2018 Stars Off-Season Thread

SaintAngerBH

Re: 2018 Stars Off-Season Thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:58 am

I always thought his hiring was strange. What happened to Mark? Is he still writing?
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:01 am

I'd like to see Spezza's exit interview.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:15 am

slaps wrote:I'd like to see Spezza's exit interview.

https://www.nhl.com/stars/video/exit-interview-spezza-full/c-59757503
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:17 am

SaintAngerBH wrote:I always thought his hiring was strange. What happened to Mark? Is he still writing?

He's still on twitter doing stuff for the Stars, but it looks like the team gave all of the sexy writing work to Burnside.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:04 am

Most hockey writing is utter garbage. You already know what they're going to write about years before you've even read it.

My favorite go-to for hack writing is "Team X Needs More Consistency From Player Y" i.e., "I Saw Player Y Score A Goal Once. He Should Score Goals More Often Instead Of Not Scoring Goals All The Time."

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:27 am

SaintAngerBH wrote:

No, the real exit interview.

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:28 am

ToddM wrote:Most hockey writing is utter garbage. You already know what they're going to write about years before you've even read it.

My favorite go-to for hack writing is "Team X Needs More Consistency From Player Y" i.e., "I Saw Player Y Score A Goal Once. He Should Score Goals More Often Instead Of Not Scoring Goals All The Time."

That's why I went ahead subscribed to The Athletic. The articles are the opposite of that, and are thoughtful and not afraid to be pretty brutal about things.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:28 am

The Athletic gets in to random things too. There is some Xs and Os, but a lot of more in-depth human interest stuff about the players and coaches and what they go through. They put out some pretty interesting stuff.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:35 am

slaps wrote:
SaintAngerBH wrote:

No, the real exit interview.

Leonardo da Vinci

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:44 pm

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-stars/stars/2018/04/11/odds-stars-replacing-ken-hitchcock-offseason

Last week I asked about 'other Radulovs'. I did not mean cost wise or age wise. I meant from an excitement and 100 percent effort level. Any more like him out there in those respects? Too many soft players on the Stars.

Heika: Well, technically, they seem ready to allow a similar player in Antoine Roussel to get away, so it is an interesting discussion.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah. Roussel is like Radulov. Minus the talent and intelligence. Sure.

Leonardo da Vinci

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:55 pm

cdanew wrote:The Athletic gets in to random things too. There is some Xs and Os, but a lot of more in-depth human interest stuff about the players and coaches and what they go through. They put out some pretty interesting stuff.

There is a pretty interesting article about Artemi Panarin that just popped up. Apparently (and he never told anyone before) he was dirt-poor in a Russian mining town growing up and literally tied ropes around his skates because he couldn't afford laces. It's worth a read.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:23 pm

Kane - Panarin = Sux

Jason

Postby Jason » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:48 pm

7. We could get a clearer picture of Dallas’s future by the end of the week. Head coach Ken Hitchcock is getting points for Seguin’s excellent season and taking a historically bad penalty kill from 73.9 in 2016-17 to fourth in the NHL on March 12, when Ben Bishop’s injury wrecked his season. But, they did miss the playoffs and changes are coming.

The Stars had 244 power plays (20th in the NHL) and were short-handed 281 times, second-most to Nashville. That’s not a good ratio, especially for a team with such firepower. At the all-star break, they were eighth in the NHL with three goals per 60 minutes. They simply stopped scoring and finished 18th. I also heard a very interesting stat: they led the league in both icings and offsides. Hitchcock signed a one-year deal to coach with a consulting role to follow. The Stars are expected to look for a new backup for Bishop. The bigger question is if they choose other repairs internally, making 2017 third-overall pick Miro Heiskanen and potential returnee Valeri Nichushkin their top off-season acquisitions.

8. With Seguin a year away from unrestricted free agency, 2018-19 is going to be a very big season for Jamie Benn. He finished with eight goals and 10 points in the last five games, but Dallas was pretty much done by that point. Benn hasn’t been the same since an outstanding 2015-16 that made him a Hart finalist. They need him to get back to that level. How to get him back there will be an important internal conversation.

For once play the younger plays give them time to develop in the NHL. Whether it's Honka, Heiskanen, Hintz whoever.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:02 pm

Good article. Glad to see Faksa finally getting some national recognition for what he does out there.

Also, I'm actually pretty amazed that Vlasic took only two minor penalties all season (puck over the boards). For a defensive defenseman, that's... pretty much unheard of.

