2018 NHL Entry Draft

Knives Out

Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Postby Knives Out » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:19 pm

While teams typically look for the best player available in the draft, @MikeHeika says Dallas could use more depth at the center position. The Stars talked with two centers who might be available with the 13th pick.

D\

Do you know when it would have been nice to draft a centre? When Barzal was on the board. Oh you want a winger? Okay Connor is there too. Oh wait ... no we want a career AHLer Russian? Great Gurianov come on down.

:bigleb
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:20 pm

I thought this was pretty interesting (and funny in some cases).

Link to Article

Still, going into the combine, what most scouts know about most players is what’s in plain view on the ice and what can be summed up in a few lines on a two-page questionnaire that Central Scouting Service hands out to everyone in the incoming class.

With the help of a scout working anonymously, we’ve managed to get our grubby little hands on a few questionnaires completed by a few prospects, some heralded, some a lot less so, over the last few years. (Scroll down for a list of former prospect questionnaires).

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:17 pm

Barzal, part two?

https://theathletic.com/378575/2018/06/ ... nhl-draft/

Hello, Stars? Anyone home?

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:26 pm

He’s no Gurianov.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:01 am

slaps wrote:Barzal, part two?

https://theathletic.com/378575/2018/06/ ... nhl-draft/

Hello, Stars? Anyone home?

He might be available by the time we pick in the second round. That story was pretty rah-rah, but overall scouts aren't super impressed by him anymore. Still should be a solid #2 center someday, which isn't nothing.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:56 am

Has his stock fallen mostly from the injury, or was it something else?

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:45 am

I'm not sure? probably started with the injury, but his numbers don't fly off the page before or after that, either (his high school production was a fraction of, say, Riley Tufte's). He played on a loaded team, which can sometimes be good but maybe in this case not so much. He's only tenth in scoring on the US Juniors team, for example, way behind two guys (Wahlstrom and Farabee) who might actually still be on the board at #13 (but probably not Wahlstrom):

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/268432/jake-wise

He'll probably end up being a solid second line center in like 5 years. He might be worth trading Ritchie or someone for a late first (teams in later rounds might want a guy who can play now instead of five years down the road), and snagging him there.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:09 am

Good read on some draft prospects (plus some Gurianov shade-throwing):

https://www.defendingbigd.com/2018/6/14 ... irst-round

Long story short: there should be a buttload of guys available at #13 with ridiculously high ceilings. There will also be a buttload of "safe" picks with lower ceilings but higher floors. Should be interesting which direction Nill goes.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:11 am

It should be interesting to see what second tier goaltender he drafts there.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:17 am

Nill is probably trying to find the best player for the next GM to dump in a house cleaning trade.

"With the 13th pick in the 2018 NHL draft, the Dallas Stars select Pittsburgh's 2022 5th round draft pick."
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:20 am

One advantage to the Stars sucking is that pessimistic sarcasm is hilarious.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:42 pm

So I didn't pay one iota of attention to a single draft article during the season (for some reason, Bishopcoughcough I thought we were going to go pretty deep into the playoffs), but over the last few weeks I've read pretty much every single draft-related thing anyone anywhere has written.

The good news? There will be plenty of really intrguing picks at #13 with tremendous upsides.
The bad news? We still have the same guys making the decisions as previous drafts.

Here's a quick rundown of who to keep an eye on:

High Ceiling ("Riskier") Guys:
K'Andre Miller. Huge ass defender who's really fast and has a powerful shot. Basically the Black Oleksiak. Actually a converted forward, a la Big Buff. He projects to go around 20-25 but will probably make a lot of teams that passed him up look foolish. Has far more impressive advanced stats than some top-8 defenders this draft.

Gregori Denisenko. Pretty much the definition of Engimatic Russian Forward. Has comparable skills to the top three lottery picks, but his production --in the MHL, not even the KHL-- is pretty blah. This should sound alarmingly familiar. Lottery pick skillz, but 2nd round production, makes for an interesting debate. A real swing for the fences here.

Vitali Kravtsov. The polar opposite of Denisenko. His skillz are ok, not anywhere near Denisenko's level, but his production (KHL, not MHL) in the KHL playoffs was spectacular. So if both are available, which way do you go? I wouldn't put him in the Safe Picks category because he's (a) Russian and (b) you're going off a sample size of 11 points in 16 playoff games, vs 7 points in 35 regular season games. Still, Central Scouting says he's #3 in Europe, so there's that.

Dominik Bokk. Best puck-handling skillz in the entire draft, period. Like, his highlight reels are just ridiculous. Every scout says the same thing: insane puck handling ability... but little else. He scores a lot, but doesn't play defense, and gets knocked off the puck easily. Basically the German Mike Ribeiro. An interesting pick who will almost certainly be available at #13 because of his flaws, but he's got a shitton of upside too. You can teach defense... can't really teach insane puck skills.

Bode Wilde. Hugh d-man with deft skating skills who puts up a lot of points. Unfortunately, he also sucks at actual defense. Which doesn't make a lot of sense, as he's a tremendous skater with a long reach. Still, he presses up a lot and gets caught up ice, and isn't overly physical at standing up forwards as they cross the blue line. I'd pass on him, but Nill might not.

Ryan Merkley. Easily my favorite player in this draft. Easily the best playmaker in this draft, and probably a guy who will fall all the way to the 25-30, if not the second round altogether. He's basically the 2018 Josh Ho-Sang: immense talent combined with an immensely shitty attitude. He takes entire games off, pouts a lot, gets in arguments with refs, and utterly dominates when he feels like it. There's not been a player like him in a while. I'd take him just for the entertainment value alone.

Low-Floor "Safer" Picks:

Joel Farabee. NHL captain material, puts up huge point totals, plays 200-feet, great 'intangibles', fantastic speed, and all that other stuff that GMs love. However! In terms of flashy talent, Farabee has none. He's also pretty small. So basically he's Ground Zero for the old Moneyball debate on Production vs. Talent. Like Denisenov, but in the opposite direction. Scouts have him ranked everywhere from 5th overall to 27th. The 27th-guy didn't think he would hold up against vastly bigger and more talented NHL players, but Farabee's outproduced three much more highly skilled lottery-pick players on his own team, so...

Filip Hallander. Swedish guy who plays like a wrecking ball, running goalies, laying down roots in front of the net, crashing in the corners, making space for teammates. Yet, strangely, he has next to zero penalty minutes. So, kindof a mix between PAtrick Hornqvist and Jere Lehtinen. He might be gone by #13 (GMs love that kind of player), but there's a real good possibility he'll still be there.

Isac Lundestrom. Big, older (i.e. , NHL-readier) Swedish forward who is really good at shutting down enemy forwards. He'll probably go on to a long NHL career as a checking line center... and there's value in that... but doesn't project to be much more than that. Ironically, he's probably exactly the guy a team picking in the top 10 actually needs.

Barzal "This Guy Won't Be There At #13, But If He Is..." Picks:
Evan Bouchard. This guy is like the second coming of Al McInnis. Launched almost 300 shots on net as a d-man, and 25 went in (in 67 games!). Also one of the smoothest passers in the draft, with great vision. He might drop, tho, because there are a lot of flashier offensive d-men in this draft, and some teams need forwards more badly, and others need centers, of which there are surprisingly few in this year's class. So he will probably go like 8th. But if not...

Joe Veleno. Possibly the best pure center in the draft, a guy with exceptional skills in all areas, yet overall most scouts have him in the 8-12 range. So there's a good chance he'll still be available at #13. He was so good as a 15 year old that he was given Exceptional Status by the QMJHL. From what I can read, the only weakness is his "hunger" or "drive," esp. when it comes to driving to the net. Which is maybe why he's not a top-5 pick.

Jesperi Kotkaniemi. This guy is basically this year's Heiskanen. At the beginning of the year he was a top-20 guy with little flash. But then over the course of the year, he improves his stock to top-15, maybe. Then he absolutely slays in a couple of U18 international tournaments, and suddenly scouts are putting him top-10 or maybe even top-5 (since he can play center). His skating sucks, and he played winger this past year, but other than that he seems like the real deal, and is allegedly "impossible to defend against." I doubt he'll be available after the hype but hey...

Ty Smith. Small, but extremely productive offensive d-man. His advanced stats are the best of any non-Dahlin d-man, hands down. But he went pointless in some late international tournaments, which really tanked his stock, a la the opposite of Heiskanen. Also plays the exact same position and side as our current high-scoring d-men, so there's that.

Barrett Hayton. Prototypical two-way forward with high hockey IQ (another thing GMs love), but he played on a totally stacked minor team so it's hard to gauge exactly how good he is. There's no doubt he's got the goods to be a Justin Williams-type third line center who can score in bunches. He might go in the top ten but again will likely still be there at #13. Five years ago there's no question we would've drafted this kid, but with a lot of Faksa/Dicksinon/Hintz type guys already in the system, Nill may pass on him and swing for the fences (or not.. who the *f-bomb* knows?)

I'm probably forgetting somebody important, but overall these are the names to watch, unless we trade up or down. My best guess is that a large number of these guys will still be available at #13, maybe even 1-2 from that last category.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:58 pm

Most mock drafts seem to have the Stars taking Veleno. I’d be good with that. Of course, since it’s the Stars, they’ll take some Russian scrub that they could have had in the 3rd round.

If Merkley falls close to our 2nd round pick, Nill should try and move up to grab him.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:21 pm

Does anyone want to track the Canadian media people who fly into town for the draft and freak out about the fact no one here and no media outlet here gives a *poo poo*?
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

5minmajor

Postby 5minmajor » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:36 pm

Why bother? I'm sure the government is tracking the evil Canadians.
"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:43 pm

Justin Bourne has a really interesting piece on what it means to be selected in the draft versus passed over:

https://theathletic.com/400688/2018/06/ ... nhl-draft/

My favorite line:

As an undrafted player myself – you can still smell that stink, can’t you? – I spent my summer’s training with a good friend. We drew up our own workout plans, we tried to motivate one another, and we tried to shore up our weaknesses. Did we train properly? Um … maybe? I have no idea, but it’s maybe worth noting I’m now a writer.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:56 pm

I read that article yesterday and laughed at that section.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:32 pm

Mike Modano is around wearing his Stars gear?

Did I miss the news about reconciliation with him? I thought he was a Coyote dude now or something.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:50 pm

The booing thing would be funny if it was solely coming from the team tables. But this is stupid.

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:51 pm

who are the booing *poo poo* heads?

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:54 pm

So dumb

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:03 pm

The booing Bettman thing got old in 2001.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:06 pm

I thought we were booing Humboldt.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:07 pm

Oh, well that's acceptable then.

Leonardo da Vinci

Jason

Postby Jason » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:17 pm

Zadina is dropping. Of course no chance the Stars will get him

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:37 pm

I guess all of that trade talk was BS. This is boring. Glad I didn’t go.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:38 pm

I hope Wahlstrom falls to us. That would be awesome.

Dat1guy

Postby Dat1guy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:51 pm

slaps wrote:I hope Wahlstrom falls to us. That would be awesome.

So much for that.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:55 pm

Ah well. Veleno would be a good pick, and I’m surprised he fell to the Stars.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:58 pm

I just realized BIll Oellerman is announcing in the arena.

Leonardo da Vinci