Mike Smith article

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 35153
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Mike Smith article

Postby slaps » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:07 pm

For those of you keeping up with him, here is a nice article on Smitty.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/l ... 826114.ece

Smith said he focused his summer workouts on flexibility and injury resistance. He gained 7 pounds of muscle and now has 218 pounds on a 6-foot-3 frame.

With the intimidating John Tortorella fired in June, he also has a new coach.

"It's a fresh start for everyone," Smith said. "Not everyone is out there gripping their sticks and white-knuckling it. They're not thinking out there. They're just playing the game. That makes a world of difference.

"Barry is a guy, yeah, you can make mistakes. He's probably going to get upset. Mistakes are part of the game. But with a guy not down your back all the time, it's nice to be able to play and have fun."

Smith played with confidence against the Rangers, showing off his puck-handling skills and, by Raeder's count, making eight passes to the defense that resulted in breakouts.

"It's a whole 'nother dimension getting out of our zone," Raeder said. "He handled the puck with a purpose, and that excited me."

"This is the chance I've been waiting for," Smith said. "I've waited my whole life to be a No. 1 guy."



Good luck, dude. I think you're going to need it with TB's defense.

I think he will do just fine, though.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 41971
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: Mike Smith article

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:21 pm

Has any team produced more starting goaltenders than us over the last decade?

Turco
Smith
Ellis
Bacashihua (started for a while in STL)
Fernandez
Turek
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 35153
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: Mike Smith article

Postby slaps » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:28 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Has any team produced more starting goaltenders than us over the last decade?

Turco
Smith
Ellis
Bacashihua (started for a while in STL)
Fernandez
Turek




I think that was why, when they picked Beskrowawny (or however) at the draft, most people just said "Well, they know what they are doing when it comes to goalies. We'll see him in about 6 years."
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

User avatar
Stars2099
Posts: 10732
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Mike Smith article

Postby Stars2099 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:23 pm

slapthemonkey wrote:
ScubaSteve wrote:Has any team produced more starting goaltenders than us over the last decade?

Turco
Smith
Ellis
Bacashihua (started for a while in STL)
Fernandez
Turek




I think that was why, when they picked Beskrowawny (or however) at the draft, most people just said "Well, they know what they are doing when it comes to goalies. We'll see him in about 6 years."


too bad we're not that good when it comes to top scorers like the dead wings.
Official Quota of TSF.com

User avatar
wonko80
Posts: 16911
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: Frisco

Re: Mike Smith article

Postby wonko80 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:44 pm

I don't see Alan Bester on that list.

User avatar
Knives Out
Posts: 20077
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 pm
Location: MTL-TO-TX

Re: Mike Smith article

Postby Knives Out » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:26 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Has any team produced more starting goaltenders than us over the last decade?

Turco
Smith
Ellis
Bacashihua (started for a while in STL)
Fernandez
Turek


i was thinking about this the other day.

it also made me think of all the ex-Stars that went on to Captain a team once gone:

Langenbrunner
Arnott
Guerin
Hatcher (for a period with the Flyers)
Iginla
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

paca

Re: Mike Smith article

Postby paca » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:40 pm

Thanks for posting that article, slaps.

I don't agree with this part:

He never before has been a No. 1, and he didn't exactly light it up after being acquired in February from the Stars as the centerpiece of the Brad Richards deal; he was 3-10 in 13 games with a 2.79 goals-against average and an .893 save percentage.

He played very well. He didn't have much of a team in front of him.

User avatar
5minmajor
Posts: 16963
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:39 pm

Re: Mike Smith article

Postby 5minmajor » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:11 pm

paca wrote:Thanks for posting that article, slaps.

I don't agree with this part:

He never before has been a No. 1, and he didn't exactly light it up after being acquired in February from the Stars as the centerpiece of the Brad Richards deal; he was 3-10 in 13 games with a 2.79 goals-against average and an .893 save percentage.

