Official NHL 2008 Off Season Talk

Jason

Re: Official NHL 2008 Off Season Talk

Postby Jason » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:14 pm

Rotoworld

Atlanta's defense corps is going to be much more proactive at both ends of the ice, according to new bench boss John Anderson.
The Thrashers' 'D' will press the opposition at the blueline and seek opportunities offensively as well. This should benefit the team's more offensive rearguards, like sophomore Tobias Enstrom and the newly signed Ron Hainsey.
Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Luke Schenn will receive every opportunity to make the Leafs' opening day roster out of training camp, but the team will not rush him.
"He'll be given every chance to make the team," said general manager Cliff Fletcher. "When you look back historically Toronto's been a graveyard for young defensemen that maybe shouldn't have been integrated into the NHL lineup as early as they were. We're not going to make that mistake." Toronto moved up to fifth spot in the 2008 draft to select the defensive defender. He is a great prospect, but with Toronto's current logjam on defense and the fear of using him too early lingering, Schenn will probably remain in junior this season.
Source: Toronto Star

Curtis Joseph is excited to be a member of the Maple Leafs again.
"I really like these colours," he said after participating in an informal team practice on Tuesday. "You know, I'm excited to be here. Second time around . . . I had been trying to get back here for a while. So it's all good. I enjoy it. It's a privilege, obviously, to play for the Maple Leafs. So I feel very privileged." Cujo will serve as Vesa Toskala's backup this season in Toronto, as well as provide the team with a veteran presence in the dressing room.
Source: Calgary Herald

Derek Morris is confident that the Phoenix defense corps will be fine, despite the trading of Keith Ballard and Nick Boynton this summer.
"We understand how good (Boynton) was, we understand how good (Ballard) was, but the good thing is we got back a great player [Olli Jokinen], and we brought in two other Ds, who I think are different players from them, but I think will surprise a lot of people," said Morris. "It may take us a little while to silence the critics, but that's the way it goes." Morris also likes the off-season additions of Kurt Sauer and David Hale.
Source: Arizona Republic/Phoenix Gazette

Keith Yandle will likely be a mainstay in the Phoenix line-up as their third or fourth defenceman on the depth chart.
Yandle had some flashes of brilliance combined with flashes of terror over the 43 games he played last season. He looked sharp on the power-play scoring four of his five goals last seasons with the man advantage. There is a big opportunity for him to pair up with Zbynek Michalek as part of Phoenix's second line of defence. Add on the fact that his special team minutes will improve, Yandle should be on your waiver wire watch early in the season to see how much he improves on his five goals and seven assists from last year. Just beware of his puck control or sometimes his lack of it. Yandle finished the year a minus-12 rating.
Source: Arizona Republic/Phoenix Gazette

Capitals Brian Pothier is apparently still feeling the effects of post-concussion symptoms.
The team does not expect him to be ready to attend training camp when it gets underway next month. We will keep you posted.
Source: Boston Globe

I'm sure the Coyotes defense will be just fine with Keith Yandle as their fourth defenseman, especially considering Yandle makes lots of turnovers.
At best Yandle should be on the third defense pair with them, paired with Kurt Sauer and David Hale is a seventh defenseman.

Stars99Lobo37

Postby Stars99Lobo37 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:10 pm

Atlanta's defense corps is going to be much more proactive at both ends of the ice, according to new bench boss John Anderson.
The Thrashers' 'D' will press the opposition at the blueline and seek opportunities offensively as well. This should benefit the team's more offensive rearguards, like sophomore Tobias Enstrom and the newly signed Ron Hainsey.
Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Don't think that'll help them that much. They're in for a year of suckage.

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:17 pm

Stars99Lobo37 wrote:Don't think that'll help them that much. They're in for a year franchise of suckage.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

Stars99Lobo37

Postby Stars99Lobo37 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:26 pm

Well....at least they've been to the playoffs (kinda...sorta...not really) unlike Columbus.

Though, getting beat 7-0 in game 3 and swept in the first round is hardly a playoff series.

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:08 pm

Sakic signs 1-year deal with Avalanche.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=247711&lid= ... pStory_nhl
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

Jason

Postby Jason » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:17 pm

slapthemonkey wrote:
Stars99Lobo37 wrote:Don't think that'll help them that much. They're in for a year franchise of suckage.

