2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 42355
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Tue May 30, 2017 2:03 pm

Why wouldn't you, though? He's actually kind of awesome.

User avatar
#JTONTFJTGM
Posts: 718
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:31 am

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Tue May 30, 2017 2:17 pm

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:Why wouldn't you, though? He's actually kind of awesome.


User avatar
SaintAngerBH
Posts: 9564
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue May 30, 2017 4:14 pm

slaps wrote:St. Anger hates America.


Allahu Akbar
:heisen
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 12690
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby ToddM » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:08 am

Time for your Thursday Morning Hard-on:

In terms of deals I am somewhat confident in, I’ve got two. The first is Dallas, where the Stars could offer Cody Eakin (which sends salary and some talent back to Washington), plus a first-rounder and a second-rounder in 2017 (the Stars have two first-rounders this year; they would send Anaheim’s pick, not their own at No. 3). The money will work, especially because we know they’re getting rid of at least one goalie, and Dallas is a win-now team. Washington gets some nice picks to replenish the coffers, plus a player who can contribute right now in Eakin.


http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/artic ... -right-now

User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 42355
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:12 am

DO NOT TEASE ME, WHORE.

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 34312
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:19 am

For Ovechkin? There's no way that's enough to get him. Need to throw Kari into the deal as well.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

User avatar
B Kat
Posts: 13694
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:36 pm

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby B Kat » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:24 am

Pass

User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 42355
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:28 am

There's just no way to replace the leadership of Cody Eakin, is there?

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 12690
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby ToddM » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:41 am

I'm wary of trading that #29 pick. What if it turns into another Ovechkin? You know we've always wanted one of those!

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 40573
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:48 am

ToddM wrote:Time for your Thursday Morning Hard-on:

In terms of deals I am somewhat confident in, I’ve got two. The first is Dallas, where the Stars could offer Cody Eakin (which sends salary and some talent back to Washington), plus a first-rounder and a second-rounder in 2017 (the Stars have two first-rounders this year; they would send Anaheim’s pick, not their own at No. 3). The money will work, especially because we know they’re getting rid of at least one goalie, and Dallas is a win-now team. Washington gets some nice picks to replenish the coffers, plus a player who can contribute right now in Eakin.


http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/artic ... -right-now


Ovechkin alone is worth a 5% boost to the PP. The Capitals are always near the top of the league.

Now that this tease is out there, Nill has to make it happen.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 42355
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:55 am

Plus, he's a much better goaltender than Kari Lehtonen.

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 30638
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby slaps » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:55 am

Just what we need, an aging, half-broken power forward with a near-$10MM cap hit, especially with Seguin coming due for a near $9MM cap hit.

User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 42355
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:06 am

Didn't he play all 82 games and finish with 33 goals?

User avatar
wonko80
Posts: 13683
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: Frisco

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby wonko80 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:06 am

We can throw Nischuskin into the deal too!

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 12690
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby ToddM » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:30 am

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:Didn't he play all 82 games and finish with 33 goals?


Yep. Led the league in PP goals, again. Worst year of his entire career.

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 30638
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby slaps » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:38 am

And his playing style doesn't lend itself to longevity. So will he bounce back, or is this a natural decline due to playing style and age?

User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 42355
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:48 am

The real concern is whether he continues to decline, I'd say. Even staying at the present level might be worth the money. Perhaps. Although his final game of the playoffs was mind bottling. He had a huge turnover for what appeared to be no good reason.

But come on. Ovechkin man. Ovechkin.

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 40573
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:11 am

We did find out he was playing through a knee injury. No one made a big deal of it because he is Russian. If he was a good Canadian boy, he'd have been celebrated as a hero for playing on one leg.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 42355
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:31 am

If there's one thing it seems like Russians would be innately good at, it's dealing with suffering.

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 34312
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:32 am

Image

As much as I'd be for it, I can't imagine this player getting along real well with Hitch.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 30638
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby slaps » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:38 am

Troy McClure wrote:We did find out he was playing through a knee injury. No one made a big deal of it because he is Russian. If he was a good Canadian boy, he'd have been celebrated as a hero for playing on one leg.


Russian Machine never breaks.

User avatar
SaintAngerBH
Posts: 9564
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:23 pm

slaps wrote:Just what we need, an aging, half-broken power forward with a near-$10MM cap hit, especially with Seguin coming due for a near $9MM cap hit.


Hey. Bill Guerin worked out great. Why not try it again?

:Giggle:
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
#JTONTFJTGM
Posts: 718
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:31 am

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:27 pm

slaps wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:We did find out he was playing through a knee injury. No one made a big deal of it because he is Russian. If he was a good Canadian boy, he'd have been celebrated as a hero for playing on one leg.

Russian Machine never breaks.


User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 42355
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:39 pm

:FAP

User avatar
Knives Out
Posts: 16957
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 pm
Location: TO via MTL

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby Knives Out » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:52 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Image

As much as I'd be for it, I can't imagine this player getting along real well with Hitch.

Good lord that is perfect.
Image

ScubaSteve wrote:Cody is the Glass Fatso we need. Kari is the Glass Fatso we deserve.

User avatar
Knives Out
Posts: 16957
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 pm
Location: TO via MTL

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby Knives Out » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:55 pm

The Vancouver Canucks have received the Columbus Blue Jackets' second-round pick in next month's entry draft as compensation for the Blue Jackets hiring John Tortorella.
Image

ScubaSteve wrote:Cody is the Glass Fatso we need. Kari is the Glass Fatso we deserve.

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 30638
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby slaps » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:58 pm

It's such bullshit that the Canucks get compensation for the Jackets hiring a guy the Canucks fired.

User avatar
Knives Out
Posts: 16957
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 pm
Location: TO via MTL

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby Knives Out » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:12 pm

Did y'all know that the Flames' goaltending coach (Jordan Sigalet) only played 43 seconds in the NHL and also has MS?
Makes a lot of sense now.
Image

ScubaSteve wrote:Cody is the Glass Fatso we need. Kari is the Glass Fatso we deserve.

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 34312
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:13 pm

Knives Out wrote:Did y'all know that the Flames' goaltending coach (Jordan Sigalet) only played 43 seconds in the NHL and also has MS?
Makes a lot of sense now.


Good thing he wasn't playing against the Stars, he would have shut us out.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 42355
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:15 pm

It should be fairly obvious at this point that playing hockey causes MS. Mystery solved.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest