Re: Stars sign Jagr

Postby ScubaSteve » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:58 pm

So you're telling me there's a chance?
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

CycloneGU

Postby CycloneGU » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:02 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:So you're telling me there's a chance?

No, wait. That was wrong. Sign him for *fargin'* more than he's worth and trade him when we miss the playoffs again.

Cyclone

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:07 pm

Between his insane post-Cup contract and this one with the Rangers, he might have been the highest paid player of the past eight years. In all that time, he essentially turned two great seasons into damn near $100 million. It's not his fault GMs overpaid him, but on the bang for your buck scale, Richards might have been one of the worst investments in modern hockey history.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

starsfan18

Postby starsfan18 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:24 am

ToddM wrote:
ScubaSteve wrote:
Knives Out wrote:After losing Ribs, Fisty, Ryder and Morrow, I can honestly say that Jagr is the only player on our team that I actually give a *poo poo* about. I literally feel nothing for anybody else.

I went through a dark period after we lost Richards where I genuinely hated or was indifferent towards almost every player on the roster. Loui has grown on me though, and I am continually in awe of Jagr. Whitney has been a really dependable player for a long time that I draft in fantasy hockey every year, but I'm not getting invested with him.

In unrelated news, the Rangers might pay Brad Richards $24 million this summer not to play for them anymore.

Sauce?

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:56 am

A few articles I found mentioned it. But they also said it's too early to really tell what will happen. It depends on if he picks it up or not. He had an okay season last year. 66 points in 82 games, but certainly not on par with his salary. Funny. Did the Stars dodge a bullet there?
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

starsfan18

Postby starsfan18 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:22 am

He wasn't going to sign with us anyway.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:34 am

SaintAngerBH wrote:A few articles I found mentioned it. But they also said it's too early to really tell what will happen. It depends on if he picks it up or not. He had an okay season last year. 66 points in 82 games, but certainly not on par with his salary. Funny. Did the Stars dodge a bullet there?

No. The Stars have no cap crunch on the horizon. They could absorb his bad contract with ease.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

CycloneGU

Postby CycloneGU » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:37 am

SaintAngerBH wrote:A few articles I found mentioned it. But they also said it's too early to really tell what will happen. It depends on if he picks it up or not. He had an okay season last year. 66 points in 82 games, but certainly not on par with his salary. Funny. Did the Stars dodge a bullet there?

Did we avoid heavily overpaying someone for a mediocre season?

Yes.

Cyclone

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:25 am

Troy McClure wrote:

No. The Stars have no cap crunch on the horizon. They could absorb his bad contract with ease.

In the new CBA, aren't teams allowed to eat some of the $ in order to trade a player? Since you can't bury bad contracts in the minors and get cap relief any more.

Also, Dillion is my man. I loved him the minute I saw him skate at the last TC tourney. It's on record. :)

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:27 am

Big time.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:28 am

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:

Big time.

Thank God we were able to use all that cap space to our advantage.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:29 am

That's what's so frustrating. All this money and no willingness to spend it.

Or even make a good trade with it and capitalize on someone else's screwedness.

starsfan18

Postby starsfan18 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:31 am

How funny would it be if we sent Brenden away and traded for Iginla?

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:31 am

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:That's what's so frustrating. All this money and no willingness to spend it.

Or even make a good trade with it and capitalize on someone else's screwedness.

Knowing what we did otherwise with the money - nothing - I'd rather have Richards.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:33 am

Richards didn't love us. We all just have to get over it and move on.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:33 am

Hmmm... nothing vs. Richards, eh? It's a tough call.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:51 am

Jerk.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:57 am

I'm kidding.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:12 am

You're so mean all the time.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:13 am

It doesn't mean I don't love you.

CycloneGU

Postby CycloneGU » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:27 am

Kiss and make up boys.

starsfan18 wrote:How funny would it be if we sent Brenden away and traded for Iginla?

Not on the short list. Ain't happening.

Cyclone

starsfan18

Postby starsfan18 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:34 am

CycloneGU wrote:Kiss and make up boys.

starsfan18 wrote:How funny would it be if we sent Brenden away and traded for Iginla?

Not on the short list. Ain't happening.

Cyclone

I didn't place odds on it happening, I said how funny it would be.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:40 am

No way the Stars go after Iginla. We're not even on his short list of teams he'd be willing to go to.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:43 am

Question: Are we on the short list of teams Iginla would be traded to?

CycloneGU

Postby CycloneGU » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:43 am

SaintAngerBH wrote:No way the Stars go after Iginla. We're not even on his short list of teams he'd be willing to go to.

Are you in the habit of repeating what I say lately? Feels like I have another shadow.

Cyclone

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:57 am

Sorry, I'm set to ignore your posts by default because they always involve some minor league *poo poo* team that only you care about.

:Giggle:

Leonardo da Vinci

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:28 am

But what if we sweetened the pot and offered him the GM job too?

CycloneGU

Postby CycloneGU » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:46 am

SaintAngerBH wrote:Sorry, I'm set to ignore your posts by default because they always involve some minor league *poo poo* team that only you care about.

So you ignore all of my posts because you don't like the one in 275 posts that talk about something other than the Stars?

Jerk. :P

Cyclone

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:08 pm

It's more of a money thing than a playing thing, altho having 12 assists this deep into the season despite all the PP time and $7 million linemates is troubling. The big reason is his insane contract, and the fact that the cap is going down by $6-7 million next season. That means the Rangers will have to chuck either Brad or Gaborik over the side of the ship, or both, just to sign the guys they already have. Since neither has remotely lived up to their contracts..and are getting old... it seems like a sensible thing. $24 million is just walking around money for Glen Sather anyways.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:13 pm

CycloneGU wrote:
SaintAngerBH wrote:Sorry, I'm set to ignore your posts by default because they always involve some minor league *poo poo* team that only you care about.

So you ignore all of my posts because you don't like the one in 275 posts that talk about something other than the Stars?

Jerk. :P

Cyclone

Now you're catching on....

Leonardo da Vinci