Ralph sounds like a real ball...

Troy McClure

Re: Ralph sounds like a real ball...

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:02 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Ralph is the fill in for Bob on BaD Radio today for those who want to hear him.

Ralph is on today and tomorrow as well.

Ralph told some fun stories about smoking with Zubov while on the road. He also is going to get himself removed from Modano's Christmas card list because he said Zubov was the best player on the '99 team.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:16 pm

Can we get Kid back on?
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:32 am

Troy McClure wrote:Ralph told some fun stories about smoking with Zubov while on the road. He also is going to get himself removed from Modano's Christmas card list because he said Zubov was the best player on the '99 team.

I love Zubov. LOVE him.

But Ralph must be back on drugs if that's what he believes. And it must be some really powerful *poo poo*, too.

In four fewer games played in the 1998-'99 regular season Modano outscored Zubov 81-51 and was +29 to Zubov's +9, outscored him 23-13 in the '99 playoffs and 7 to 3 in the '99 Stanley Cup Final while assisting on every one of the Stars' last five goals in the series after his left wrist was broken in Game 2.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:15 am

Is this the first post that isn't Twitter links?

I know it's early, but I can I dip my toes back into the "Modano wouldn't even be a hall of famer if he was Canadian" waters?
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:29 am

#JTONTFJTGM wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:Ralph told some fun stories about smoking with Zubov while on the road. He also is going to get himself removed from Modano's Christmas card list because he said Zubov was the best player on the '99 team.

I love Zubov. LOVE him.

But Ralph must be back on drugs if that's what he believes. And it must be some really powerful *poo poo*, too.

In four fewer games played in the 1998-'99 regular season Modano outscored Zubov 81-51 and was +29 to Zubov's +9, outscored him 23-13 in the '99 playoffs and 7 to 3 in the '99 Stanley Cup Final while assisting on every one of the Stars' last five goals in the series after his left wrist was broken in Game 2.

You do realize that Zubov was a defenseman right? Defensemen generally don't score as much as first line centers.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:40 am

Lol was going to say that.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:47 am

The Dallas Stars made the playoffs 91% of the time where Zubov played more than ten games in a season.

With Modano, the number drops to 69%.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:48 am

Heh. 69.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:06 am

The Dallas Stars made the playoffs 100% of the time Val played more than ten games.

That number drops to 0% without him.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:19 am

ToddM wrote:The Dallas Stars made the playoffs 100% of the time Val played more than ten games.

That number drops to 0% without him.

They also win 100% of playoff series where they scratch Val.

Dat1guy

Postby Dat1guy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:46 am

You Modano naysayers might be surprised to know Modano won a *poo poo* ton more face offs than Zubov that season and playoffs too. Sheesh, and you guys consider yourselves hockey fans...

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:09 pm

Modano's JerseyFlap/60 puts Zubov's to shame.

Dat1guy

Postby Dat1guy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:55 pm

My Zubov Fap/60 should count for something.

What?

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:46 pm

I could listen to Zubov stories all day. Today was day two of Zubov talk when Bill Guerin joined Dan and Ralph. Guerin agreed Zubov should be in the hall of fame, but Guerin isn't your standard Russian-hating Canadian.

They laughed about how Zubov could smoke as much as he did and still play as much as he did when Ralph mentioned how Zubov had an empty Folgers can taped to the wall in the corner of the arena shower. It was marked Property of Sergei Zubov. That was the ashtray he used when showering after games. Guerin asked how Ralph knew what was in the team shower, and Ralph said he learned about it from a player in town for the All-Star Game who thought it was a joke. It was not. Guerin said Zubov would smoke two cigarettes before getting on the bus to a road game. After a game, Zubov would drink two Bud Lights and smoke two cigarettes in the shower.

Ralph said something about how they were especially amazed by shocked in those training camps in Vail when Zubov would smoke and practice not look like he was affected at all by the altitude.

What drove Guerin craziest about Zubov was how Guerin said he'd spend his offseasons busting his ass in the gym, while all Zubov said he did was play some tennis.

They also joked about how players said Zubov wouldn't pass you the puck if he was mad at you. Ralph said this was joked about when Boucher scored 18 goals with the joke being Zubov stopped passing to him late in the season to keep him from getting 20 goals.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:16 pm

...and they call Modano a rock star.........
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:21 pm

Troy McClure wrote:I could listen to Zubov stories all day. Today was day two of Zubov talk when Bill Guerin joined Dan and Ralph. Guerin agreed Zubov should be in the hall of fame, but Guerin isn't your standard Russian-hating Canadian.

He's an American. Actually, Zubov is too. Which is weird because not long after becoming an American citizen, he went back to Russia.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:32 pm

Just in case.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:42 pm

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:I could listen to Zubov stories all day. Today was day two of Zubov talk when Bill Guerin joined Dan and Ralph. Guerin agreed Zubov should be in the hall of fame, but Guerin isn't your standard Russian-hating Canadian.

He's an American. Actually, Zubov is too. Which is weird because not long after becoming an American citizen, he went back to Russia.

Poorly worded on my part. I know he's American, but I was eager to insult Canadians and got sloppy.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:22 am

EH *f-bomb* YOU BUD
ScubaSteve wrote:Cody is the Glass Fatso we need. Kari is the Glass Fatso we deserve.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:22 am

Sorry.
ScubaSteve wrote:Cody is the Glass Fatso we need. Kari is the Glass Fatso we deserve.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:15 pm

He's not your bud, guy.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:26 am

SaintAngerBH wrote:
#JTONTFJTGM wrote:

I love Zubov. LOVE him.

