Loui/Smith/Fraser/Morrow to BOS for Seguin/Peverley/spare

wonko80

Re: Loui/Smith/Fraser/Morrow to BOS for Seguin/Peverley/spar

Postby wonko80 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:17 am

This is some nice big change for us. At the worst I think this trade is a draw, but really it's probably a win for both sides.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:51 am

How is HF reacting to this? I ask because I suggest traded Loui for a center the day before and there was much objection.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:55 am

More excitement than anything. Now that it's done, the few who think of Loui as Jere Part II haven't given in to this needing to be done.

The bigger fun is with the Stars dumping Larsen. There are a few holdouts who see Larsen as a future top 4 d-man who does big things on the power play. They're pissed.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:00 am

I like to think we traded Lehtinen II for Ribeiro II.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:21 am

BigAl wrote:I like to think we traded Lehtinen II for Ribeiro II.

Well said.
ScubaSteve wrote:Cody is the Glass Fatso we need. Kari is the Glass Fatso we deserve.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:49 am

Troy McClure wrote:More excitement than anything. Now that it's done, the few who think of Loui as Jere Part II haven't given in to this needing to be done.

The bigger fun is with the Stars dumping Larsen. There are a few holdouts who see Larsen as a future top 4 d-man who does big things on the power play. They're pissed.

Yes, but you're forgetting about that one time in that one game Larsen scored a PP goal. That *poo poo*'s got "Orr" written all over it.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:00 pm

ToddM wrote:Yes, but you're forgetting about that one time in that one game Larsen scored a PP goal. That *poo poo*'s got "Orr" written all over it.

I remember some big Larsen fan bringing that up during the season. The guy didn't remember that it was a shot going way off target that happened to hit a defender's stick and deflect in.

Philip Larsen can't even put up offense at Craig Ludwig's pace, and people want to hand him prime ice time and a top spot on the PP. All because they loved how he looked in the AHL.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:03 pm

Baby Lar had some talent. But he just didn't have enough size to use that bit of talent, imo.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:16 pm

I know the report about Seguin being sequestered in a hotel by the Bruins during the playoffs turned out to be jokes, but there are some amazing comments on the deadspin article.

"To make absolutely sure Seguin couldn't get past the guard, they put him in a Blackhawks jersey."
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:18 pm

Prediction: ScubaSteve will have the board hating Seguin by Christmas.
Last edited by B Kat on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:20 pm

Nope, I'm fine with Seguin. At least so far. We'll see if that changes when he gets here. I have successfully turned most of you against Benn, still working on Eakin.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:20 pm

Scuba's reign of terror isn't 100% victorious. He's failed at making his Eakin hate stick.

Besides, if the worst complaint about a guy is that he didn't perform well in the Finals... I'd sure love to see it for myself.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:24 pm

I still like both Benn and Eakin a great deal and recognize both have weaknesses.

Will we try to make a first line of young 20 something's by throwing Chiasson/Nich and Benn with Seguin or mix it up?

I feel like the Tyler move was perfect. Not quite sure what Horcoff is for.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:24 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Scuba's reign of terror isn't 100% victorious. He's failed at making his Eakin hate stick.

idk, Nill did just acquire 3 centers. :)

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:27 pm

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:I feel like the Tyler move was perfect. Not quite sure what Horcoff is for.

Agree. Think Harcoff is adding a veteran guy, pker (we rid Loui), and making the team harder to play against. Does seem like big amount of cap space, possibly even enough to handcuff the team if a good opportunity arose. Mighta waited 'til after the bulk of FA.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:29 pm

They can dump salary pretty quickly if needed. A guy like Cole could be thrown away for nothing and would free up some space. I think Cole is mostly useless, but some team would take him for future considerations.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:31 pm

Cole and Harcoff are similar now that you mention it. I think Cole is a very good player. He isn't scoring like he used to, but he's still fast and very hard. Sounds like a Nill guy. Cleary like, actually.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:32 pm

Horcoff is not just expensive for a third liner. He lacks the attributes IMO that help prevent goals and his offense is just a little better than your average third liner. Are we hoping to rejuvenate him as a second liner?

Actually I believe we are. Nill sees something in him that he thinks will work on our 2nd line.
Last edited by The Frugal Gourmet on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:36 pm

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:Are we hoping to rejuvenate him as a second liner?

I hope not. 3rd or 4th liner. Decent on face offs. Ability to roll 4 lines without worrying about a match up.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:40 pm

For the lower three lines you now have Fiddler, Eakin, Horcoff, and Peverley. We might have to wait and see what happens in camp once Ruff sees guys play before we know how it shakes out.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:41 pm

B Kat wrote:
The Frugal Gourmet wrote:Are we hoping to rejuvenate him as a second liner?

I hope not. 3rd or 4th liner. Decent on face offs. Ability to roll 4 lines without worrying about a match up.

I dunno. Thinking now that he is.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:46 pm

I think Peverley is more likely to be the 2nd line center over Horcoff. Even Eakin is more suited for the role.

CycloneGU

Postby CycloneGU » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:40 pm

I am % behind this trade.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:18 pm

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:Horcoff is not just expensive for a third liner. He lacks the attributes IMO that help prevent goals

I don't think that's entirely accurate. I believe he has been playing very difficult defensive minutes for the Oilers and doing pretty well at it.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:23 pm

Seguin's mom comes to his defense:

Enter Seguin’s mom, Jackie, in an interview with the Toronto Star:

“That’s not true,” Jackie said, adding that she and her husband, Paul, spent much time with their son in Boston during the Stanley Cup final.

“I know that for a fact,” she added, her voice rising. “The whole team lived in the hotel. That’s crap. Oh, my God. That’s stupid stuff. That’s very unfair to say that. He’s a professional. That makes me very angry.”

She said Tyler often didn’t even go out for dinner because he wanted to stay back in the team hotel in Boston.

Jackie went on to accuse the Bruins’ organization of launching a post-trade smear campaign against her son.

“Boston is now trying to justify why they’re getting rid of Tyler. Obviously, they don’t want a fan backlash against (general manager Peter) Chiarelli,” she said. “Now they’re making up stories.”

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013 ... p-stories/

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:10 pm

It is of course bs. I even recall the Bruins character assassination of Thornton.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:27 pm

That one I believe because he ended up a Shark.
ScubaSteve wrote:Cody is the Glass Fatso we need. Kari is the Glass Fatso we deserve.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:04 pm

Knives Out wrote:That one I believe because he ended up a Shark.

Before and after the trade, the Bruins tried very hard to underscore the fact that he was one of the best playmakers in the game. And as a Shark he has been a pretty reliable guy.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:26 pm

Ok, Nill has basically confirmed Peverly is the second line center. I didn't realize he was that good. I saw 42 points from the previous season and didn't realize he played 57 games. Or that he was mostly injured this season.

60% on face offs? Ok, he's my new favorite guy.

It also sounds like both Boston guys are genuinely super excited to be here because of the roles they will play.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:59 pm

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:
Knives Out wrote:That one I believe because he ended up a Shark.

Before and after the trade, the Bruins tried very hard to underscore the fact that he was one of the best playmakers in the game. And as a Shark he has been a pretty reliable guy.

Yeah, but as a babysitter? Pretty lousy effort here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4MPQWIZLjY[/youtube]