5/10 @ Chicago (7PM CT) - One last OTL for posterity

ToddM

Re: 5/10 @ Chicago (7PM CT) - One last OTL for posterity

Postby ToddM » Mon May 10, 2021 10:36 pm

Just watched the highlights.... didn't look like either team was all that interested in playing defense.

Oettinger continues to give up 1-on-0 and 2-on-0 breakaway goals. Which makes him *exactly like every other NHL goalie*--high danger breakaways are high danger for a reason. Fortunately he's above average in every single other type of shot, which makes up for it. Still, tho, you'd like to see him fix that aspect of his game.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Mon May 10, 2021 10:41 pm

ToddM wrote:Just watched the highlights.... didn't look like either team was all that interested in playing defense.

Oettinger continues to give up 1-on-0 and 2-on-0 breakaway goals. Which makes him *exactly like every other NHL goalie*--high danger breakaways are high danger for a reason. Fortunately he's above average in every single other type of shot, which makes up for it. Still, tho, you'd like to see him fix that aspect of his game.

“Exactly” is a bit of a stretch. I agree that goalies are at a disadvantage in those situations and shouldn’t be judged just on that metric, but my man is like 0-163 on breakaways this season. You’d think he’d accidentally fall in the way of at least a puck or two.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon May 10, 2021 10:49 pm

...and yet he still finished his rookie season with a .914 save percentage, which means on non-breakaways, he's getting like 95% of them.

For a rookie, that's really good.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon May 10, 2021 10:57 pm

mookie1010 wrote:
ToddM wrote:Just watched the highlights.... didn't look like either team was all that interested in playing defense.

“Exactly” is a bit of a stretch. I agree that goalies are at a disadvantage in those situations and shouldn’t be judged just on that metric, but my man is like 0-163 on breakaways this season. You’d think he’d accidentally fall in the way of at least a puck or two.

Yeah, most goalies stop most of the breakaways they face. Oettinger’s .500 shootout save percentage and .333 penalty shot save percentage are among the very worst in the league. It’s a major flaw in his game.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Tue May 11, 2021 7:21 am

Good way to end the season, an OT win for a nice change.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Tue May 11, 2021 9:22 am

So I missed this game, mostly because I stopped caring about this season, and went to the Stars site to watch the highlights. Their tagline for the game last night is "Stars go out on top!"

I mean, just *f-bomb* right off.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue May 11, 2021 10:15 am

wonko80 wrote:So I missed this game, mostly because I stopped caring about this season, and went to the Stars site to watch the highlights. Their tagline for the game last night is "Stars go out on top!"

I mean, just *f-bomb* right off.

Considering everyone who works for that organization has some form of delusional disorder, I'm not surprised.

I didn't consciously stop watching weeks ago out of anger. I just got bored and lost interest. I will regain interest when they finally decide that the Nill era should be mercifully put out of its misery.
Math wrote:I love incest

5minmajor

Postby 5minmajor » Tue May 11, 2021 1:11 pm

If this is true, why can't the Stars ever score on a 1 or 2 on 0 breakaway?
"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Tue May 11, 2021 1:19 pm

Maybe that's the problem. The only breakaway practice Oettinger gets is against Comeau and Cogliano and Dickinson and the like. When he has to face actual real players in a game, it's a level of skill he doesn't face in training.
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

Math

Postby Math » Tue May 11, 2021 1:20 pm

Because they mostly involve Cogliano, Sekera or Comeau.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue May 11, 2021 2:09 pm

5minmajor wrote:

If this is true, why can't the Stars ever score on a 1 or 2 on 0 breakaway?

It's not true. Oettinger is one of the league worst goalies at facing breakaways.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue May 11, 2021 3:20 pm

He's a decent game goalie, though. Surely, a good goalie coach could fix the breakaway thing.

Of course, that requires the Stars actually hiring a good goalie coach. Good luck with that.
Math wrote:I love incest

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue May 11, 2021 3:33 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:He's a decent game goalie, though. Surely, a good goalie coach could fix the breakaway thing.

Of course, that requires the Stars actually hiring a good goalie coach. Good luck with that.

The compressed schedule may play a role in him getting no better at breakaways considering they had next to no practice time for the back half of the season.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue May 11, 2021 3:54 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
SaintAngerBH wrote:He's a decent game goalie, though. Surely, a good goalie coach could fix the breakaway thing.

The compressed schedule may play a role in him getting no better at breakaways considering they had next to no practice time for the back half of the season.

Their last practice was Feb 28th, I believe.

Math

Postby Math » Wed May 12, 2021 7:16 am

I think Stéphane Waite is still available. He previously worked with Crawford and Price and was part of the fired personnel when the Habs dumped Julien. Otherwise I agree, he's still very young, there's a lot of room for improvement and his major issue is already pinned.