GM Joe's last rites; a stinking Red Wing to be hired

slaps

Re: GM Joe's last rites; a stinking Red Wing to be hired

Postby slaps » Fri May 03, 2013 12:00 am

Also, we need centers. Teams that barely scraped into the playoffs are, by definition, better than us. So yes, I would like to see what their table scraps can do for us.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri May 03, 2013 12:05 am

slaps wrote:Also, we need centers. Teams that barely scraped into the playoffs are, by definition, better than us. So yes, I would like to see what their table scraps can do for us.

We need a great center, though. Aren't we staying in a holding pattern continuing to get centers about the same level? Hell, Ribeiro's significantly better than both those guys. Our current #1 and #2 centers already are.

And yes, these teams are better than us. A couple of wins better. But don't regard these guys as that critical, really. You're getting the second or third tier from a team only a few wins better than us.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Fri May 03, 2013 12:09 am

Yeah Filpulla clearly sucks. Nobody the Stars have is capable of generating that assist he just produced.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri May 03, 2013 12:09 am

Eh, I'd be happy with an average true center just to put Benn back at wing. Don't go all Leino on the deal, but I think it would be worth it. True depth down the middle works wonders.

It does sound like center depth is Nill's biggest priority.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri May 03, 2013 12:12 am

ScubaSteve wrote:Yeah Filpulla clearly sucks. Nobody the Stars have is capable of generating that assist he just produced.

Flippula has played 6 full NHL seasons and has produced at a below 40 point pace for 5 of them (including this one).

Seriously. Are you effing kidding me here?

Steve Ott produces similar numbers.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri May 03, 2013 12:12 am

The Stars need a great center, but there are none hitting free agency. That's why these terrible options are being tossed out.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Jason

Postby Jason » Fri May 03, 2013 12:14 am

slaps wrote:Also, we need centers. Teams that barely scraped into the playoffs are, by definition, better than us. So yes, I would like to see what their table scraps can do for us.

This team needs real talent, not players who are just marginal improvements. Bozak can definitely help out the team, while I'd rather have him over most of the free agent options at center he's not going to make that much of a difference. Not to mention he's going to cost probably close to $5 million to sign.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri May 03, 2013 12:14 am

Troy McClure wrote:The Stars need a great center, but there are none hitting free agency. That's why these terrible options are being tossed out.

The idea is to get centers actually better than the crap we have, though. That's just my opinion.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Fri May 03, 2013 12:15 am

Troy McClure wrote:The Stars need a great center, but there are none hitting free agency. That's why these terrible options are being tossed out.

This year's UFA crop sucks balls. The only guys anybody would really want are guys we've shipped out in the last year.

And we'd be giving up premium draft picks or creating even bigger holes elsewhere to get an elite center. The only real option is to continue on with this shitty group for another year or two and hope you can luck into a Thornton trade.
Last edited by ScubaSteve on Fri May 03, 2013 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri May 03, 2013 12:16 am

Yes. And I understand we have money to throw around too. You feel like you should at least throw it at something.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri May 03, 2013 12:17 am

Is this where I mention that we had Roy, reused to pay him even though we are going to have to pay dearly for a center, and Jason shits all over Roy for reasons that are still unclear?

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri May 03, 2013 12:18 am

Jason wrote:This team needs real talent, not players who are just marginal improvements. Bozak can definitely help out the team, while I'd rather have him over most of the free agent options at center he's not going to make that much of a difference. Not to mention he's going to cost probably close to $5 million to sign.

I think Bozak would be an upgrade over Cody Eakin. And for $5 million/season, he might get us a couple more wins. And, truth to be told, it ain't my money. So.....

It just seems like a spinning our wheels type move.
Last edited by The Frugal Gourmet on Fri May 03, 2013 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri May 03, 2013 12:19 am

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:

The idea is to get centers actually better than the crap we have, though. That's just my opinion.

I know. The Stars are in the terrible position of having infinite cap room and a glaring need yet with no good player out here to acquire.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri May 03, 2013 12:19 am

Troy McClure wrote:I know. The Stars are in the terrible position of having infinite cap room and a glaring need yet with no good player out here to acquire.

It really is a strange feeling.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri May 03, 2013 12:22 am

For all our bitching about having no owner, finally having that big checkbook again will not yield any improvement this offseason.

Damn annoying.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Fri May 03, 2013 12:27 am

Hopefully Uncle Sather will buy out Richards, because I really don't see any other options out there.

Jason

Postby Jason » Fri May 03, 2013 12:29 am

ScubaSteve wrote:This year's UFA crop sucks balls. The only guys anybody would really want are guys we've shipped out in the last year.

The best option would be just to sign Jagr to a one year deal. That way you're not tied into some terrible contract. He'll provide the best offense of anyone in free agency for next season. It gives the Stars freedom to for when a team needs to trade a center, they'll have plenty of cap space to take on the contract.

