2017-2018 Stars Season Thread

B Kat

Re: 2017-2018 Stars Season Thread

Postby B Kat » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:32 pm

Also, I've been wondering which Dman gets scratched when Methot returns? Maybe go with 7 D?

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:37 pm

It's millennials and all their ADHD.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:38 pm

B Kat wrote:Also, I've been wondering which Dman gets scratched when Methot returns? Maybe go with 7 D?

Don't kid yourself. Honka will sit.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:39 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Maybe leave Spezza with Seguin or Radulov for a bit instead of keeping him with the 4th line jobbers and maybe you'll see an increase in production. At least put him on the top powerplay unit instead of throwing him out there with Hanzal and Ritchie.

Spezza has been given many opportunities on the top PP unit, and he's delivered nothing this season.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:16 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:
B Kat wrote:Also, I've been wondering which Dman gets scratched when Methot returns? Maybe go with 7 D?

Don't kid yourself. Honka will sit.

Sadly that is true. Apparently Pateryn is untouchable.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:57 pm

Pateryn and Methot have basically the same skillset: neither team scores when they're on the ice.

So obviously Honka will have to come out because reasons.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:58 pm

I would honestly try Klingberg at forward when Methot comes back.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:34 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Great leadership there from Jamie . . .

Mike Heika wrote:The delicate balance between word and action plays out on the ice for Jamie Benn like a Tom Hardy film role.

The Stars captain is typically a man of few words, but he seems to choose his moments well. And when he doesn't want to talk, well, that's when the movie gets really good.

As the Stars have started the kind of journey Hardy treads in The Revenant or Mad Max: Fury Road, it has been anything but easy. The team quickly fell in a ditch and has been battling adversity much of its first 40 games.

New/old coach Ken Hitchcock preaches a strategy where he first leads and then eventually hands leadership responsibility over to the players. While that worked perfectly behind the scenes in the past and happened organically with the old Stars, it's a more public proposition in this day of media overexposure. You want the story, so we ask about it. A lot.

When is this handoff of leadership going to take place?

How is it going to take place?

Who are the parties that will make this handoff take place?

I bombarded Benn with those questions Friday morning, and he sort of just shrugged.

"It starts with myself," he said, repeating one of his favorite lines before delivering one of those Hardy-like observations that actually cuts pretty deep.

"If the rest of this team sees the captain, the leaders, the mentors, the older guys setting a good example, playing the right way, playing a tough game with a lot of compete, then they have something to follow, and then there's no excuses for anything," he said.

It was an intriguing look into what Benn has learned in his four-plus years as captain. He is not going to talk much, he is not going to yell at his teammates, he is not going to make demanding speeches.

But he is going to lead.

It's almost like Hardy's character in Lawless, Forrest Bondurant, stating: "It is not the violence that sets a man apart -- it's the distance he is prepared to go."

Benn was like that Friday. He was part of a gritty Stars effort that built a 1-0 lead, but he then saw it all evaporate when the team allowed two goals in two minutes in the third period. So, somebody had to act.

Benn's forecheck late in the third period was a great example of that. He skated in hard on Blues defenseman Joel Edmundson, intercepted a pass, skated behind the net, wheeled out in front and whipped a backhand shot past Jake Allen to tie the game 2-2. Allen got tangled up in the carnage of the Benn takeaway, and the Blues felt there might have been interference on the play. Benn even called the goal lucky, but that misses the point.

His action created the mistake, it created the chaos, it created the solution. It created doubt and confusion in Edmundson, who took a roughing penalty two minutes later. That penalty opened the door to Alexander Radulov's power play goal to give the Stars the lead.

That's what a big play by a leader can do. It changes the ripples of the game.

"That's his responsibility," Hitchcock said. "He takes it seriously and he's good at it."

Goalie Ben Bishop added: "At any given time in a game, he kind of takes it over. He's a great leader, he's a great captain. I'm proud to play for him. He steps up when we need him."

Now, in this nebulous handoff of power from coach to players that will signal the team is ready to compete in the playoffs, there has to be a whole lot more involvement than just Jamie Benn. The alternate captains have to step up. So do some key kids. And they will have to do so both on and off the ice.

It won't be easy and it won't be quick.

But if they are looking for a sign, all they have to do is watch Benn and listen for the kind of line Hardy delivered in Inception before taking matters into his own hands.

"You mustn't be afraid," he said, "to dream a little bigger, darling."

Like a lot of things Hardy characters say, that's something a lot of teammates will understand...eventually.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:27 am

Heika has his moments.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:36 pm

Thankfully, Modano's silent "leadership" wasn't around long enough to rub off on Benn.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:09 pm

So who’s the-beach vacation-half way point Most valuable Dallas star? It’s been a mixed bag so far, but mine is Hitch or Wilson, but there is a case to be made for several players, like Radulov, Bishop, and Klingberg.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:17 pm

Bishop and it's not even close. Not really MVP level compared to the rest of the league, but it's the biggest position of improvement from last year. Radulov and Klingberg tied for second, then Seguin fourth.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:42 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Bishop and it's not even close. Not really MVP level compared to the rest of the league, but it's the biggest position of improvement from last year. Radulov and Klingberg tied for second, then Seguin fourth.