Jason

Postby Jason » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:29 pm

Heiskanen

Jason

Postby Jason » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:54 pm

Honka is the best example, as he came straight from Finland and has 191 games of AHL experience under his belt. He should be ripe enough to be an NHL regular, but the coaching staff chose to play Pateryn and Hamhuis. Similarly, the previous coaching staff chose to play Jordie Benn over Patrik Nemeth and Jamie Oleksiak. Nemeth, who was picked up on waivers by Colorado at the start of the season, is now a regular on the Avalanche and led the team in plus-minus at plus-27. Since joining the Penguins in a mid-season trade, Oleksiak has 14 points and is plus-13 in 47 games.

That seems like a waste of assets for the Stars.

“I think every team needs depth, and we’re no different,” said Stars owner Tom Gaglardi. “But I believe we have kids here who are ready and need to play. I think the answers are in our system or on our team.”

slaps

Postby slaps » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:04 pm

I love Friedmann’s work.

But first, our award ballots are due. This year, for the first time ever, all votes will be revealed once the winners are announced. Prior to that, the league prefers we keep our picks (mostly) quiet, so as not to ruin the Hitchcockian suspense.

The deadline is 7 p.m. (ET) Wednesday, so this isn’t finalized, but here’s where I’m going.

People get riled up over this, so as I say every year: If I don’t vote for your favourite players, it is because I dislike them, your team… and you.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:34 am

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:19 pm

Who is that?

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:05 pm

I thought he was set to sign with the Rangers. Or is Rads being traded?

Leonardo da Vinci

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:50 pm

slaps wrote:Who is that?

The handsome one is Kovalchuk, the one that looks like he just knifed an Uzbek is Radulov.

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:12 pm

With all the Diplomats being expelled and sanctions being handed down, could Putin keep the Russian hockey guys from playing in North America? It’s getting ugly.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:59 am

Rads' IG has been good to us in the past.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:23 pm

Oh, for fucks' sake.

https://theathletic.com/317577/2018/04/ ... te-a-trip/

But making an even bigger impact was Patrik Nemeth, who didn't even get through training camp with the Dallas Stars before being put on waivers on Oct. 3. The 41st overall pick of the 2010 draft never found a regular groove with the Stars and was the ninth defensemen on the depth chart — never a good thing.

[snip]

“Part of what excites players about coming to a situation like ours, where there’s a lot of opportunity on the back end, is they see more ice time and get put in more situations, get the opportunity to prove they can handle more minutes and play bigger minutes and take on a bigger role and try to win,” Bednar said. “It goes both ways. They have to earn that and the guys we have have done that.”

[snip]

Nemeth: I think right away off the bat they gave me a chance to play regularly and get pretty good minutes, and when you do that, when you get the regular minutes, that’s when you can improve your game. That’s when you can work on things from game to game instead of being worried about if you made a bad play that you’re going to be brought out of the lineup. I think that made a big difference for my game anyways.

So...I'm trying to wrap my head around this. If you give a player extended minutes and chances, that's how players grow and become better at playing hockey? What kind of mystical mumbo jumbo is this?

The whole interview is full of shots at Dallas' player development strategy, or lack thereof.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:29 pm

That makes no sense whatsoever. Much better to pay top dollar for third-pairing d-men in their mid-30s who only make rookie mistakes once every other shift.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:54 pm

That's really *fargin'* annoying. Nemeth and Oleksiak both.

I bet they both wish they had left sooner and I don't blame them one bit. Fire literally every single person involved with that aspect of the team right now.

Leonardo da Vinci

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:58 pm

Maybe wait til the Avs win more than one playoff game before declaring Nemergut a success story?
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:04 pm

I don't care if he's just a third-pari defenseman on the Avs. It's just straight-up asset mismanagement by Nill.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:46 pm

slaps wrote:So...I'm trying to wrap my head around this. If you give a player extended minutes and chances, that's how players grow and become better at playing hockey? What kind of mystical mumbo jumbo is this?

It isn't rocket science. You need to acquire young guys who are good. You then need to give those young players opportunity. Those young players then need to seize the opportunity.

Playing young guys just because they are young works fine when your young players are great (See Toronto, Columbus, and Winnipeg), but the league is full of awful teams who play the young guys only to find out their young guys aren't very good (See Arizona, Carolina, and Edmonton).

Oleksiak is a tough guy to fit into this discussion because he was handed a job something like three seasons in a row. The Stars went into camp expecting him to be one of the starting six, but he was so awful in camp each year that they ended up going in another direction. If they had played him game after game only to see him continue struggling, I think fans would have freaked out just as much as we do about seeing young guys get scratched game after game.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:07 pm

Yeah, but why is Oleksiak suddenly doing well with Pittsburgh?

Leonardo da Vinci