Loui/Smith/Fraser/Morrow to BOS for Seguin/Peverley/spare

Trotts19

Re: Loui/Smith/Fraser/Morrow to BOS for Seguin/Peverley/spar

Postby Trotts19 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:29 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:
atticus ross wrote:What was the Full Metal Jacket tweet?

What I found was:

@tylerseguin92

Only steers and queers in Texas, and I'm not a cow.

I'll bet someone pranked him. I don't think it's that bad. It's pretty common and often it's about the user being gay. Doesn't change my initial impressions of him at all. I still think he's going to be awesome for this team.

Similar line was used in An Officer and a Gentleman too
T19

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:01 am

Does Button project to be anything other than AHL filler? Button, Eakin, and Connauton were all selected within four picks in the 2009 3rd round.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:21 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Does Button project to be anything other than AHL filler? Button, Eakin, and Connauton were all selected within four picks in the 2009 3rd round.

He's a high reward/low risk addition. He's apparently got the same offensive skill set as Dougie Hamilton, but also a complete inability to put it together. His nickname is The Enigma, which may be the first time I've heard that term used to describe someone who wasn't Russian. He probably won't amount to much, but then again, he might become the next Torey Krug.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:23 pm

I can't wait until he makes it to the NHL and does an interview where he says his favorite player growing up was Brenden Dillon.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:55 pm

Button has a total of 3 points in 60 AHL games. So I guess you could say he has unlimited upside.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm

That's almost dividing by zero.

Jason

Postby Jason » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:05 pm

Fluto Shinzawa @GlobeFluto 6h
Loui Eriksson said it was easy decision to waive NTC. Had off year, looking to improve.
Eriksson notes regular coaching changes in Dallas. Ruff would have been his fourth (Gulutzan, Crawford, Tippett).

Fluto Shinzawa @GlobeFluto
Seguin recalled Bruins were in Dallas on New Year's Eve last year. Saw city little bit.
Bruins will miss Peverley. Played on every line, all situations. Good on draw. Just too much $$$.
Dallas GM Jim Nill expects Seguin to take leadership role.
Ruff emphasizes need for patience with young centers.

starsfan18

Postby starsfan18 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:29 pm

Ruff emphasizes need for patience with young centers.

It's good to hear that he doesn't want to be - Ruff - with them.

YEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Jason

Postby Jason » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:12 pm

Bruins gave up on Seguin too soon.

The Bruins gave up on Seguin too soon, trading him July 4 to the Dallas Stars and confining him to the dustbin of failed face-of-the-franchise forwards along with Joe Thornton and Phil Kessel after just three seasons. He needed more time and more tough love to grow as a person and a player in Boston. He was too young and too talented to send packing post-haste after one lukewarm season, one feckless playoff run, and one too many late nights.

Seguin’s exile to Texas shows a lack of growth and commitment by both sides, and the aftermath of the trade has been undignified with anonymous tales of Seguin’s misdeeds paired with Seguin’s parents sniping back at the Bruins.

But flogging Seguin for not scoring more in the playoffs should come replete with some context. After being demoted from the second line for Game 7 of the Toronto series, he spent most of the playoffs riding on the third line with Chris Kelly and Peverley, neither of whom displayed a pucks pulse until the Stanley Cup Final.

But the difference in the Cup Final was a player with a skill set, albeit more refined, and a penchant for partying not all that different from Seguin’s — the Blackhawks’ Patrick Kane. Seguin has plenty of talent and the type of talent that’s not easy to find. The Bruins should have waited a little longer for it and Seguin to come of age.

5minmajor

Postby 5minmajor » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:49 pm

"exile to Texas".

*f-bomb* you, Boston.
"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:42 pm

After being in Boston, it likely will feel like exile.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:27 pm

Exile from the playoffs.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:21 pm

Like I said earlier, I'm old now. I can remember Boston dissing Joe Thornton on the way out. He was too expensive and was not the franchise piece they needed. That was back when Boston sucked every year for like 15 years straight and we could've called any player going there exile too. You took pity on guys like Borque because they had to play their whole careers for that shitty team.

I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now.

Maybe this is our Thornton. Maybe not but its worth a shot.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:31 pm

Yea, they trashed both Thornton and Kessel pretty hard on the way out.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:35 pm

Oh and as far as the Twitter thing. There seems to be widespread condemnation of the homophobic slur but since Seguin also came out of the closet as gay isn't it ok? I mean *they* can use the term, right?

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Yeah, that's what I don't get. He pretty much called himself gay with the tweet.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:42 pm

An under reported aspect of the story.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:55 pm

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:Like I said earlier, I'm old now. I can remember Boston dissing Joe Thornton on the way out. He was too expensive and was not the franchise piece they needed. That was back when Boston sucked every year for like 15 years straight and we could've called any player going there exile too. You took pity on guys like Borque because they had to play their whole careers for that shitty team.

I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now.

Maybe this is our Thornton. Maybe not but its worth a shot.

I get suspicious when no one really mentions anything until a player is gone, then all of a sudden there were all these issues and he just had to go. Sports writers are pretty good at their job, and if there is an issue with a player and a team, it's probably going to come out. Highly suspicious when it's only after a trade that it all comes out.

Besides, like you said, what was Dallas going to do, pass on the better-than-even shot at a star #1 center? Based on Loui's comments, he didn't seem too thrilled about being in Dallas anymore anyway. If that's the case, better for both of them. Seguin likely just needs a firm hand by the team and veterans, combined with the opportunity to really excel, which he was never going to get behind Krejci and Bergeron.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:10 pm

Anyone who thinks he wrote it is a moron.

