03/11 @ Pittsburgh

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 15319
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby ToddM » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:28 am

Knives Out wrote:
ToddM wrote:Sheldon Keefe

Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and give a hard no to anyone who learned anything from David Frost ...

Keefe's been awesome with the Maple Leaf prospects. And even tho he trains 'em and loses 'em to the big club, he keeps winning ridiculous amounts of games. He's overdue for an NHL job.

User avatar
Knives Out
Posts: 18499
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 pm
Location: TO via MTL

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby Knives Out » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:40 am

Sounds like the same bullshit we heard about Gulutzan and Desjardins.
I'd rather hire someone we know for certain doesn't suck.
High risk high reward just isn't as exciting anymore when you desperately wanted your team to stop sucking ass 10 years ago.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 15319
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby ToddM » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:51 am

Neither Gully or Desjardins had Keefe's record. A closer comparable would be Jon Cooper.

User avatar
Knives Out
Posts: 18499
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 pm
Location: TO via MTL

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby Knives Out » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:09 am

Except that I don't see any Calder Cup championships or even an appearance in the Finals on his résumé.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

User avatar
B Kat
Posts: 14677
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:36 pm

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby B Kat » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:02 am

Ended up in the Pitt of Despair, and the R.O.U.S beat his former team fair and square. Plus Kari got screwed again. Can’t ask for much more from him and we know he’s overdueski to Kari it up.

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 15319
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby ToddM » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:43 am


User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 15319
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby ToddM » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:50 am

Since Feb 1st, the Stars are dead last in the NHL in goals scored at even strength, and 2nd best in goals allowed at even strength.

Also, no even strength goals scored in four games and counting.

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 15319
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby ToddM » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:29 am

Also since feb 1st, Stars are dead last in high danger scoring chances for and HD shooting percentage, and #1 in HD against.

So we're basically turtling for 60 minutes every game now and hoping to win 1-0 or 2-1.

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 44701
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:30 am

ToddM wrote:https://twitter.com/davelozo/status/972990012395487233

I know the fun habit is to update us every time a former d-man records a point, but I don't know what more they could have done with Oleksiak. They brought him into camp four seasons in a row with the expectation that he'd earn the job. They tried to hand him a job four seasons in a row, and he failed to step up and take it four seasons in a row.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 10912
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:39 am

Sometimes players just need a change of scenery.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
5minmajor
Posts: 16340
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:39 pm

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby 5minmajor » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:27 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Also, am I supposed to know who the old Brit race car driver is in these Heineken commercials?

yes.
"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 44701
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:29 pm

5minmajor wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:Also, am I supposed to know who the old Brit race car driver is in these Heineken commercials?

yes.

I can promise you if I don't, then no one under 40 does. Then again, maybe Heineken is targeting beer drinkers in their 50s and 60s.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
5minmajor
Posts: 16340
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:39 pm

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby 5minmajor » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:34 pm

That's not true. My kids know who he is. Also your knowledge of anything/everything(i.e. history) before you were born has been shown to be remarkably poor over the years.
"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 31934
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby slaps » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:42 pm

I like racing and I didn't know who he is. It's a poorly targeted ad.

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 31934
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby slaps » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:46 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
ToddM wrote:https://twitter.com/davelozo/status/972990012395487233

I know the fun habit is to update us every time a former d-man records a point, but I don't know what more they could have done with Oleksiak. They brought him into camp four seasons in a row with the expectation that he'd earn the job. They tried to hand him a job four seasons in a row, and he failed to step up and take it four seasons in a row.


To me, it's more about the ongoing issues the Stars seem to have drafting and developing talent. If it's a one-off here and there, maybe the player just needs a change of scenery. If it's a recurring theme, perhaps its something systemically wrong with the Stars organization.

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 44701
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:31 pm

slaps wrote:To me, it's more about the ongoing issues the Stars seem to have drafting and developing talent. If it's a one-off here and there, maybe the player just needs a change of scenery. If it's a recurring theme, perhaps its something systemically wrong with the Stars organization.

That's also something I can't argue with one bit.

It's easy to point to the many many draft failures the Stars have had, but this could very well be a problem of what happens after guys are drafted moreso than it is a problem of simply making back picks. Talking about this is tough because I don't know how to evaluate a team's player development from the outside. I also can't tell whether it's a problem of picking or nurturing or both. How would we know. We do know this problem has persisted through the tenures of multiple GMs.

The last Stars draft pick to show any signs of having the ability to produce quality offensive numbers in the NHL was Reilly Smith, and he was drafted in 2009 (9 *fargin'* drafts ago). Let's go back to 2004. Here is the list of Stars draft picks who are forwards who put up quality numbers: James Neal (2005), Jamie Benn (2007), Reilly Smith (2009), and that is all. Three guys in 14 *fargin'* drafts. You can go back twenty years all the way to 1998 and still not even need two *fargin'* hands to count their forwards who put up even mediocre numbers on a regular basis.

If you want to know why this team is last in the league in even strength scoring in recent weeks, this is why. They can't draft and/or develop players who produce offense. There is no hope on the *fargin'* horizon, either. Dickinson looks like just a dude. Gurianov is still a mystery. For the Stars to add talent, it's going to be via trade or free agency yet again because they *fargin'* suck at turning draft picks into productive forwards. *f-bomb*.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 15319
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby ToddM » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:39 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
5minmajor wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:Also, am I supposed to know who the old Brit race car driver is in these Heineken commercials?

yes.

I can promise you if I don't, then no one under 40 does. Then again, maybe Heineken is targeting beer drinkers in their 50s and 60s.


I had no idea who he was and I'm 42.

One of the "younger" clips of him looked like really bad CGI.

Jason
Posts: 10745
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:09 am

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby Jason » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:40 pm

It's the developing talent aspect. Some players need to be given a chance in the NHL, instead of being scratched for players who have no future with your team. Not all players need to sit in the AHL until they're over ripe. Put the players in a chance to succeed, that's not always with fourth liners. If the player is skilled put them with skilled players, especially when the team is struggling to score give them a extended time in the top six.

The team has no plan, either be a puck possession team or just be a grinding, dump chase team when the roster doesn't fit it. They are stuck in between the two styles.

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 15319
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby ToddM » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:49 pm

slaps wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:
ToddM wrote:https://twitter.com/davelozo/status/972990012395487233

I know the fun habit is to update us every time a former d-man records a point, but I don't know what more they could have done with Oleksiak. They brought him into camp four seasons in a row with the expectation that he'd earn the job. They tried to hand him a job four seasons in a row, and he failed to step up and take it four seasons in a row.


To me, it's more about the ongoing issues the Stars seem to have drafting and developing talent. If it's a one-off here and there, maybe the player just needs a change of scenery. If it's a recurring theme, perhaps its something systemically wrong with the Stars organization.


Niskanen, Nemeth, Oleksiak... I don't think it's a one-off thing here.

We basically give these guys 8-10 minutes a night to wow us, and when they make a single mistake, they get benched for 8 games. Then they get picked up for nothing by Cup-winning teams who immediately slot them into top-4 roles where they thrive.

I know there are roughly 41,000 posts on this board essentially saying "well, if X Player was any good, then why couldn't he beat out Woywitka/Gonchar/Pateryn/Etc?" But sometimes... lineup decisions aren't really made because of talent or on-ice production. Head coaches are human, they like "their guys," for whatever reasons, and some smarter team reaps the rewards of our high draft picks (basically exactly how we got Zubov and Seguin).

Right now it seems like Hitch is married to Methot, who kinda sucks, and Hamhuis/Pateryn, who get lit up for nearly all of our even-strength goals against. Just like Ruff was married to Kris Russell for no reason anyone could see on the ice, and Gonchar/Woywitka/etc. Eventually that will probably cost Hitch his job here (like it did earlier with Hatcher/Matvichuk), but in the meantime I guess we're supposed to watch the Stars score one goal and play Pateryn over Klingberg in games where they're trailing for 56 minutes.

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 37517
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:00 pm

Don't forget Dillon carrying the Sharks on his back all the way to a Campbell Bowl.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

User avatar
#JTONTFJTGM
Posts: 2104
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:31 am

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:54 pm

This team has improved from being 29th in the league in goals against per game last season to 4th this season and from scoring 2.71 goals per game last season to 2.81 this season and I'm seeing talk about firing Hitch?

