Ben(n) Bishop talk

Troy McClure

Re: Ben(n) Bishop talk

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:13 am

ToddM wrote:Really, our goaltending is probably good enough to do some serious damage. We were really just a Tyler Seguin injury away from making the Conference Finals. As bad as that Game 7 was, the games before it our goalies looked perfectly serviceable. And they looked significantly better than 2016 Vezina darlings Crawford (.907, 2.54 GAA), Lundqvist (.867, 4.39 GAA), and even Dubnyk (877, 3.34).

Our goaltending was *fargin'* terrible in the playoffs. It wasn't just game 7. The main reason both rounds went to a game seven was the atrocious goaltending.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:39 am

Goaltending definitely lost Games 3 and 7, and maybe Game 5. But it definitely won us Games 1, 4, and 6. Game 2 was an OT toss-up that was ultimately decided by Roussel's penalty and a bunch of shots clanking off the posts.

Really, we had much bigger issues than goaltending in that series. Like not having Seguin, a top-5 NHL player, for even one minute of a 7 game series. And the complete disappearance of Spezza for all seven games. And Ruff's inexplicable decision to stop putting Oduya/Johns on the Tarasenko line after Game 2, and instead opt for Russell/Demers. Goaltending cost us Game 7, but I doubt it would've even gotten that far if some of our key players had been even mediocre.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:23 pm

Goaltending lost games 2, 3, and 7 for sure. Goaltending ensured they wouldn't be competitive in game 5.

That's four of seven games where goaltending was freaking god awful.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:31 pm

Nah, game 2 was fine. That loss was mainly on the refs.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:46 pm

I was there. I saw Kari try to give it away.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:26 pm

In single games, our goaltending is fine. In a series it can't be counted on to win since they vacillate between average to godawful.

Eskimo Spy
Site Admin

Postby Eskimo Spy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:38 pm

Average?!?! Where?!?!
May God protect you from his followers.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:48 pm

Bishop was projected to start tonight from Tampa but was yanked before warmups. Come on, Nill!
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Tue May 09, 2017 4:36 pm

:bigleb
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Tue May 09, 2017 4:43 pm

Just in time to save our.... *f-bomb* .

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue May 09, 2017 4:55 pm

Bishop is a starter. Is Nill planning on booting both Finns?

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Tue May 09, 2017 4:56 pm

Oh goodie, another 5 million dollar goalie.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Tue May 09, 2017 5:17 pm

Nah. He will go off payroll in a few weeks.

Until then we have a great goaltender.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue May 09, 2017 5:17 pm

Nill traded away the 4th rounder he got for Jordie Benn. A much steeper price than what was paid to get the rights to Niemi.
Last edited by Troy McClure on Tue May 09, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue May 09, 2017 5:18 pm

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue May 09, 2017 5:18 pm

Now get Halak as the back-up and we'll be spending the same amount as we are now :)

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue May 09, 2017 5:21 pm

Here is where Nill covers his ass from tampering charges.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Tue May 09, 2017 5:28 pm

This goalie situation is hard to understand. I don't mean just Dallas. Darling signed a four year deal without exploring the open market and perhaps Bishop will also sign before the market opens. There seem to be enough teams looking for starting goalies for 2017-18 season that both would want to explore their options. On the other hand, we see teams with too many dollars invested in goalies, again, not just Dallas, tho we are the poster child. Is the goalie market that soft these days? Too many bad deals, makes teams gun shy?

Also, I hope we don't sign Bishop for more than Darling.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue May 09, 2017 5:34 pm

Kat, you are the only one who keeps finding a problem with this LOL.

I understand that you're hesitant and not sold on Big Ben, but just read this and really let it sink in:

Antti Niemi and Kari Lehtonen were the Stars goaltenders this season. Niemi was 22-25-7 with a 2.85 goals-against average and a .902 save percentage, and Lehtonen was 12-12-4 with a 3.30 GAA and .892 save percentage.

The Stars were 29th in the NHL in goals allowed per game (3.17) and 30th (last) in save percentage (.893).

We have improved in goal. There is zero doubt about that.

Also, Bishop will obviously get more than Darling because he's played as an actual starter in this league and has been nominated for Vezina's. Why would that be suprising to anyone?

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue May 09, 2017 5:45 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Nill traded away the 4th rounder he got for Jordie Benn.

If Bishop signs, this trade will go down as one of the best in modern sports history.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Tue May 09, 2017 5:57 pm

Knives Out wrote:Kat, you are the only one who keeps finding a problem with this LOL.

Yes, Bishop automatically makes us better in goal. His age bothers me, goalies tend to fall off after 30. So how many years is the contract? The real thing that bothers me is the way he acted in his last playoffs, where he got run and had to be carted off on a stretcher, but wasn't all that hurt. Is he a hockey player or a ballerina? And he's going to be overpaid, and I've had my fill of that for the last several seasons.

I know, it's too picky and it's not my money.

Jason

Postby Jason » Tue May 09, 2017 5:59 pm

slaps wrote:Bishop is a starter. Is Nill planning on booting both Finns?

No, Bishop needs a strong backup. He's injury prone. Unless they need roster spots, there's no reason to buyout either goalie. Keep Kari around as a goalie for around 25-32 games next season.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue May 09, 2017 5:59 pm

B Kat wrote:
Knives Out wrote:Kat, you are the only one who keeps finding a problem with this LOL.

Yes, Bishop automatically makes us better in goal. His age bothers me, goalies tend to fall off after 30. So how many years is the contract? The real thing that bothers me is the way he acted in his last playoffs, where he got run and had to be carted off on a stretcher, but wasn't all that hurt. Is he a hockey player or a ballerina? And he's going to be overpaid, and I've had my fill of that for the last several seasons.

I know, it's too picky and it's not my money.

Just admit that you don't like Ben Bishop as a player/person LOL.

I hope he grows on you though!

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue May 09, 2017 6:02 pm

Jason wrote:

No, Bishop needs a strong backup goalie. He's injury prone. Unless they need roster spots, there's no reason to buyout either goalie. Keep Kari around as a goalie for around 25-32 games for next season.

One of them has to be bought out.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Tue May 09, 2017 6:05 pm

Here's the funny thing, I actually have followed him since he was a rookie with STL, and liked him a lot. Saw him at the TC tourney and loved him. I dubbed him the chatty goalie because he talked all thru the game. Plus he's 6'7". I like 'em tall. :)

Hey, he's better than the Finns, but I am leary.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:11 pm

I'm uncertain because of this last year he played. Other than that though it's almost a no brainer.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue May 09, 2017 6:13 pm

B Kat wrote:Here's the funny thing, I actually have followed him since he was a rookie with STL, and liked him a lot. Saw him at the TC tourney and loved him. I dubbed him the chatty goalie because he talked all thru the game. Plus he's 6'7". I like 'em tall. :)

Hey, he's better than the Finns, but I am leary.

I understand how the ballerina thingy can be off putting. Hell I hated Ribs with a passion before he got here because of the same bullshit but then he ended up being one of my favourite players.

Replace the stretcher memory with this one instead:

Jason

Postby Jason » Tue May 09, 2017 6:23 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
Jason wrote:

No, Bishop needs a strong backup goalie. He's injury prone. Unless they need roster spots, there's no reason to buyout either goalie. Keep Kari around as a goalie for around 25-32 games for next season.

One of them has to be bought out.

No they don't, Stars are fine cap space wise. Stars can trade Niemi (if someone wants him/flip him for a bad contract), buyout Niemi, or they can likely assign him to the AHL next fall and likely save $900k against the cap, leave him on the roster as a healthy scratch (like the Wild did with Backstrom a few years ago), but that takes up a roster spot.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue May 09, 2017 7:03 pm

Should they do that though?

Eskimo Spy
Site Admin

Postby Eskimo Spy » Tue May 09, 2017 7:06 pm

This is a year too late, but I'll give it a chance.
May God protect you from his followers.