2018 NHL Off-Season Thread

ToddM

Re: 2018 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby ToddM » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:56 am

It's a good way to either (a)get top-notch offensive talent in their prime, or, more likely, (b) completely *f-bomb* up a division rivals' entire salary cap, which can ultimately lead back to (a). I'd trade four #1 draft picks for Austin Matthews any day of the week.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:14 am

Especially when we can’t draft for *poo poo*. I’d do it.

Philly absolutely owned Nashville with the Weber offer sheet a few years ago. Nashville should’ve been crippled for a decade by that Weber contract, they just got bailed out by Montreal being even stupider than they are.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:35 am

Time to get my hopes up again. *f-bomb* it. I'm drunk on hockey.

I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:55 am

Sounds like Karlsson wants a Doughty-type deal. I don't think I'd object to that. Superstars require superstar money. But does Karlsson really change the team as much we need? Does he provide the secondary scoring?

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:00 pm

Yes, he provides and drives boatloads of scoring. Maybe not as directly or ideally as you'd get from adding a great scoring forward, but if a trade for one of those isn't going to work out, I'm all for improving the Stars by adding Karlsson.

It will require the Stars to give up some prospects fans have been told will be good, but excluding Heiskinan, there's no way anyone in the farm system will ever produce anything close to what Karlsson will over the life of his next contract. Hell, I bet you could combine the career totals of any two guys in the Stars system and not have them equal what Karlsson will give you.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:02 pm

I have zero objection to adding a superstar defenseman and I'd be willing to give up pretty much anyone on the roster to do it.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:10 pm

Yup. But, I'd prefer not to give up Klingberg because it would be perfect to slot him on the 2nd pairing so that we have two great pairings.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:12 pm

Adding a superstar defenseman is for losers.

We just need to stock up on Polaks. 7 or 8 more at least.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:33 pm

Klingberg can't be traded because his bang for the cap hit buck is off the charts awesome. These more recent deals are getting d-men contracts that more than double his cap hit.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:43 pm

Benn and any defenseman not named Klingberg. We’ll even take Bobby Ryan.

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:08 pm

I think Klingberg would be off the table, but if we can send over some spare parts and take Ryan's cap hit, that may do it. Who knows, Ryan might even get productive playing with Seguin and not being on a tire fire of a team (and whatever sorry state the Stars are in, the Senators are no less than eleventy-quadrillion times worse).

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:14 pm

Calm your *poo poo*. We aren’t getting Karlsson. But be prepared for a bunch of “it says a lot about how awesome we are to even be mentioned in rumors” articles from Heika.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:20 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Calm your *poo poo*. We aren’t getting Karlsson. But be prepared for a bunch of “it says a lot about how awesome we are to even be mentioned in rumors” articles from Heika.

I think for all the talk of Nill keeping things close to the vest he sure seems to be trying to get his name linked to stuff happening with other teams this off season. Might be a sign he feels the heat.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:36 pm

The Humboldt Broncos have named former NHL player Nathan Oystrick as the team's head coach and general manager. Oystrick appeared in 65 games during his NHL career with the Atlanta Thrashers, Anaheim Ducks and St. Louis Blues.

Bench would have loved this story.
#JoeyCrabb
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:00 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Calm your *poo poo*. We aren’t getting Karlsson. But be prepared for a bunch of “it says a lot about how awesome we are to even be mentioned in rumors” articles from Heika.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:06 pm

Karlsson for Spezza/Polak.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:20 pm

Troy McClure wrote:https://twitter.com/CJ_Stevenson/status/1014277584236863488?s=19

HOT SPORTS OPINION:

I would gladly take Bobby Ryan and his awful contract too in hopes that it was the clusterfuck Ottawa franchise that caused him to underperform. But it's okay because we apparently don't need any secondary scoring up front ...

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:31 pm

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:40 pm

Ottawa is busy saying they don’t like any of the offers.

Good thing the last time I went jersey shopping didn’t turn out to be a jinx.

EFE0157F-DEF2-4845-A068-811C4DDA2D90.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:55 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Ottawa is busy saying they don’t like any of the offers.

Holy smokes. The Sens HFboard won't accept anything below a firstborn child.
Sens have to realize that it all depends on if Karlsson even wants to re-sign with said trading partner.
It's either that or lose him for nothing. They are handcuffed.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:04 pm

Knives Out wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:Ottawa is busy saying they don’t like any of the offers.

Holy smokes. The Sens HFboard won't accept anything below a firstborn child.
Sens have to realize that it all depends on if Karlsson even wants to re-sign with said trading partner.
It's either that or lose him for nothing. They are handcuffed.

Yeah, the Sens are in a bad spot.

On his own as great as he is, he’s still a dude with one year left on his deal. He’s a one season rental. Those don’t fetch Lindros-like returns.

Getting to sign him to an extension doesn’t have a lot of value. Look at trades teams make to get the rights to UFAs before free agency. Those trades are usually for peanuts. It’s not like any team is getting him for a discount. Anyone who gets to negotiate with him is going to be making him among the highest paid d-men in hockey.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:15 am

As much as we *poo poo* on our own D,
with Weber out long term here is what the Habs are going to be rolling with:

Petry-Alzner
Benn-Schlemko
Mete-Juulsen

And just for fun here is their current roster Centre depth:

Drouin (a winger, had 13 goals playing top line minutes all season, finished -28)
Danault (missed 30 games with a concussion last season and is filing for arbitration)
Plekanec (brought back after being traded, was dead last on the Leafs C depth chart, is turning 36)
De La Rose (12 points in 55 games last season)
Froese (11 points in 48 games last season)
McCarron (played 18 games for the Habs last season = 1 assist)
Matthew Peca (newly signed - played 10 games in the NHL last season)
Michael Chaput (newly signed - played 9 games in the NHL last season)

I hope that Bargainbin is their GM forever.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:07 pm

Speaking of the Sen's terrible management:

Alex Burrows just retired.

After being acquired, extended, suspended, and bought out - all in a 17 month period.

Jason

Postby Jason » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:02 am

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:16 am

The crazy thing is that's actually a discounted contract.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:33 am

Tyler is gonna get $11m/year.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:01 am

Jason wrote:

According to CapFriendly, Tampa has 12 players under contract for 2019-20 and just $13.697 million cap space (prior to any rise in the cap). That is a lot of space to fill and not much money, particularly if $11 million of that is taken up by Karlsson. Obviously, they would have to move some expensive pieces.

In contrast, the Stars have 11 roster players signed for 19-20 but $36.4 million in cap space. Could still fit both Seguin and Karlsson in that scenario, but it would start squeezing the roster.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:28 am

Tampa seems to be going all in on this season. If they swing the Karlsson trade, they will be using every penny of cap room and will be set up for future cap problems, but this is one of those things where a Cup win would erase any cap concerns.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:33 am

Troy McClure wrote:Tampa seems to be going all in on this season. If they swing the Karlsson trade, they will be using every penny of cap room and will be set up for future cap problems, but this is one of those things where a Cup win would erase any cap concerns.

That's what the Blackhawks did in 2010. They had to divest themselves of half their team after that 2010 run. Then they ended up winning two more Cups after that.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:48 am

ScubaSteve wrote:That's what the Blackhawks did in 2010. They had to divest themselves of half their team after that 2010 run. Then they ended up winning two more Cups after that.

Yeah, these big contracts are tied to guys young enough to still be awesome for several more seasons. This may work because the hockey prospect nerd world all thinks Tamps Bay has a great farm system packed with quality.