3/20 @ Capitals - I'm Not Even Worried

SaintAngerBH

Re: 3/20 @ Capitals - I'm Not Even Worried

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:03 pm

BigAl wrote:
#JTONTFJTGM wrote:
Getsmacked123 wrote:
ToddM wrote:This period looks indistinguishable from Lindyball. Lazy passes, lazy skating, every shot against either a juicy rebound or a goal.

At least they scored goals playing Lindyball

They sure didn't last season.

When Jason Spezza and Patrick Sharp still had a pulse two seasons ago they did.

Last year should’ve been our year, but good god all those injuries robbed us of a great season, and instead we had guys like Korpikoski filling our lineup.

We also dumped half our D-corps. I mean, I know Goligoski wasn't great, but I wonder if this massive turnover from the great 15-16 season hurt as well.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:05 pm

This thing really never recovered from losing Hudler.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:29 pm

We’re 7 minutes away from moral victory. Come on guys, hold on.
Thora Birch.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:33 pm

Haha

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:36 pm

I want to see McKenna start the next game. What’s there to lose?
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:47 pm

Six straight losses. *f-bomb* Hitch. He should be fired when the plane lands. This is the worst stretch of hockey this team has pooped out in years.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:47 pm

So, I'm guessing Hitch is at least not renewed.

I really hope they clean house management-wise. Sick of this *poo poo*.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:52 pm

So this team at least looked like a playoff team right up until mid February, then suddenly they look routinely outclassed. Did something change? I’m at a loss to explain it.
Thora Birch.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:02 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:So, I'm guessing Hitch is at least not renewed.

I really hope they clean house management-wise. Sick of this *poo poo*.

My guess is nothing changes. They’ll point to a couple of injuries to depth players. They’ll point to bullshit stats to try to talk up how the team is better, but it’s not. It’s still not good enough.

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:18 pm

BigAl wrote:So this team at least looked like a playoff team right up until mid February, then suddenly they look routinely outclassed. Did something change? I’m at a loss to explain it.

I think Hitch’s style finally got past a tipping point. Ultimately, this isn’t a team built for dump and chase hockey. It’s a team built for puck possession, but Hitch is trying to force a different system.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:20 pm

Even if we had those depth players (Hanzal and Methot), we at best maybe make the playoffs then get blown away by Nashville or Winnipeg.

I don't think Gaglardi has the balls to fire Nill even though he should. Or at least fire the scouting staff who can't find good draft picks to save their lives.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:23 pm

Firing Nill and Hitch would cost Gaglardi a lot of money. I can’t help but think that’s a factor.

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:00 pm

Ch ch ch ch Changes, time to do something in the summer.

The Val pick really set this club back. Taking a selfish player that high was STUPID.

Trading for Spezza was STUPID.

Trading for Sharp was STUPID.

Signing Gonchar was STUPID.

In all fairness, Nill did get Johns back in the Sharp deal, had a franchise saving trade to get Seguin, made a decent deal for Methot.

I think it’s probably time to move on though. His coaching hires seem to be sloppy seconds.
Last edited by One_Timer on Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason

Postby Jason » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:00 pm

Pretty sure the person running the drafts received a extension. They draft players to play a puck possession game.

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:15 pm

Trading for Spezza wasn’t stupid. Giving him long term at $7.5MM was.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:33 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Firing Nill and Hitch would cost Gaglardi a lot of money. I can’t help but think that’s a factor.

Well, if he's happy with a shitty product, then fine. Eventually, the AAC will be empty like it was in 11-12 and Mike Ribeiro had to plea with the crowd after the game to "bring your friends next time."

Leonardo da Vinci

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:34 pm

slaps wrote:Trading for Spezza wasn’t stupid. Giving him long term at $7.5MM was.

Agreed, it was a smart trade at the time. But, he was already getting old and the extension was just unbelievably moronic.

Leonardo da Vinci

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:40 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Firing Nill and Hitch would cost Gaglardi a lot of money. I can’t help but think that’s a factor.

Nill is signed for a while, but I think Hitchcock only has a one year contract.

Demote Nill but give him just enough responsibility to avoid paying severance pay!!!

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:24 pm

BigAl wrote:So this team at least looked like a playoff team right up until mid February, then suddenly they look routinely outclassed. Did something change? I’m at a loss to explain it.

I think the biggest drop has been the effectiveness of Hamhuis/Pateryn. They were somehow the best shutout pairing in the NHL up until Feb, but since then have routinely given up 1-3 goals a game, often of the "highlight-reel" variety. Hamhuis in particular has been hot garbage, and was directly responsible for some really shitty goals tonight.

