Page 15 of 20

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:57 pm
by slaps
ToddM wrote:So apparently Val will finish out his contract with CSKA (and be eligible to play for Russia in the Olympics) and then rejoin the Stars in 2018.


Goalie pads are in need of some testing soon.

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:50 pm
by The Frugal Gourmet
With two years in Russia under his belt, I'm sure he will have learned how to adequately elevate the puck and hack the DNC.

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:07 pm
by Troy McClure
ScubaSteve wrote:Is he even good enough to make the Russian Olympic team?


If the NHL is serious about keeping its players out of the Olympics, he'll make the team by default.

The only reason he made the World Championship team this summer is because a few Russians skipped the tournament and then another guy was hurt.

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:26 pm
by The Frugal Gourmet
oh yeah. I forgot about that. Nevermind. He probably will.

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:37 pm
by ScubaSteve
Troy McClure wrote:
ScubaSteve wrote:Is he even good enough to make the Russian Olympic team?


If the NHL is serious about keeping its players out of the Olympics, he'll make the team by default.

The only reason he made the World Championship team this summer is because a few Russians skipped the tournament and then another guy was hurt.


The NHL isn't participating. The schedule is out with no Olympic break, and they're not going to redo it.

But even without the NHL, Russia should be the odds on favorite to win, since the KHL players will go, I assume. Val is probably still a bubble player even if it's KHL only.

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:42 pm
by Jason
With Radulov signed long-term, assuming he's a good fit, the expectation is he will evolve into a role model and mentor to talented prospects Denis Gurianov, 20, and the erstwhile Val Nichushkin, 22, who is back in Russia.


"I will say that I've seldom, if ever, had a better off-season from a management perspective of improving the team both through the change in the coaching staff and the acquisition of veteran players at literally no expense in youth," Lites said.



Some quotes from scouts on the Stars off-season

"Big upgrade in the net. Bishop is a goal against (per) game better than what they had."

"They spent a lot but they spent wisely," the scout concluded. "I think the underlying issue will be where the leadership comes from. They will be a team to watch."

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:37 pm
by slaps

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:42 pm
by Knives Out
I'm sure injuries will have him playing centre at some point.

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:20 pm
by ScubaSteve
Can he play LW? Benn's maintenance months should open up a spot.

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:05 pm
by Jason
Stars mailbag

The circumstances in Dallas. Thanks to management decisions Honka didn’t have a chance to make an NHL impact until the middle of this season and the Stars had a coaching staff in place that didn’t put much faith in young defensemen.

Honka is a good player, he may be the Stars best defender in a couple years — several outside scouts have also told me that.


Johns could be a very good player under the right coach. The big thing with Johns is learning the finer points of the game and paying closer attention to the details, which Rick Wilson and Hitchcock will preach from the beginning.

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:50 pm
by Jason
Scouts league wide (Large Picture)

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:24 pm
by ToddM
Doesn't seem to be much correlation between # of scouts and drafting prowess, except at the very top and very bottom.

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:40 pm
by SaintAngerBH
What is the difference between an amateur and a pro? Do amateurs only look at non-pro players?

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:19 pm
by 5minmajor
A paycheck

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:17 pm
by B Kat
So what's up with Oleksiak? Is he headed to arbitration? I don't recall that that was scheduled.

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:00 pm
by Troy McClure
The Hockey News is doing a bit where they predict future rosters based on contracts and what's in the system. Enjoy.

Image

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/artic ... hree-years

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:10 pm
by B Kat
Because Seguin gets traded to Toronto, no doubt. :?

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:21 pm
by SaintAngerBH
At least they got the goalies right.

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:09 pm
by Jason
Stars Mailbag

Esa Lindell is part of the long-term plan. Ken Hitchock is a big fan of Lindell, so is Jim Nill.



There are two things stopping Johns from becoming a very good NHL player: hockey sense and confidence.

You can tell when Johns isn’t confident in his game. He looks like a shell of himself and his tools are diminished. He has to have the confidence that he’ll be able to play through mistakes and that he’s not going to be benched for a minor miss-step or penalty.

Hockey sense is a bit trickier. Players do grow with the game and learn from coaches in their careers, so there is a chance Johns will improve this season under a better defensive coach. But there is also a natural element — some player are just smarter and “get” the game better than others.

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:19 pm
by Jason
SaintAngerBH wrote:What is the difference between an amateur and a pro? Do amateurs only look at non-pro players?


Amateur scouts are looking for draft eligible players and undrafted free agents in juniors/college, or others to be put on future watch lists. Future watch lists is in regards to players a team is interested in, but doesn't draft, if that's because another team drafted that player, or they had someone else ranked higher.

Then there's pro scouts which target the AHL, NHL, for info on trades, free agent signings, etc.

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:28 pm
by SaintAngerBH
https://www.nhl.com/stars/news/dallas-lands-2018-nhl-draft/c-290541880

Pause the video in the article at 1:29.

Did the Stars accidentally leak a new 3rd jersey?

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:18 pm
by atticus ross
If the Stars actually leaked a new 3rd Jersey, I imagine it would have sounded something like this (skip to the 15 sec. mark):


Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:20 pm
by Troy McClure
They didn't. Those are jerseys from a local travel team.

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:24 pm
by SaintAngerBH
Ah. They are nice.

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:24 pm
by Knives Out
I disagree.

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:15 pm
by SaintAngerBH
I disagree that you disagree.

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:05 pm
by ScubaSteve
Oleksiak is back! The cup is ours.

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:19 pm
by SaintAngerBH
Excellent. He will be great at deflecting pucks past Bishop in the press box.

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:25 pm
by Troy McClure
Good to know they've nailed down how much Phoenix will be paying him.

Re: 2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:58 pm
by Knives Out
At this point I prefer him to Nemeth and Pateryn.
Those two need to be shipped out and fast.