#JTONTFJTGM

Re: Ken Hitchcock hired to coach the Stars

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:18 pm

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:48 pm

Some of the comments on this story have been pretty lulz:

"With all the moving around this guy does, you'd think he'd lose some weight?"

"Wes, didn't you see him fall down some stairs?

-Yeah at the Valley Ranch Stars Center. All the king's horses and all the king's men showed up..."

" He's not gonna be better than Lehtonen or Niemi. He takes more place in the net but I'm not sure about his flexibility."

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:49 pm

Seguin played defensive hockey in Boston just fine.

I guess it takes a bona fide hockey genius to realize Seguin should be our #1 center. Good for Hitch. Not every coach would've realized that. Some of them would prefer a #1C who got outscored by Curtis McKenzie. I can already see a bump in the points standings.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:50 pm

wonko80 wrote:I actually think Seguin wants to and would probably put in the work, it's just that no one did. I've heard him on BaD radio say he wanted to kill penalties and be out there in the final two minutes.

And Seguin probably wants to get back to what he saw in Boston with a team making deep playoff runs.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:53 pm

ToddM wrote:Seguin played defensive hockey in Boston just fine.

I guess it takes a bona fide hockey genius to realize Seguin should be our #1 center. Good for Hitch. Not every coach would've realized that. Some of them would prefer a #1C who got outscored by Curtis McKenzie. I can already see a bump in the points standings.

Listening to Hitch, it's easy to get the feeling Hitch thinks Ruff did a terrible job this season. There were some pointed criticisms. Hitch wasn't being mean, but his honest answers about what he wants to change were more direct than we usually get from a new coach.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:49 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Listening to Hitch, it's easy to get the feeling Hitch thinks Ruff did a terrible job this season. There were some pointed criticisms. Hitch wasn't being mean, but his honest answers about what he wants to change were more direct than we usually get from a new coach.

I've said this a few times, but that is actually what I enjoyed most about Hitch. He's very good when being interviewed. And whether you ultimately buy into it or not, you wind up getting a great deal of insight into what he was thinking and what his strategy was in various games. Except in the playoffs where he becomes generic.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:55 pm

Yeah. He says all the right things, for sure. And I don't think in four years I ever heard Ruff talk about the game in such technical terms as what Hitch was rattling off in his press conference today.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:46 pm

Here's to hoping that Hitch and Shattenkirk had a great relationship ...

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:48 pm

I can picture Jamie and Tyler being dragged to one of those Civil War reenactments.
Mouth wide open storing cannonballs.
Flip flops and hitting each other in the nuts with muskets.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:51 pm

Knives Out wrote:I can picture Jamie and Tyler being dragged to one of those Civil War reenactments.
Mouth wide open storing cannonballs.
Flip flops and hitting each other in the nuts with muskets.

And Hitch sitting on the ground eating a double whopper with cheese.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Jason

Postby Jason » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:00 pm

#JTONTFJTGM wrote:

Good, hopefully that puts a end to Seguin on the wing at even strength.

"He's got a game plan set, and he's really well-prepared already," said Benn. "I had a great chat with him yesterday for about an hour and a half. He's got a game plan, and it's up to us as players to execute it. It's a very detailed and structured game plan, and I'm looking forward to playing for him."

"I've had a chance to play for Hitch a couple of times internationally," said Spezza. "His presence and attention to detail is second to none, so as a player, that's both exciting and knowing that he's going to demand a lot out of you, but I think it shows a commitment from the organization to want to win now."

Quotable Hitch
On the Stars style of play: "To me, Dallas Stars hockey is reckless energy with proper positional play, and I'll bring that forward. But I don't ever want to lose that reckless energy that they had last year."

Jason

Postby Jason » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:03 pm

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:11 pm

I guess since this is a real thing, it could be a lot worse. There are far worse re-tread options available.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:34 pm

I'm coming into the Acceptance Stage.

But I still want Keefe as an assistant, like Yeo, to take charge when Hitch retires/gets canned.

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:33 pm

I'll be happy so long as Fraser gets canned.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:10 pm

ToddM wrote:I'm coming into the Acceptance Stage.

Same. He's seducing me with his velvet tongue. It definitely ain't his looks.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:10 am

Acceptance stage as well.

Wasn't too enthused, but I think people are grossly underestimating how good of a coach Hitchcock actually is, but on the other hand I'm afraid to plug his greatness just in case the Stars still suck next season.

Still... one last time for the record... here are the things I can spin.

The Stars were actually at the tops of the NHL in scoring and PP every season under Hitchcock. The reason they were "boring" is other teams couldn't actually do *poo poo* against them. That's kinda what you want, though. I actually didn't think they were all that boring myself because we were dominating the *poo poo* out of every other NHL team. There were like 5 games a season when I actually thought we were outplayed. I can't actually remember a time following the Stars when I felt that since that point.

I will also say he has two other attributes I like in a coach:

1) Really really good at figuring out how to use talent in ways on one had yet thought of. I mean really good at this.
2) Really really good at getting players to see the big picture.

He's a total nerd though. I don't think he ever even played hockey. I think eventually the guys start to roll their eyes. But I digress.

When Hitch was hired, the Stars were projected to go about 10th seed. They had finished in last place in the previous season. They had really not all that much talent. They finished in the 1st spot the next season. Admittedly, regular season accomplishment. That's the knock on Hitch, right? But you have to understand. He had the team way OVERperforming for their talent level. They lost in the playoffs early. Not clear whether they really were that good. But... the team had .. um... *poo poo*. I can barely name some of the lines.
(and to be honest, I don't think the Blues are nearly as talented as people think either.)

When they finally did start to add the talent: Zubov, Nieuwendyk ,Hull, Belfour... all they did was win the Stanley Cup.

Just saying.

I don't think he's as bad as you think.

And at least with Hitch my entertainment value goes way up. I will tune in to listen to his post game analyses. They are the best. Nerdy hockey analysis. I enjoy that.

This last frank talk from him was not the first time he's slammed our coaching. He thinks he can get more out of the talent we have. At this point, I will try it. We gave up about 15 quality chances a game. It's ridiculous. Ludwig was on the radio today saying he thinks a problem is that he doesn't think the Stars really have a system to fall back on when the Stars are struggling or hurt. I agree. That's an indictment of the coaching.
Last edited by The Frugal Gourmet on Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eskimo Spy
Site Admin

Postby Eskimo Spy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:15 am

I'm actually on board with his hiring.
May God protect you from his followers.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:31 am

Hitch's biggest weakness his first swim through here was his complete inability to work with younger players. The only ones he ever trusted were Langenbrunner and Lehtinen. Every other young player either got demoted or traded away.

I haven't paid enough attention to his rosters in the years since, but I can't imagine he still has the same hang up. The cap doesn't allow it. Every coach is going to have several entry level contracts on the roster at any given time.

I'd love to know what Hitch thinks of the group of young defenders. I think they almost all suck beyond belief, but I'm only able to go by watching them play wild ass hockey where no one ever seemed to trust the other guys to be where they should have been. Does Hitch look at their individual play and see some guys he can work with? I sure hope so.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:22 am

Troy McClure wrote:Hitch's biggest weakness his first swim through here was his complete inability to work with younger players. The only ones he ever trusted were Langenbrunner and Lehtinen. Every other young player either got demoted or traded away.

That's because the other young players included Jason Botterill, Juha Lind, Patrick Cote (now a felon), Blake Sloan, and Jon Sim.

Not exactly a bunch of budding superstars there.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:19 am

SaintAngerBH wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:Hitch's biggest weakness his first swim through here was his complete inability to work with younger players. The only ones he ever trusted were Langenbrunner and Lehtinen. Every other young player either got demoted or traded away.

That's because the other young players included Jason Botterill, Juha Lind, Patrick Cote (now a felon), Blake Sloan, and Jon Sim.

Not exactly a bunch of budding superstars there.

Sounds about as deep as our current prospect pool.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:52 am

Troy McClure wrote:I'd love to know what Hitch thinks of the group of young defenders. I think they almost all suck beyond belief, but I'm only able to go by watching them play wild ass hockey where no one ever seemed to trust the other guys to be where they should have been. Does Hitch look at their individual play and see some guys he can work with? I sure hope so.

He may not really be able to evaluate it fully until he implements some sort of system. Looking at the tapes will only show him a bunch of guys skating around with no idea what to do. I swear Patrick must have been giving them opposite instructions every other game. You just had to watch Oleksiak or Johns have a great game then completely suck and look out of place the next game.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:53 am

Johns obviously has the ability to be a really good defenseman - he showed it in the first several games he played. Oleksiak might be a serviceable defenseman with some proper coaching. Whatever Patrick was doing, it wasn't working. Maybe Hitchcock can bring in a good defensive coach and a good special teams coach and at least bring the young defensemen up to the "average NHL'er" level.

The more I think about the jokes about turning Seguin into Modano 2.0, the less that bothers me. If Seguin goes from scoring 98 points a season to 90 points, but becomes more like Bergeron with two-way play, is that really such a loss? It'll be interesting to see what happens.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:58 am

I'm more worried about him picking up Modano's attitude. I hope we don't actually hire Modano to interact directly with any of the players.

Leonardo da Vinci

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:59 am

Also, I think this is actually a ploy by Modano and Hitch to protect Modano's scoring records. lol

Leonardo da Vinci

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:13 am

slaps wrote:The more I think about the jokes about turning Seguin into Modano 2.0, the less that bothers me. If Seguin goes from scoring 98 points a season to 90 points, but becomes more like Bergeron with two-way play, is that really such a loss? It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Seguin would be better off trying to become Yzerman 2.0. While Modano wasn't super physical, he did at least use his size and reach very well to win puck battles.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:16 am

I think Seguin should become Gretzky 2.0, but better.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:15 am

Let's just edit his numbers in the player editor to be all 99.

Leonardo da Vinci

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:49 am

I apparently make a drunken stream of consciousness post about Ken Hitchcock last night, but I'll let it stand. Some of that appears to make sense.

atticus ross

Postby atticus ross » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:08 pm

slaps wrote:I'll be happy so long as Fraser gets canned.

This.