2017 Stars Off-Season Thread

Troy McClure

Re: 2017 Stars Offseason Thread

Postby Troy McClure » Mon May 22, 2017 1:52 pm

wonko80 wrote:I think our defense is not as bad as it played. Seeing multiple mentions about how their system, or lack of one, under Patrick was just bad.

It was interesting to see some former players outright laughing at what the Stars were doing in their own end. It makes you think the individuals can't be as bad as they look if coached better, but that's also the danger of wishful thinking.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon May 22, 2017 1:55 pm

I still think Ruff and Patrick purposely sabotaged the Stars to get revenge for 99.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon May 22, 2017 2:14 pm

Yeah, hearing from multiple sources that Patrick barely even tried coaching at all makes me wonder. Nemeth and Johns used to be pretty bad-ass when they came up from the AHL, if you recall. Lindell looked lost, Klingberg took a massive step backwards, and Honka was buried where he couldn't accidentally win games for us. Only Oleksiak seemed to improve, until he'd get scratched for 4-5 straight games.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon May 22, 2017 2:17 pm

I blame coaching for the defense. The group of defenders demonstrated some modicum of raw talent on the ice previously, but they looked lost and unfocused throughout the season. That's bad coaching.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Mon May 22, 2017 2:43 pm

The defense is what it is. Maybe having eight guys was an issue, for two seasons, that's on Nill. And maybe the coaching wasn't that great. But Klingberg is awesome, Lindell and Honka are at least very good players. Johns should be. They are all young and have young-itis. It will get better, regardless.

Eakin is a good player and Val probably will do well in the NHL too. But if trading those two for Eberle were an option, I'd jump at it. Eberle is better than either of those two players. The Stars have decent young centers and could easily afford Eakin. I don't think that would be enough to get Eberle, though.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue May 23, 2017 9:20 am

~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Jason

Postby Jason » Thu May 25, 2017 5:41 pm

This will decrease the value of Vatanen.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu May 25, 2017 6:57 pm

Proximity to Eaves
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu May 25, 2017 9:51 pm

I'd still take Lindholm. So what if he has to miss the first month or two of next season? He's worth every *fargin'* penny.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Fri May 26, 2017 9:48 am

According to TSN, Eaves would love to re-sign with the Ducks.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri May 26, 2017 10:20 am

B Kat wrote:According to TSN, Eaves would love to re-sign with the Ducks.

Playoffs are fun.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri May 26, 2017 12:04 pm

Fine. We didn't want him back anyway...............................

Leonardo da Vinci

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Fri May 26, 2017 12:11 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
B Kat wrote:According to TSN, Eaves would love to re-sign with the Ducks.

Playoffs are fun.

If ifs and nuts were candy and butts.

TSN wrote:Eaves played this season on his third straight one-year contract, which was worth $1 million, the 33-year-old his expected to draw a longer, more lucrative deal this offseason. That could rule out the Ducks, who according to CapFriendly have only $2.3 million in cap space open for next season.
ScubaSteve wrote:Cody is the Glass Fatso we need. Kari is the Glass Fatso we deserve.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri May 26, 2017 12:54 pm

Could we bring in Eberle and Eaves? We do need wingers since Hemsky and Sharp are probably gone.

Leonardo da Vinci

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri May 26, 2017 12:57 pm

Eaves coming off peak season. He'll regress to mean.

Jason

Postby Jason » Fri May 26, 2017 1:37 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:Could we bring in Eberle and Eaves? We do need wingers since Hemsky and Sharp are probably gone.

Short-term options
Justin Williams great playoff player
Jagr would be good for the regular season

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Fri May 26, 2017 1:50 pm

Thinking about getting Jagr back makes me hard.
ScubaSteve wrote:Cody is the Glass Fatso we need. Kari is the Glass Fatso we deserve.

Jason

Postby Jason » Fri May 26, 2017 2:55 pm

Stars mailbag

I asked Jim Nill about that on Friday and he said the Stars have been in contact recently and they’re trying to figure out Nichuskin’s future in the next two to three weeks.

“We’ll have to see,” Nill said. “Does he want to stay over here? Does he want to come back? We’ll figure more out in the next two or three weeks.”

I think there is a good chance of that, because the Stars are going to be active in early June and add a player that makes it more complicated to protect their assets.

Don’t be surprised if the Stars used a third or fourth-round pick to protect an extra defenseman.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Fri May 26, 2017 2:59 pm

PROTECT GIRLS AND PROTECT ROUSSEL

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri May 26, 2017 3:26 pm

Good lord. Every time Nill talks about Nichushkin, it's clear he's had zero communication with Nichushkin's people. Dude, let him go. Trade his rights. Expose him to the expansion draft. It doesn't matter. Why hold a roster spot for a guy who doesn't want to be here?

And what's the point of wasting a draft pick to protect a d-man? Who gives a crap if one of them get picked? Someone has to be lost to the expansion draft. Might as well let it be one of the six d-men who can't win a regular spot in the lineup of a bad team.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri May 26, 2017 3:47 pm

Knives Out wrote:Thinking about getting Jagr back makes me hard.

Ditto.

Leonardo da Vinci

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Fri May 26, 2017 3:49 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Good lord. Every time Nill talks about Nichushkin, it's clear he's had zero communication with Nichushkin's people. Dude, let him go. Trade his rights. Expose him to the expansion draft. It doesn't matter. Why hold a roster spot for a guy who doesn't want to be here?

And what's the point of wasting a draft pick to protect a d-man? Who gives a crap if one of them get picked? Someone has to be lost to the expansion draft. Might as well let it be one of the six d-men who can't win a regular spot in the lineup of a bad team.

Reading this in Jerry Seinfeld's voice was the best decision I've made all day.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Fri May 26, 2017 6:29 pm

http://www.quanthockey.com/khl/seasons/ ... stats.html

So Nichushkin has the same ppg as Jonathan Cheechoo. That practically screams "bust."

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri May 26, 2017 8:26 pm

He wasn't even good enough to get a number.

Leonardo da Vinci

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sat May 27, 2017 3:04 pm

Blolz.

I would have given him number 0.08 to reflect Dallas' BAC limit.

Jason

Postby Jason » Sat May 27, 2017 10:19 pm

Friedman
10. Stars GM Jim Nill went public, laying the groundwork for a potential trade of that third-overall selection. He’s looking for a defenceman that makes a difference. The Ducks can do that. Columbus and Minnesota could too. Winnipeg could if it wished to part with Jacob Trouba, but I think the Jets are going for it, and that doesn’t make sense.

Ducks defenseman
When GM Bob Murray revealed torn labrums will knock out Hampus Lindholm four to five months and Sami Vatanen potentially longer because his is “worse,” the number one question coming from other teams was some variation of, “How much longer is ‘worse?’”

With the expectation that Cam Fowler is working towards an extension, the Ducks have decisions to make. (Very) Informal polling among Murray’s peers indicates most don’t think it will be Lindholm. “A stop sign goes up whenever you ask about him,” one said.

Vatanen doesn't make a lot of sense for the Stars. The team that makes the most sense is the Wild's Brodin or Dumba, if one isn't traded prior to the expansion draft they're going to end up being the Vegas selection, unless the Wild are giving up assets to Vegas so they don't take one. Wild don't have many draft picks as it is.

Trading the 3rd overall for Vatanen, Brodin or Dumba doesn't seem like the right type of move. Maybe can trade Nichushkin and a pick if needed to Vegas for Brodin or Dumba or something to that extent.

slaps

Postby slaps » Sat May 27, 2017 11:00 pm

I'm just really not in to trading the pick unless it's for like a Victor Hedman or someone. Particularly with as uncertain as this draft is predicted to be, there's at least an even chance the Devils or Flyers go off the board and Patrick or Hischier falls to #3.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Mon May 29, 2017 8:29 am

This is the only magic bean I've ever wanted to hold on to.
For better or for worse whoever we select will be our miracle baby!

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon May 29, 2017 11:06 am

Knives Out wrote:This is the only magic bean I've ever wanted to hold on to.
For better or for worse whoever we select will be our miracle baby!

I don't know. The magic bean will go a long way to paying for some team's third best defender.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:15 am

Scott Burnside, formerly of ESPN, has been hired by the Stars as "Senior Digital Correspondent".

https://www.nhl.com/stars/news/a-new-era/c-289690804

Wonder what this means for Mark?