Either way as long as they suck enough to get a top five pick they'll be fine if they can develop that talent.

coldbladed

Postby coldbladed » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:30 pm

slapthemonkey wrote:Sakic signs 1-year deal with Avalanche.

*sets watch*

Jason

Postby Jason » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:45 pm

Sharks sign the french pickle to a four year extension that starts after this upcoming season. The cap hit isn't known per year yet.

Jason

Postby Jason » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:14 am

French pickle's cap hit is $3.1 million a year. 4 years $12.4 million total.

Peter Forsberg is currently skating in Sweden, but says he is still not 100% healthy.
"Peter would like to play if his health will permit him. Right now he's working on his health issues related to his foot and there's nothing new on that," agent Don Baizley said. "It hasn't progressed to the point where we're in serious discussions with the team." Forsberg is still suffering from foot problems.
Source: TSN.ca

Stars99Lobo37

Postby Stars99Lobo37 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:46 am

slapthemonkey wrote:Sakic signs 1-year deal with Avalanche.

Buh Bye Hello Sakic

Stars99Lobo37

Postby Stars99Lobo37 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:47 am

Jason wrote:they'll be fine if they can develop that talent.

Which they can't.

Benck

Postby Benck » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:00 am

I know most people loath Forsberg, but I can't help but feel for the guy. He's clearly got the determination and talent to keep playing, but his body won't hold up for him. That has got to be one of the singular most frustrating parts of being a professional athlete, especially when you were once considered the best player in the world.

Also, good to see Sakic around another year. Colorado would not be the same without him, he's part of the team identity, the same way Modano is for Dallas.
righteousdude3 wrote:I approve of Christina Hendricks

Jason

Postby Jason » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:10 pm

Andrej Meszároš signs offer sheet of $5 million+ with a "unnamed team".

Assuming that it indeed is $5 million a year, Ottawa won't be able to match without making a trade.

Dallasman

Postby Dallasman » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:29 am

Jason wrote:Andrej Meszároš signs offer sheet of $5 million+ with a "unnamed team".

Assuming that it indeed is $5 million a year, Ottawa won't be able to match without making a trade.

I have a feeling the unnamed team is LA. They need to get to the cap floor and they could always use another young d-man. Plus, they can somewhat afford to give up their draft picks. Their young guys are coming along and they want to start winning soon. So to me, this is a team that makes the most sense.

Does anyone think it might be Dallas? I mean, we went after Redden this offseason looking for a replacement for Zubov. I know we have no cap room right now but we could make some if need be for a young up and coming d-man like this.

Jason

Postby Jason » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:07 pm

Well the Kings traded their own third rounder to the Canucks, so they would have to trade for it back to make a offer of $5.2 million.
Speculation is it's Tampa, but Tampa needs to acquire their third rounder back from Pittsburgh before they submit the offer sheet to the NHL.

Does anyone think it might be Dallas? I mean, we went after Redden this offseason looking for a replacement for Zubov. I know we have no cap room right now but we could make some if need be for a young up and coming d-man like this.

The Stars can afford him by dealing Boucher or Daley for picks, then sending Fabian to the minors for half the season and using someone cheaper like Pushkarev, Neal or Sawada.
There's other ways to afford him by dealing any combo of Ott or Robidas and Daley or Boucher. If sending Fabian down wasn't that realistic of a option.

Jason

Postby Jason » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:05 pm

Ottawa traded Andrej Meszároš to Tampa for defenseman Flip Kuba and Alexandre Picard, and San Jose's first rounder in 2009.

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=756688

Jason

Postby Jason » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:29 pm

1. The Wild has had a number of talks with the agent of longtime checking center Stephane Yelle, but right now, Yelle’s agent Larry Kelly says the Wild has informed him they are “holding off.”

Yelle, 34, a gritty character guy and terrific faceoff centerman, is a two-time Cup winner with Colorado and spent the past five seasons with Calgary. Obviously, the Wild is thin, thin, thin up the middle, and whether it’s Yelle or someone else, you’ve got to figure at some point before or during the season that the Wild will address this issue.

http://ww3.startribune.com/blogs/wildblog/

Yelle would be a good addition to the Wild, but they won't sign him since he can win faceoffs.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:40 pm

Tampa Bay signs Meszaros to a 6 year deal.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:25 pm

Fuckles.

inept

Postby inept » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:14 pm

damnit on selanne

paca

Postby paca » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:28 am

Jason wrote:Ottawa traded Andrej Meszároš to Tampa for defenseman Flip Kuba and Alexandre Picard, and San Jose's first rounder in 2009.

