Former Stars Thread

ScubaSteve

Re: Former Stars Thread

Postby ScubaSteve » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:33 pm

Check out who is leading the league in plus/minus.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

5minmajor

Postby 5minmajor » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:54 pm

Too hard. Who?
"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:04 am

Nichushkin is something like 6th in plus minus. He’s also having a good offensive season, which only solidifies how much of a quitter he was and was tanking to get out of Dallas.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:21 am

Yeah. That actually makes me more angry than if he had legitimately been a bust. *f-bomb* that guy.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:43 pm

It's almost as if our coaching sucks.

Almost.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:35 pm

ToddM wrote:It's almost as if our coaching sucks.

Almost.

Yes. Coaching is why he left. Twice.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:50 pm

He was doomed from the start. Dumb of Nill to promise he would only play in the NHL. He could have gotten a lot out of playing in the AHL.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:38 am

Yes. Nichushkin might have doubled his goal total from last year if he had some AHL experience.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:06 am

B Kat wrote:He was doomed from the start. Dumb of Nill to promise he would only play in the NHL. He could have gotten a lot out of playing in the AHL.

He wasn’t permitted to go to the AHL per the terms of his KHL contact. It only had an out for the NHL.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:19 pm

slaps wrote:
B Kat wrote:He was doomed from the start. Dumb of Nill to promise he would only play in the NHL. He could have gotten a lot out of playing in the AHL.

He wasn’t permitted to go to the AHL per the terms of his KHL contact. It only had an out for the NHL.

I thought his original contract also had a clause preventing him from being sent to the AHL.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:23 pm

He also had a clause that prevented him from elevating the puck.
Could of.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:29 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:
slaps wrote:

I thought his original contract also had a clause preventing him from being sent to the AHL.

No, I don't think that's a part of a standard player contract. I've never heard of that outside a no-move clause, but a NMC is definitely not a part of an entry-level deal.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:22 pm

Slaps has upvoted BKat.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:17 pm

slaps wrote:
SaintAngerBH wrote:
slaps wrote:

No, I don't think that's a part of a standard player contract. I've never heard of that outside a no-move clause, but a NMC is definitely not a part of an entry-level deal.

If I remember correctly, Nichuskin had a KHL contract. When it came time to sign with the Stars, his club let him out of the contract, but Nichuskin's condition to signing with the Stars was that he not go to the AHL. That was something he and his representatives negotiated - otherwise he would have just stayed in the KHL.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:53 am

Pronman from the Athletic put together a list of prospects who could be on the move at the trade deadline. Dallas had a guy make the list.

Julius Honka, D, Dallas
Honka is a very talented player which is why he was the 14th overall pick in 2014 by Dallas. He’s a player with high-end skating, skill and offensive IQ who can stand out on any given shift. He’s small though and has struggled defensively since he’s turned pro. While I think he’s looked good in Liiga, it’s fair to say he hasn’t been a dominant player in that league, which you’d like to see for a player his age (24), with his skill and speed. He just lined up with Finland’s national team for three games and didn’t particularly stand out there either. The NHL interest, I think, is limited for Honka. I personally think he could play in a sheltered third pair role on a second PP unit, but I don’t think there’s a big market for that kind of player at his age.

https://theathletic.com/1602523/2020/02 ... -deadline/

This is interesting because the Stars don't have a whole lot to offer up if they want to add a player at the deadline. Honka is a piece to move, but I have to think he has pretty much zero value. The Stars couldn't get even a third rounder for him all summer according to the various insiders. Now, Honka can't even come over to North America to play this season, so any team trading for him can't even put him on their NHL or AHL roster to see what he has.

Beyond that, I think Pronman is even overselling Honka's performance in Finland this season. If you go look up his stats, they aren't good at all. Honka is tied for 11th in scoring on his team. He's third in scoring among defenders on his team. I haven't followed his season at all, so I was expecting to find him tearing up this third or fourth tier league. But he's not. League-wide, he's tied for 134th in scoring. He's just a dude.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:43 pm

That's dumb.

5minmajor

Postby 5minmajor » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:47 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Pronman from the Athletic put together a list of prospects who could be on the move at the trade deadline. Dallas had a guy make the list.

Julius Honka, D, Dallas
Honka is a very talented player which is why he was the 14th overall pick in 2014 by Dallas. He’s a player with high-end skating, skill and offensive IQ who can stand out on any given shift. He’s small though and has struggled defensively since he’s turned pro ...……

League-wide, he's tied for 134th in scoring. He's just a dude.

A very small dude.
"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln