2015 NHL Draft June 26th/27th

Jason

Re: 2015 NHL Draft June 26th/27th

Postby Jason » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:22 pm

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:44 pm

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:In all seriousness, I think Nill went for the home run pick. He comes with more potential risk, but his top potential is 1st line power forward. Barzal is a safer bet, but more like a potential #2 center.

For years I was listening to you guys complain that we were picking safe, so take it for what it is. This is the home run swing.

True dat. Word.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:17 pm

I think the safe pick complaints go back to the Gainey era. In recent seasons, they've been anything but safe. Most picks were more stupid than safe (Glennie & Campbell) or just didn't work out (Oleksiak?). I guess Faksa might have fallen into the safe category...
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Jason

Postby Jason » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:39 pm

Russian Prospects
Denis Guryanov (Lada Togliatti): Has the hardest, and best, shot of anyone in the draft. No question in our minds that he's a top 10 overall talent.

Craig Button
"One of the most powerful, dynamic players in the draft. Has excellent speed but his explosive quickness is exceptional and he can create space and opportunities quickly. Excellent shot with a quick release and goalies have to be ready. Easily could be a top 10 or even a top five talent in this draft."

Hockey Prospectus (More on Link)
Characteristics

Skating (Speed/edges/technique/etc)

A big sized and powerful skater who has good speed but lacks some explosiveness, which is because of his big body. Once in motion he reaches a good top speed. He is very strong on his skates and has great balance. Is hard to knock off the puck which allows him to drive the net and power himself through the offensive zone.

Shooting (Slap/wrist/backhand, General strength, proclivities, etc)

The Russian power forward has a rocket shot. Very powerful and accurate and uses both wristshot as well as a booming slapshot. He is a sniper who loves to fire the puck and doesn’t miss a chance to shoot.

Smarts (vision, defensive play, ability to stick in system, etc.)

Unlike a sniper, Guryanov is trying hard to also play responsible in his own zone. He backchecks quite well and is trying to support his defenders. Though he can be more efficient in doing so and needs to use his stick more effectively to block passing lanes. He possesses a hard and accurate pass and is aware of the position of his line mates, though prefers to shoot by himself.

Jason

Postby Jason » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:43 pm

Troy McClure wrote:I think the safe pick complaints go back to the Gainey era. In recent seasons, they've been anything but safe. Most picks were more stupid than safe (Glennie & Campbell) or just didn't work out (Oleksiak?). I guess Faksa might have fallen into the safe category...

Glennie was stupid, because the Stars never even talked him to prior to the draft.
At least in Campbell's case, they did think he was a franchise goalie, who fell and they talked to him prior to the draft. Even prior to being drafted by the Stars Campbell was working with Valley, so hopefully he gets to work with Reese and might finally see different results. Like he had when he worked with Moog.

Faksa was a safe pick.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:46 pm

The more I read about him, the more Guryanov sounds less like Nichushkin and more like someone like a Russkie Corey Perry. This could end up being not-at-all bad.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:48 pm

Everything I read about him is nothing short of spectacular.

I mean there's the obligatory "doesn't like to play defense", but they say that about every single player like this.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:59 pm

And who gives a *poo poo* about defense? You can teach a goal scorer to play d. You can't teach a grinder to score.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:46 pm

Actually, they say he plays defense just fine.

Really, his only apparent weakness is not being Canadian.

Jason

Postby Jason » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:08 pm

Mark Stepneski@StarsInsideEdge
Joe McDonnell says Denis Gurianov was Stars' guy since November.

Josh Bogorad@JoshBogorad 2h
(1/2) My thoughts on pick - The Stars scouts loved Gurianov. They had other good options, but baring one of those "elite" guys dropping
to
(2/2) them, Gurianov was their guy all along. They know it surprised people and they don't care. They are confident in him and their pick

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:31 am

ToddM wrote:Actually, they say he plays defense just fine.

Really, his only apparent weakness is not being Canadian.

I forget what scouting report I read that he doesn't like to play defense but it may have only been "Hockey's Future" caliber so take it with a grain of salt.
Last edited by The Frugal Gourmet on Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:32 am

Jason wrote:
Mark Stepneski@StarsInsideEdge
Joe McDonnell says Denis Gurianov was Stars' guy since November.