Some teams with potential centers available, with the exception of the Flyers none of the teams are in cap problems.
While Colorado isn't in cap problems, it makes sense for them to move Paul Stastny this off-season. Stastny only has one year left on his contract and Colorado has O'Reilly and Duchene. Another trade option is Sam Gagner from Edmonton, he'll be a UFA either after next season or the following one. Edmonton wants to get a bigger down the middle.

I don't think the Stars are the right fit with a trade for the Flyers for Sean Couturier it has to be a hockey trade. Devils have a lot of centers to, so someone's probably available there. Carolina has a lot of center depth.

It will be interesting to see what the Rangers are going to do to. The have Stepan, acquired Brassard and have Richards. I think Richards is going to be bought out, so that's a definite option in the short-term if Richards is indeed bought out.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri May 03, 2013 4:14 am

Troy McClure wrote:
I just don't buy that stat you're quoting as telling the whole story. Sorry. It's a cute number, but save that crap for baseball.

What's so "cute" about goals allowed? That's one of the two most important stats in hockey.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri May 03, 2013 4:16 am

Who says we need to rush Benn off the wing? So he had a bad year: he was still pretty good by any standard other than on faceoffs. He seemed to click well with Whitney, with whom he played all of 12 games. Put them with Chiasson for a full season and see what you get before spending idiotic money on Bozak or some other stiff. Then see which centers will be available in 2014. Malkin will be one, most likely.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Fri May 03, 2013 7:17 am

I don't get the sense that Gaglardi is one to make a signing just because they have money available. So if they sign a guy, it will be because they think he is a good fit or at least a good transition player to when someone else can be signed or a young guy makes the transition.

slaps

Postby slaps » Sat May 04, 2013 12:08 am

Nill said his decision on Gulutzan won't be quick, but he's not going to drag it out either.

End of next week, maybe.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat May 04, 2013 7:05 am

Surely he's not going to keep him. I mean....come on....
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

CycloneGU

Postby CycloneGU » Sat May 04, 2013 8:06 am

He needs to decide how much the severance pay will be. A million sounds normal.

Cyclone

Trotts19

Postby Trotts19 » Sat May 04, 2013 9:28 am

I don't know if the new JN will be any good or not and right now I really don't care.
Joe, as I see it, has really only had 1/2 a season as an unrestricted GM some dislike some of his deals, but some HAD TO BE MADE and I don't believe there were better offers than what occurred.
As far as the Gogo/Neal trade, yeah, it didn't work out like anybody wanted, but that's how hockey go.
Neal would never have become here what he is in Pitt imho
Too immature, too selfish, a trade was probably the only thing that could have woke him up, benching certainly didn't
T19

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat May 04, 2013 10:05 am

What woke Neal up is playing with one of the best centers in the world. No way Neal is near this successful in Dallas.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

slaps

Postby slaps » Sat May 04, 2013 10:12 am

I'm so *fargin'* sick of the Neal Trade. Goligoski hasn't been 100% of what we need, but he's been pretty damn good lately. Hopefully he can stay consistent. But Neal was a streaky, 25-goal a season guy. He still is, unless he is playing next to the best setup man in the world.

I fully agree with Todd's assessment of this trade. Hopefully, Goligoski can stay consistent and new management will sort of reset the massive crush of expectations he got hit with as soon as he got here. If he stays consistent and gets paired with someone who can actually defend well, that's a winning pair right there.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sat May 04, 2013 10:27 am

Actually, the end of this season is the best I've ever felt about the Goligoski trade. Goligoski still can't play defense, but at least he can put up numbers like the best of them.

Trotts19

Postby Trotts19 » Sat May 04, 2013 10:52 am

slaps wrote:I'm so *fargin'* sick of the Neal Trade. Goligoski hasn't been 100% of what we need, but he's been pretty damn good lately. Hopefully he can stay consistent. But Neal was a streaky, 25-goal a season guy. He still is, unless he is playing next to the best setup man in the world.

I fully agree with Todd's assessment of this trade. Hopefully, Goligoski can stay consistent and new management will sort of reset the massive crush of expectations he got hit with as soon as he got here. If he stays consistent and gets paired with someone who can actually defend well, that's a winning pair right there.

Personally, I never have had a problem with the trade. I like what Goligoski brings.
Neal doesn't play well when he is not happy with his roll
T19

slaps

Postby slaps » Sat May 04, 2013 11:57 am

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:Actually, the end of this season is the best I've ever felt about the Goligoski trade. Goligoski still can't play defense, but at least he can put up numbers like the best of them.

I agree with Todd, pairing him with Dillon worked real well. Goligoski can roam and create, Dillon can cover for his defense deficiencies. Assuming they don't try and get Dillon to start making offense, which would be a mistake. They need to play to strengths.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Sat May 04, 2013 12:01 pm

I agree with myself about the Goligoski trade.