2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

SaintAngerBH

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:52 pm

That's stupid. Surely a cup contender needs some veteran depth.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

atticus ross

Postby atticus ross » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:21 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:That's stupid. Surely a cup contender needs some veteran depth.

I'm surprised no one has gone after Jagr. I think we should sign him or at the very least trade back for Eakin.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:02 pm

:nocountry
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:47 am

Doan has sucked ass for at least 5 years.

Iginla will basically reach Doan levels if he ends up playing this season.

Jagr being unsigned is a bit surprising though.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:04 pm

Vanek to the Canucks.
He was good last season, unlike Doan and Iginla.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:14 pm

Red Wings will be disappointed. They really liked him, but are up against the cap.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:06 am

They got rid of him at the deadline, so not sure if he would have returned anyways as that rarely happens even though it should.

Oh jeez - teams who are right up against the cap generally tend to have a more impressive line-up than what the Red Wings are running with. A lot of bloated contracts on that roster. Most of them really.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:42 am

I've read a lot that the Wings would have liked to resign him, and that he liked it here. But yes, the Wings lineup and salaries are awful.

slaps

Postby slaps » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:26 pm

Bruins having trouble re-signing Pasternak, as he thinks he's worth Draisaitl money. It's kind of fun to realize that Chiarelli is responsible for both the Bruins current crappy contracts AND the one to which the Bruins are going to have to sign Pasternak.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:56 pm

Elliote Friedman wrote:From now on, a failed offside challenge will result in a two-minute penalty against the club asking for the review.

Incorrect goaltender interference reviews stay the same — the loss of your timeout.

Teams are no longer able to call timeout after icing the puck. The other club can still do so if it wishes, but tired defenders won’t be able to ask for the extra rest.

Previously, under Rule 80.4, a team on the power play that was guilty of playing the puck after a high stick saw the ensuing faceoff come deep into their own zone. Now, the team will gain territory (assuming the infraction is in the offensive end). Instead of going all the way down the ice, the faceoff will be in the neutral zone, close to the defending team’s blue line.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:01 pm

Interesting. Not sure I like that. So you get scored on, challenge, lose the challenge, and are now on the penalty kill. So instead of trying to fix the problems with the offside challenge system, we're trying to disincentivize teams from making the challenge in the first place.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:08 pm

So... is that better? I'm not sure. It didn't seem like that big a deal.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:05 pm

It was annoying when coaches were using the offside challenge hail Mary when scored on later in games. They were needlessly stopping down games trying to get a goal turned over on a technicality.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:17 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Interesting. Not sure I like that. So you get scored on, challenge, lose the challenge, and are now on the penalty kill. So instead of trying to fix the problems with the offside challenge system, we're trying to disincentivize teams from making the challenge in the first place.

I'm with you. It's stupid.

I like the inability to call timeouts upon icing the puck, though.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:17 pm

Troy McClure wrote:It was annoying when coaches were using the offside challenge hail Mary when scored on later in games. They were needlessly stopping down games trying to get a goal turned over on a technicality.

True. But, if the player is technically offsides, isn't the correct call to be no goal? Why is it bad to get the call right and good to get the call wrong?

Leonardo da Vinci

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:29 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:It was annoying when coaches were using the offside challenge hail Mary when scored on later in games. They were needlessly stopping down games trying to get a goal turned over on a technicality.

True. But, if the player is technically offsides, isn't the correct call to be no goal? Why is it bad to get the call right and good to get the call wrong?

Because it is selective enforcement. Offsides can be wrong throughout a game, but the challenge only works to correct it if a goal is scored. If the human eye is just fine for the natural flow of the game, why apply a different standard after goals are scored?
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:42 pm

Can we go back to penalties are a full two minutes, regardless if the team on the power play scores? That would be kind of awesome.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:01 pm

slaps wrote:Can we go back to penalties are a full two minutes, regardless if the team on the power play scores? That would be kind of awesome.

I always thought that was more interesting than enforcing icing on PKers.

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:05 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
slaps wrote:Can we go back to penalties are a full two minutes, regardless if the team on the power play scores? That would be kind of awesome.

I think it's a great idea. It would reward really good special teams coaching, so we'd be screwed, but otherwise I think it's a good incentive to not take penalties. I think it was the Canadiens that killed it because they were too good at scoring goals.

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:08 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
SaintAngerBH wrote:

Because it is selective enforcement. Offsides can be wrong throughout a game, but the challenge only works to correct it if a goal is scored. If the human eye is just fine for the natural flow of the game, why apply a different standard after goals are scored?

The easy solution is a hard cap on the time between the offside and the goal. Anything more than 5-7 seconds and it doesn't matter if the play was initially offsides, enough time has passed where the benefit to the team that scored is negligible from the offsides.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:33 pm

slaps wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:
SaintAngerBH wrote:

The easy solution is a hard cap on the time between the offside and the goal. Anything more than 5-7 seconds and it doesn't matter if the play was initially offsides, enough time has passed where the benefit to the team that scored is negligible from the offsides.

I think this is a reasonable solution. I don't like what's proposed at all.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:16 am

I like the idea of the challenge, but yeah it got stupid how it was used. So the hard cap sounds reasonable to me. Which means it will never happen.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:53 pm

wonko80 wrote:I like the idea of the challenge, but yeah it got stupid how it was used.

This. The hovering foot ones especially.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:54 pm

slaps wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:

I think it's a great idea. It would reward really good special teams coaching, so we'd be screwed, but otherwise I think it's a good incentive to not take penalties. I think it was the Canadiens that killed it because they were too good at scoring goals.

You both say that but think about how many *poo poo* calls the refs make. You know how frustrating that would be?
In this day and age being scored on once during the PK is punishment enough.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:58 pm

So George Parros of all people is the new head of the NHL's Department of Player Safety.
Really? That dumb useless CTE riddled goon is going to be cracking down on shenanigans? K ...

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:28 pm

I like it. It's like when criminals work for the NSA.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:02 pm

LOL Michel Therrien is going to scout for the Habs this season.

And Ryan Ellis is out 4 to 6 months. Ouch for the Preds.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:37 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/08/sports/hockey/nhl-chronic-traumatic-encephalopathy-cte-juliet-macur.html

"The science regarding C.T.E., including on the asserted 'link' to concussions that you reference, remains nascent, particularly with respect to what causes C.T.E. and whether it can be diagnosed by specific clinical symptoms," Bettman wrote.

He added: "The relationship between concussions and the asserted clinical symptoms of C.T.E. remains unknown."

As a biochemist studying Alzheimer's, I have a serious problem with this *poo poo*.

Leonardo da Vinci

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:57 am

From the best documentary ever made:

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:49 am

Yeah. That's about right. lol

Leonardo da Vinci