It could be because Hitch abandoned the five-man unit of Faksa/Pitlick/Roussel/Hamhuis/Pats, and split them around on other pairings (Ham/Pats on the #1 line, for example). Faksa just makes everyone better, and maybe that pairing's impressive numbers were artificially beefed up by him.

Eskimo Spy
Site Admin

Postby Eskimo Spy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:53 pm

:gulp
May God protect you from his followers.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:15 am

ToddM wrote:I think the biggest drop has been the effectiveness of Hamhuis/Pateryn. They were somehow the best shutout pairing in the NHL up until Feb, but since then have routinely given up 1-3 goals a game, often of the "highlight-reel" variety. Hamhuis in particular has been hot garbage, and was directly responsible for some really shitty goals tonight.

Or maybe they were never that good to begin with, which is my vote.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:23 am

I don’t agree that Hamhuis and Pateryn look significantly worse, especially when everyone looks worse.
It’s not like the other teams are getting tons of breakaways or odd man rushes, which used to happen routinely in Ruff’s tenure.

Defensive zone problems are symptoms of problems in the other two zones. Other teams are setting up in our zone and wearing down our defense, and imho the reason for that is softness in our forecheck and neutral zone defense. Early in the season the Stars would come out hard in the first period, relentless pursuit kept opponents on their heels and they would make bad transition passes out to and through the neutral zone. Stars offense benefited from turnovers that let them counter attack quickly without having to set up or cycle the puck.

NOW, however, it seems like the Stars have almost no up ice pressure. No quick counter attacks. So it’s a lot of boring-ball, dump and chase, fling the puck towards the front of the net and hope for a lucky bounce. And maybe draw a penalty so the top line will have a chance at scoring a goal.
Thora Birch.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:46 am

You know I'm not a fan of agreeing with Todd, but he is right about Hamhuis and Pateryn being the big offenders when it comes to goals against.

Goals against by d-men
Hamhuis 80 in 72 games
Klingberg 71 in 74 games (he's also far and away the ice time leader and has a goals for number much higher than anyone else)
Pateryn 63 in 65 games
Lindell 63 in 72 games
Johns 53 in 71 games
Oleksiak 18 in 21 games
Methot 16 in 28 games
Honka 14 in 37 games
Heatherington 0 in 5 games

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:10 am

Yeah, but do they really look that much different since Feb. 18th or thereabouts?
I’m not saying they’re great players, they’re adequate, they do a decent job on the PK. They’re not the reason the team suddenly struggles to score more than 2 goals per game.
Thora Birch.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:35 am

If they can't help get the puck up the ice, it does hinder offense.

/jaybot

But I don't really know what's wrong with them. Poor leadership?

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:39 am

Also, Mr. Kat thinks Jamie should have the C removed. He's a good player, lots of skill, but doesn't possess captain-like traits. But who would be the captain? Kinda says something that I can't really name a good one. Lindell?

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:53 am

I guess I can dust off the STRIP HIM OF THE C joke series.

Time really is a flat circle.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:19 pm

BigAl wrote:Yeah, but do they really look that much different since Feb. 18th or thereabouts?
I’m not saying they’re great players, they’re adequate, they do a decent job on the PK. They’re not the reason the team suddenly struggles to score more than 2 goals per game.

For some reason, the NHL's website doesn't let you look at the goals against thing other than by season totals. I don't know why.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:49 pm

B Kat wrote:Also, Mr. Kat thinks Jamie should have the C removed. He's a good player, lots of skill, but doesn't possess captain-like traits. But who would be the captain? Kinda says something that I can't really name a good one. Lindell?

Question: Watching this team the past two weeks has been as much fun as a toothache. Was Sunday's loss the final nail in the coffin as far as playoff hopes are concerned? How could a team that was playing so well suddenly decide it didn't want to compete any longer? I just hope the players are as frustrated as the fans are.

Mike Heika: I think it's like quicksand. They got themselves behind and then tried hard to get out. The harder they tried, the more mistakes they made. I honestly don't think effort is the issue, I think poise and leadership are the issues.

Question: Hi Mike, thanks so much for the chats. Can't believe I'm saying this...but is it time to start questioning the captain's leadership on this team?

Mike Heika: Yes. Jamie Benn has been a great leader in several previous seasons. He has not been a great leader this year. If the Stars miss the playoffs, it will be a significant issue of discussion.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:01 pm

"significant issue of discussion" is really poorly worded.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.