Stars acquire Niemi from the Sharks

Troy McClure

Re: Stars acquire Niemi from the Sharks

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:28 pm

I'll believe Kari is gone when I see it.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:12 pm

For the record the Niemi deal: 3 years 13.5 million. I sure hope this works out better than it seems.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:02 pm

That's a lot of money tied up in two possibly very similar goaltenders for the next three years. The financial flexibility is what concerns me most (along with whether they both still have much left in the tank, which I think they probably do, but I'm not sure about that).

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:50 pm

I have to believe they are using this year to test Kari. Best case is he responds, plays well, and they can actually trade him to someone. Worst case is they buy him out or trade him and retain a bunch of salary.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:44 pm

Can I admit something to you guys without being judged? I feel bad about it enough already.

Our goalie situation is so dumb that I actually found myself missing Turco at 4am.

That's how bad things have gotten.
ScubaSteve wrote:Cody is the Glass Fatso we need. Kari is the Glass Fatso we deserve.

Jason

Postby Jason » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:58 pm

More quotes

“I know going back over their history, going back over the last five or six years, they are probably the top two goalies in minutes played of anybody in the Western Conference,” Nill said. “I know Kari has gone into a lot of games where he has been tired or has been injured and has had to play. We had no other choices. We had to win. This now gives us that opportunity if somebody is banged up a little bit, we’ve got a couple of days to rest him. Back-to-backs, we know we’ve got a rested and healthy goalie going in.”

“One guy is going to start the first game and then we are just going to play it by ear from there. They are both going to play lots of games,” Nill said. “There is going to be lots of opportunity for both of them. It’s not like one guy is playing 60 and one guy is playing 20. It is going to work itself out. You know in this game there are lots of injuries, things happen. We just know we have now taken care of that one position we were worried about. We were one injury away from being in trouble, and now we are very comfortable whichever way we go. We have two guys that can do the job and they are both comfortable with that situation.”

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:19 pm

So every time we give up 5 goals in a game, I'm just going to be a dick and go ahead and point that we have the most expensive goaltending in the league.

Cool?

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:05 pm

Well, that will happen any time Kari is playing, so at least 30 times this season we'll hear that.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:16 pm

Nonsense. He will have at least 4 or 5 games this season where he gets lucky and we will say: "Finally, Kari is coming around". Only to be very wrong.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:20 pm

It's my hope that Reese pieces Kari's game back together.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:27 pm

BigAl wrote:It's my hope that Reese pieces Kari's game back together.

:mspo:
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:33 pm

BigAl is relentless.

Eskimo Spy
Site Admin

Postby Eskimo Spy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:24 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:
BigAl wrote:It's my hope that Reese pieces Kari's game back together.

:mspo:

:y
May God protect you from his followers.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:39 pm

Knives Out wrote:Can I admit something to you guys without being judged? I feel bad about it enough already.

Our goalie situation is so dumb that I actually found myself missing Turco at 4am.

That's how bad things have gotten.

Yup. My boss is a big hockey fan (NY Rangers) who knows how much I hate Kari now and he was trolling me hard via text this afternoon.

*frakker*.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:22 pm

I'm wary of the move, but after watching 7 years of rancid brown diarrhea for backups, the idea of two starting goalies is strangely appealing.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:06 pm

I think I see what Nill is doing here, and I like it. It's the long con. You know Kari is trash, but you can't dump him without eating money or making a bad trade. So you wait. You grab another guy. Maybe not a true replacement, but a guy who can take some of the load off Kari. In turn, Kari starts fewer games, maybe puts up better numbers, and burns another year off his contract. Then you can ship his ass out next summer. Teams will be more inclined to take on a guy with only two years left who put up ok numbers than a guy who has three years left and was worst in the league.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:29 pm

Scuba is really optimistic these days.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:39 am

ScubaSteve wrote:I think I see what Nill is doing here, and I like it. It's the long con. You know Kari is trash, but you can't dump him without eating money or making a bad trade. So you wait. You grab another guy. Maybe not a true replacement, but a guy who can take some of the load off Kari. In turn, Kari starts fewer games, maybe puts up better numbers, and burns another year off his contract. Then you can ship his ass out next summer. Teams will be more inclined to take on a guy with only two years left who put up ok numbers than a guy who has three years left and was worst in the league.

Agree. I said that a few posts above but you elaborated more. When this theory gets credit, I'd like my name attached.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:04 am

I'm going to buy the logic. Having two decent goalies will help both of them and the team. Mainly because I don't want to wake up at 4:00am missing Marty Turco.

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:10 am

I don't think it will make things worse, at least.

WesTexStars

Postby WesTexStars » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:04 pm

Since there isn't a young UFA defenseman available that is a game changer, I somewhat see the logic in signing Niemi. Having two goalies who would start on 20 other teams in the league will enable them to stay fresher and hopefully overcome the shitty back-to-back game record this team has had for years. Competition is a great motivator and lets face it, Kari hasn't had any true competition since he's been here. Since neither is signed to long term contracts, the buyout option in manageable. Hopefully next year they can sign one/two of the UFA defensemen Seabrook, Byfuglien, or Eric Johnson.
A DAY AT THE BEACH IS BETTER THAN ANY OTHER!!

Jason

Postby Jason » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:57 pm

BigG44 wrote:ESPN Insider had some interesting things to say about the move. They quoted an anonymous goalie coach who said if it wasn't for Lehtonen's mental weakness, he'd be Price or Lundqvist that he's that talented. He just doesn't have the mental strength or the drive at times to be the good. The same coach said Niemi is actually the exact opposite. He succeeds despite not being the most talented because of hard work and determination.

The guy essentially said this will go very well or be an awful situation. Lehtonen will either let Niemi's work ethic rub off on him or he will further regress mentally from the competition.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:39 pm

I don't get what about Kari shows his talent. His embiggened stature?

But I'm not a goaltending coach, so that sounds promising anyway.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:43 pm

There may be talent there. Kari doesn't get beat because of bad positioning or decision making the way Turco did at the end. Often times he seems to be in perfect position and I'm left scratching my head wondering how the puck even got through. Work ethic and attention to detail aren't his strong points. I don't know that Kari's ceiling Price-level, but he is (was?) certainly capable of being better than this past season.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:47 pm

His many sharp angle goals are all about bad positioning, but it's really due to laziness and lax concentration.

The talent comment probably comes from how highly he was thought of when he was drafted and early in his career where he was the only guy trying to keep the puck out of Atlanta's net.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:59 pm

He made some showstopping stops last season. But those aren't worth much when he lets in the weak ones, at the worst time.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:07 pm

No points for using "embiggened"?

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:04 pm

It is a perfectly crumulent word.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:04 pm

You are a perfectly cromulent poster.
ScubaSteve wrote:Cody is the Glass Fatso we need. Kari is the Glass Fatso we deserve.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Look at the post times. Great minds *f-bomb* each other.