Texas Stars and prospects thread

User avatar
Knives Out
Posts: 18214
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 pm
Location: TO via MTL

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby Knives Out » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:01 am

B Kat wrote:
Knives Out wrote:I will be attending Game 7 on Thursday if the Stars can win Game 6 ...

If happened. :)

Game 7 tickets acquired!
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 14810
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby ToddM » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:22 am

One_Timer wrote:
ToddM wrote:McKenna with 43 saves on 45 shots the day after sucking ass.


That shorty by Sheldon shut them up. Who is this kid? Very fast with a nose for the net.


Dries has had a great playoffs, and has probably earned some fourth line NHL minutes somewhere.

User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 43787
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:29 am

wait. The Texas Stars are in the playoffs?

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 43616
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:27 am

I can't wait for this Calder Cup to end. Every time I fire up Twitter, all I'm doing is scrolling past 100 *fargin'* tweets about the AHL. I don't go to Twitter for AHL play by play. I go to Twitter for breaking news, dick jokes, and hit chicks.

Maybe what I really need to do is stop following five Stars reporters who are all blasting out the same info in unison. The Twitter echo from these guys is becoming unbearable.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 14810
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby ToddM » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:35 am

You go on twitter to hit chicks?

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 36870
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:43 am

There's no way there are 5 people covering the Stars. It's three at the most.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 43616
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:10 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:There's no way there are 5 people covering the Stars. It's three at the most.

I have Heika, Mark, Sevy, and the Dallas Stars official feed all tweeting identical info. Then there is Shapiro from the Athletic over analyzing every shift taken by a bunch of dudes who will never play in the NHL. Mix in those guys all retweeting *poo poo*, and you have hundreds of tweets for each AHL game.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 43787
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:37 pm

If I could describe my frustration about this in one word it would be "mammoth-strewn".

User avatar
cdanew
Posts: 4232
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:43 pm

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby cdanew » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:04 pm

Troy McClure wrote:I can't wait for this Calder Cup to end. Every time I fire up Twitter, all I'm doing is scrolling past 100 *fargin'* tweets about the AHL. I don't go to Twitter for AHL play by play. I go to Twitter for breaking news, dick jokes, and hit chicks.

Maybe what I really need to do is stop following five Stars reporters who are all blasting out the same info in unison. The Twitter echo from these guys is becoming unbearable.


You do know you can mute certain words or phrases on Twitter, right? Even if you don't want to mute the person.

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 14810
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby ToddM » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:09 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
ScubaSteve wrote:There's no way there are 5 people covering the Stars. It's three at the most.

I have Heika, Mark, Sevy, and the Dallas Stars official feed all tweeting identical info. Then there is Shapiro from the Athletic over analyzing every shift taken by a bunch of dudes who will never play in the NHL. Mix in those guys all retweeting *poo poo*, and you have hundreds of tweets for each AHL game.


Shapiro is at least interesting, writing about stuff no one else does. You could safely nix all those others guys and not miss a single *Dang ol'* thing.

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 43616
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:11 pm

cdanew wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:I can't wait for this Calder Cup to end. Every time I fire up Twitter, all I'm doing is scrolling past 100 *fargin'* tweets about the AHL. I don't go to Twitter for AHL play by play. I go to Twitter for breaking news, dick jokes, and hit chicks.

Maybe what I really need to do is stop following five Stars reporters who are all blasting out the same info in unison. The Twitter echo from these guys is becoming unbearable.


You do know you can mute certain words or phrases on Twitter, right? Even if you don't want to mute the person.

No, I wasn't aware of this. Holy crap. Problem solved. Thanks!

So I'll mute Calder. Can't really mute Texas or Stars. Guess I could add Cedar Park.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 43616
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:13 pm

ToddM wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:
ScubaSteve wrote:There's no way there are 5 people covering the Stars. It's three at the most.

I have Heika, Mark, Sevy, and the Dallas Stars official feed all tweeting identical info. Then there is Shapiro from the Athletic over analyzing every shift taken by a bunch of dudes who will never play in the NHL. Mix in those guys all retweeting *poo poo*, and you have hundreds of tweets for each AHL game.


Shapiro is at least interesting, writing about stuff no one else does. You could safely nix all those others guys and not miss a single *Dang ol'* thing.

True. There was a time when they'd break different stories, but now all it became was three accounts all posting the lines from warmups one after the other. I never followed Burnside because I never saw him share anything I didn't already know.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 36870
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:12 pm

They are who we didn’t even care enough to figure out who they were.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 43787
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:14 pm

I take it we won.

User avatar
B Kat
Posts: 14498
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:36 pm

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby B Kat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:14 am

ScubaSteve wrote:They are who we didn’t even care enough to figure out who they were.

Prolly pretty lucky to make it all the way to game 7 w/one veteran line and a veteran goalie.

Sorry Cody. At least it was a good game until late.

User avatar
Knives Out
Posts: 18214
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 pm
Location: TO via MTL

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby Knives Out » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:19 am

:gulp

And once again Scarlett was brutal.

And LOL only one penalty called all game (against the Stars).
The refs weren't calling shiiiiit for Game 7 and it was awesome.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 43616
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:51 am

One prospect scouting kind of website ranks the Stars prospect pool 23rd overall, but it sure seems like they'd be at least five spots lower if Heiskanen wasn't on the list. Their overall grade for their farm system is a D.

This doesn't count the players just drafted because this ranking is only grading guys who have played at least a year post draft.

