2017 NHL Draft

ScubaSteve

Re: 2017 NHL Draft

Postby ScubaSteve » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:31 pm

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-hockey- ... -campbell/

Having said that, Jack Campbell is one goalie to defy my thinking with respect to the difficulty in projecting goalie prospects. While I have him ranked 12th , I would not be surprised to see him drafted even as high as 4th by a team that wants and needs a true franchise netminder {cough, Tampa Bay Lightning, cough}.

Team USA (Men’s Team) looks to be in good shape well into the foreseeable future. I see incumbent Ryan Miller someday handing the reins over to Campbell.

Yes – he is that good.

He is technically very sound combing with his physical stature and athleticism, he encompasses perhaps a perfect blend of goalie attributes for a prospect. His performance at the recent scouting combine was insane. Not only was he the top performing goalie, but had one of the best performances overall.

What truly sets him apart is his mental makeup – he is extraordinarily confident and cool under pressure. He has proved it in big game after big game on the world stage.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:11 am

ScubaSteve wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:The Stars have missed the playoffs in 7 of 9 seasons. Ugh.

Just making sure this doesn't get last post of the page lost.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:29 am

Word is that it was the Senators who were looking to take Oettinger, hence the trade up.
Makes sense since Lehner is gone, Hammond's a bust, Condon is a career back-up, and Anderson is on the decline (we can't expect Nicole to be sick every season for motivation).

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:48 am

ScubaSteve wrote:http://thehockeywriters.com/the-hockey-spy%E2%80%99s-2010-nhl-entry-draft-preview-%E2%80%93-jack-campbell/

Having said that, Jack Campbell is one goalie to defy my thinking with respect to the difficulty in projecting goalie prospects. While I have him ranked 12th , I would not be surprised to see him drafted even as high as 4th by a team that wants and needs a true franchise netminder {cough, Tampa Bay Lightning, cough}.

Team USA (Men’s Team) looks to be in good shape well into the foreseeable future. I see incumbent Ryan Miller someday handing the reins over to Campbell.

Yes – he is that good.

He is technically very sound combing with his physical stature and athleticism, he encompasses perhaps a perfect blend of goalie attributes for a prospect. His performance at the recent scouting combine was insane. Not only was he the top performing goalie, but had one of the best performances overall.

What truly sets him apart is his mental makeup – he is extraordinarily confident and cool under pressure. He has proved it in big game after big game on the world stage.

Campbell was friggin awesome in his first year away from Mike Valley. AHL All-Star, .934 save pct and 1.70 GAA in the playoffs.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:58 am

This was a good take from HF:

Heiskanen Im super thrill!!! but to move up 3 spot to draft Ointment the goalie at 26!? lol hahaha....what a joke.

1. You drafted Jack Campell and he failed big time at 11th and now you are picking Ointment to be his successor.

2. Kari Lehtonen drafted 2nd overall and guess what he have been splitting time with Niemi the past 2 years and he is undrafted.

3. Your new starting goaltender who you just traded for and gave a big contract to was drafted in the 3rd round.

So the history (Campell) the present ( Lehtonen and Niemi) and the future (Bishop) is there for you to learn and still you picked Ointment at 26th lol. I bet anyone that Colton Point we drafted last year will be the starting goaltender for us down the road and not Ointment.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:38 am

Just what we need at the goalie position, Ointment.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:04 am

Jason Robertson at #39. Our draft keeps getting better.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:08 am

The goalie thing doesn't piss me off as much as I thought it would. They knew the player they wanted and they made sure they got him. That's all I ask for in a draft. It's surprising how many teams can't even do that.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:22 am

Plus, Oettinger is easily the best goalie prospect the NHL has seen in years. And we used our "spare" pick on him.

In related news, Robertson really could be amazing. He's a dominant scorer who scored almost a quarter of his teams' goals last season (the equivalent of Seguin putting up 85 goals for us), is positionally smart and a classic drive-the-net power forward. He just lacks acceleration:

https://thebloggerstribune.com/2017/03/ ... robertson/

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:03 pm

Knives Out wrote:This was a good take from HF:

Heiskanen Im super thrill!!! but to move up 3 spot to draft Ointment the goalie at 26!? lol hahaha....what a joke.

1. You drafted Jack Campell and he failed big time at 11th and now you are picking Ointment to be his successor.

2. Kari Lehtonen drafted 2nd overall and guess what he have been splitting time with Niemi the past 2 years and he is undrafted.

3. Your new starting goaltender who you just traded for and gave a big contract to was drafted in the 3rd round.

So the history (Campell) the present ( Lehtonen and Niemi) and the future (Bishop) is there for you to learn and still you picked Ointment at 26th lol. I bet anyone that Colton Point we drafted last year will be the starting goaltender for us down the road and not Ointment.

That poster's syntax is very similar to Walzy.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:21 pm

"RIP"

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:23 pm

ToddM wrote:In related news, Robertson really could be amazing. He's a dominant scorer who scored almost a quarter of his teams' goals last season (the equivalent of Seguin putting up 85 goals for us), is positionally smart and a classic drive-the-net power forward. He just lacks acceleration:

https://thebloggerstribune.com/2017/03/ ... robertson/

Just lacking acceleration is a big thing in the NHL. Probably why he made it to the second round.

Jason

Postby Jason » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:36 pm

8. Jason Robertson - Forward - Kingston Frontenacs

As the year went on, Robertson just kept getting better, and better. The Frontenacs were far from an offensive juggernaut, but Robertson was one of the league's premier performers in the second half of the year and the playoffs. In his final 25 games of the year (including the playoffs), he had 18 goals and 27 assists for 45 points or very nearly two points per game. Overall on the year, if you combine the regular season and playoffs, Robertson was in on nearly 48% of his teams goals this year. That's just insane. Even with the top defensive players of the opposition keying in on him, he managed to remain consistently productive. Robertson is extremely difficult to separate from the puck and that's one of the things that makes him so effective. He's aggressive in driving the net and despite lacking elite speed or acceleration, manages to find his way there with, and without the puck. He's also very intelligent. The puck just seems to find him in the offensive end, especially in the slot and near the crease. His excellent release and hands makes him a great goal scoring prospect, but also his ability to control the cycle makes him a terrific playmaker. While he's far from a pest, his offensive game (the way he contributes offensively) reminds me a lot of Corey Perry. They have similar body types, similar skating strides and found success at the OHL level the same way. Outside of improving his skating, adding that consistent physical element and intensity level (like Perry possesses) is the key to his development. While he's a determined player with the puck, I find that his engagement without the puck lacks consistency. Would love to see him use his size to dominate in puck retrieval and on the backcheck, but he has a tendency to float in the offensive zone, hanging out in the slot. You simply can not ignore his production this year though, even with a few warts.

Stars fourth rounder

42. Liam Hawel - Forward - Guelph Storm
Hawel is a high potential center with great size at 6'5. Tons of opportunity for him to grow into a terrific playmaker. A former first rounder to SSM, Hawel was moved to Guelph this year in the Noah Carroll deal. He played a bit better for Guelph and was a surprising addition to the Canadian U18 team (where I felt he struggled with limited ice time). With Hawel, I think it's all about adding strength. He's 6'5, but listed at under 180lbs. He gets pushed off the puck way too easily for a big guy and his effectiveness below the hash marks is severely limited. He has skill with the puck and I think there's definitely hockey sense at both ends, but he's not physically engaged enough to be a difference maker. And added strength would also add power to his stride, allowing him to get separation to utilize that size on net drives. In addition to that, Hawel has to improve at the dot if he wants to stay down the middle. Among players with over 500 draws this year, Hawel's faceoff percentage was one of the worst (43%). But as I said, Hawel has potential because there is skill in a 6'5 center package. Definitely a guy I'd take in the mid-late rounds to see how his game develops.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:18 pm

I am very much placated with our haul.

slaps

Postby slaps » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:53 pm

I find myself very pleased. We've needed a top-pair defenseman who is just all-around good at defending for a long time.

Newy25

Postby Newy25 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:48 pm

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:The goalie thing doesn't piss me off as much as I thought it would. They knew the player they wanted and they made sure they got him. That's all I ask for in a draft. It's surprising how many teams can't even do that.

When you consider we really only used a 3rd round pick for him (thank you Anaheim) it makes it a lot easier to process.

2 of our first 3 picks look to be difference making NHL players in 2-3 years which is not exactly the norm lately for us.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:19 pm

Given the lack of goalie depth in the system, I don't mind overpaying to jump start the franchise's greatest weakness.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:49 pm

Jason

Postby Jason » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:03 pm

Stars director of scouting Joe McDonnell called Heiskanen a poor man’s Nick Lidstrom right now.

Scouting reports on rounds 4-7

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:24 pm

ToddM wrote:https://twitter.com/StoolChiclets/status/878436961178005505/photo/1

I bet the Flyers picked him just to troll him for that.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:52 pm

PS Jason Robertson is half Asian, so obviously I hope that he makes the team!

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:40 am

Ok, I'll pencil him in to play Reft Wing.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:14 am

People from half-Asia only have accents 50% of the time.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:50 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Ok, I'll pencil him in to play Reft Wing Wong.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:56 pm

Knives Out wrote:Word is that it was the Senators who were looking to take Oettinger, hence the trade up.
Makes sense since Lehner is gone, Hammond's a bust, Condon is a career back-up, and Anderson is on the decline (we can't expect Nicole to be sick every season for motivation).

LOL we keep screwing over the Sens.
TSN wrote:"Stars get Methot for much less than what Sens would've had to pay."

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:31 pm

Finally our hated rivals -- The Senators -- get what's coming to them.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:34 pm

The pieces they got for Spezza are basically all gone too.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:54 pm

We basically traded Eakin, a 2nd three years from now, and a goalie that Vegas passed on 11 times, for Methot.

So he better *fargin'*' be good.

Jason

Postby Jason » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:20 pm

Jason

Postby Jason » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:22 pm

"I want to see him in camp. He's a very young player still. Sometimes you can get ahead of yourself in this game. He is still only 17-years-old," Nill said. "My preference is if he isn't making the Dallas Stars he is probably going to go back to Finland for one more year. That's the best thing for him. Let's just see where he's at. I don't want to make any promises either way. He understands that. We've had a good talk with his representatives and him. He knows where we stand. In the end, a player's play will dictate where he ends up. He's either going to be here in Dallas or what I think is probably back in Finland."

On Heiskanen
"We feel, and a lot of people feel, that he has elite talent. Since I've been here, we haven't drafted in the top three, so we have not gotten a player as coveted as this."

He has the potential to be a franchise player

Heiskanen, a native of Espoo, Finland, will come to the Traverse City (Mich.) Prospect Tournament in September and then to training camp with the Stars in Cedar Park.