NHL Center Ice Online

Doppler213

NHL Center Ice Online

Postby Doppler213 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:56 am

Anyone ever purchased Center Ice online? If so, did you like it? Do you remember if there was a trial period at the beginning of the season?

I'm on the edge of ditching FiOS TV for DirectTV, but that would require a big up-front investment in HD DVRs. FiOS is about to roll out their upgraded service and it will NOT include inDemand channels (NHL Center Ice, MLB Extra Innings, etc.). The upside with DirectTV is they also carry the NHL Network. Is whole dish - weather problem a big deal or does it not go out that often? That's my biggest worry (in addition to the upfront costs)

Stars99Lobo37

Re: NHL Center Ice Online

Postby Stars99Lobo37 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:20 am

I got it last season.

It was a lot more behind than the TV feed...but I liked it because I got to go back and watch past games, etc. If you don't have it on TV, I would no doubt get it on the computer.

StarsFaninCO

Postby StarsFaninCO » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:21 am

Doppler213 wrote:Anyone ever purchased Center Ice online? If so, did you like it? Do you remember if there was a trial period at the beginning of the season?

I'm on the edge of ditching FiOS TV for DirectTV, but that would require a big up-front investment in HD DVRs. FiOS is about to roll out their upgraded service and it will NOT include inDemand channels (NHL Center Ice, MLB Extra Innings, etc.). The upside with DirectTV is they also carry the NHL Network. Is whole dish - weather problem a big deal or does it not go out that often? That's my biggest worry (in addition to the upfront costs)

I love DTV. I've had it both legally and with a 'test card' for over 10 yrs. I live in an area with rough weather and unless the dish is completely covered with heavy snow, I don't have any problems. I've had just about every DTV receiver from Sony and recently DTV branded stuff. While I loved the Sony/Tivo combos that I had, the recent DTV/HDDRV's are ok. I currently have the most recent HR21-xxx and while there are a few bugs with it, overall it is pretty awesome. There are rumors that DTV and Tivo are getting in bed again. IF that's true, I'll probably be upgrading to that when it happens too.

Oh, as for CI online? I take it you're describing streaming Center Ice games? I wasn't aware they were doing this, so no, I have no comments on it :)

Hope this helps. (oh, I don't work for DTV directly, but the company I do work for resells it. This is just disclosure, but believe me, I've had it long before I came to work for this company and I don't even use the company discount)
When seconds count, the police are just minutes away defunded. You're on your own.
80 Million gun owners didn't kill anyone yesterday.
37,000 of those gun deaths annually are suicides. Problem solved.

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:38 am

Why you no likey the FiOS?
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:43 am

They can monkey with the upfront costs. Don't get swindled into a two or three hundred dollar up-front fee. I've gotten every one of my DVR's, both standard and HD for free from the day I switched.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

Doppler213

Postby Doppler213 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:49 am

slapthemonkey wrote:Why you no likey the FiOS?

I love FiOS, but they don't offer NHL Network nor NHL Center Ice.

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:12 pm

Doppler213 wrote:

Center Ice is coming, so they say.

I never paid much attention because all the Stars games are televised.

Doppler213

Postby Doppler213 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:32 pm

slapthemonkey wrote:
Doppler213 wrote:

Center Ice is coming, so they say.

I never paid much attention because all the Stars games are televised.

Yeah, it is what they say, but they've been saying it for a long time. And Oct. 8th (at least at my house) the big upgrade is coming with all the HD channels and Center Ice isn't part of the upgrade.

I did some poking around on the Internet and apparently it's an issue with inDemand (who carries Center Ice, MLB, NBA, etc...). The Internet rumors are that inDemand has contracts in place with DISH, DirectTV, and major cable companies, but FiOS is new and inDemand is trying to get a hefty chunk of change to allow FiOS to carry inDemand. And, apparently FiOS is more concerned with movies than sports, and so things are at a standstill. To me that means that the girl on the phone trying to get you to keep FiOS says 'it's coming' but in reality it's still far far away.

dyhp

Postby dyhp » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:42 pm

Doppler213 wrote:

Where do you live Doppler?

Doppler213

Postby Doppler213 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:28 pm

dyhp wrote:
Doppler213 wrote:

Lewisville

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:38 pm

Doppler213 wrote:
dyhp wrote:
Doppler213 wrote:

Lewisville

You'll get all the Stars games.

I guess, then, that you simply want to be able to see all the games?

And just think, I live very close to you. Be afraid, be very afraid.

dyhp

Postby dyhp » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:41 pm

Doppler213 wrote:
dyhp wrote:
Doppler213 wrote:

Lewisville

Are you getting Center ice to get Stars games? Because I know people living outside of Dallas have complained about a lot of games getting blacked out on center ice.

As far as weather is concerned, really the only issue if heavy wind.

Doppler213

Postby Doppler213 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:19 pm

Lantana? That is close, but a whole lot nicer than my end of 407. I think you're the one that should be afraid.

And yeah, I just enjoy being able to watch all games. I have no trouble getting all Stars games locally.

Thanks for the input! I have a feeling I'll be a DirectTV customer in the next couple weeks...

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:27 pm

Doppler213 wrote:Lantana? That is close, but a whole lot nicer than my end of 407. I think you're the one that should be afraid.

And yeah, I just enjoy being able to watch all games. I have no trouble getting all Stars games locally.

Thanks for the input! I have a feeling I'll be a DirectTV customer in the next couple weeks...

I lived in Old Town Lewisville, over by Mill and Main, until a few months ago.

I had a much better experience with DiSH than I did with DTV, personally. But I don't know if DiSH has Center Ice.

I had satellite for a long time before FiOS, and all I ever had problems with was high winds in big storms. Satellites these days are pretty small.
Last edited by slaps on Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StarsFaninCO

Postby StarsFaninCO » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:40 pm

Doppler213 wrote:Lantana? That is close, but a whole lot nicer than my end of 407. I think you're the one that should be afraid.

If you do, and you're worried about removing ice (you guys don't really get snow), there are a couple of things you can do. 1) they make heaters you can install on the dish, 2) place the dish low enough you can remove the ice/snow 3) use a lawn/garden sprayer with HOT water to melt the ice/snow.
When seconds count, the police are just minutes away defunded. You're on your own.

Doppler213

Postby Doppler213 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:16 pm

DiSH has it but DTV has a really good special right now that includes Sunday Ticket, which only DTV has, so I might as well go with DTV.

Good tips on getting ice off the dish. I hadn't thought about it, but I guess it could be an issue once or twice a year.

Jason

Postby Jason » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:45 pm

StarsFaninCO wrote:If you do, and you're worried about removing ice (you guys don't really get snow), there are a couple of things you can do. .

How do you get ice on your dish in Colorado when I don't get any ice on mine in Minnesota?
I don't have any heater or anything installed on my dish.

StarsFaninCO

Postby StarsFaninCO » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:03 pm

Jason wrote:
StarsFaninCO wrote:If you do, and you're worried about removing ice (you guys don't really get snow), there are a couple of things you can do. .

How do you get ice on your dish in Colorado when I don't get any ice on mine in Minnesota?
I don't have any heater or anything installed on my dish.

I don't get ice much, mostly snow. But in Texas they have ice storms, not snow...

ShinerDraft

Postby ShinerDraft » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:20 pm

StarsFaninCO wrote:I currently have the most recent HR21-xxx and while there are a few bugs with it, overall it is pretty awesome.

I'm happy with my DTV DVR's as well. They already have them to where you can run music, videos & pics off your PC thru the DVR. The next software release (shouldn't be long) will let things go the other way (to the PC). Soon after, they should have Multi-Room-Viewing. They're working on 1080p also..

StarsFaninCO wrote:There are rumors that DTV and Tivo are getting in bed again. IF that's true, I'll probably be upgrading to that when it happens too.

Confirmed - at least to the extent that there was an official press release & papers filed with the FCC. It's supposed to be out Late next year.

There are some pretty good specials going right now for new signups. I think it works out to $500 in savings for the first two years.. Something like that, anyway..

Rebel

Postby Rebel » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:11 pm

F2A people. I don't know how many times I have to say it. Just get an illegal dish.

Doppler213

Postby Doppler213 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:56 pm

Update for those who have bought Center Ice Online in the past. It's being re-branded to go along with the new NHL website. It'll now going to be called NHL Gamecenter. See the link below. There will be a free preview Oct 10-12.

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/index.html