2018 Stars Off-Season Thread

Troy McClure

Re: 2018 Stars Off-Season Thread

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:11 am

wonko80 wrote:
ScubaSteve wrote:
The Frugal Gourmet wrote:He is watching it live and then typing it to HF?

That’s nerdier than going to a game of thrones concert.

False.

Yeah... nice try.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:17 am

Troy McClure wrote:
wonko80 wrote:
ScubaSteve wrote:
The Frugal Gourmet wrote:He is watching it live and then typing it to HF?

That’s nerdier than going to a game of thrones concert.

False.

Yeah... nice try.

Which is nerdier - the GoT concert or the Rick and Morty Concert at the Adult Swim Festival featuring a 37-piece orchestra?

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/08/rick-and-morty-live-concert/

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:35 pm

cdanew wrote:Rick and Morty

I think you've confused nerdy with insufferable.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:00 pm

I saw Dethklok (from Metalocalypse) live and it *fargin'* ruled.

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:26 am

Lulz. Scott Glennie is involved in a court battle with the Stars' insurer over a workers comp claim:

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:51 am

We all know the insurance company is full of *poo poo*. Glennie was injured in like every game he ever played ever.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Jason

Postby Jason » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:47 pm

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:39 pm

“Khudobin” may actually translate to “Lehtonen” in Kazakh.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:03 pm

Listening to the Minnesota radio feed. It’s like Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:34 am

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:46 am

I tried to not to open my heart to yet another forward, but Radulov has made me fall for him.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:22 pm

Man, that split between Modano and the Stars must have been really bad. Sounds like he's willing to move from AZ and do just about anything. Looks like Turco got the job Modano would have probably really coveted (working with a team's foundation). From Friedman's "31 Thoughts":

24. One year ago, Mike Modano interviewed with Player Safety for a position there, a spot that went to Ray Whitney. Checked in recently, and, as he and wife Allison prepare for the arrival of their fourth child (due in October), they are also readying for a move. Currently in Arizona, they are building a place in Park City, UT, but are discussing a permanent locale.

“For us, it really comes down to where you want to raise the kids,” he said. But he still has the hockey bug and would like to get back in. “Absolutely, I miss it. I think of what a fit might look like.” With a young family, coaching or being a manager isn’t realistic for him, but there are a few other things Modano would like to try. “Television, work with a team’s foundation, their minor hockey program, corporate, I’d be available for everything. I’d go on the ice with prospects or go see them. I’m open to whatever’s out there.”

Modano has a history with Dave Tippett and has spoken to him about Seattle, but that’s on hold until the process is complete. It’s hard not to see the Minnesota connection. “We are midwestern people. I do have some connections with (Wild owner) Craig Leipold, but it’s not always right to be hired by the owner without the GM and coach. You want to have everybody on-board.”

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:05 pm

If only he had put that much effort into his final few seasons.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:56 pm

Christ. I forgot the new Seattle team decided to have Dave Tippet to build their team. My god, they’re going to be terrible. Tippett plus a roster full of third liners. Ugh.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:19 pm

They're going to be terrible TO WATCH for sure.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:23 pm

slaps wrote:If only he had put that much effort into his final few seasons.

The only time Modano wasn't a slacker was when Hitch rode his ass for 6 years.

That being said, the split couldn't have been that bad. He showed up to the draft this summer and has been around some things. The Stars should just hire him and let him move back "home." Despite my issues with him, he is the face of the Stars and it is wrong that he isn't part of the organization.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:28 pm

He’s still looking for a job where he can get paid for being Mike Modano. I think even the Turco job was more than he really wants. Turco is at every home game and is at a bunch of other functions.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:38 pm

Plus Turco has actual charisma.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:44 am

He can be Seattle’s new mascot:
The Mouthbreather.

And the split was caused by him moving to Arizona for his wife’s golf career and assuming that the Stars would still pay him to sit on his ass out of state. And he only comes around when the Stars are shitty. I guarantee you he does it on purpose.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:04 am

It really is too bad he is such a douchey person. He was my hero growing up. Not so much now.

Leonardo da Vinci

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:22 am

Dave Tippett and the Seattle Checkers.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:22 am

I'm not sure he's douche. He just had expectations that because we was the face of the franchise for over a decade that he should then get a job for life after. I can see his side of it.

Mostly I think he's just not that smart so he's publicly said things he shouldn't and that didn't help.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:27 am

I know he wanted to keep playing, but when he signed with Detroit he lost his one franchise status, and my heart.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:39 am

wonko80 wrote:I'm not sure he's douche. He just had expectations that because we was the face of the franchise for over a decade that he should then get a job for life after. I can see his side of it.

Mostly I think he's just not that smart so he's publicly said things he shouldn't and that didn't help.

Not surprising given what he said about his long-time girlfriend in 1999 in that intermission interview.

Leonardo da Vinci

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:14 am

So he's either a douche or just really really dumb. Don't those go hand in hand?

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:43 pm

I do think he is pretty stupid. Just listening to him talk gives it away. I hate saying that because I idolized him growing up. But, I'd be surprised if his I.Q. is above 105.
Last edited by SaintAngerBH on Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leonardo da Vinci

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:44 pm

Also, that ketogenic diet he is on is aging him rapidly. Ketogenic diets are bad long-term because of the amount of stress they put the body under.

Leonardo da Vinci

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:25 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:Also, that ketogenic diet he is on is aging him rapidly. Ketogenic diets are bad long-term because of the amount of stress they put the body under.

What really ages people is being underweight and in the sun a lot. When you have really low body fat, you lose any padding in your face, so lines show up like crazy. And nothing creates lines on your face like lots of sun exposure, like he gets from playing golf 8 hours a day. It's why marathon runners end up looking ten years older than they are.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:30 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
SaintAngerBH wrote:Also, that ketogenic diet he is on is aging him rapidly. Ketogenic diets are bad long-term because of the amount of stress they put the body under.

What really ages people is being underweight and in the sun a lot. When you have really low body fat, you lose any padding in your face, so lines show up like crazy. And nothing creates lines on your face like lots of sun exposure, like he gets from playing golf 8 hours a day. It's why marathon runners end up looking ten years older than they are.

That's definitely also true!

The reason ketogenic diets accelerate aging is that they chronically elevate cortisol and adrenaline. The cortisol, in particular, is quite damaging. Combine a ketogenic diet with a large amount of polyunsaturated fat (from fish or plants) and you have a combination for the fastest aging you can think of for a normal person. Check out images of the Eskimos who eat their native zero carb diet for evidence of this. Explorers who lived with them for long periods of time noted how rapidly these people aged.

Leonardo da Vinci

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:31 pm

Troy McClure wrote:

Also mouthbreathing ages the face faster.