Stars to hire Jim Montgomery.

wonko80

Re: Stars to hire Jim Montgomery.

Postby wonko80 » Wed May 02, 2018 8:52 pm

Well at least this isn't a retread. I was more sold on Keefe or the other guy Todd wanted, but honestly I know nothing about any of them. So again, at least they are trying something different than they've done for a long while.
Last edited by wonko80 on Thu May 03, 2018 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

5minmajor

Postby 5minmajor » Thu May 03, 2018 12:34 am

retreat from what?
"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Thu May 03, 2018 5:42 am

He's from Montréal so does that mean he can speak French?
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Thu May 03, 2018 5:51 am

I'm a little concerned that he doesn't even have any AHL coaching experience, but this article that JayBot posted (from before the hiring) was encouraging enough I guess:

Candidate Jim Montgomery

And I guess I can live with this, especially since he isn't another retrea(t)d, it's just that I'd hate to see my top choice of Todd Nelson or my second choice of Sheldon Keefe go on to have great success when we could have had either of them. This feels a bit like like Hitchcock over Gallant again!

And I remember Montgomery on the Stars, but only because I used to autistically update my EA NHL rosters on a daily basis way back when before online downloads LOL.

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu May 03, 2018 7:24 am

We don't know that Nelson or Keefe were even interested in the job. I'm just glad this isn't some washed-up retread. I thought for sure it would be Alain Vigneault.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Thu May 03, 2018 7:38 am

I'm sure more job openings will trickle through once the playoffs are done but AV's options right now are basically zero LOL.
The Rangers just fired him and literally no one wants to be a minimum wage puppet for that penis of an owner in Carolina.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu May 03, 2018 8:49 am

Some notes mentioned on the Ticket this morning:

The list of guys going from college to the NHL is short and not impressive. He's never coached a player older than 24.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Thu May 03, 2018 9:12 am

Awesome ...

Nill really displayed that trademark "patience" he kept spewing off about.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Thu May 03, 2018 9:51 am

The other day Don Cherry was saying that college coaches aren't good NHL coaches. It was just an offhand comment. But I'm too lazy busy to research if he's correct.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu May 03, 2018 9:56 am

B Kat wrote:The other day Don Cherry was saying that college coaches aren't good NHL coaches. It was just an offhand comment. But I'm too lazy busy to research if he's correct.

I think only five ever made the jump from college directly to the NHL.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu May 03, 2018 11:34 am

As if the "success" rate of coaches jumping from the CHL to NHL is any better. Or from the NHL to the NHL.

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu May 03, 2018 1:06 pm

ToddM wrote:I dunno. He sounds like a younger version of Hitch from that article. I guess we should start talking about who Gags should hire for the vacant GM spot next year?

https://theathletic.com/339443/2018/05/ ... ontgomery/

Montgomery played for Hitchcock and has said he learned quite a bit from the former Stars coach. Montgomery is like Hitchcock in that both are incredibly detail-oriented and expect a lot from their players. Montgomery can push buttons to get the most out of his players, wants his top players to take on larger roles in all facets of the game (for example, Tyler Seguin on the penalty kill).

There are also elements of Hitchcock’s defensive style in Montgomery’s game. He wants his team to play physical and he wants to wear down opponents with high pressure.

But Montgomery is more of a hybrid between old school and new school. While he has many Hitchcock-type qualities, he also trusts youth (you kind of have to in college) and isn’t afraid to lean on undersized players. There is also more trust in defensemen to move the puck and carry it out of the zone — this bodes well for the likes of Miro Heiskanen and Julius Honka.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu May 03, 2018 1:32 pm

He played for Hitchcock for like 20 total minutes in his whole career.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu May 03, 2018 4:20 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:He played for Hitchcock for like 20 total minutes in his whole career.

It was a strange thing to come up. It almost seems like they're trying to beef up his resume with respect to his NHL experience by pointing to a name Stars fans will know. Also, it seems to tie to their continued efforts to heap praise on Hitchcock. I'm not sure where that comes from other than wanting to be nice to Hitch despite the terrible failure this season was or maybe as a way of thanking him for retiring so they didn't have to fire him.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Thu May 03, 2018 5:08 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:He played for Hitchcock for like 20 total minutes in his whole career.

