NHL off-season team reviews

Jason

NHL off-season team reviews

Postby Jason » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:14 pm

Sharks: They've looked to be on the edge of greatness the past several seasons, but after the Sharks failed to take advantage of an incredible run down the stretch, it was obvious some key changes were necessary. And San Jose didn't waste much time, dumping coach Ron Wilson and hiring rookie Todd McLellan, an assistant on the Stanley Cup-winning Red Wings. But the Sharks didn't stop there, largely because they were unable to re-sign one of the league's top puck-moving defenseman, Brian Campbell, who ended up with Chicago. That could turn out to be a bonus because the Sharks were able to use the money they saved to sign veteran free-agent defenseman Rob Blake, a former Norris Trophy winner, and to trade for Dan Boyle, a pretty good offensive defenseman, and veteran Brad Lukowich. San Jose had to move another solid veteran in Craig Rivet to accommodate the newcomers in the salary structure, but their blue line crew on the whole is better and more balanced than it was. Plus, the Sharks didn't have to throw captain Patrick Marleau into any of the deals. Grade: A-

An A-? Wow, these rankings are worse then I thought in fact the story probably wasn't even worth clicking on.
Article

Stars: Dallas was the West's most-improved team from the start of last season to finish, then ran out of gas deep in the playoffs against eventual Stanley Cup champion Detroit. But the Stars, who made a big deal at the trade deadline to acquire Brad Richards, showed they had a lot of character, not to mention the ability to complement scorers like Richards and Brenden Morrow with grittiness and toughness. The Stars added that by signing Sean Avery, the former Ranger who might be the league's most reviled player but one whose time in New York proved he can make a positive impact in a lineup. The best offseason move seems to have been largely overlooked because it took place during the playoffs when the Stars signed Fabian Brunnstrom, a highly coveted Swedish star who was courted by nearly a dozen teams. Dallas did lose a couple of good role players to free agency in Niklas Hagman and Antti Miettinen, but the bulk of the lineup is relatively intact, and the farm system has been doing a good job of feeding talent in the past couple of years. Grade: B

Northwest
Southeast
Central
Northeast
Atlantic

Stars99Lobo37

Re: NHL off-season team reviews

Postby Stars99Lobo37 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:22 pm

Miettinen was a "role" player for us?

Hagman I can see in the regular season...

But we succeed in the playoffs without either of them doing jack for us.

Not sure how San Jose gets a better ranking than us. I honestly can't see them being any better than they were last season.

Jason

Postby Jason » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:26 pm

Stars99Lobo37 wrote:Miettinen was a "role" player for us?

Nope, he was the best in taking on the expanded offense role.

Stars99Lobo37 wrote:Hagman I can see in the regular season...

and he won't have to worry about doing anything in the playoffs for several years.

Stars99Lobo37 wrote:Not sure how San Jose gets a better ranking than us. I honestly can't see them being any better than they were last season.

They are older slower and traded some younger players/picks which is good.
I think people just assume OMG Rob Blake a Shark and Dan Boyle, they're automatically better then last year. Just imagine if they go and sign Glenn Murray people will still think he's like a 30+ goal scorer and therefore the Sharks are gonna win the cup
Last edited by Jason on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:30 pm

the Sharks have been overrated and handpicked by Hockey analysts for years now.

this year is no different. it just makes it funnier for when they eventually bow out in the 2nd round again.

i can only imagine the circle jerk going on over at TheFeeder in regards to this article.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

Crimson_Star

Postby Crimson_Star » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:11 am

Stars99Lobo37 wrote:Miettinen was a "role" player for us?

Hagman I can see in the regular season...

But we succeed in the playoffs without either of them doing jack for us.

Not sure how San Jose gets a better ranking than us. I honestly can't see them being any better than they were last season.

I think "role player" is a pretty good description for those guys. Both played up and down the lineup when needed to (Miettinen had a very good couple weeks on the top line while Lehts was out). Hagman played the penalty kill, Miets filled in on the power play when nobody else was available. Very "role player"-esque to me. The good thing is, though, that role players are pretty easy to replace. At least, much easier than top-pairing defenseman or first-line center.

puck you

Postby puck you » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:15 am

No mention of Stu Barnes leaving? Now you know it's not credible.

Dat1guy

Postby Dat1guy » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:26 am

puck you wrote:No mention of Stu Barnes leaving? Now you know it's not credible.

No concrete announcement has been made, so there's that.

puck you

Postby puck you » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:41 am

Yeah, but even when there's speculation, you know sports reporters cannot keep their hands off that. I mean, *fargin'* Mats Sundin has been in the news for the last 2 months and he hasn't done a damn thing.

Dat1guy

Postby Dat1guy » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:47 am

puck you wrote:Yeah, but even when there's speculation, you know sports reporters cannot keep their hands off that. I mean, *fargin'* Mats Sundin has been in the news for the last 2 months and he hasn't done a damn thing.