23. Dallas Stars, D

Rank (21.8)

The Stars scored pretty low as a result of having an underwhelming top ten group outside of Miro Heiskanen. The roster lacks any U21 players to boost the score and their overall depth is weak. Fortunately for Dallas they have several roster players recently graduated in Radek Faksa, Brett Ritchie, Esa Lindell, and Julius Honka that are all under 25-years-old which diminishes the sense of urgency to rush and develop their current prospect pool. Despite the fact their AHL affiliate had a long playoff run reaching the AHL finals, there is little help on the brink of joining the big club in big D from Texas. Peter Harling

There certainly is some disappointment with this potential but Dallas could have some size coming with their skill real soon. I don’t know if even Dallas fans are ready for how good Heiskanen is. Joel Henderson

Top Ten Prospects

1 Miro Heiskanen
2 Denis Guryanov
3 Valeri Nichushkin
4 Colton Point
5 Jake Oettinger
6 Jason Robertson
7 Riley Tufte
8 Roope Hintz
9 Gavin Bayreuther
10 Nicholas Caamano
U21 Roster Players: Noen

Other notable prospects: Jason Dickinson, Brett Davis


https://dobberprospects.com/2018-19-org ... -rankings/

There are only five NHL teams with no players under 21 on their roster. The Stars are one of those five.

My Heiskanen boner is about to pop. I'm going to lose my *poo poo* when he starts the season in the AHL all because Nill *fargin'* sucks at managing his roster.

The success of the AHL team was driven entirely by veteran AHLers. The players the Stars consider prospects were all shitty.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 31652
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby slaps » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:08 pm

https://www.defendingbigd.com/2018/7/3/ ... des-grades

But let’s consider worst case scenario. If Dallas doesn’t sign Comeau, would the risk of a prospect going bust in the bottom six be a tangible detriment to the team’s success? Unless the player is actively sabotaging the team each shift the way Zac Rinaldo does, or is doing stuff like this [edit - youtube.com/watch?v=Pi_eGSHViNM], I don’t see how.

So not only is there little risk in playing the younger forwards, but the reward is more significant than the on-ice results: it’s having a viable asset. Teams don’t trade valuable roster players for what-ifs (unless it’s a first-round draft pick). They trade them for certified contributors. Max Domi was an asset. Noah Hanifan was an asset. Elias Lindholm was an asset. Adam Larsson was an asset. That’s the value — no matter how superficial — of being a high draft pick with NHL experience.

Dallas could find out if Dickinson, Hintz, Smith, Heatherington, etc. are assets, but they don’t seem interested in finding out. Instead they’re intent on signing the next Adam Cracknell, Lauri Korpikoski, Jiri Hudler, or Travis Moen.

Unlike Dallas’ prospects, those players are no longer a part of the organization. Meanwhile, the players who have developed within Dallas’ system for years are swimming upstream.

Maybe that’s the source of skepticism. If Dallas can’t trust their young players to be tasked with roles at the NHL level, then what does that say about the organization’s drafting and development? As I said, I think Dallas will be sneaky good next season (call it Heiskanen’s Law, if you will), and I think having a coach let players play to their strengths with the puck will go a long way.

Free agency could have been worse. A lot worse. But why set the bar at kill-crazy dinosaurs in the first place? If the kids aren’t alright, maybe it’s the adults that need to resolve their issues too.

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 14810
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby ToddM » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:10 pm

Yep.

User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 43787
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:50 pm

That's a lengthy way to describe the most obvious thing ever.

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 31652
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby slaps » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:59 pm

The Frugal Gourmet wrote: the most obvious thing ever.


Except to Nill.

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 36870
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby ScubaSteve » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:22 pm

Dude, we’ve already found out. Every prospect listed here has a big bag of nothing. Otherwise we wouldn’t have had to sign a bunch of 4th line journeymen. Don’t act like these jobbers who have put up less than 20 points for three straight years just need more time to mature. They are what they are.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 31652
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby slaps » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:25 pm

Cue Todd with his example of one player in NHL history who suddenly exploded after 13 years of mediocre production and was thenceforth awesome.

User avatar
cdanew
Posts: 4232
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:43 pm

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby cdanew » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:30 pm

slaps wrote:Cue Todd with his example of one player in NHL history who suddenly exploded after 13 years of mediocre production and was thenceforth awesome.


Vegas Golden Knights (ok, not 13 years, but sometimes players need opportunities and coaches like Hitch and Ruff aren't the kind to give those guys opportunities)

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 31652
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby slaps » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:33 pm

You're not Todd. Shut up.

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 43616
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:36 pm

cdanew wrote:
slaps wrote:Cue Todd with his example of one player in NHL history who suddenly exploded after 13 years of mediocre production and was thenceforth awesome.


Vegas Golden Knights (ok, not 13 years, but sometimes players need opportunities and coaches like Hitch and Ruff aren't the kind to give those guys opportunities)

William Karlsson is the strangest story in NHL history. He has never put up impressive numbers at any level, and he went crazy this season.

There are other late bloomers. Todd Bertuzzi. Martin St. Louis. John LeClair. But those guys scored in big numbers in lower leagues prior to hitting the NHL. Karlsson was just a dude in the AHL.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
B Kat
Posts: 14498
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:36 pm

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby B Kat » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:50 pm

There is still plenty of hope for Heiskenen, Hintz, Tufte, Robertson and Caamano. Perhaps the goalies as well.

User avatar
cdanew
Posts: 4232
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:43 pm

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby cdanew » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:00 pm

Troy McClure wrote:William Karlsson is the strangest story in NHL history. He has never put up impressive numbers at any level, and he went crazy this season.


If this was baseball I would point to steroids. I've got no explanation. The most goals he ever scored at any level was 20 in 38 games for a Swedish junior league team.

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 43616
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:03 pm

But can roids help that much with hand eye coordination? I get it with baseball where added strength can turn a fly out to a homerun, but Karlsson was scoring pretty goals.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 10662
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: Texas Stars and prospects thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:32 pm

Angel dust might do it.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 9 guests