source of whistles and irritation now.

In the current icing system, all that happens is that the teams that are good at faceoffs have an enormous advantage. They are free to ice all they want and suffer less from it.

If you want to be even remotely fair at all, the team that ices the puck should actually *fargin'* lose it to the other team. Crazy I know. You always knew the 90s Stars and Wings and were going to ice the puck in any kind of pressure because they were just going to win it back in all critical game situations by cheating on the ensuing faceoff.

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 38292
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:50 pm

wonko80 wrote:
ScubaSteve wrote:Not a joke suggestion here, I think they should add the two line pass rule back in. The original idea of taking it out was to add offense and decrease the number of whistles, but it has had the opposite effect. You wanted stretch passes for breakaways, right? And that's what you got, for a while. But you don't get that anymore. Instead, now you get stretch passes which are just tipped into the zone and everyone goes for a change. You've basically legalized icing as long as someone deflects the puck past the red line. Oh and half the time those stretch passes get missed and it goes for icing anyway. Add the two line pass back in and cut it out with those stupid passes, and you may see less dump and change. And if you eliminate the stretch pass/tip/dump-in/change and teams have to exit their own zone with actual skill, you'll probably see more turnovers which leads to more offense.

How about allow two line passes, but only if they result in completed pass where the player maintains possession. Meaning the tip in thing gets called an icing. So you can still get the long breakaway passes, but eliminate Lindell's only zone exit option somehow giving him even more icings. But seriously, I think it would be a good combination of rules.


Good idea in theory, but it relies too much on the refs making a discretionary call.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 46040
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:55 pm

Or completely remove offsides.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BigAl, Bing [Bot] and 3 guests