2017-2018 Stars Season Thread

5minmajor

Re: 2017-2018 Stars Season Thread

Postby 5minmajor » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:03 pm

no you're not.
"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:28 pm

Troy McClure wrote:I think even losing out will result in no changes. Maybe an assistant coach.

Probably Stu. Fraser is untouchable, for some reason.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:38 pm

5minmajor wrote:no you're not.

Actually, I am. I work 60 hours per week in a science lab on top of classes and have very little free time as it is. My interest has waned over the last couple of years to the point at which I miss half the games as it is because I know they are going to lose.

If Nill isn't fired and comes out with this "I really like where we're at right now" nonsense again, I won't purchase NHL.tv and will not watch until they change things.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:41 pm

Minus an outlier here and there due to boredom, I held true to not watching any game that Lehtonen started this season.
Steven would text me updates during those games LOL.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:06 pm

Spezza is out at least two weeks with back trouble.

Not good when two of your top three centers have a history of back problems.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:14 pm

Also, Ritchie is back and will play because Hitch loves him.

Honka will be scratched in favor of either Methot or Heatherington.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:21 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Spezza is out at least two weeks with back trouble.

Not good when two of your top three centers have a history of back problems.

I mean this with all due respect because he was great for many years, but it is time for him to hang them up. The game has passed him by.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:32 pm

I can’t help but think the back trouble explains a lot of what we saw this season. I doubt this is something that just flared up a few days ago. He had at least one ugly incident earlier this season when he went hard into the boards.

I wonder if we’ll get the full story. Back problems are horrible, and he’s had nothing in his legs this season. The two have to be connected.

Maybe you’re right and he’s done. Maybe he comes back next season with his back in better shape and looks more like himself. Either way, Nill can’t enter next season with $12.25 million of his cap tied up in two centers with known back trouble who are aged 35 and 31.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:07 pm

Spezza has had back problems before. I'm pretty sure he had back surgery in Ottawa.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:32 pm

I remember Sens fans warning about it. He missed some time in Ottawa because of it.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:42 am

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:06 am

There should be concern with his overall performance. He's being paid like a top-end league superstar with a couple of Cups under his belt.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:35 pm

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas ... simple?f=r

"We had such great energy in the last four games and such great efforts throughout the hockey club, you feel like throughout the process that it is going to turn your way," coach Ken Hitchcock said. "What changes is the time of year."

Hitchcock said the problem with playing well and not getting rewarded is that the pressure is so high. Instead of focusing only inside on performance, the Stars now are forced to look at the standings and watch while opponents gather points. Instead of trusting inner confidence, now frustration and pressure become a factor.

"If we were playing like this and it was the middle of the season, we'd be very happy knowing that the wheel is going to turn, because it does," Hitchcock said. "But now, with the shortness of what is left in the season, it kind of magnifies everything. You don't want to take away the energy, enthusiasm and hard play that is going on right now, that has to be rewarded. But at the end of the day, we know we need wins."

Straight up *f-bomb* you, Hitch. A six-game losing streak at any time of year is abysmal. But now, this is the time of year when good teams start winning and using the pressure to do better. If the team can't do better when it matters, that's on the coaches and the team leadership.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:30 pm

slaps wrote:There should be concern with his overall performance. He's being paid like a top-end league superstar with a couple of Cups under his belt.

I looked it up and was shocked. Benn is on a downward trend when it comes to offensive production. Here's where he finished compared to the rest of the league: 1st, 2nd, 23rd, and 28th. This season, his cap hit is fifth highest.

Jason

Postby Jason » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:43 pm

slaps wrote:https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-stars/stars/2018/03/22/dallas-stars-chance-get-back-playoff-race-simple?f=r

"We had such great energy in the last four games and such great efforts throughout the hockey club, you feel like throughout the process that it is going to turn your way," coach Ken Hitchcock said. "What changes is the time of year."

Hitchcock said the problem with playing well and not getting rewarded is that the pressure is so high. Instead of focusing only inside on performance, the Stars now are forced to look at the standings and watch while opponents gather points. Instead of trusting inner confidence, now frustration and pressure become a factor.

"If we were playing like this and it was the middle of the season, we'd be very happy knowing that the wheel is going to turn, because it does," Hitchcock said. "But now, with the shortness of what is left in the season, it kind of magnifies everything. You don't want to take away the energy, enthusiasm and hard play that is going on right now, that has to be rewarded. But at the end of the day, we know we need wins."

Straight up *f-bomb* you, Hitch. A six-game losing streak at any time of year is abysmal. But now, this is the time of year when good teams start winning and using the pressure to do better. If the team can't do better when it matters, that's on the coaches and the team leadership.

It's all about that veteran presence.
Boston is relying a lot on younger players, they've had 8 or 9 rookies score their first NHL goal this season, then again they give those players a chance.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:05 pm

slaps wrote:https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-stars/stars/2018/03/22/dallas-stars-chance-get-back-playoff-race-simple?f=r

I'm not sure this older, carefree, always positive Hitch is what everyone signed up for. They were looking for some discipline coming out of Lindyball, but Hitch seems pretty content to ride this out as is instead of yelling or holding anybody accountable after losing this many games.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:25 pm

Yeah. Where is the Hitch who called Brett Hull out? Where is the Hitch who didn't give a *poo poo* that Benoit Hogue's family was attending the game and benched his ass anyway?

Hitch went soft.

Leonardo da Vinci

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:32 pm

Hitch attended seminars last spring about how to talk to millennials and it ruined him.

Jason

Postby Jason » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:14 pm

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:34 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Hitch attended seminars last spring about how to talk to millennials and it ruined him.

That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:03 am

This chart is worse than 1929.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:53 pm

That doesn't bode well for any of us who want significant change. MGMT can point to this graph and say, "see? We're just an injury or two away!"

However, I've noticed the public chatter about how Kari likes it here and having him as a competent back up has completely silenced.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:08 pm

Kari is a competent backup for a non-playoff team that is out of contention in November. If he plays any high-pressure games, he loses most of the time. I hope he is gone.

Leonardo da Vinci

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:49 pm

I'm not getting my hopes up. I 100% for sure knew that Game 7 against the Blues was the last time Kari would ever wear a Stars uniform.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:20 am

We've got a lotta guys knocking on the door down in Cedar Park. The Hintzs, McKenzies, Gurianovs. You can never have enough depth in this league.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:05 am

Makes you wonder if he knew Hanzal was about done and Spezza wasn't far behind when he chose not to add anything.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:38 am

With no cap room, who could he have added?
Thora Birch.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:42 am

He could have shut down Hanzal earlier (or not signed him). LTIR gives you a permitted overage on the cap, and since salaries are pro-rated, he should have been able to fit in someone with a comparable cap hit.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:43 am

BigAl wrote:With no cap room, who could he have added?

They had the cap room to add a player.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:00 am

slaps wrote:He could have shut down Hanzal earlier (or not signed him). LTIR gives you a permitted overage on the cap, and since salaries are pro-rated, he should have been able to fit in someone with a comparable cap hit.

I would agree with not signing him in the first place, but they did. And then whatever doctors they were using kept clearing him to play until after after the trade deadline. There was no way Nill could’ve been happy with the state of the team, but at that point his only option was to polish the turd as best he could.
Thora Birch.