Radulov

The Lake

Radulov

Postby The Lake » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:08 pm

This guy sucks. Worse signing since Turgeon. I feel sorry for those who jumped the gun and bought a jersey before he even played a game.

SaintAngerBH

Re: Radulov

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:21 pm

Wait. Are you being sarcastic?
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:26 pm

Advanced stats-wise, Radulov might be the worst forward on the team (now that Cracknell's gone):

The far right column is "expected goals/60", which is being hit out of the park for Seguin (who is insane right now) (average for an NHL forward is 0.65, so Tyler's twice as good as the average player). Radulov looks to be scoring about one goal every 9 or so games, at his current pace. Expected Goals takes into account the type of shot, the distance, etc etc. He's just not launching any threatening shots whatsoever.

But he skates around and hits a lot, so... fan favorite!

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:09 pm

I haven't made up my mind about Radulov yet. He plays a physical game, which is great, but he has been a bit off. Maybe it will take him a while to find his place, maybe he needs different line mates.

What were his fancy stats last season?

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:28 pm

Further proof advanced stats are bullshit. Three guys on the ice together with the exception of some PK time, and the advanced stats want to say they can measure that much meaningful difference between them? Total lies.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:41 pm

I don’t even know what the hell are those “stats” are supposed to be.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:00 pm

I would actually experiment with him on the second to see if he can get tha going. Janmark has had a whole slew of amazing looks and so has Spezza, but neither have produced.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:19 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Further proof advanced stats are bullshit. Three guys on the ice together with the exception of some PK time, and the advanced stats want to say they can measure that much meaningful difference between them? Total lies.

They pretty much mirror the eye test. Radulov skates around a lot and throws his body around, but his line doesn't produce anything because of it. He's been gifted open shots on net and flubbed them. He'll probably get better, but his first five games he's been a Glorified Garbutt: all flurry with no result.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:28 pm

Radulov is also leading all forwards on the team in relative Corsi for, so obviously he is the best player since ever. Just gotta find the metric that suits your needs.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:42 pm

Advanced ScubaStats show that Jamie Benn leads the team in coasting and in lazy backhands straight into the goalie's pads on breakaways.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:05 am

As the great Darryl Reaugh once said, "Statistics are like bikinis. They show a lot, but they don't show everything."
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:33 am

Benn has one big hit and the rest of the time he's been floating around. Maybe all the hardwork Radulov is doing is not being finished by his linemates.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:55 am

Troy McClure wrote:Radulov is also leading all forwards on the team in relative Corsi for, so obviously he is the best player since ever. Just gotta find the metric that suits your needs.

Wait, aren't I the Corsi guy, and you the Eyeball Test guy? We need to switch positions. Here:

Radulov is great! His corsi is off the charts, so the process is working, even if the results havent been there (yet).

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:57 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:As the great Darryl Reaugh once said, "Statistics are like bikinis. They show a lot, but they don't show everything."

:bigleb

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:00 pm

We can all agree that Pitlick has been pretty good though, yes?
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:03 pm

Sure.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:52 am

Yes. It might be the only time though.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:24 am

ScubaSteve wrote:We can all agree that Pitlick has been pretty good though, yes?

Oilers fans seemed to like him a lot, but they had given up on him because he never could stay healthy. I love how he plays. His forecheck game is top notch.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:55 am

Warning: stats!

Basically what these graphs show is that since Hitch put Pitlick with Faksa and Roussel, that line has been absofuckinglutely amazing. They allow hardly any shots and no goals, while launching waves of shots on the opposing net.

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:13 am

Every time Todd posts some *fargin'* graph in hieroglyphics that gives absolutely no clue what information it is supposed to convey, I more clearly see why the NHL doesn't really do much with advanced stats.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:52 pm

Take shift starts, for example. Those numbers don't tell the whole story about how a guy is used. Some percentage of shifts start with a line change while some additional percentage start with neutral zone faceoffs. Yet no one seems to published what all these various percentages are, but here we are breaking down how a guy is used without factoring in the other ways shifts start.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:53 pm

slaps wrote:Every time Todd posts some *fargin'* graph in hieroglyphics that gives absolutely no clue what information it is supposed to convey, I more clearly see why the NHL doesn't really do much with advanced stats.

I mean. I understand there are fans that are really into the stats *poo poo*. But, for me it totally takes away from the enjoyment of the game. I'd rather just watch an entertaining product.

I deal with statistical analyses all day in the lab. Hockey is my escape from it.

Leonardo da Vinci

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:55 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:
slaps wrote:Every time Todd posts some *fargin'* graph in hieroglyphics that gives absolutely no clue what information it is supposed to convey, I more clearly see why the NHL doesn't really do much with advanced stats.

I mean. I understand there are fans that are really into the stats *poo poo*. But, for me it totally takes away from the enjoyment of the game. I'd rather just watch an entertaining product.

I deal with statistical analyses all day in the lab. Hockey is my escape from it.

If you were to measure how much enjoyment it takes, would you do so in parsecs?

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:04 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
SaintAngerBH wrote:

If you were to measure how much enjoyment it takes, would you do so in parsecs?

More like give-a-fucks. Every graph posted takes away one more.

Leonardo da Vinci

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:06 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Take shift starts, for example. Those numbers don't tell the whole story about how a guy is used. Some percentage of shifts start with a line change while some additional percentage start with neutral zone faceoffs. Yet no one seems to published what all these various percentages are, but here we are breaking down how a guy is used without factoring in the other ways shifts start.

I'm pretty sure they track all that *poo poo* too, but since most line changes occur in the nuetral zone anyways, they can nix that data because it's meaningless. Zone starts are pretty good indicators of how your coach uses you. Every so often, a player comes along that takes most of their starts in the defensive zone, and drive insane offensive zone possession numbers anyways. Datsyuk was really good at that, as was Brad Richards-era Jamie Benn. But mostly they're just a number that tells you what a coach thinks about so-and-so.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:07 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:More like give-a-fucks. Every graph posted takes away one more.

I used to feel like that, but now I like them. Especially when they confirm that the players I like are good and the players I don't like are bad.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:35 pm

Yeah. But they say that Radulov sucks and I like Radulov. :lol:

Leonardo da Vinci

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:46 pm

I want to see the graph that shows how many Baltic drifters Radulov's knifed.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:24 pm