2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 37535
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:31 pm

What if they take Hanzal back and eat half of Alzner’s contract? I’d at least entertain the idea, depending on how many years Alzner has left, which I’m not going to look up.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 44743
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:47 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:What if they take Hanzal back and eat half of Alzner’s contract? I’d at least entertain the idea, depending on how many years Alzner has left, which I’m not going to look up.

Nah. There’s no way for it to work. Alzner’s cap hit is $3.2 million through 2022. Hanzal’s cap hit is $4.75 million through next season.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 15331
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby ToddM » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:25 am

Alzner can't even hold a stick anymore.

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 31956
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby slaps » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:41 am

Troy McClure wrote:
ScubaSteve wrote:What if they take Hanzal back and eat half of Alzner’s contract? I’d at least entertain the idea, depending on how many years Alzner has left, which I’m not going to look up.

Nah. There’s no way for it to work. Alzner’s cap hit is $3.2 million through 2022. Hanzal’s cap hit is $4.75 million through next season.


If they take Hanzal back, then we're good, especially if they retain some salary. Our cap situation opens up somewhat after this year. Spezza, Methot, and Niemi's hit all come off the books.

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 44743
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:03 am

slaps wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:
ScubaSteve wrote:What if they take Hanzal back and eat half of Alzner’s contract? I’d at least entertain the idea, depending on how many years Alzner has left, which I’m not going to look up.

Nah. There’s no way for it to work. Alzner’s cap hit is $3.2 million through 2022. Hanzal’s cap hit is $4.75 million through next season.


If they take Hanzal back, then we're good, especially if they retain some salary. Our cap situation opens up somewhat after this year. Spezza, Methot, and Niemi's hit all come off the books.

You're right that it can fit under the cap this season, sure. I just mean it wouldn't be a good move to turn two seasons of a bad contract into four seasons of a somewhat less bad contract. Even with a lot of money coming off of the books this off-season and next, the Stars are going to need every penny of that to spend on forwards who generate offense.

As it's set up right now, when Hanzal's contract comes off the books after next season, Seguin's contract increases to the new higher cap hit. Almost all of Hanzal's cap money goes to Seguin. I'd hate to go into those future years with Benn and Seguin's mega contracts being coupled with two seasons of Alzner dead money.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
wonko80
Posts: 14777
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: Frisco

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby wonko80 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:04 am

So if Montgomery wants defensemen who can move the puck and join the rush, isn't Alzner not that guy?

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 31956
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby slaps » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:20 am

Troy McClure wrote:
slaps wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:
ScubaSteve wrote:What if they take Hanzal back and eat half of Alzner’s contract? I’d at least entertain the idea, depending on how many years Alzner has left, which I’m not going to look up.

Nah. There’s no way for it to work. Alzner’s cap hit is $3.2 million through 2022. Hanzal’s cap hit is $4.75 million through next season.


If they take Hanzal back, then we're good, especially if they retain some salary. Our cap situation opens up somewhat after this year. Spezza, Methot, and Niemi's hit all come off the books.

You're right that it can fit under the cap this season, sure. I just mean it wouldn't be a good move to turn two seasons of a bad contract into four seasons of a somewhat less bad contract. Even with a lot of money coming off of the books this off-season and next, the Stars are going to need every penny of that to spend on forwards who generate offense.

As it's set up right now, when Hanzal's contract comes off the books after next season, Seguin's contract increases to the new higher cap hit. Almost all of Hanzal's cap money goes to Seguin. I'd hate to go into those future years with Benn and Seguin's mega contracts being coupled with two seasons of Alzner dead money.


I'm not saying its a good idea. In fact, if this season so far has proven anything, it's that we're pretty good on defense. Also, Lindell is going to need an extension, and he's due for a raise. For a top-pair defenseman (whether he is or not, that's how the Stars use him), he's likely going to come in around $5MM/season, depending on term.

The trade idea doesn't make sense, but our cap situation is only really bad this year. It eases up after this year.

