Trade Talk

Troy McClure

Re: Trade Talk

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:47 pm

The Penguins got Derick Brassard from the Sens for a 1st round pick, d-man Ian Cole, and former second round pick goalie Filip Gustavsson.

Brassard has one more year on his deal, so keep this price in mind when kicking around the cost of a guy like Hoffman or Pacioretty.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:00 pm

A good pick, a low-pair defenseman, and a no-name prospect? I'd send a comparable package for Pacioretty or a similar player.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:07 pm

Shea Weber is great and all. But, I would have kept Subban. I think he's better.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:35 am

STAY.THE.*f-bomb*.AWAY.FROM.PACIORETTY.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

slaps

Postby slaps » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:14 am

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:21 am

*f-bomb* Ottawa. You can have as many free Uber rides as you want with the Dallas Stars, Erik.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:56 pm

I see ...

Well that makes way more sense than just Ottawa being ultimate dumbasses and trading him just 'cause.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:57 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:*f-bomb* Ottawa. You can have as many free Uber rides as you want with the Dallas Stars, Erik.

LOL you can even have one of Frugal's cars.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:07 pm

Knives Out wrote:I see ...

Well that makes way more sense than just Ottawa being ultimate dumbasses and trading him just 'cause.

I don't know. The NHL nullified the Brassard trade because it turned out the Senators weren't getting anything back in the trade with Vegas. The teams had to rework the deal to give the Sens something.

Also, Vegas seems to have intervened to eat part of Brassard's salary to help the Pens, and the whole reason why was to keep the Jets from getting him.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

slaps

Postby slaps » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:15 pm

Let’s retitle this thread “The Downward Spiral (Of The Senators).”

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/senators-ar ... 02579.html

With arguably the best defenceman in franchise history about to be flipped in the prime of his career, and angst with polarizing owner Eugene Melnyk continuing to mount, a few fans flaunted homemade signs plastered with slogans like “Take Eugene Not Karlsson” and “Melnyk Out” during Ottawa’s 5-3 loss to the Flyers on Saturday.

Security personnel (likely on orders from the top) at the Canadian Tire Centre reportedly threatened these fans before confiscating some of those signs. Someone in attendance captured a video of one of the altercations, which apparently resulted in the ejection of another fan trying to film the encounte

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:38 am

Troy McClure wrote:
Knives Out wrote:I see ...

I don't know. The NHL nullified the Brassard trade because it turned out the Senators weren't getting anything back in the trade with Vegas. The teams had to rework the deal to give the Sens something.

Also, Vegas seems to have intervened to eat part of Brassard's salary to help the Pens, and the whole reason why was to keep the Jets from getting him.

So after all is said and done, Vegas gets Ryan Reaves and the honor of paying 40% of Brassard's salary.

That's about as close as we're ever going to get to a real-life "...for a bag of pucks."

Seriously, Nill should be working a Reilly Smith-for-Ritchie trade this very second.

slaps

Postby slaps » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:03 am

So we aren’t getting Nash.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:23 am

slaps wrote:So we aren’t getting Nash.

The Bruins has to give up 1st, a 7th, d prospect Ryan Lindgren (former 2nd rounder), Ryan Spooner (decent NHL forward), and Matt Beleskey (NHL/AHL tweener).

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:45 am

It’s ok. I’m pretty well convinced Nill will do nothing at the deadline because he’ll say the prices are too high.

Then this offseason, there won’t be enough cap room to add any meaningful help, and there aren’t any forward prospects on the horizon to add offense to the roster.

:S

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:16 pm

Nill might lose his job if that scenario actually plays out. As is, this team isn't any better than any Stars team since the 08 run. They won't make it past the second round if they even get in.

Leonardo da Vinci

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:37 pm

It looks like once again GMs are kicking their TV partners in the crotch by getting all of the trades done ahead of the deadline day.

Jason

Postby Jason » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:20 pm

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:07 pm

Good. This Stars team isn't good enough (yet) to compete, so no need to lose assets on a rental.
Regroup and hopefully improve in the off-season, and then maybe next year or the year after we can get excited about the trade deadline.
The only trade I wanna hear about from us is if we nab Karlsson LOL. Give them Jamie and some firsts IDGAF.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:39 pm

The best part of trading for Karlsson would be seeing Stars fans freak out about giving up Honka.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:42 pm

It's really annoying that this team is going nowhere again. Seriously. I posted this a few days ago too. But, the Dallas Stars have been on exactly one deep playoff run in the last 18 years. That's nearly two decades, folks.