Not even. His time "playing for Hitch" would consist of training camp and preseason in September of 2001.

Hitch was fired on January 25th, 2002, and the first regular season game Montgomery played for the Stars was on March 14th while Rick Wilson was serving as the interim head coach.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu May 03, 2018 6:08 pm

#JTONTFJTGM wrote:

Not even. His time "playing for Hitch" would consist of training camp and preseason in September of 2001.

Hitch was fired on January 25th, 2002, and the first regular season game Montgomery played for the Stars was on March 14th while Rick Wilson was serving as the interim head coach.

:lol:

That makes it even funnier. That's like how Brent Severyn always loves to introduce himself as "left winger for the 1999 Stanley Cup Champion Dallas Stars" when he played zero playoff games and only 30 regular season ones.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Jason

Postby Jason » Fri May 04, 2018 12:39 pm

In depth breakdown of Montgomery 's coaching style

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri May 04, 2018 12:56 pm

Weird how he bases his coaching philosophy on great recent teams instead of teams that were good 25 years ago.

Jason

Postby Jason » Fri May 04, 2018 5:40 pm

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri May 04, 2018 6:44 pm

I'm taking a wait and see approach. My feeling is that this will be an extraordinary success or a dismal failure, nothing in between.

Leonardo da Vinci

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri May 04, 2018 8:22 pm

I'm good with this. There were others I might have preferred (Keefe), but there's no guarantee they were even interested, and Montgomery was always on a short list of top-notch candidates. If Nill thought that Keefe or others weren't interested but the Rangers were set to hire Montgomery, then this makes sense.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sat May 05, 2018 3:20 am

Maybe Keefe knows something about Mike Babcock's job security that we don't.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sat May 05, 2018 7:52 am

Montgomery said some okay things. But then again so did Hitchcock LOL.

This:
SaintAngerBH wrote:I'm taking a wait and see approach. My feeling is that this will be an extraordinary success or a dismal failure, nothing in between.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sat May 05, 2018 2:26 pm

Lindy Ruff: "Cody Eakin is a #1 center in this league."
Hitch:"...uh, no."
Us:"WHAT A GENIUS"

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat May 05, 2018 6:44 pm

He got that right.

Jason

Postby Jason » Sun May 06, 2018 8:04 pm

slaps

Postby slaps » Sun May 06, 2018 11:02 pm

He looks like Vic Mackey’s realtor brother.

Jason

Postby Jason » Wed May 09, 2018 2:41 pm

On his coaching structure

Montgomery: I'm a big fan of Ken Hitchcock and his structure and I just studied his teams and there's a reason that he's been so successful and makes the playoffs so many years in a row as a head coach in the National Hockey League.

But I also like to study different coaches all around and I steal a little bit from everybody. And I think, you know, the biggest strength you'll see of my teams is we're relentless when we don't have the puck because we want to get it back, but when we do get it, we really value it and we're always going to know our outs whether we have time or whether we have space with the puck. If we don't have time and space we're going to know where we need to put it because somebody's going to that area so we can maintain possession. It's not always about making plays when you have the puck, it's about managing it and knowing that you have support to certain areas.

How much he thinks about last season

Montgomery: When we're looking at going into next year, the Dallas Stars weren't far off. They are a really good hockey team already and to finish three points outside the playoffs, you're right, you don't have to reinvent the wheel. We're just going to tweak it a little bit, we're going to try and be a little quicker to offense and we're going to try to make sure we're taking availability of time and space and bringing speed to that area.

If you look at Pittsburgh, with the success they've had is people are going to areas before the puck is actually on their tape and they know where their support is coming from when they get it. The ability to play fast doesn't mean you actually have to be fast, it's that you all have to be on the same page and your anticipatory skills have to be high end.

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu May 10, 2018 8:59 am

A number of parts of Hitchcock's system worked very well. What drove me crazy was the lack of creativity and options - it was the same thing, every time, even when it was obvious it wasn't working. And that he seemed like he would rather have the players dump the puck and go back and get it, as opposed to holding on to it, which seems counterintuitive.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu May 10, 2018 1:56 pm

The problem is he kept trying to party like it's 1999.

Leonardo da Vinci