Ben(n) Bishop talk

cdanew

Re: Ben(n) Bishop talk

Postby cdanew » Fri May 12, 2017 10:32 am

Yes, and $1 million less average per year than Kari is currently making. Bishop must really have wanted to come back to Texas!

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Fri May 12, 2017 10:47 am

Nice
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri May 12, 2017 10:51 am

That's nice. I guess term was more important than money. He'll be what, 36 at the end?

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Fri May 12, 2017 10:57 am

LeBrun reporting: "$7 M, $6.5 M, $5.5 M, $3.5 M, $3.5 M, $3.5 M; and NMC throughout, modified NTC last 3 years". Looks like Stars really are focused on the next 3 years, as they should be.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri May 12, 2017 11:12 am

Cheap up front, but that is a damn long contract.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri May 12, 2017 11:20 am

I think it's less money and same or less term than he would have been offered on the open market.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri May 12, 2017 11:23 am

Shoulda been the league minimum. Do I need to remind you people he's a goaltender?

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri May 12, 2017 11:24 am

WHOOOO!!! We have at least average goaltending again!!!!
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Fri May 12, 2017 11:24 am

I had seen some speculation on 5 years, 5.5m to 6m per. That extra year doesn't bother me and clearly doesn't bother Nill. If it doesn't work out, he won't see the end of that deal anyway!

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri May 12, 2017 11:26 am

cdanew wrote:If it doesn't work out, he won't see the end of that deal anyway!

Why? What are you planning to do?

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri May 12, 2017 11:33 am

That announcer sounds like he's on speed.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Jason

Postby Jason » Fri May 12, 2017 11:38 am

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri May 12, 2017 11:40 am

So, I guess we will keep Lehtonen as the backup? I think I am slightly more comfortable with him in net than Niemi.

Leonardo da Vinci

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri May 12, 2017 11:42 am

Nah, I prefer Niemi.

What I would really like, though, is to get rid of both and actually let a young guy play the position.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri May 12, 2017 11:42 am

Jason wrote:

8th in shutouts?

What a loser.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri May 12, 2017 12:41 pm

Looks like they're keeping Kari.

I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri May 12, 2017 1:10 pm

I wonder how Lehtonen feels about that. Has to sting a little.

Leonardo da Vinci

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Fri May 12, 2017 1:51 pm

Well, that's that. And it does improve our goaltending. (Hopefully) :)

I doubt we could rid both Finns, but I'd like to do that. Start with a clean slate.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Fri May 12, 2017 1:58 pm

TSN analysis of the trade/signing.

http://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speakin ... p-1.750157

Click link, there's a nice chart with fancy stats I don't understand. But anyway, I agree with the verdict.

Verdict: It’s understandable that the Stars would want to make changes to their goaltending after recent struggles, but investing big money in the position, for a goaltender over 30-years-old, means that the solution they’ve chosen is fraught with risk. There just aren’t that many goaltenders over 31 that are performing at a peak level and that’s Bishop’s starting point in this contract. The best hope for success is for Bishop to perform well in the early years of this deal and the later years, when the actual salary decreases (to $3.5M per season in each of the last three years), are easier to move or buy out, if necessary. It’s never a good sign when you’re looking at the buyout terms the day that the deal is signed.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Fri May 12, 2017 3:08 pm

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Fri May 12, 2017 3:20 pm

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Fri May 12, 2017 3:22 pm

B Kat wrote:TSN analysis of the trade/signing.

Click link, there's a nice chart with fancy stats I don't understand. But anyway, I agree with the verdict.

Verdict: It’s understandable that the Stars would want to make changes to their goaltending after recent struggles, but investing big money in the position, for a goaltender over 30-years-old, means that the solution they’ve chosen is fraught with risk. There just aren’t that many goaltenders over 31 that are performing at a peak level and that’s Bishop’s starting point in this contract. The best hope for success is for Bishop to perform well in the early years of this deal and the later years, when the actual salary decreases (to $3.5M per season in each of the last three years), are easier to move or buy out, if necessary. It’s never a good sign when you’re looking at the buyout terms the day that the deal is signed.

We're two years into a four year window that started when we acquired Spezza and ends when we pay or lose Seguin. We wasted all of last year by not correcting the goaltending. Since we only have two years left, I'm all for "win now" moves.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri May 12, 2017 3:26 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:I wonder how Lehtonen feels about that. Has to sting a little.

You know what else stings a little? 40 unscreened goals from the blue line every season.

oglethorpe

Postby oglethorpe » Fri May 12, 2017 3:28 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:
B Kat wrote:TSN analysis of the trade/signing.

We're two years into a four year window that started when we acquired Spezza and ends when we pay or lose Seguin. We wasted all of last year by not correcting the goaltending. Since we only have two years left, I'm all for "win now" moves.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Fri May 12, 2017 3:48 pm

I am nodding slowly and grunting like a Yakuza boss.
ScubaSteve wrote:Cody is the Glass Fatso we need. Kari is the Glass Fatso we deserve.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri May 12, 2017 4:59 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:I wonder how Lehtonen feels about that. Has to sting a little.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon May 15, 2017 12:51 pm

Interesting twist. I don't think it's that big of a deal, but it is fun for the armchair GM.

But according to a report from the Joural de Montreal’s Renaud Lavoie, Bishop wasn’t Dallas’ first choice. Instead, Stars GM Jim Nill wanted Scott Darling from the Chicago Blackhawks.

According to Lavoie, Nill wasn’t interested in giving up a third-round pick for Darling’s exclusive negotiating rights, so the ‘Hawks shipped him to Carolina instead.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon May 15, 2017 12:53 pm

That doesn't necessarily mean that Darling was favored over Bishop. It just means Nill was investigating all available options simultaneously.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon May 15, 2017 1:17 pm

I'm fine with either one. I've seen some articles pointing out the Bishop and Lehtonen are somewhat similar in terms of stats, so this may not be a big upgrade for Dallas. However, it's a mental upgrade. Everyone in the AAC (and on the team, whether they admit it or not) has the same thought when Kari lets in a goal or two: "*poo poo*, here we go again." And then the game is lost.

With Bishop, it's a clean slate and his win/loss stats seem to show that, when a bad or fluky goal happens, the game isn't essentially over. He can rebound.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon May 15, 2017 1:28 pm

Bishop and Kari had similar stats last year, when Bishop was battling injuries and Kari... was Kari.

Before that, Bishop was #2 and #3 in the Vezina in two of the three years prior to that, a top-10 Hart trophy finalist, and led the entire league in GAA two seasons ago.

Kari, uh, once led the league in overtime losses.

So, yeah, basically the same guy.