2000 - Stanley Cup Final
2001 - Lost in round 2 to St. Louis
2002 - No playoffs
2003 - Lost in round 2 to Anaheim
2004 - Lost in round 1 to Colorado
2006 - Lost in round 1 to Colorado
2007 - Lost in round 1 to Vancouver
2008 - Lost in round 3 to Detroit
2009 - No playoffs
2010 - No playoffs
2011 - No playoffs
2012 - No playoffs
2013 - No playoffs
2014 - Lost in round 1 to Anaheim
2015 - No playoffs
2016 - Lost in round 2 to St. Louis
2017 - No playoffs
Last edited by SaintAngerBH on Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leonardo da Vinci

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:45 pm

If the Stars are a “win now” team then is it worth it to consider Heiskanen for Karlsson?
Thora Birch.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:47 pm

BigAl wrote:If the Stars are a “win now” team then is it worth it to consider Heiskanen for Karlsson?

Would just adding Karlsson get us deep into the playoffs? I'm not very confident of that. There are some weird systemic issues, not to mention the still-inconsistent goaltending despite adding Bishop.

Leonardo da Vinci

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:57 pm

That depends. Is Karlsson any good against the Jets and Preds, or does he just whup up on shitty Eastern teams to pad his Klingberg-esque stats?

Because any "deep" playoff run has to go thru both of those teams. I don't think we're quite there yet.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:07 am

BigAl wrote:If the Stars are a “win now” team then is it worth it to consider Heiskanen for Karlsson?

That is a *fargin'* excellent question.
I'm high as balls on our miracle baby boy, but I think that I say yes if given the chance?
And then that makes me feel dirty.

What do y'all think?

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:53 am

I'd do it if it can work salary cap-wise. Karlsson is still only 27 and already great. Who knows if Heiskanen will be?

And Karlsson will likely be much better next season after a full offseason of training, which he didn't get last summer because of the surgery on his foot that caused him to miss the beginning of this season.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:53 am

The Heiskanen for Karlsson question is an awesome one.

When we talk about windows and when the ream is ready or able to win, we should take a look at the team's important veteran players.

Code: Select all

Player      Age*      Contract         BS
Benn        29        6 more seasons   Can't help but wonder what he'll have left at age 33.
Seguin      26        1 more season    The next $10 million man.
Radulov     32        4 more seasons   As physical as he is, how much longer can he be this awesome into his 30s?
Bishop      31        5 more seasons   How many more seasons does he have as a quality starter?
Spezza      35        1 more season    If Nill can't dump this contract, it's going to impede doing much this summer.
Klingberg   26        4 more seasons   Might want to try to win while you have this best contract in the NHL.

Then you add in some wishful thinking:

Code: Select all

Karlsson    28         1 more season   He'll still be awesome for another three seasons for sure.

* Age is as of the start of next season.

Gaglardi and Nill threw in a lot of cap dollars to bring in Radulov and Bishop. Sure seems like punting on this season is taking for granted the ability of these expensive vets in their 30s to come back and be equally good next season.

Edit: NHL Numbers didn't expand to show past 2022. Sorry. Benn's contract has 6 more seasons. Bishop has 5 more seasons.
Last edited by Troy McClure on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:52 am

Troy McClure wrote:
slaps wrote:So we aren’t getting Nash.

The Bruins has to give up 1st, a 7th, d prospect Ryan Lindgren (former 2nd rounder), Ryan Spooner (decent NHL forward), and Matt Beleskey (NHL/AHL tweener).

That seems like a lot to give up for 6 goals from a 34 year old who doesn't do anything else.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:55 am

Benn will be fine until age 33. He's bad at training, which doesn't help, but he has the tools.
Seguin will continue to be awesome, forever.
Radulov may wear down a bit, but he probably understands that and will adjust.
Bishop is the question mark. His inconsistency this season is underwhelming.
Spezza is already gone, whatever.
Klingberg will continue to get better for a few more seasons.

Karlsson for Heiskanen? I don't know. Sure hate to trade something you don't even understand. Plus he's 10 years younger. And Karlsson is a player in the Ottawa feud, Melnyk isn't an island. But there is no denying Klinger and Karlsson on the same team would be dreamy.

I figure we'll not do much this season. Hope for better Hanzal health.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:19 am

Isn't Bishop signed for one more season than that?

I wouldn't make the trade, because I don't think you can play both Klingberg and Karlsson on the same pair, and it would be hard to give them both the minutes they deserve. Plus the cost of Karlsson's new contract would be so high that it would impede signing any sort of scoring depth that we seem to need.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:20 am

I also question that Benn will be fine until that age. He's already losing effectiveness this season. He is no longer a power forward at all and he seems to think he can stickhandle through players when he cannot. Maybe he can adjust his game, but I haven't really seen evidence of that this season at all.