Stu news vs. Mats news? Really?

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:54 am

I think people fail to realize that a full season of Richards' level of production is going to more than make up for Hagman's and Miettinen's production.
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

Dallasman

Postby Dallasman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:52 am

ScubaSteve wrote:I think people fail to realize that a full season of Richards' level of production is going to more than make up for Hagman's and Miettinen's production.

I realized this from the day we acquired Richards. He makes our team that much better.

Jason

Postby Jason » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:56 am

ScubaSteve wrote:I think people fail to realize that a full season of Richards' level of production is going to more than make up for Hagman's and Miettinen's production.

No one can replace Miettinen at all.
How can someone possibly replace this?

Wrritten in wikipedia type form
Antti Miettinen is a natural goal scorer that is waiting to get his chance to take on an expanded offense role with his new team the Minnesota Wild.
Miettinen's favorite play is carrying the puck into the offense zone and his favorite type of shot is into a glass. His favorite team in the Nashville Predators, which he only plays four times a season and his favorite player is Jordin Tootoo.
Miettinen is vastly underpaid at $2.3 million a year, he is the second best goal scorer in the league, behind only Niklas Hagman.

Stars99Lobo37

Postby Stars99Lobo37 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:13 am

Crimson_Star wrote:I think "role player" is a pretty good description for those guys. Both played up and down the lineup when needed to (Miettinen had a very good couple weeks on the top line while Lehts was out). Hagman played the penalty kill, Miets filled in on the power play when nobody else was available. Very "role player"-esque to me. The good thing is, though, that role players are pretty easy to replace. At least, much easier than top-pairing defenseman or first-line center.

I think both of us have different definitions for "role player."

When I think of a role player, I think of Morrow Ribeiro Lehtinen Turco and now Richards.

Miettinen was a filler to me. He had a good month on the Morrow/Ribeiro line and that was it. Hagman was (key word) a role player for a good part of the first half of the season. Even in the 2nd half, he came up with the role player mentality. But in the playoffs, he too become a filler. He just was invisible. And that one good game he did have, well...he can fully thank Brad Richards for that game. I can agree with Hagman on the PK was a big deal for us....but Miettinen, God no. I can't tell you how happy I am he is gone.

Crimson_Star

Postby Crimson_Star » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:21 am

Stars99Lobo37 wrote:
Crimson_Star wrote:I think "role player" is a pretty good description for those guys. Both played up and down the lineup when needed to (Miettinen had a very good couple weeks on the top line while Lehts was out). Hagman played the penalty kill, Miets filled in on the power play when nobody else was available. Very "role player"-esque to me. The good thing is, though, that role players are pretty easy to replace. At least, much easier than top-pairing defenseman or first-line center.

When I think of a role player, I think of Morrow Ribeiro Lehtinen Turco and now Richards.

Miettinen was a filler to me. He had a good month on the Morrow/Ribeiro line and that was it. Hagman was (key word) a role player for a good part of the first half of the season. Even in the 2nd half, he came up with the role player mentality. But in the playoffs, he too become a filler. He just was invisible. And that one good game he did have, well...he can fully thank Brad Richards for that game. I can agree with Hagman on the PK was a big deal for us....but Miettinen, God no. I can't tell you how happy I am he is gone.

Yeah, very different definitions. Also, yours is wrong compared to just about every definition I've heard as it pertains to sports. Stu is what I consider the prototypical role player. Mike Keane was a great role player for the Cup teams. Modano is becoming a role player. Your first line and your franchise goalie aren't role players.

Stars99Lobo37

Postby Stars99Lobo37 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:26 am

Crimson_Star wrote:Yeah, very different definitions. Also, yours is wrong compared to just about every definition I've heard as it pertains to sports. Stu is what I consider the prototypical role player. Mike Keane was a great role player for the Cup teams. Modano is becoming a role player. Your first line and your franchise goalie aren't role players.

For some reason I lol'd right when I read that.

I have role players - fillers - then extras. Role Players = Star players too me.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:17 am

I'm going to have to go with Crimson on this one.

Every time I ever read anything about role players, it's always in reference to 3rd line type.

Morrow, Turco, Richards = "core" players.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

eartotheground

Postby eartotheground » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:02 am

Crimson_Star wrote:
Stars99Lobo37 wrote:

Yeah, very different definitions. Also, yours is wrong compared to just about every definition I've heard as it pertains to sports. Stu is what I consider the prototypical role player. Mike Keane was a great role player for the Cup teams. Modano is becoming a role player. Your first line and your franchise goalie aren't role players.

+1 Lobo, skip more classes and watch more Sportscentre.

Jason

Postby Jason » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:28 pm

Even better a team with a A- off-season doesn't go over the cap like the Sharks currently are.