3/18 @ Jets - Out of luck the day the season died

SaintAngerBH

Re: 3/18 @ Jets - Out of luck the day the season died

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:54 pm

He'll be traded to the Penguins in the offseason where he will proceed to become the next Karlsson because the Penguins actually know how to develop their players....
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:05 am

It’s not even development. They continually acquire guys with a few years in the NHL and turn them into quality players. It’s just better coaching.

Hitch can’t figure out how to use Honka, but I bet we’d see the Pens find a way to make him useful. The Pens are a better coached team.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:08 am

Troy McClure wrote:It’s not even development. They continually acquire guys with a few years in the NHL and turn them into quality players. It’s just better coaching.

Hitch can’t figure out how to use Honka, but I bet we’d see the Pens find a way to make him useful. The Pens are a better coached team.

Their coach has never coached an NHL season where he failed to win the Stanley Cup.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:21 am

ScubaSteve wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:It’s not even development. They continually acquire guys with a few years in the NHL and turn them into quality players. It’s just better coaching.

Their coach has never coached an NHL season where he failed to win the Stanley Cup.

He coached two without winning a playoff series and then had to wait a decade to get another chance:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/coaches/sullimi01c.html

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:27 am

Ha, I honestly didn't know that he had a head coaching gig before the Pens. Glad you're here to fact check.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:02 am

ScubaSteve wrote:Ha, I honestly didn't know that he had a head coaching gig before the Pens. Glad you're here to fact check.

While I do think Sullivan is a good coach and has done very well in Pittsburgh, something to keep in mind is the fact that the Penguins nearly won back-to-back Stanley Cups in 2008, when Michel Therrien coached them to the Final and they lost to the Red Wings in six games, and in 2009, when Dan Bylsma replaced Therrien after 57 games and they won the Cup in Game 7 at Joe Louis Arena.

What those two versions of the Penguins had in common with the last two Stanley Cup winners:

Sidney Crosby
Evgeni Malkin
Kris Letang
Marc-Andre Fleury

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:50 am

So I don't think Honka is necessarily an amazing defenseman waiting to happen, but that's okay. He seems like he should be good enough to be a second pair guy who also gets good PP time. Those dmen are very valuable and great to be able to groom your selves versus signing random vets that you pay more for. Unfortunately, we'll never know as yeah, he'll continue to be the bubble guy through next year, not progress or regress at all, then eventually get traded for a 5th round pick or some *poo poo*.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:11 am

#JTONTFJTGM wrote:
ScubaSteve wrote:

He coached two without winning a playoff series and then had to wait a decade to get another chance:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/coaches/sullimi01c.html

21 postseason losses? Pathetic. Hard pass.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:13 am

It’ll be interesting to see what happens in this off season. If Heiskanen makes the jump next year then what do you do with 5 right shot defenseman? I think either Pateryn or Johns has to go.
Thora Birch.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:18 am

Preferably Pateryn, in that scenario. Nothing against the guy, as he's been surprisingly not bad, but I think Johns has a higher ceiling.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:29 am

BigAl wrote:It’ll be interesting to see what happens in this off season. If Heiskanen makes the jump next year then what do you do with 5 right shot defenseman? I think either Pateryn or Johns has to go.

Heiskanen is a lefty.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:46 am

So he is, not sure how I got the idea he was a righty.
Then it wouldn’t surprise me If Hamhuis leaves to make room for Heiskanen.
Thora Birch.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:50 am

BigAl wrote:So he is, not sure how I got the idea he was a righty.
Then it wouldn’t surprise me If Hamhuis leaves to make room for Heiskanen.

That would suit me just fine. Hamhuis is just a warm body.

Leonardo da Vinci

Jason

Postby Jason » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:30 pm

Hamhuis and Pateryn are both UFA's after the season.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:45 pm

Jason wrote:Hamhuis and Pateryn are both UFA's after the season.

One or both will be back. Nill can't enter a season without at least 8 d on NHL contracts.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.