Kari Time!

:DeadHorse: :DeadHorse: :DeadHorse: D\ D\ D\

:S
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

B Kat

Re: 2/22 Scheduled Loss @ LA

Postby B Kat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:06 pm

IDK, Ben has not been the better goalie of late.

I kinda figure it's gonna be a blowout one way or the other.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:24 pm

B Kat wrote:IDK, Ben has not been the better goalie of late.

It will be one way. Not the other.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:25 pm

Ben has been a disappointment to me this year. Yeah, he plays lights out from time to time. But, so did Kari back in the day.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:33 pm

Bishop has been a huge upgrade over last year, but not as good as billed.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:38 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Bishop has been a huge upgrade over last year, but not as good as billed.

Especially when we'll keep getting billed for 5 more years. Nill is really pretty terrible at goalie signings and contracts.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:40 pm

Right now it seems like both us and the Blues are trying to lose their way out of the #3 spot (and a matchup with Winnipeg or Nashville) and into the #4 spot (possibly against Vegas... way easier).

Jason

Postby Jason » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:52 pm

Bishop is much better in the playoffs.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:55 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
B Kat wrote:IDK, Ben has not been the better goalie of late.

It will be one way. Not the other.

Perhaps. But I'm an optometrist. They should be pretty pissed and the Kings might not know what hit them. :)

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:59 pm

Jason wrote:Bishop is much better in the playoffs.

The problem is actually getting into the playoffs.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Jason

Postby Jason » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:47 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:
Jason wrote:Bishop is much better in the playoffs.

The problem is actually getting into the playoffs.

Maybe the inept offense which has scored 4 total goals over the past 4 games should do something about that. Hard to win many games averaging 1 goal a game over the past 4. So much money is being wasted by underachievers like Benn and Spezza for example. Until they start making some more changes (which they have ways to improve the team without making any trades) I hope they keep losing, not scoring.

Buying out Spezza isn't the answer either. This team sucks at passing so often, that starts on the backend. Pateryn had a nice run playing wise, he overachieved, he should be sitting now.
Giving up a lot for some players at the deadline isn't the right move either. If they can trade Spezza fine, but I don't see some team being that eager to do it.

I think putting Benn and Spezza(at center) together would be a good start, then going with Seguin and Radulov on the top line. A lot of the forwards have underachieved this season. Changing lines all the time is a poor, let them build chemistry. Spezza has always played best at center, I think a lot of his struggles at even strength especially are playing with worse quality players, I think putting him with Benn would help him start to get going. Put them together, give them five-eight games and see how it goes. Don't bail on it after a period or two.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:55 pm

I suggested in the other thread putting Benn, Spezza, and Roussel all together on one line so all your turnover machines on one line instead of having an instant turnover machine on each line.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:57 pm

Sure. Put them together down at the end of the bench and let them sit there.

Leonardo da Vinci

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:22 pm

Yeah, Pateryn and even Hamhuis are gonna regress to the mean. Other than Spezza, I don’t think our forwards have really underperformed. Counting on the likes of Shore, Ritchie, Pitlick (who is great in his role) for lots of scoring isn’t too realistic. Seguin, Benn, Radulov, Klingberg, our core players have performed. Jan mark is better than expected. But as happens, different things every night can making winning difficult. Shitty goaltending for, or awesome goaltending against seems to be a major theme. Not being ready to start. What is it now, 9 of the past 11 games we give up the first goal?

We are a playoff team, we are not a powerhouse.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:39 pm

I think they were counting on Ritchie to improve to a 20+ goal scorer.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:48 pm

Troy McClure wrote:I think they were counting on Ritchie to improve to a 20+ goal scorer.

I don't blame them too much for thinking that. He scored 16 last year if I remember correctly. He'll be lucky to reach 10 this year.

Leonardo da Vinci

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:19 pm

You needed one of Shore, Janmark, Faksa, Ritchie, Elie, etc, to become more than just warm bodies rounding out your lower lines. Janmark has come the closest, and Faksa seems be turning into a nice checking line center, but by and large nobody from the youth group has been able to step up and fill in the offensive roles that were vacated by Eaves, Sharp, and Spezza. The entire second unit that made this team dangerous offensively is gone.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:39 pm

Janmark’s skating and checking looks like it did before the injury, and his offensive game is fine. The problem is, to your point about no secondary scoring, he’s the highest scoring forward behind Benn-Seguin-Rads, and he’s probably finishing the season with 40 points.

Don’t overlook Roussel. He’s having his worst offensive season. He’s not a big numbers guy, but it’s another vet like Spezza I’m sure Nill was counting on. He may be suffering from the team getting away from wild ass fire wagon hockey.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:51 pm

Yeah, but Roussel puts the other team on the PP so much that most of his offensive is nullified.

Leonardo da Vinci

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:02 pm

Troy McClure wrote: He may be suffering from the team getting away from wild ass fire wagon hockey.

Yeah, he’s not super talented so he’s only really effective when he’s going all out on every shift. High energy players like him tend to have pretty short careers and I think he’s already close to the end of his.
Thora Birch.

Jason

Postby Jason » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:52 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:I think they were counting on Ritchie to improve to a 20+ goal scorer.

I don't blame them too much for thinking that. He scored 16 last year if I remember correctly. He'll be lucky to reach 10 this year.

Ritchie just looks slow all the time, his skating appears to be much worse this season.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:57 pm

Definitely. He is way too slow.

Leonardo da Vinci

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:01 pm

Can we trade Roussel, Ritchie, and a second for Hoffman?

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:17 pm

Minny is about to win and drop us down to a wildcard spot, so a loss to LA tonight and we're on the outside looking in.

Getsmacked123

Postby Getsmacked123 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:19 pm

This might be a must win game, could they still make the playoffs if they lose? Sure. But if they go 0-3 on this west road trip all confidence will be lost. I'm betting on them not making playoffs. But I enjoy adding my negative outlook on all my sports teams. *goddess* ass Benn has gotta play a lot better. He needs a hatty to get out of the dog pound. I'm predicting it. Benn will get a hat trick tonight.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:34 pm

I can't help but wonder how this stretch of poor play affects Nill's approach to the trade deadline. If they faceplant into the deadline, does Nill make a move seeing they need help or does he hold off because he doesn't want to waste future assets helping a team with no hope.

Also, is Nill's job totally safe? I wonder how under the gun he is to make the playoffs. Does that affect Nill's decision making.

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:03 pm

Nill has got to be under the gun. Five years in and they’ve won what, one playoff round in that entire time?

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:22 pm

This Benn led team has always had the propensity to fold when the stakes get high. This CA a trip is the biggest battle of the year looking at the standings, and so far? Yeah, folding.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:33 pm

slaps wrote:Nill has got to be under the gun. Five years in and they’ve won what, one playoff round in that entire time?

It's amazing when you look back. In the last 18 years, the Stars have gone deep into the playoffs exactly one time in 2008. Other than that, the last time was in 2000 when they got to the cup finals.

I'm defining deep as past the second round.

That's actually pretty startling when I sit and think about it.

Leonardo da Vinci