Harsh, man

slaps

Harsh, man

Postby slaps » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:04 am

Wow, Tippett is not known for using the media to call people out.

From Heika's blog.

Stars coach Dave Tippett was not pleased after the shootout loss.

He was upset with the fact the Stars had 30 shots that were either blocked or missed the net _ including several by key players on the power play _ and he called out Mark Fistric as a disappointment in the pre-season.

Tippett was asked if the waiver wire pickup of Doug Janik was designed to light a fire under players such as Dan Jancevski and Garrett Stafford, and he answered with this:

"The guy that needs to have a fire lit under him is Fistric. He's been very poor, very poor. He needs to be better. That's a guy where there's just too many errors out there...He's got to be a guy who has the ability to play against the other team's top players, and he's been struggling.''
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

Benck

Re: Harsh, man

Postby Benck » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:51 am

That's a pretty random call out.

Sure, let's ride the guy that hasn't even played a full NHL season as the 7th D and overachieved in the playoffs.
righteousdude3 wrote:I approve of Christina Hendricks

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:54 am

Fist him?

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:58 am

Benck wrote:That's a pretty random call out.

Sure, let's ride the guy that hasn't even played a full NHL season as the 7th D and overachieved in the playoffs.

Wonder if its a situation where he sees his potential, sees what he did later in the year last year, and wants to make sure Fistric doesn't buy into his own headlines.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:11 pm

cdanew wrote:
Benck wrote:That's a pretty random call out.

Wonder if its a situation where he sees his potential, sees what he did later in the year last year, and wants to make sure Fistric doesn't buy into his own headlines.

Maybe - but slaps is right that it's odd. I remember one year where several of the leaders of the team ended up in the penalty box at the end of the game and Tip sarcastically said something about a leadership meeting, but don't remember all of the details. I don't know that I remember this kind of call out of a player specifically.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:39 pm

I thought it was weird because the guy is what, 20? With all of 40 NHL games under his belt? I can see calling out a veteran like that, but not some young kid who already knows he isn't playing well and doesn't need to see it done in public.

If a Boucher or Zubov sucks like that, by all means. But a rookie kid? Take him aside and tell him that.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:52 pm

slapthemonkey wrote:I thought it was weird because the guy is what, 20? With all of 40 NHL games under his belt? I can see calling out a veteran like that, but not some young kid who already knows he isn't playing well and doesn't need to see it done in public.

If a Boucher or Zubov sucks like that, by all means. But a rookie kid? Take him aside and tell him that.

The only thing I can think is that other motivational tactics haven't worked, but I still agree with you.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

Kritter47

Postby Kritter47 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:59 pm

It may depend on the personality of the player, and how much Tippett has already told him.

Who knows, maybe Tippett and Fistric have had several long conversations this preseason, but Fistric isn't getting any better. *shrugs*
mookie1010 wrote:*f-bomb*. I hate it when Kritter is right.

Stars99Lobo37

Postby Stars99Lobo37 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:45 pm

1) Good thing it was in his blog and not in his articles.

2) Forget to mention off the record?

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:22 pm

tip's calling out fistric? has he seen how awful robidas has been?
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

eartotheground

Postby eartotheground » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:19 pm

Makes me wonder if it's a work ethic issue.

Jason

Postby Jason » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:16 am

eartotheground wrote:Makes me wonder if it's a work ethic issue.

Doubt it since Fistric is known for his strong work ethic.
Considering Fistric had mono, I wonder if it's related to his conditioning not being 100% right now.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:01 am

Jason wrote:
eartotheground wrote:Makes me wonder if it's a work ethic issue.

Doubt it since Fistric is known for his strong work ethic.
Considering Fistric had mono, I wonder if it's related to his conditioning not being 100% right now.

That's what he gets for making out with Richards. They don't call it the kissing disease for nothing.

Stars99Lobo37

Postby Stars99Lobo37 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:08 am

ScubaSteve wrote:has he seen how awful robidas has been?

That's the understatement of the year so far.