You do realize that Zubov was a defenseman right? Defensemen generally don't score as much as first line centers.

As a matter of fact I do, since I was watching him play in person at Madison Square Garden as a 22-year-old NHL rookie who scored 31 points in 49 games when I'm guessing you wouldn't have known who he was.

The next season I saw him lead his Presidents' Trophy and Stanley Cup-winning team in scoring with 89 points, five more than Mark Messier and 10 more than Brian Leetch and Adam Graves, who each played in six more games than Zubov did.

And I was at the Garden for every playoff game that season, watching him set up his team's first two goals and help to set their third in motion in their 3-2 win over the Canucks in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final, ending his team's, and their fans', 54-year wait for the Stanley Cup.

In the lockout-shortened 48-game 1995 season, his last with the Rangers, I watched him score 36 points in 38 games, finishing third to Messier's 53 points in 46 games and Leetch's 41 points in 48 games.

During their 12 seasons as teammates in Dallas, Zubov scored 549 points in 839 regular season games for an average of 53.7 points per 82 games played and Modano scored 817 points in 899 games for an average of 74.5 points per 82 games played.

This is how their scoring compared during their first seven seasons together from ages 26-32 when the Stars were at their best:

1996-'97 - Zubov 43 points in 78 games, Modano 83 points in 80 games.

1997-'98 - Zubov 57 points in 73 games, Modano 59 points in 52 games.

1998-'99 - Zubov 51 points in 81 games, Modano 81 points in 77 games.

'99-2000 - Zubov 42 points in 77 games, Modano 81 points in 77 games.

2000-'01 - Zubov 51 points in 79 games, Modano 84 points in 81 games.

2001-'02 - Zubov 44 points in 80 games, Modano 77 points in 78 games.

2002-'03 - Zubov 55 points in 82 games, Modano 85 points in 79 games.

Zubov scored 72 points in 114 playoff games with the Stars from 1997-2008 and during that time Modano scored 108 points in 126 games.

11 of those playoff games that Zubov missed were the Stars' five-game win over the Oilers in the first round of the 2000 playoffs and their six-game win over the defending Stanley Cup Champion Ducks in the first round of the 2008 playoffs.

I fully understand and appreciate Zubov's greatness. My guess is that I saw more of it than any of you did so the point here is not to show that he wasn't great but more to show how otherworldly great Mike Modano was and especially was for this team.

I've been reading what some of you have been spewing about him since the Andrew's Dallas Stars Page days and I've never quite been able to gauge how much of it is simply for yuks and how much of it is possibly personal dislike for him but it's hard to believe that so many of you could possibly not comprehend who and what he was as a hockey player and what he meant to the Dallas Stars.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:20 am

You must not be familiar with the Mike Modano who played before Ken Hitchcock coached the team. That Modano took half the games off and whined to the management that he was the only good player on the team and threatened to walk at one point if they didn't start signing better players. Also, you must have missed his performances post-Hitchcock because he reverted back to his lazy ways when there wasn't someone there with a whip, forcing him to give his best effort every night. Only then, he was so old and slow that his talent couldn't make up for it. Remember his 14 goal effort in 03-04 because he was upset that his financial advisor lost him a bunch of money?

You're repeating the same point which I have already debunked. You cannot compare Modano's point production to Zubov's because Zubov was a defenseman. It is more appropriate to compare each player to the other players who played the same position. The only defenseman I can think of who was greater than Zubov was Lidstrom. Niedermayer and Pronger in his prime were up there as well. I can think of lots of forwards who were better than Modano. Lemieux, Jagr, Yzerman, Sakic, Lindros before the injuries, Hull....all of them were more talented and better than Modano.

Mike Modano is the reason I became a Stars fan. He is actually a friend of my family and I was a North Stars fan from age 5 in 1989. When it was decided that the Stars would move to Dallas, I was elated and hadn't missed one game since 1993 until this past season when I was so pissed off that I threw in the towel just like they did. I am older and have a little more life experience now to realize that Modano gave half-assed efforts consistently throughout his career and acted like a little *goddess* when things didn't go his way. Just look at his whining when the Stars decided that they wouldn't pay him to sit on his ass in Arizona and do nothing. He had been complaining since the mid-90s.

We are all sarcastic and make warped posts here for fun. Maybe you just need to grow a thicker skin.....

Leonardo da Vinci

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:29 am

I hope this argument doesn't distract us from the important issues... like whether Ritchie is an upper tier career 3rd liner or a lower tier career 3rd liner.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:49 am

I appreciate that there are still hockey arguments worthy of copious typing.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:21 am

Ritchie is the best 4th liner since Jon Sim.

Leonardo da Vinci

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:32 am

Ritchie reminds me a lot of Dave Andryechuk. Slow, not all that great on D, but he excels at taking punishment in front of the net and getting tough shots off from really weird angles. Some of which go in! Holmstrom-esque.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:34 am

Guys, let's settle this once and for all.
My vote is Zubov > Modano.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:42 am

They were both good in different ways. Why can't we all just get along?!?

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:44 pm

Sim and Ritchie?