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 10915
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:22 am

ToddM wrote:I would say our biggest draft miss in the Real Hockey Era (1999-) was in 2001, when we drafted Jason Bacashihua when Jeff Woywitka was still on the board.


In all seriousness, though, the biggest miss was not drafting Henrik Lundqvist when Joel was begging them to do so.

Imagine a Turco/Lundqvist tandem back when Marty was in his prime...
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 10915
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:19 am

If Nill does this, he should both be fired and committed.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
FrozenFailure
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Location: Allen, TX
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby FrozenFailure » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:43 pm

I would rather have Hanzal and his contract. Alzner is a waste.

The bigger issue at hand is the fact we have numerous forwards on the roster not doing *poo poo* other than making up for our defense being bad at actual defense in this speed and obstruction era.

Still unable to pass or catch passes but still somehow able to win games. I don't get it at all.

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 44743
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby Troy McClure » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:01 pm

Oh well

I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
Knives Out
Posts: 18503
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 pm
Location: TO via MTL

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby Knives Out » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:47 pm



Check out the comments.
I love it when the Internet comes together for a great bit.

:nice
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

User avatar
Knives Out
Posts: 18503
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 pm
Location: TO via MTL

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby Knives Out » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:06 am

Welp. Kovalchuk out 4 weeks now after an “ankle bursectomy procedure”. That’s where they shock your ankle through your balls.

Also, Filip Forsberg out 4 to 6 weeks. Joins PK Subban on IR. Dude hasn’t played in weeks and still has no return timetable.

Bergeron, Chara, and MaCavoy have all been out long term for the Bruins too.

Oh and Vasilevskiy broke his foot a while back.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 44743
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:06 am

Seems like concussions are on a decline, and injuries to the limbs are in the rise.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 15331
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby ToddM » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:43 am


SaintAngerBH
Posts: 10915
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:27 pm

Good for that kid. Wilson is a tool.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
Knives Out
Posts: 18503
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 pm
Location: TO via MTL

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby Knives Out » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:21 pm

Check out Grabner's eye. Out indefinitely.

Image
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

Jason
Posts: 10745
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:09 am

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby Jason » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:55 pm



User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 44743
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:17 pm

Dirty hit. Caused an injury. Shouldn't be part of the game. Yet I can't help but think...

I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 10915
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:42 pm

I mean, it is interference for sure. But, if Wilson had the puck it would have been a clean hit. Glad Wilson got some justice.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
atticus ross
Posts: 3148
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:41 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby atticus ross » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:34 pm

Dirty hit or not, it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy than Wilson.

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 31956
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby slaps » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:12 am

It was a bit of a late hit, but it wasn’t a headshot like Wilson favors.

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 31956
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby slaps » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:43 am

Blolz at Drouin's "slip:"


SaintAngerBH
Posts: 10915
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:53 am

It's not like it's a secret. That franchise is a catastrophe.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
Knives Out
Posts: 18503
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 pm
Location: TO via MTL

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby Knives Out » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:30 am

I’m curious as to how y’all pronounce his name. Do you say it like Nigel says “the druids” in Spinal Tap?
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 31956
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby slaps » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:35 am

Drew-in.

User avatar
Knives Out
Posts: 18503
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 pm
Location: TO via MTL

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby Knives Out » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:45 am

Confirmed.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 15331
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby ToddM » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:54 am

*Dang ol'* it, Ryan Reaves, it's getting harder and harder to hate your ass:

https://sports.yahoo.com/ryan-reaves-au ... 02205.html

User avatar
B Kat
Posts: 14688
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:36 pm

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby B Kat » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:19 am

Drew ah

User avatar
wonko80
Posts: 14777
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: Frisco

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby wonko80 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:01 am

ToddM wrote:*Dang ol'* it, Ryan Reaves, it's getting harder and harder to hate your ass:

https://sports.yahoo.com/ryan-reaves-au ... 02205.html

I find it quite easy to still hate him. He's an asshole.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests