2018 NHL Playoffs

ToddM

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby ToddM » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:11 pm

Joe Morrow with the game-winning goal for Winnipeg.

At this point, I have to wonder if there are any former Stars defensive prospects who AREN'T in the playoffs.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:13 pm

That Vegas intro was wheels off. Turns out there's actually a bonus hockey game at the conclusion of the Medieval Times show.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:14 pm

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:26 pm

I hated the Vegas intro.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:31 pm

Knives Out wrote:I hated the Vegas intro.

Me too. Cheesy as *f-bomb*.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:32 pm

Phaneuf is awful. He has the hockey awareness of Richard Matvichuk and the passing skills of Hurricane Witka.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:17 am

SaintAngerBH wrote:
Knives Out wrote:I hated the Vegas intro.

Me too. Cheesy as *f-bomb*.

It was Medieval Times on ice.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:50 am

The TV side of it was very poorly done. They kept cutting to shots of the players standing in the hallway. They also didn't seem to know what all Vegas was planning because they weren't ready to show the next part of their intro. This was the big intro to the playoffs. Maybe try a small bit of coordination.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Jason

Postby Jason » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:46 pm

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:12 pm

I agree, good players should be good players and not bad players. That sports point is definitely worth a subscription fee.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:24 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:I agree, good players should be good players and not bad players. That sports point is definitely worth a subscription fee.

If you click beyond the headline, he's making a point about how offense is the path to a Cup victory these days moreso than defense, despite the fact crusty old coaches continually harp on about how defense is the most important part of the game.

Think about it: all these coaches today are like near-40 to 60 years old or so. They would’ve played in an era where dumping the puck in was the unequivocal strategy on even-man rushes. I think some bright hockey men are missing just how much creating offence is crucial to having post-season success, and how dang talented most of these guys are today.

The teams that have won recently have won by excelling more at scoring goals than stopping goals. . . . In [prior] years . . ., it looks like ranking higher on the goals against side was more advantageous. But these days I’m not convinced it’s a coincidence that the best teams are able to outscore their problems.

Defence wins championships, they say. And they said it, and they said it, and they said it, until it went from opinion to fact. Well, last year’s Penguins won the Cup with a D-corps that consisted of three players, an old tire, a mannequin and Air Bud. The NHL is said to be a copycat league, but going offence-first sure seems to be the one theory few teams are willing to Xerox.

Yes, we can easily take this opinion piece about what wins today and apply it to what Nill and Hitch have done with the Stars over the past year. They turned the offense knob to zero and the defense knob to 11, and the team still sucked. Not only did they suck, but they did not even look all that ready to make noise in the playoffs because their style was not competitive with the league's better teams.
Last edited by Troy McClure on Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:27 pm

Yeah, but the Stars scored at a pretty high clip in 15-16 and bowed out in round 2 because of shitty goaltending and horrible defense. Although I agree the focus should be on offense, a reasonable defense and an at least average goalie are necessary still.

Leonardo da Vinci

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:31 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:Yeah, but the Stars scored at a pretty high clip in 15-16 and bowed out in round 2 because of shitty goaltending and horrible defense. Although I agree the focus should be on offense, a reasonable defense and an at least average goalie are necessary still.

And he's not saying to do away with defense. He's saying to do away with the ultra-safe, defense-first mentality if you want your team to be able to compete like the offense-heavy teams who have won the Cup in recent seasons. Those teams were good at keeping the puck out of the net, too. It just wasn't their best trait.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:20 pm

Kadri running guys from behind on consecutive shifts. What a piece of *poo poo*.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:01 pm

What was up with Marchand biting/kissing that guy?

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:11 pm

Troy McClure wrote:even though I know Toronto doing anything will make life insufferable for Knives.

You've got it all wrong. The Leafs winning upsets Habs fans. Go Leafs.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:11 pm

Doughty suspended 1 game for what I believe was a clean hit.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:48 pm

Man. Nashville fans are so annoying.

Leonardo da Vinci

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:48 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Kadri running guys from behind on consecutive shifts. What a piece of *poo poo*.

That hit on Wingels was bullshit. He should get 15 games plus the playoffs for that.

Jason

Postby Jason » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:07 pm

Troy McClure wrote:If you click beyond the headline, he's making a point about how offense is the path to a Cup victory these days moreso than defense, despite the fact crusty old coaches continually harp on about how defense is the most important part of the game.

Yes, we can easily take this opinion piece about what wins today and apply it to what Nill and Hitch have done with the Stars over the past year. They turned the offense knob to zero and the defense knob to 11, and the team still sucked. Not only did they suck, but they did not even look all that ready to make noise in the playoffs because their style was not competitive with the league's better teams.

The focus should be playing the most skilled players game and not bench them. If those players are weak in certain areas of the game (say slow, poor defensively) then give them very high rate of offense zone starts, so they can be the most effective. So you're putting them in a position the players flaws will be harder to expose. Carrying the puck into the opponents zone, playing the best passing defenseman so they transition game can get better. That way you can mask the team's flaws defensively by spending less time in your own end.

If a team is slow, doesn't forecheck aggressively, and you want to hurt your ability to score, then sure dump the puck in and play it safe.
Vanek would be a good addition even if he's slow, if the next coach is going to give him a high percentage of offense zone starts and lots of powerplay time, if the coach isn't going to do that, then it's useless to go after him. Hitchcock wouldn't do that. Neither would Vigneault he couldn't even figure out not to use Shattenkirk, Yandle not on the bottom defense pair, Eric Staal not on the 4th line with the Rangers.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:11 pm

I stand by my summary dismissal of the article based on the headline.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:41 pm

If you think last year's Stars second PP unit was bad:

Philly's 1st PP unit outscored their opponents 48-3.
Their second PP unit was *outscored* 3-5. And again in that 7-0 Game 1 rout.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:27 pm

Finally saw the Doughty hit. Whoever decided to suspend him for that is new to watching hockey. That's a hockey hit. Yet another fail for the NHL.

Leonardo da Vinci

Jason

Postby Jason » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:29 pm

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:42 pm

Colorado sucks. Minnesota sucks. I can't tell if LA sucks, if LA is just depleted right now, or if Vegas is actually good. But however you slice it, LA's got nothing. ANA/SJ may be the only competitive series in the west.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:44 pm

Winnipeg is going to sweep Minnesota. It's obvious. Maybe 5 games at most if Winnipeg takes a game off. But, the Wild look like a minor league team compared to the Jets.

Leonardo da Vinci

Jason

Postby Jason » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:06 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:Winnipeg is going to sweep Minnesota. It's obvious. Maybe 5 games at most if Winnipeg takes a game off. But, the Wild look like a minor league team compared to the Jets.

Wild made their team worse in the off-season, they're the second worst corsi team (Rangers were the worst) so they spend tons of time in their own end. They have less skill overall this season, as they wanted to get bigger.

SaintAngerBH wrote:Phaneuf is awful. He has the hockey awareness of Richard Matvichuk and the passing skills of Hurricane Witka.

Imagine how much worse he's going to be over the next 3-4 years he has left on his contract.

ScubaSteve wrote:Colorado sucks. Minnesota sucks. I can't tell if LA sucks, if LA is just depleted right now, or if Vegas is actually good. But however you slice it, LA's got nothing. ANA/SJ may be the only competitive series in the west.

Especially on defense, the Kings were already without Forbort and Muzzin, then Doughty last night. While its easy to say it hasn't hurt the team's defesne, but it has hurt the team's ability to get out of the own zone.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:31 pm

Brian Elliott doing his best Kari impression, I see.

Leonardo da Vinci

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:41 pm

No Doc Emrick for NBC this year? Haven't heard him do a game yet.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:02 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:No Doc Emrick for NBC this year? Haven't heard him do a game yet.