Holy *poo poo*!

If you believe that you should be relegated to becoming an Islanders fan for the rest of your life.

The man is coaching a one line team whose best players are *fargin'* morons.


Jason
Posts: 10745
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:09 am

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby Jason » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:07 pm

Hitchock has made a big difference to the team, the team's highest paid players (Benn, Spezza) are awful. Certain lineup decisions are hurting the team's ability to be even better. The team's lack of passing, which starts out on the backend, hurts the team's ability to produce offense. Certain players are slow, the team needs to play the best roster for puck possession and they'll improve scoring again.

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 44701
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:34 pm

2.81 goals per game isn’t very good. That puts them 18th in the league.

In the past two months, they’re under 2.5 goals per game, which puts them at the very bottom of the league. The personnel didn’t change from January to now, but the play has declined. Coaching deserves some blame.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
B Kat
Posts: 14677
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:36 pm

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby B Kat » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:41 pm

Most teams have those problems too. It's a difficult balance. The defense first sacrifices offense. We could certainly put in Honka, but Honka alone isn't going to fix all those issues. At least we aren't giving up much, and with 13 games to go, keeping that up should get the Stars in the playoffs. I wouldn't be mad if Hitch scratched Spezza, but taking out that kind of experience and faceoff ability is a hard thing to do.

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 44701
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:54 pm

Honka certainly isn’t fixing anything with the offense. He's on pace to finish with fewer points than a bad Ludwig season, and Honka gets more PP time each game he plays than Ludwig probably had in any five seasons combined.

I isn’t even think it’s a system thing. This team struggled to score last season, and they had no defensive obligations under a Ruff. Depth scoring is a roster problem. Nill gave Hitch a bunch of dudes with no offensive ability, and Spezza’s decline came harder and faster than anyone expected.

It would be nice to see Dickinson tried out on one of the top lines because why not? He can’t be worse than Ritchie, so why not try. It would be nice to see Honka play because the theory is he has offensive ability.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 15319
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby ToddM » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:25 pm

I think our depth scoring is fine. Faksa, Janmark, Pitlick, Shore... all on pace for solid seasons. Just stuff the Big Three on the Thunderfuck Line and have everyone else chip in when they can. It worked pretty well two months ago. The drop in scoring started when Hitch decided to spread the big three to three separate lines (and also, of course, when Methot came back in the lineup).

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 37517
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:34 pm

ToddM wrote:I think our depth scoring is fine. Faksa, Janmark, Pitlick, Shore... all on pace for solid seasons. Just stuff the Big Three on the Thunderfuck Line and have everyone else chip in when they can. It worked pretty well two months ago. The drop in scoring started when Hitch decided to spread the big three to three separate lines (and also, of course, when Methot came back in the lineup).


Those depth pieces are all well and good, but they were really banking on at least two of them to take a step forward this year and be more than depth pieces. When you lose top end contributors like Spezza, Sharp, Eaves, and Hesmky to either free agency or age over the last couple of years, you need someone to step into those roles, and no one has.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 10912
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:10 pm

Man. When is Antti Miettinen going to take on that expanded offensive role? We're still waiting.....
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
mookie1010
Site Admin
Posts: 31849
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: East Side

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby mookie1010 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:38 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:
ToddM wrote:I think our depth scoring is fine. Faksa, Janmark, Pitlick, Shore... all on pace for solid seasons. Just stuff the Big Three on the Thunderfuck Line and have everyone else chip in when they can. It worked pretty well two months ago. The drop in scoring started when Hitch decided to spread the big three to three separate lines (and also, of course, when Methot came back in the lineup).


Those depth pieces are all well and good, but they were really banking on at least two of them to take a step forward this year and be more than depth pieces. When you lose top end contributors like Spezza, Sharp, Eaves, and Hesmky to either free agency or age over the last couple of years, you need someone to step into those roles, and no one has.

I think Steve is spot on.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 10912
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 03/11 @ Pittsburgh

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:09 pm

Well. I think Hanzal has filled Hemsky's role quite well, myself.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests