03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Jason

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby Jason » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:27 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Honka certainly isn’t fixing anything with the offense. He's on pace to finish with fewer points than a bad Ludwig season, and Honka gets more PP time each game he plays than Ludwig probably had in any five seasons combined.

I isn’t even think it’s a system thing. This team struggled to score last season, and they had no defensive obligations under a Ruff. Depth scoring is a roster problem. Nill gave Hitch a bunch of dudes with no offensive ability, and Spezza’s decline came harder and faster than anyone expected.

It would be nice to see Dickinson tried out on one of the top lines because why not? He can’t be worse than Ritchie, so why not try. It would be nice to see Honka play because the theory is he has offensive ability.

Honka when he's in the lineup is at least helping the team get out of it's own zone, even if it is only 14-15 minutes a game. Yeah he has struggled putting up points, but he's far more skilled then what he has shown this year.

I agree Dickinson should be given a extended run with consistent minutes even put him on the PP, give him second line minutes for 5-6 games. Sometimes all a player needs is to be given the minutes, score a couple goals and the confidence that comes from it.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:30 pm

He's already looked better in the few games he's gotten to stay up here. He should for sure get Spezza's minutes for a few games, but that'll never happen.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:12 pm

What I’m going to enjoy is Honka getting scratched most of next season also. You know it’s coming. He’s going to enter next season still essentially an NHL rookie. Then Heiskanen joins the team. There’s no way in hell Hitch is playing two inexperienced d-men every night.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:54 pm

Troy McClure wrote:2.81 goals per game isn’t very good. That puts them 18th in the league.

In the past two months, they’re under 2.5 goals per game, which puts them at the very bottom of the league. The personnel didn’t change from January to now, but the play has declined. Coaching deserves some blame.

It isn't very good but it's better than it was last season when they played defense at a level that allowed the second-most goals against in the league.

You said it yourself in your next post.

Troy McClure wrote:This team struggled to score last season, and they had no defensive obligations under Ruff. Depth scoring is a roster problem. Nill gave Hitch a bunch of dudes with no offensive ability, and Spezza’s decline came harder and faster than anyone expected.

Coaching has absolutely nothing to do with the decline in this team's scoring. The way opponents are checking now that the playoff push is on is what's changed. Do you think the Penguins are checking the same way now that they were in November and December?

The talent level on this roster is only one kind of a significant problem. The hockey IQ of the players that have the talent is another big one that no one ever talks about.

I enjoyed hearing Hitch say it after the game which was why I included it earlier.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:30 pm

You’re giving Hitch total credit for one factor in the team improving but are shifting blame away from him when another part of the team is failing. This is the fourth or fifth time Hitch has delivered the same message after a game. It wasn’t new. If that message isn’t getting through or isn’t working, coaching may be to blame.

I also don’t see the point of praising a coach if his team wilts when facing tougher checking as games get more competitive.

The roster is full of flaws, but Hitch is displaying his own stubbornness with some odd decisions he seems married to when it comes to roles he wants to force guys into or not try guys in.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:41 pm

Let’s be honest, Shore and Pitlick may be having OK seasons, but on any team with real depth, they are 4th-line players. That’s why I was and am so bitter about Nill not even making a *fargin'* offer on Evander Kane or going after someone who can push those guys down a little bit. Hoffman, Maroon - those kind of guys could have helped us and were available for not a whole hell of a lot. The point isn’t that one of them could have been a huge difference maker down the line, but that filling the team with quality depth pushes players like Shore down the lineup where they belong.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:45 pm

Troy McClure wrote:You’re giving Hitch total credit for one factor in the team improving but are shifting blame away from him when another part of the team is failing. This is the fourth or fifth time Hitch has delivered the same message after a game. It wasn’t new. If that message isn’t getting through or isn’t working, coaching may be to blame.

I also don’t see the point of praising a coach if his team wilts when facing tougher checking as games get more competitive.

The roster is full of flaws, but Hitch is displaying his own stubbornness with some odd decisions he seems married to when it comes to roles he wants to force guys into or not try guys in.

It's okay. I don't expect you to ever believe anything I tell you.

I could tell you water is wet and then pour a bucket of it over you to prove it and you would disagree.

It's all good, though, because it makes things more enjoyable for me.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:38 pm

If it makes you feel any better, I lay the great majority of blame for my gripes at Nill’s feet. Nill’s poor drafting, deadline inaction, and other roster-building issues are the main drivers behind there being a lack of offensive talent.

It’s just that I’m also not yet ready to be happy with Hitch’s job unless I see this team do something in the playoffs. Nill gave him some turds, but I don’t watch these games and think Hitch is getting the absolute most out of them. Too many games have them playing flat or timid.

We see new coaches take teams from the dregs to highly competitive all the time. They’re usually the coaches in the running for the Adams, but Hitch isn’t going to get any Adams votes for this season. Taking a team from bad to ok isn’t praiseworthy. It’s the bare minimum expectation after a change is made. It’s why I lump him in with the people I’m disappointed in.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:34 am

Troy McClure wrote:Then Heiskanen joins the team.

Can Jason Robertson and Colton Point just go ahead and make the team next year too?
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:48 am

Knives Out wrote:

Can Jason Robertson and Colton Point just go ahead and make the team next year too?

Robertson is a man among boys now in the minors. How he fell to us in the 2nd round is beyond me.

Oettinger's got dibs, but Point's outplayed him (and every other college goalie) this year. Could be a fluke, but... Point IS a 5th rounder. a.k.a. another Magic Draftee.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:02 am

Knives Out wrote:

Sorry, but no. If you can't tell, the Stars are working overtime selling the idea of re-signing Kari for a few more seasons. Point won't have a chance to join the team until he's 25 years old.