Josh Bogorad@JoshBogorad 2h
(1/2) My thoughts on pick - The Stars scouts loved Gurianov. They had other good options, but baring one of those "elite" guys dropping
to
(2/2) them, Gurianov was their guy all along. They know it surprised people and they don't care. They are confident in him and their pick

Well, hey. If they think he's great then they think he's great.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:19 am

#24 DENIS GURYANOV
POSITION: Right Wing
TEAM: Ladia Togliatti (MHL)
SHOOTS: Left
BORN: June 7, 1997
VITALS: 6’-2" / 195 Lbs
STATS LINE: 23 GP 15 G 10 A 25 PTS 39 PIM
STRENGTHS: The big Russian winger is a speedy and skilled forward who has potent offensive ability. A very quick skater who
can pick up steam in an instant and break plays open. Guryanov is a poised puck carrier who has a long reach and great hands
to remain elusive to checkers. He has no problem transitioning the puck and moving the play around the offensive zone, even
though he tries to tackle these tasks with a bit of selfishness. When Guryanov does see a passing lane, he will execute. He can
find small windows of opportunity and is confident in hitting a streaking teammate’s stick. Guryanov has a good sense of the offensive zone, especially finding open ice. He’s not just a flash and dash player, he goes into corners, throws his body around
and drags plays to the front of his net. He fights through checks to get loose in order to get the puck on net. He has a lethal
shot that he can get off quickly. Shot selection is perfect and all of which have high velocity. Easily has a pro ready release
and displays a powerful snap shot off the one-timer as he steps into the puck with all of his weight behind it. We like his
compete level all over the ice and willingness to play responsibly. He sees some time on the penalty kill and powerplay. He is
good at reading the play and keeping himself in a good position. Defensively, Guryanov challenges the point man, takes away
space and limits options, all while being a danger to turn the play back the other way. We like his physical game but he can go
overboard at times and get himself and his team into penalty trouble in the process. Loves to lay the body and looks to drive
the opposition through the boards. Pretty quick on the backcheck to pick up his man, but would like to see a consistent effort
in the defensive zone. Heading up ice without the puck, Guryanov puts himself in the right position to get a pass. He has
a flashy, creative side with the puck, which is made possible with his quick hands in tight. Has an explosive stride when he
needs it; he is a balanced skater who is hard to push around. Really the full package of size and skill. Another prospect who
really had a strong showing at the U18’s this past April. Had a cup of coffee with Lada Togliatti in the KHL this season and
expects to play there full time next season.
WEAKNESSES: The birth certificate is his main area of concern. Unlike countryman Provorov, Guryanov has made no
commitment to playing in the NHL and has not expressed his interest, meaning he is a real risk for the NHL team that selects
him. If his name was John Smith from Toronto, he would likely be considered a top 10 pick by many teams. Another area of
concern for NHL teams that came up at the recent U18 is his maturity level as he was a 17-year-old acting like 17-year-olds
can off the ice.
SCOUTS QUOTE: "Guryanov impressed me in this contest. He was all over the puck and winning most of his battles, including
every 50/50 battle he engaged in. A dangerous scorer with a real strong shot that he gets on net in a hurry. He is
an impressive forward who has the skills and the hockey sense to be a top prospect."

Again, check out that "weakness" category.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:25 am

Gurianov is the one in blue:

I'm telling ya, I don't know where the Nich comparisons come from, this guy is pure Corey Perry all the way through.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:35 am

You can't compare him to Perry. It breaks every rule of hockey. You have to find the most similar Russian.

CycloneGU

Postby CycloneGU » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:35 am

"The @SanJoseSharks have traded Antti Niemi to the #Stars in exchange for pick 193. #StarsDraft"

That's it. Don't need any more picks. Start the season.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:40 am

Here's another difference: his highlight reel actually shows goals where he shoots the puck into the net. Nichushkin's highlight goals were all ones where he pushed the puck into the net along the ice, which showed itself in his first few months in the NHL where he tried it over and over without success against NHL goalies.

Archangel972

Postby Archangel972 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:05 am

ToddM wrote:Hopefully we can pick this guy up in the 2nd round:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=92117

You got your wish.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:10 am

Archangel972 wrote:
ToddM wrote:Hopefully we can pick this guy up in the 2nd round:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=92117

You got your wish.

ROOPE!!11!!!

