Stars to hire Jim Montgomery.

Jason

Re: New coach search

Postby Jason » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:37 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:Bill Peters is a big bag of meh, right?

Don't know, he coaches pretty much how Nill wants speed, possession game that's strong defensively.
Depends on fit for coaches, Peters wouldn't be as good in Calgary, as say with the Stars or Rangers. Obviously Calgary could change players to get faster, but the Flames GM might also be on the hot seat.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:51 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:Bill Peters is a big bag of meh, right?

Who knows. It’s so tough to know what to make of any coach. They have so much less control of a game than what you see in football or baseball. It’s more about motivation and chemistry, and those things are so fluid and personality driven.

I’d say the bigger question is what coach sees the roster the same as the GM. Nill isn’t going anywhere, so let’s hope they find a guy who evaluates the bodies on the roster the same way Nill does when it comes to deciding who should be doing what. From there, does the coach have an idea for a system that will maximize the abilities of the players.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Jason

Postby Jason » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:26 pm

I wouldn't read much into this, as Nill is going to interview a lot of coaches.

AV
“I think his situation is in Dallas for sure,” noted Friedman. “I mean, they’re a team that really liked him once and almost hired him and he took the Rangers job. So I’ve got to think he would be a contender there.

“I’ve got to think Tippett in Dallas could be a possibility. It would be interesting. How many teams would have hired old coaches twice in a row, you go from Hitchcock to Tippett. I think that would be something. But I’ve got to think he’s on the radar there.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:45 am

This thread is nightmarish.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:41 am

These guys are just yammering. Even I don’t think Tippett is on the radar in Dallas.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:59 am

If Nill even brings up hiring Tippett to Gaglardi, I hope he fires him on the spot.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:47 am

Jason wrote:
“I’ve got to think Tippett in Dallas could be a possibility. It would be interesting. How many teams would have hired old coaches twice in a row, you go from Hitchcock to Tippett. I think that would be something. But I’ve got to think he’s on the radar there.

I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Jason

Postby Jason » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:31 pm

GM Nill Should Say “No” to Alain Vigneault
Nonetheless, actions speak louder than words. We thought we heard all the right things to begin the season too — about “reckless energy,” and working with young players — but those were just words. Bill Peters is not just a collection of words when it comes to puck possession beginning in the defensive zone. Jim Montgomery is not just a collection of words when it comes to emphasizing creativity and skill. Nor is Sheldon Keefe, who explicitly advocates risk and whose teams have prospered as a direct result.

Carolina Hurricanes: 3 reasons Bill Peters opting out could be a good thing
Part of the reason why the fans were so upset with Peters this season was the way he handled the lines on a game-by-game basis. The Canes rarely had the same line combinations for two consecutive contests. That lack of chemistry could also be blamed on Peters, but that’s not completely fair.
Some forwards like Jeff Skinner, Justin Williams, and Elias Lindholm, have a ton of talent and bounced around between different line combinations all season. Peters did find some solid trios including the TSA line and Valentin Zykov, Teuvo Teravainen, and Sebastian Aho (at the end of the season).
Out of all the players that were bounced around by Peters this season, Skinner might have the biggest qualm with his roster management. Skinner saw his goal total decrease from 37 in 2016-17, to 24 in 2017-18. A lot of that is due to him playing on the third line most of the way.

“Peters is intense. Peters is blunt. He’s a bit of Babcock light. He’s the kind of guy who one of his biggest challenges in a Canadian market will be you know what, you can’t always give the most blunt answer because it becomes a headline or something that gets used on your team. That’s one of the things that he’ll have to be careful of if he does get that job.

“And I asked somebody about that. I said if he’s the guy, how do you sell that. And his answer to me was, ‘Look, he leaves the team better than he found it

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:34 pm

Ken Hitchcock is available. He had success here in the past.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:01 pm

What's Marc Crawford up to these days?

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:35 pm

I’m not interested in a single current or past NHL coach. Give me someone new and not a retread.

atticus ross

Postby atticus ross » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:07 am

slaps wrote:I’m not interested in a single current or past NHL coach. Give me someone new and not a retread.

This x Eleventy.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:16 am

Well I’m not interested in a future NHL coach.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

Jason

Postby Jason » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:10 pm

Roundtable: Sheldon Keefe, Pascal Vincent among best bets to replace Ken Hitchcock as Dallas Stars coach

Greg Wyshynski, senior writer: No retreads. The Stars literally just tried that twice, with Lindy Ruff and Ken Hitchcock. Go with a newbie who has earned the shot: Sheldon Keefe, head coach of the AHL Toronto Marlies.

If Nill wants an up-and-comer, 46-year-old Pascal Vincent was just named the AHL Coach of the Year. A former Winnipeg Jets assistant, Vincent took the Manitoba Moose job in 2016 to get experience being the No. 1 guy. Manitoba finished with the third-worst record in the AHL the season before Vincent arrived; they're a playoff team now, while providing a steady pipeline for the Jets.

There are a few options out there who would fit this category, but the one I'm zeroing in on who is the hottest coaching candidate in the NCAA -- Denver's Jim Montgomery. If there's one thing the Stars have lacked in recent years, it's a firm identity and culture. We never really know what to make of them. Now, that might sound like nothing more than coachspeak, but I look at what John Hynes has done with the New Jersey Devils and the culture he is building there. The same goes for what Mike Sullivan brought to the Pittsburgh Penguins. In my years of covering college and junior hockey, the person I most identify with culture-building is Montgomery. And that culture-building has led to championships..

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:19 pm

I'm not sold on Vincent. He's had two years in the AHL, one in which he missed the playoffs, the other he made it and was Coach of the Year. That sounds dangerously like the Jack Adams Curse to me: take an underperforming club to the playoffs, everyone loves you, and then you start to suck again.

Montgomery could be a good choice. But frankly he's not in the same league as Keefe.

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:29 pm

The Athletic did a good breakdown on Montgomery. Spoiler - he likes dump and chase a lot of the time.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:31 pm

slaps wrote:The Athletic did a good breakdown on Montgomery. Spoiler - he likes dump and chase a lot of the time.

Yeah, that part worried me. Dump and chase works in college because every single team does it. But against the Bruins or Jets? Good luck with that.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:21 pm

ToddM wrote:
slaps wrote:The Athletic did a good breakdown on Montgomery. Spoiler - he likes dump and chase a lot of the time.

Yeah, that part worried me. Dump and chase works in college because every single team does it. But against the Bruins or Jets? Good luck with that.

Hmmmm ... does he like dump and chase a lot because it works in college?

Jason

Postby Jason » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:33 pm

Here's what someone who has coached in both the pro game and college has said. Some college rinks are different sized, I know in the past most were bigger then NHL rink sizes.

The pro game is a much more controlled game, while the college game is a lot of chip and chase. A real fast pace and not as controlled. That eliminates some chances to make plays.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:30 pm

I watched the Frozen Four this year for the first time ever, and all four teams were dumpers. In a way that makes Tufte's 16 goals even more impressive.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:36 pm

ToddM wrote:I watched the Frozen Four this year for the first time ever, and all four teams were dumpers. In a way that makes Tufte's 16 goals even more impressive.

When you’re coaching guys without elite level hands but with endless energy, dump and chase might be the best way to end up with the puck on your stick near the net.

Jason

Postby Jason » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:07 pm

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:33 pm

Bill Peters off the board and into the Flames of Calgary.

Jason

Postby Jason » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:36 pm

"You've got to have the basic qualities. You've got to handle the bench. You've got to handle players, older players, and younger players," Nill said.

"Our game is going to younger players, that is a big part of it. It's the nature of the beast. The way the cap system works, the way our game has progressed, the way young players have progressed."

Nill admitted he'd been an old-school guy who prefers to be patient with the development of prospects, often saying he likes them to be "overripe" before making the full-time jump to the NHL. But times have changed, and Nill said so will he and the Stars.

"I was brought up that you've got to be overripe, but I am seeing more and more young players making that step quicker," Nill said.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:10 pm

At least he is willing to see reason with the development issues. 5 years as too long for him to realize it, though.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:42 am

Great (subscription required) read on Todd Nelson, who in 15 years of coaching has made the playoffs 15 times and won 5 championships.

https://theathletic.com/327791/2018/04/ ... dd-nelson/

I especially liked this quote:

“I think in this day and age if you wait for something bad to happen it’s going to happen. Why not try to dictate play? That goes along with my system work, that goes along with my philosophy. I hate the term, ‘Let’s weather the storm.’” Nelson said. “I hate that because you’re in a defensive mode versus ‘We fight fire with fire’ and we’re going to jam it down their throat. Over the course of a game or series, you have to adjust tactics; I get that. Those are the adjustments you have to make. I want to force them to beat us. If I get beat, I don’t want to do it in a defensive mode. I want to go after them. If they beat us, I tip my hat to them.”

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:54 am

So, the anti-Hitchcock. I like him.

Leonardo da Vinci

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:04 am

ToddM wrote:Great (subscription required) read on Todd Nelson, who in 15 years of coaching has made the playoffs 15 times and won 5 championships.

I told you that subscription is totally worth it. Especially when they praise things you agree with.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:44 am

wonko80 wrote:
ToddM wrote:Great (subscription required) read on Todd Nelson, who in 15 years of coaching has made the playoffs 15 times and won 5 championships.

I told you that subscription is totally worth it. Especially when they praise things you agree with.

God damnit. I guess now you'll be telling me that Cam Fowler isn't a worthless sack of raccoon barf.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:40 am

Well there's your Nill connection.
Nelson played for Grand Rapids and was also an assistant coach for the 2002–03 season.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.