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=756688

Dang it. I liked Picard.

Benck

Postby Benck » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:57 pm

paca wrote:Dang it. I liked Picard.

The only Picard I care about:

righteousdude3 wrote:I approve of Christina Hendricks

Jason

Postby Jason » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:11 pm

Brian Mccabe trade to be made official on Tuesday
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=248234

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:06 am

Make it so.

Jason

Postby Jason » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:30 pm

TSN.ca wrote:The Ottawa Senators have acquired Ryan Shannon from the Vancouver Canucks in exchange for Lawrence Nycholat

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=248301

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:31 pm

Chris "Tony Danza" Chelios re-signed by the unstoppable Red Wings to a 1 year deal (including a $10,000 bonus contingent on how many people get murdered at his bar).

Jason

Postby Jason » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:47 pm

Bruins signed Stephane Yelle.

Jason

Postby Jason » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:50 pm

Rotoworld's player news

Detroit head coach Mike Babcock said that Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg will center the top two lines and won't play together when the team is at full strength.
"Not maybe -- for sure," Babcock said. "They're not playing together. It would be crazy to play them together. They both want to play center anyway." Look for Datsyuk to center Marian Hossa and Tomas Holmstrom and Zetterberg to be between Johan Franzen and Jiri Hudler. The Red Wings will be awfully tough with their top two lines so strong. All players will have lots of fantasy value this season.
Source: Detroit News

It appears that Jimmy Howard will spend the 2008-09 season with Grand Rapids of the AHL.
It looked like Howard would be the backup to Chris Osgood this season after the retirement of Dominik Hasek, but the Red Wings signed Ty Conklin in the off-season and Howard will get a lot of playing time in the AHL. "If Jimmy comes in and he’s obviously the best guy, then we’re going to have to re-evaluate," GM Ken Holland said. "Jimmy is going to lose any tie. I’ve explained that to Jimmy. Our plan is that he is going to be on our team in ‘09-10 for sure." Howard is worth selecting late in keeper pools.
Source: Detroit Free Press

The Buffalo Sabres and Jason Pominville continue to talk about a contract extension.
The Sabres have made a concerted effort to sign players before free agency since losing both Daniel Briere and Chris Drury last summer. They signed goalie Ryan Miller to a long-term deal this summer and should have Pominville locked up before he becomes a free agent next summer.
Source: Buffalo News

Marian Gaborik could become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the 2008-09 season.
Gaborik has one year left on his contract and while the Wild would absolutely love to hold on to him in a long term deal, Gaborik isn't rushing to decide at this time. "I like it here. Of course, it's been great times and experiences here," Gaborik said. "But I still have one more year on my contract. I want to be respected that I still have one year left, and I want to just focus on this year and just try to play the best I can. That's how it is. I don't want to think about my contract right now, and I don't want to be put in a position where I have to talk about it." Stay tuned as the Wild may want to get something for the talented Slovak at the trade deadline, if they are unable to sign him. Gaborik is an offensive talent who should be drafted in the third-fifth rounds in most drafts.
Source: Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune

The Montreal Canadiens are looking into the possibility of playing a game at Olympic stadium this year.
The "Big O", as it's more affectionately known as, was the home to baseball's Expos before they moved to Washington. Montreal is planning a ton of activities related to its 100th anniversary as a hockey club and this is only one of the ideas. However, the game is far from confirmed. A bevy of announcements regarding the centennial season will be announced on September 24. Stay tuned.
Source: Montreal Gazette

Rick DiPietro admitted that his surgically repaired left knee may not be 100% when training camp begins.
"I'm really optimistic and hellbent on being there for the first game," DiPietro said, who also had surgery on his right hip in March. That is three surgeries in just over a year's time. We think he'll be fine this season, but will once again be an island on Long Island, as the team in front of him is worse than the one that missed the playoffs last season. Wins will be hard to come by.
Source: Newsday

It's stupid the Wings are sending down Howard he should split time with Osgood.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:22 pm

Sens sign Isbister to a two-way deal.

and i agree with Jason, Howard should be splitting time with Osgood.