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:20 am

Thora Birch.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:25 am

Hintz's passing is really good already.

slaps

Postby slaps » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:27 am

He's 57 shades of awesome, it seems.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:28 am

I see hintz of greatness there.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:35 am

ToddM wrote:#24 DENIS GURYANOV
POSITION: Right Wing
TEAM: Ladia Togliatti (MHL)
SHOOTS: Left
BORN: June 7, 1997
VITALS: 6’-2" / 195 Lbs
STATS LINE: 23 GP 15 G 10 A 25 PTS 39 PIM
STRENGTHS: The big Russian winger is a speedy and skilled forward who has potent offensive ability. A very quick skater who
can pick up steam in an instant and break plays open. Guryanov is a poised puck carrier who has a long reach and great hands
to remain elusive to checkers. He has no problem transitioning the puck and moving the play around the offensive zone, even
though he tries to tackle these tasks with a bit of selfishness. When Guryanov does see a passing lane, he will execute. He can
find small windows of opportunity and is confident in hitting a streaking teammate’s stick. Guryanov has a good sense of the offensive zone, especially finding open ice. He’s not just a flash and dash player, he goes into corners, throws his body around
and drags plays to the front of his net. He fights through checks to get loose in order to get the puck on net. He has a lethal
shot that he can get off quickly. Shot selection is perfect and all of which have high velocity. Easily has a pro ready release
and displays a powerful snap shot off the one-timer as he steps into the puck with all of his weight behind it. We like his
compete level all over the ice and willingness to play responsibly. He sees some time on the penalty kill and powerplay. He is
good at reading the play and keeping himself in a good position. Defensively, Guryanov challenges the point man, takes away
space and limits options, all while being a danger to turn the play back the other way. We like his physical game but he can go
overboard at times and get himself and his team into penalty trouble in the process. Loves to lay the body and looks to drive
the opposition through the boards. Pretty quick on the backcheck to pick up his man, but would like to see a consistent effort
in the defensive zone. Heading up ice without the puck, Guryanov puts himself in the right position to get a pass. He has
a flashy, creative side with the puck, which is made possible with his quick hands in tight. Has an explosive stride when he
needs it; he is a balanced skater who is hard to push around. Really the full package of size and skill. Another prospect who
really had a strong showing at the U18’s this past April. Had a cup of coffee with Lada Togliatti in the KHL this season and
expects to play there full time next season.
WEAKNESSES: The birth certificate is his main area of concern. Unlike countryman Provorov, Guryanov has made no
commitment to playing in the NHL and has not expressed his interest, meaning he is a real risk for the NHL team that selects
him. If his name was John Smith from Toronto, he would likely be considered a top 10 pick by many teams. Another area of
concern for NHL teams that came up at the recent U18 is his maturity level as he was a 17-year-old acting like 17-year-olds
can off the ice.
SCOUTS QUOTE: "Guryanov impressed me in this contest. He was all over the puck and winning most of his battles, including
every 50/50 battle he engaged in. A dangerous scorer with a real strong shot that he gets on net in a hurry. He is
an impressive forward who has the skills and the hockey sense to be a top prospect."

Again, check out that "weakness" category.

It's official. We won the draft. Yup. I declare it right now. Totally objective opinion.

Basically he's a Val Nichuskin who can actually shoot the puck amazingly well.

I guess the only problems is he's only 17 and probably a little farther off.

CycloneGU

Postby CycloneGU » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:08 am

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:
ToddM wrote:WEAKNESSES: The birth certificate is his main area of concern.

It's official. We won the draft. Yup. I declare it right now. Totally objective opinion.

:Giggle:

CycloneGU

Postby CycloneGU » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:00 pm

Gotta admire the guy's spirit.

Joseph Cecconi: "@jamiebenn14 was a 5th rounder and now, well, he's Jamie Benn! I'm hoping to follow in his footsteps."

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:20 pm

Even better is that fact that Cecconi is a bruising defenseman and said that.

Jason

Postby Jason » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:19 pm

No. 49 Roope Hintz, Dallas Stars: On top of being incredibly fun to say, Roope Hintz is actually a pretty interesting prospect. At 6-3, 191, he played in Finland's top pro league and managed to make Finland's World Junior team as an under-ager. He had 17 points in 42 games for Ilves and looks to have some tremendous upside.

Islanders took Andong Song from China.

Eskimo Spy
Site Admin

Postby Eskimo Spy » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:40 pm

Annyong.
May God protect you from his followers.

slaps

Postby slaps » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:40 pm