Yes, the joke is that he's gay. Yes, that's homophobic or whatever, but it's 100% standard drunk guy comedy.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:11 pm

I don't understand how it implies fear of homosexuals. If anything, it implies he's comfortable in a place full of them.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:31 pm

Eh, I get it. When you trash your own player, you undercut hit trade value. That's how we ended up getting only a 4th liner and a pick for Ribeiro, who is pretty top end center when he's trying.

We're on the other side of it this time, only Boston was smart enough to wait til after the deal was done.
Last edited by ScubaSteve on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:31 pm

I think he just means he's "gay," you know, "happy and carefree," to be in Texas.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:54 am

Troy McClure wrote:Yes, the joke is that he's gay. Yes, that's homophobic or whatever, but it's 100% standard drunk guy comedy.

Agreed except for the fact that it's "homophobic". I'd be willing to bet that the dude's friends are not one wit afraid of gay people. Certainly not irrationally as the psychiatric term would imply.

Words are not *fargin'* magical spells.

And if I say "*Dang ol'*" sometimes I'm not literally damning God to hell. And I have I use the word retard it's because I am one, not because I have an intense hatred of the mentally slow.

And there are no such things as racist terms. I promise you this. Words cannot be racist.

The kind of bullshit drives me nuts, I swear it. But I'm not literally cursing here so nobody get their panties in a twist.

Jeezus.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:35 am

Troy McClure wrote:Anyone who thinks he wrote it is a moron.

Yes, the joke is that he's gay. Yes, that's homophobic or whatever, but it's 100% standard drunk guy comedy.

Exactly. This isn't Sean Avery 2.0.

Also, is he actually gay? If that is true, then it's even less of an issue. It's like black guys calling each other the n word. They're allowed to.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:12 am

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:Yes, the joke is that he's gay. Yes, that's homophobic or whatever, but it's 100% standard drunk guy comedy.

Agreed except for the fact that it's "homophobic". I'd be willing to bet that the dude's friends are not one wit afraid of gay people. Certainly not irrationally as the psychiatric term would imply.

And if I say "*Dang ol'*" sometimes I'm not literally damning God to hell. And I have I use the word retard it's because I am one, not because I have an intense hatred of the mentally slow.

And there are no such things as racist terms. I promise you this. Words cannot be racist.

The kind of bullshit drives me nuts, I swear it. But I'm not literally cursing here so nobody get their panties in a twist.

Jeezus.

I hear you, but Seguin is going to spend part of today rehearsing his public apology. There's no getting around the fact that a lot of people are constantly on the lookout for any word or phrase that might possibly offend someone. However those words are actually meant, the immediate conclusion is racism or homophobia. It's lazy, but the language police have no interest in context.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:42 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
The Frugal Gourmet wrote:

Jeezus.

I hear you, but Seguin is going to spend part of today rehearsing his public apology. There's no getting around the fact that a lot of people are constantly on the lookout for any word or phrase that might possibly offend someone. However those words are actually meant, the immediate conclusion is racism or homophobia. It's lazy, but the language police have no interest in context.

That's because they're morons.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:55 pm

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2013/7/10/ ... a-partying

In fact, Tyler Seguin put the puck on net 70 times in the playoffs overall -- second on the Bruins only to Patrice Bergeron (71) and No. 6 overall among all players in the postseason. Seguin accomplished this despite averaging nearly five minutes of ice time less per game than the top shot-producers in the postseason. Seguin's possession numbers were more than adequate, not as good as the regular season but far from sub-par to the point of worry. So why was Seguin dumped upon so heavily by the fans and media in the wake of the Cup loss and the trade?

Seguin enjoyed just a 1.4 percent shot percentage in the postseason, scoring just one goal all the way through to the Cup Final. His production fell off a cliff when the team needed it the most, and instantly stories began to surface as to why such troubles had befallen such a promising young player in the postseason.

Sounds like Seguin just had a rough patch at the wrong time. I'm sure less minutes and being used out of position didn't help. But 1.4% is absurd. It has to be just an aberration.

Jason

Postby Jason » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:54 pm

Saw this posted.
Don Cherry ‏@CoachsCornerCBC
1) I really don't know what happened in Boston. They traded Seguin to Dallas not because of his on ice abilities. Indicating he has issues
2) and they had a guard on him at the hotel room during the playoffs. What a thing to say. Even if it's true, which it's not, why say it to
3) hurt the kid? I guess the people of Boston were ticked off about the trade. Hurting a 21 year old kid and his family. If I were 21 years
4) old and had no where to go after a game I'd be in a bar. Eriksson's a good player, he got 12 goals. Seguin had 16. Eriksson was a -9,
5) believe it or not Seguin was a +23. Seguin was ticked, he's a natural centreman who scored 30 goals the previous year on the wing. They
6) bring in Jagr to play the wing and he starts the powerplay and Seguin gets the last 15 seconds. They gave up on him too soon.
7) I remember the Rangers gave up on Rick Middleton too soon. He was 22. Believe it or not Ricky came to Boston cause John Ferguson caught
8) him out late a few times. Almost the same thing. Seguin will go to Dallas and be a superstar playing his natural spot at centre.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:43 am

I can't believe that Don Effing Cherry sounds like the voice of reason.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:49 am

That's only because Seguin is a Toronto kid. If his name was Seguinov, Cherry would be joining in the crotch kicking.