I like Bishop and he's been a steadying force at home, but he's 13th in the league in goals against average, tied for 19th in save percentage and his performance on the road (3.37 goals against average and .890 save percentage) has been abysmal.

The Stars' ability/commitment to defending has been their biggest improvement by leaps and bounds.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:28 am

I think it's Radulov, and it's not even close.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:56 pm

Radulov, for making everyone around him better.
Thora Birch.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:11 pm

Hitch uses Radulov as his fixer. He's the MVP with Klingberg a close second.

I'm not giving Bishop credit for being ok. He's barely meeting expectations. He's an upgrade, but that's not praiseworthy given how low the bar was.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Jason

Postby Jason » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:02 pm

Stars stuff 24-28

. There are rumblings Dallas will look to sign Kari Lehtonen to a newer, lesser deal and UFA-to-be Dan Hamhuis has become a big part of what they do, but Nill said results will determine decisions. (Tyler Seguin’s next contract looms large, too.) If Dallas wanted to add, there’d be a lot of interest in Jason Dickinson, but forget that

. The Stars enter their break with John Klingberg leading all NHL defencemen in scoring.

“[Coach] Rick Wilson deserves a lot of credit for helping John play a more controlled game,” Nill said. “Pick your spot — you’re not going to win the game every shift. Wait for the right time to make that one move you’re going to make. He’s better than he gets credit for. If he played for a Canadian team or a northern U.S. team, more people would know him. He’s a well-rounded player, still scratching the surface. He’s playing, what, 23 minutes now? There’s the potential for more.”

What’s the biggest difference you’ve seen?

“Less is more. He makes the good five-foot pass instead of trying a 30-footer between three legs.”

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:02 pm

Elliotte Friedman wrote:24. Watching Dallas put Alexander Radulov with Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin against Edmonton was absolutely mesmerizing. They scored a couple of beautiful goals and dominated play.

Don’t know if Ken Hitchcock is going to stick with that, but it shows how the Stars can be a matchup nightmare, with different guys moving throughout the lineup. They are coming on. The shots for and against aren’t much different, but opponents say Dallas plays a “little slower” than 2016-17 and it’s helped. (They allowed 29.74 shots per game then and 29.98 now. But their overall ranking has improved from 12th-best to third-best, with only Boston and Carolina giving up fewer.)

“We are playing smarter without the puck,” GM Jim Nill said Monday. “We are in the right position, making sure we have people above the puck. Our message to them was that if we play this way, we will have the same chances, but we will give up less. We like our team, but this is a tough road. A real grind.”

25. When asked what he’d want to add if given a chance, Nill said he wished for “health” as much as anything. They hoped Marc Methot would get one game before the break, but feel he will be fine. Then there’s Martin Hanzal.

“He changes our team. He’s not the fastest, maybe not the most skilled, but better than you think. I talked to Shane Doan about it, how he plays the game. You can tell he was well-coached when he was a younger man,” Nill continued. “I like our depth. Ben Bishop has started to play very well. I like our back end, it’s underrated as a group. It’s coming, I can see it coming. Early in the season, the stats backed up that we were playing well, but if you’re not in a playoff position 40–50 games into the season, you know you’re missing something.”

Nill said two road trips gave him hope: 3–0 and 4–3 wins over Vegas and Chicago in November, and five out of eight points through New York, New Jersey and Philadelphia in December.

Have other GMs called and asked how you won in Vegas? Nill just laughed.

26. The Stars enter their break with John Klingberg leading all NHL defencemen in scoring.

“[Coach] Rick Wilson deserves a lot of credit for helping John play a more controlled game,” Nill said. “Pick your spot — you’re not going to win the game every shift. Wait for the right time to make that one move you’re going to make. He’s better than he gets credit for. If he played for a Canadian team or a northern U.S. team, more people would know him. He’s a well-rounded player, still scratching the surface. He’s playing, what, 23 minutes now? There’s the potential for more.”

What’s the biggest difference you’ve seen?

“Less is more. He makes the good five-foot pass instead of trying a 30-footer between three legs.”

27. There are rumblings Dallas will look to sign Kari Lehtonen to a newer, lesser deal and UFA-to-be Dan Hamhuis has become a big part of what they do, but Nill said results will determine decisions. (Tyler Seguin’s next contract looms large, too.) If Dallas wanted to add, there’d be a lot of interest in Jason Dickinson, but forget that.

“He’s in our plans long-term. He had hip surgery (after the 2015-16 season) that kept him out until the next December. I want him playing every night, and I want him playing lots. If he’s not going to play in an offensive role here, I’d rather have him (in the AHL).”

And the Stars “plan” on Valeri Nichushkin returning from the KHL next season. “We never looked at what happened as Dallas versus him. He was a young player, growing up and we told him going back might be the best thing for you. He’s played a lot, and might be on their Olympic team. We’ve had conversation and it appears we are heading to a return. He wants to come back.”

28. Finally with Nill: He’s a pretty calm guy — at least when talking on the phone. But I wondered what last season taught him, especially since it was one of the hardest for him since becoming an executive.

“I learned a lot about myself. All in a good way. I’ve been very lucky, almost always with good teams. It’s tough going through for the first time, but you have to be careful identifying what’s the reason. You have to be careful not to overreact. Have patience. I’d had opportunities for jobs earlier, but if I had taken them, I know now I’d have had a tougher time handling it.”

Are we talking about making rash moves that you regretted later?

“Yes. Reacting the wrong way or saying something at the wrong time. I may not have succeeded. The biggest change for me, is that when you become GM, there’s less hockey and more managing. I was lucky to be in Detroit with good people. Ken Holland. Scotty Bowman. The Ilitches, you see that part. I would have failed. I wouldn’t have managed the business the right way. I was used to scouting, finding good players. Now you’re not in that position. You hire people to scout, to figure out your cap. Your success is dependent on people you hire, putting them in right situations to be successful. If that makes sense.” Yes it does.

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:04 pm

Give it up for Rick Wilson...He’s a badass

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:52 pm

And Nill is spot on with his assessment of being a good manager.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:00 pm

One_Timer wrote:Give it up for Rick Wilson...He’s a badass

He absolutely is. But his responsibilities are the play of the defensemen and the penalty killing.

Hitch is the reason the entire team defends well now and he's also the one who brought Rick back.

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:51 pm

#JTONTFJTGM wrote:

He absolutely is. But his responsibilities are the play of the defensemen and the penalty killing.

Hitch is the reason the entire team defends well now and he's also the one who brought Rick back.

Can’t disagree. Hopefully, they come out of the break and continue the momentum.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:22 pm

One_Timer wrote:
#JTONTFJTGM wrote:

Can’t disagree. Hopefully, they come out of the break and continue the momentum.

ScubaSteve wrote:Meanwhile STL seems to be doing just fine without Hitch.

With the Blues blowing 2-0 and 3-2 leads in a 7-4 shellacking by the Panthers in St. Louis tonight an opportunity to climb into the top three in the Central Division (four points back with three games in hand) has arisen.

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:05 am

Hitch has done a lot for the team. They still have trouble playing a full 60 minutes, and sometimes are too lazy, but they overall look vastly more structured and disciplined. There’s less sense that they are going to fall apart if things don’t go quite as planned.

Watching Radulov is my favorite thing this season. There was so much talk about how he was just playing for a contract last year, but the dude just loves to play hockey. Watching him have fun (and his goal celebrations) is just awesome.

How the hell does playoff seeding work now? We’re 7th in the West, so are we in or out at the moment?

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:33 am

slaps wrote:How the hell does playoff seeding work now? We’re 7th in the West, so are we in or out at the moment?

The top three teams in each division automatically qualify for the playoffs with the wild card spots going to the two teams with the highest point totals from the remaining teams.

Tie-breaking procedure:

If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order: The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage). The greater number of games won, excluding games won in the Shootout. This figure is reflected in the ROW column.

The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.

The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season. NOTE: In standings a victory in a shootout counts as one goal for, while a shootout loss counts as one goal against.

The Stars are currently in the first wild card spot in the West. The only team that is currently behind them that could overtake them by winning their games in hand is their next opponent, the Avalanche, who are four points behind the Stars with two games in hand and even in regulation and overtime wins with 21.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:57 am

Yeah, when Hitch puts Radulov with Benn and Seguin, plus Klingberg and Lindell on D, it’s almost not fair. :). When is the last time we could say that?

Decent start, but a lot of hockey to go.

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:10 am

#JTONTFJTGM wrote:
slaps wrote:How the hell does playoff seeding work now? We’re 7th in the West, so are we in or out at the moment?

The top three teams in each division automatically qualify for the playoffs with the wild card spots going to the two teams with the highest point totals from the remaining teams.

Tie-breaking procedure:

If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order: The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage). The greater number of games won, excluding games won in the Shootout. This figure is reflected in the ROW column.

The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.

The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season. NOTE: In standings a victory in a shootout counts as one goal for, while a shootout loss counts as one goal against.

The Stars are currently in the first wild card spot in the West. The only team that is currently behind them that could overtake them by winning their games in hand is their next opponent, the Avalanche, who are four points behind the Stars with two games in hand and even in regulation and overtime wins with 21.

Why can't we have nice things in the NHL? What was wrong with the top eight teams in each conference are in, everyone else is out? Nothing. Not a damn thing.

Where are some clouds to yell at now?

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:36 am

#JTONTFJTGM wrote:

I have to eat crow on this one. Bringing Hitch/Wilson back was a good move.

Leonardo da Vinci

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:54 am

B Kat wrote:Yeah, when Hitch puts Radulov with Benn and Seguin, plus Klingberg and Lindell on D, it’s almost not fair. :). When is the last time we could say that?

Decent start, but a lot of hockey to go.

Not to mention the five-man unit of Faksa/Roussell/Pitlick/Hamhuis/Pateryn might be the best shutdown group in the NHL. Hitch will mix up all of his lines many times a game, but he's never touching this one.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:07 pm