He played very well. He didn't have much of a team in front of him.


Which part did'nt you agree with?
That he'd never been a No. 1 before? or that he was the main Dallas part in the trade?
Was it the "didn't exactly light it up" phrase, when used as a description for his 3-10 record with a 2.79 GAA and a .893 save percentage? All seem accurate to me.
"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

paca

Re: Mike Smith article

Postby paca » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:51 pm

I didn't write that very well. What I meant was that his stats are misleading. Sure, he didn't win many games, but I watched him play. He played very well, but his team stunk.

User avatar
mookie1010
Site Admin
Posts: 33751
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: East Side

Re: Mike Smith article

Postby mookie1010 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:47 pm

paca wrote:I didn't write that very well. What I meant was that his stats are misleading. Sure, he didn't win many games, but I watched him play. He played very well, but his team stunk.

I still got your meaning from the post.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

paca

Re: Mike Smith article

Postby paca » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:50 pm

mookie1010 wrote:I still got your meaning from the post.

Of course, you did. You're quicker than 5min.

User avatar
mookie1010
Site Admin
Posts: 33751
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: East Side

Re: Mike Smith article

Postby mookie1010 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:52 pm

paca wrote:
mookie1010 wrote:I still got your meaning from the post.

Of course, you did. You're quicker 73 years younger than 5min.

FIXT.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

User avatar
5minmajor
Posts: 16963
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:39 pm

Re: Mike Smith article

Postby 5minmajor » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:19 pm

mookie1010 wrote:
paca wrote:
mookie1010 wrote:I still got your meaning from the post.

Of course, you did. You're quicker 73 years younger than 5min.

FIXT.


Ouch!
But at least I can still type what I mean and read what is typed, unlike you two!
"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 35153
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: Mike Smith article

Postby slaps » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:22 pm

5minmajor wrote:But at least I can still type what I mean and read what is typed, unlike you two!



It's the comprehension that goes first with age.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

paca

Re: Mike Smith article

Postby paca » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:23 pm

Mookie, I also meant to mention that you are clearly more attractive than 5min.

User avatar
5minmajor
Posts: 16963
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:39 pm

Re: Mike Smith article

Postby 5minmajor » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:28 pm

Nice, everybody gang up on the still middle aged guy.
Thank god I can't remember what I did to start this.
Early onset alztheimers has it's benefits :D
"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

User avatar
mookie1010
Site Admin
Posts: 33751
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: East Side

Re: Mike Smith article

Postby mookie1010 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:59 pm

paca wrote:Mookie, I also meant to mention that you are clearly more attractive than 5min.

Yeah, um, I'd reserve judgment on that if I were you.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

Benck
Posts: 14257
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Hall of Fame

Re: Mike Smith article

Postby Benck » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:11 pm

I want you all to know how amazing it is to be young. I mean, seriously, this is awesome. I'll never be like you!
righteousdude3 wrote:I approve of Christina Hendricks

User avatar
SaintAngerBH
Posts: 12646
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: Mike Smith article

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:15 am

...
Last edited by SaintAngerBH on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paca

Re: Mike Smith article

Postby paca » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:38 pm

mookie1010 wrote:
paca wrote:Mookie, I also meant to mention that you are clearly more attractive than 5min.

Yeah, um, I'd reserve judgment on that if I were you.

Well, I was just basing my judgment on a picture of the back of your head.

User avatar
5minmajor
Posts: 16963
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:39 pm

Re: Mike Smith article

Postby 5minmajor » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:30 pm

paca wrote:
mookie1010 wrote:
paca wrote:Mookie, I also meant to mention that you are clearly more attractive than 5min.

Yeah, um, I'd reserve judgment on that if I were you.

Well, I was just basing my judgment on a picture of the back of your head.


Thanks a lot.
Love you too!
"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

paca

Re: Mike Smith article

Postby paca » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:34 pm

5minmajor wrote:Thanks a lot.
Love you too!

:D

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests