Trade Talk

SaintAngerBH

Re: Trade Talk

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:06 pm

Is it too early to yell fire Nill? How long do trades trickle in after the cutoff?
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:07 pm

Stars made no trades.

Also, Karlsson wasn't traded.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:09 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:Is it too early to yell fire Nill? How long do trades trickle in after the cutoff?

If this team misses the playoffs again, I'm all on board the fire Nill train. A fan drafting using TSN's draft board could have done as well as Nill at drafting first rounders.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

oglethorpe

Postby oglethorpe » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:12 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Stars made no trades.

Also, Karlsson wasn't traded.

Vanek and Kane both got moved for essentially a bag of pucks, the Stars need secondary scoring from the wings. Am I missing something here or did Nill just miss the boat. Not saying they are perfect, but they cost next to nothing and look a lot better than Brett Ritchie in the top 6.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:13 pm

Yeah. I'm pretty pissed off about this. We need more secondary scoring and could have easily had it judging by the Kane deal. Not good.

This season just got markedly less interesting.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Jason

Postby Jason » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:14 pm

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:14 pm

:S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S

Leonardo da Vinci

Jason

Postby Jason » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:16 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:Yeah. I'm pretty pissed off about this. We need more secondary scoring and could have easily had it judging by the Kane deal. Not good.

There was nothing available that was going to help the Stars win it all this year. The Stars can be better by first start playing the best lineup as they don't do that I hope they keep losing.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:20 pm

Jason wrote:
SaintAngerBH wrote:Yeah. I'm pretty pissed off about this. We need more secondary scoring and could have easily had it judging by the Kane deal. Not good.

There was nothing available that was going to help the Stars win it all this year. The Stars can be better by first start playing the best lineup as they don't do that I hope they keep losing.

Adding Vanek or Kane would do more to help the team win than playing Honka. Give it a rest.

Jason

Postby Jason » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:20 pm

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:22 pm

Jason wrote:

I don't expect the Stars to win it all, but I expect them to compete. They aren't doing so, in the toughest division in the NHL. Adding a Kane or a Vanek or a Maroon would have helped, for apparently relatively little cost. I'd trade Gurianov for Evander Kane.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:23 pm

No cap room killed any real chances of a significant deal.
Too bad we couldn’t trade Honka plus any one of our 10 fourth liners for something better.
Thora Birch.

Jason

Postby Jason » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:31 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
Jason wrote:

Adding Vanek or Kane would do more to help the team win than playing Honka. Give it a rest.

It's far more then just Honka. The team is flawed, the changes need to be made in the off-season. The team looks slow so often. The Stars are better off going the Pacific route in the playoffs.
Vanek while he would have helped he's also another slow player. The Stars are better off saving the assests for the right time. Otherwise you'll end up like the Wild without the pieces to acquire players you need when they're available.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:31 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
Jason wrote:

I agree with Jason. No one other than McDonough or maybe Brassard who was traded today is anything close to a game-breaker. Almost all the "big name" forwards peaked 5 years ago (Vanek, Nash, Stastny, Nyquist) or have faded hard to the point of irrelevance recently (Kane) or were bottom-6 guys with low ceilings (Hartman).

Would you trade a first rounder for a guy who can't even outscore Jason "Fourth Line" Spezza despite 20 mins a night on the first line? You guys act like we missed the boat but I don't see much more than a couple of leaky rowboats here, all going for $100,000 apiece.

Really, the only way to judge Nill this season is what he did over the summer: Radulov (A), Bishop (B+), Hanzal (F), Pitlick (B+), Hitchcock (B+). That's a pretty solid record overall. And we're leagues ahead of where we were at this point last season. We're not Cup Contenders yet, but really there's only like 4 teams that are, and two of them are in our division. No need to hit the panic button because we didn't hand over three high picks in the Ryan Hartman Sweepstakes.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:32 pm

BigAl wrote:Stars acquire Hanzal from IR.

Blolz.

Except we know he'll be back on it in 2 games.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:34 pm

wonko80 wrote:
BigAl wrote:Stars acquire Hanzal from IR.

Blolz.

Except we know he'll be back on it in 2 games.

Yeah, pretty sure that trade will get nullified.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

Jason

Postby Jason » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:37 pm

Great trade for Tampa.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:47 pm

Jason wrote:It's far more then just Honka. The team is flawed, the changes need to be made in the off-season. The team looks slow so often. The Stars are better off going the Pacific route in the playoffs.
Vanek while he would have helped he's also another slow player. The Stars are better off saving the assests for the right time. Otherwise you'll end up like the Wild without the pieces to acquire players you need when they're available.

But there is nothing the team can do to ice a better lineup this season. They have Honka and nothing else, and I don't think playing Honka would do all that much to change the end result of these games. But hey, if playing Honka makes everyone happy, go for it.

I'm just tired of this save the assets bullshit.

This is year 10 of saving their *fargin'* assets. Yes, ten years of playing it safe and building for the future. How the *f-bomb* can a team save their assets for ten years and have nothing in the pipeline? I mean, if it wasn't for winning the draft lottery this past season, there would be no glimmer of hope on the horizon because there isn't anyone in the system who looks ready to do a damn thing in the NHL anytime soon.

What's the *fargin'* point of playing it safe when doing so hasn't helped the team get any better? If they miss the playoffs this season, it will mean they've missed the playoffs eight of the past ten years. That's almost impossible to do. Hell, the *fargin'* Coyotes have done better over that same run, and they've been a mess for most of their existence.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:47 pm

ToddM wrote:Really, the only way to judge Nill this season is what he did over the summer: Radulov (A), Bishop (B+), Hanzal (F), Pitlick (B+), Hitchcock (B+). That's a pretty solid record overall. And we're leagues ahead of where we were at this point last season. We're not Cup Contenders yet, but really there's only like 4 teams that are, and two of them are in our division. No need to hit the panic button because we didn't hand over three high picks in the Ryan Hartman Sweepstakes.

I'm judging Nill on the entire body of his work, and it's pretty lacking at this point.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:51 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
Jason wrote:It's far more then just Honka. The team is flawed, the changes need to be made in the off-season. The team looks slow so often. The Stars are better off going the Pacific route in the playoffs.

But there is nothing the team can do to ice a better lineup this season. They have Honka and nothing else, and I don't think playing Honka would do all that much to change the end result of these games. But hey, if playing Honka makes everyone happy, go for it.

This is year 10 of saving their *fargin'* assets. Yes, ten years of playing it safe and building for the future. How the *f-bomb* can a team save their assets for ten years and have nothing in the pipeline? I mean, if it wasn't for winning the draft lottery this past season, there would be no glimmer of hope on the horizon because there isn't anyone in the system who looks ready to do a damn thing in the NHL anytime soon.

What's the *fargin'* point of playing it safe when doing so hasn't helped the team get any better? If they miss the playoffs this season, it will mean they've missed the playoffs eight of the past ten years. That's almost impossible to do. Hell, the *fargin'* Coyotes have done better over that same run, and they've been a mess for most of their existence.

Let's ask the Predators and the Penguins how NOT playing it safe has worked out for them. They have two of the most active and aggressive GM's in the league.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:51 pm

ToddM wrote:Really, the only way to judge Nill this season is what he did over the summer: Radulov (A), Bishop (B+), Hanzal (F), Pitlick (B+), Hitchcock (B+). That's a pretty solid record overall. And we're leagues ahead of where we were at this point last season. We're not Cup Contenders yet, but really there's only like 4 teams that are, and two of them are in our division. No need to hit the panic button because we didn't hand over three high picks in the Ryan Hartman Sweepstakes.

I'm hitting the panic button because I'm tired of watching this team not be contenders. This is year five under Gaglardi and Nill. Nill's shitty drafting is as much a reason why this team isn't a contender as anything else. If his first two draft picks hadn't been busts, they wouldn't have had to spend all of their cap room chasing players to fill the forward spots his picks should be playing.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:01 pm

Eh. I didn't see any must-haves at this deadline, and this team isn't going anywhere, anyway. You could add Karlsson to this thing for free, and odds you still probably aren't making it out of the first two rounds, if you even manage to win a series. Sitting tight is frustrating, but I didn't really see any better options.

Now you're right about the drafting whiffs and a lot of the other major problems that deserve serious evaluation.

Jason

Postby Jason » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:11 pm

Troy McClure wrote:But there is nothing the team can do to ice a better lineup this season. They have Honka and nothing else, and I don't think playing Honka would do all that much to change the end result of these games. But hey, if playing Honka makes everyone happy, go for it.

The type of players I wanted them to go after were long-term additions such as Domi or Galchenyuk. Neither one was traded.
Say for Pacioretty, they asked for Coyle from the Wild according to Friedman, the Stars don't have that type of player to trade for him.

There are plenty of things that can be done, to try and make the best what they have. Spezza is poor defensively, but he needs to play more minutes, play center and play with better linemates otherwise it's just a waste. That's why playing him on line two with Benn is ideal, and if they would stop changing all the lines so often. Let the players gain chemistry.

The team is in transition, they've got many players who are so slow, they need to get faster, better puck possession, more skilled players out there.

The team's poor stretch (starting with the 2/11 Vancouver game) has started when Honka has only played one of those games. Honka to me hasn't played good this year at all, but the team is much better when he is in the lineup then if he's not playing.
When they play better teams, things such as the team's inability to get the puck out of its own zone. Results in goals against or extended time in its own end, which happens more often Pateryn's on the ice.

Jason

Postby Jason » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:18 pm

slaps wrote:Let's ask the Predators and the Penguins how NOT playing it safe has worked out for them. They have two of the most active and aggressive GM's in the league.

The Penguins went out and acquried players who did good in the playoffs, they can afford to go all in because of Crosby and Malkin.

The Predators had pieces to make the trades they did, the Stars didn't have a Webber to trade for Subban. That's a big issue in these situations, the Stars simply don't have the pieces to go out and get these players unless you're going to trade Heiskanen which is completely stupid at this point. Honka's value isn't going to be that high. Nichushkin's value is at a all time low since he's over in Russia.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:18 pm

Yeah, nothing all that great out there. A Maroon, Vanek or Kane would have been OK, as all are UFAs and could help with scoring this season. But I wouldn't give up Honka or a 1st for any of them. Mc Donough was a different story, but we don't need D. Giving up a 1st for Nash might have been OK, but he's not fast or the man he used to be. Also Boston is also a top team, they might win the cup. A 1st for Tatar and even potential 1st for Kane with his salary, Pass.

I think we'll live.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:27 pm

I think "we'll" be playing golf really soon.

Leonardo da Vinci

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:29 pm

We are probably going to be golfing soon even if we picked up some of those spares.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:37 pm

Spares would be more helpful in bowling.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:39 pm

The thing is some of these other teams have pieces to trade because they apparently can draft players that other teams want. The Stars seem unable to do that, or just hang on to those players until all their value is gone.

As to Honka, I'm all for playing him as I think his ceiling is higher than that of Pateryn, but I don't expect a guy playing 3rd pair to actually be the difference between winning and losing every game.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:41 pm

Pacioretty is who I really wanted. But, if they asked for Coyle from the Wild, then there is no way we could have gotten him.

Leonardo da Vinci